Surviving the Rich-Sunshine and Sir Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I have to get to The Hillcrest," she said, without looking at him.

He tsked under his breath and said, "No more of that."

"No more of what?" she said, turning around.

"Running from me." He moved closer, his eyes on her lips, the temptation to take just one taste overwhelming.

"I don't work for you," she said. "Not yet."

The challenge was back in her eyes and he couldn't help it, he grinned ear to ear. She started to turn and he grasped her waist, pulling her snugly to him. Her curls fell across her face and he brushed them back, winding the last one around his finger. The protest died before it left her lips and her irises fluctuated as the battle within her raged. She wanted him as much as he wanted her, but she fought, and not because of her husband. Keeping herself detached from her desires was a defense mechanism. She had walls thicker than a steel reinforced bank vault, her vulnerability locked away, her heart safe. Tucking that last spiral behind her ear, he gripped the back of her head and drew her lips to his. He was going to demolish those walls and she knew it. This battle was lost, and the war would only prolong the inevitable. "You're already mine sunshine."

Her eyes flashed fire and he smiled, engulfing her lips with his own. Others had tried calling her sunshine, or their rae of sunshine, and she always shot them down. But he wasn't them. Coaxing and teasing, he kissed her tenderly savoring the sweet warmth of her mouth, the faintest hint of strawberries on her velvet lips. They were her favorite, and he intended to use that. Heat spread throughout her body catching up to inferno raging through his, and her bag hit the ground. He walked her towards the wall, unleashing the hunger, letting her feel the full depth of it. Her back hit the wall and small noises of pleasure bubbled up from her throat, her chest heaving against his. He ground his hips into hers and she gasped. He did it again and her hips curled in response. He could take her now. She wouldn't protest. Curling his hand until he was clenching her hair, he was tempted to tear her pants off and sink his throbbing cock inside her. Intensifying his attentions, he stole her breath over and over again, and then eased up, his kiss becoming tender and gentle. He wanted her, but now was not the right time. She was going to yearn for him, ache for his touch, and only then would he take her. Not before.

Holding her face in his hands he smiled and pressed his lips lightly to hers, the promise of what was to come sealed with a kiss. He let her go and picked up her bag. She stayed leaning against the wall, confused, turned on, torn, and speechless. It was too tempting to pass up. "Are you ok?" he asked.

Instantly her demeanor shifted and she gave him a withering look. "Shut up."

"If you need to sit down for a minute or two and catch your breath, I'd be happy to get you a glass of water."

She took her bag, the steel in her eyes telling him he was treading dangerous waters. Swallowing the chuckle, he smiled and said, "Maybe I'll stop in later for a drink. To celebrate."

She opened her mouth to reply, and then thinking better of it, headed for the door. When Stella saw them she waited, her eyebrows raised.

He gave her a nod and said, "Rae is joining our family."

"Wonderful," Stella said, smiling.

He watched them disappear down the hall, and then looked around his office. He chuckled and shook his head. She was right on just about everything but the desk. It was even older. He couldn't stop smiling, his plan would need some tweaking, but one thing he knew for sure. She'd be completely his by the time he was through.

********************

Ryan poked his head into the coatroom, a smirk on his face. "Your boyfriend's here. In one hell of car too. Maybe you should divorce Jimmy and marry Laird. If not for love do it for money. Then let me drive the McLaren."

Rae downed her water and walked out of the coatroom. The valets were admiring the car, and Killian was eating it up, answering questions with a big smile on his face. "I've only ever seen photos," she said, grudgingly impressed. "Now I want to drive one."

Ryan looked at her and said, "I'm sure your boyfr-"

"I didn't see a reservation for Killian this evening," Victoria said, appearing next to Lucia. She looked questioningly at Rae, her short blond hair just brushing her chin, and the back collar of her beige suit jacket.

Rae shook her head and said, "He didn't call."

Killian glanced inside as he was handed a ticket and she knew immediately he was coming in for the kill. Except she hadn't had a chance to give Victoria her letter of resignation yet or talk to her about leaving.

Killian walked inside and Victoria stepped around the desk smiling, her hand out. "Killian, always a pleasure."

"Victoria," he said, shaking her hand. "Busy night."

"Your usual booth is taken," she said, as Rae took his coat. "Can I set up a table for you in the main dining room tonight?"

"Thanks, but I'm going to the bar. Would you join me? I have something I'd like to discuss with you."

Victoria smiled brightly and they chatted quietly as they walked to the bar. Rae pretended disinterest, while surrepticiously watching every moment. The bartender put a drink in front of Killian and all of a sudden Victoria was looking right at her. Rae didn't react, she answered the phone, hoping Victoria wasn't pissed.

After about another ten minutes Victoria shook Killian's hand again and came towards the desk, her eyes on Rae. "So that's what you wanted to talk to me about after your shift."

"I'm so sorry Victoria," Rae said, furious that Killian essentially quit her job for her. "He overstepped his bounds."

Victoria laughed lightly and glanced at the bar. "I'm not sure Killian realizes there are bounds to overstep, at least not where he's concerned. But he did apologize for jumping the gun on you."

Lucia was on a call half listening and exchanged confused glances with Ryan. Rae grabbed the envelope with her resignation letter out from under the desk and handed it to Victoria. "It's the best move for the future of my family. I wouldn't leave otherwise. I've honestly learned so much from you, and appreciate all you've done for me. I will work a full month training a replacement-"

"That won't be necessary," Victoria said. "You can work out the rest of week and move onto your new job."

Rae's heart dropped and she said, "Victoria I-"

"I'm not angry with you Rae," she replied. "I understand the opportunity this is for you, and Killian wants you there in one week. It comes down to money. I can insist I need you for another month and risk alienating a loyal guest, or I can give him what he wants and keep his business. Either way I'm losing you. So next Wednesday will be your last day."

She smiled and disappeared into the main dining room. Before Lucia or Ryan could pounce, Rae walked into the coatroom to cool down. For a split second she wished she still smoked. She heard noise behind her and turned expecting to see a guest with a ticket. Instead Ryan was pulling the door closed. "Lucia give us a couple minutes."

He left the door cracked and looked at her. Rae waited for the quips about her boyfriend but Ryan was surprisingly solemn. "Is this really what you want?" he asked.

"It's a huge pay increase, full benefits, and-"

"I get that." He peered out of the crack for a moment then sighed. "Laird isn't the kind of guy who'll be understanding of a child with the flu, or even care."

"You don't know that," she said.

"Maybe not. But he'll definitely see your marriage vows as negotiable." Her cheeks burned but before she could reply he said, "Why do you think Paul singled him out on Christmas Eve?"

"Because Paul was king of the mountain that night, and wanted the king above all others to acknowledge his status."

Ryan just looked at her for a moment. "King of the mount..." He chuckled and said, "That fits. But it was more than that. Paul isn't as thick as people think. He knows Laird wants you, and he took great delight in showing him up, even if it was just a photo with you looking hot. And Laird did not like it. I happened to catch the venom in his gaze after he raised his glass to Paul. He sees you as his, and a man like that is dangerous. So please, for me, just be careful."

The sincerity caught her off guard. She and Ryan traded sarcastic barbs, seriousness was something they usually avoided. "I will. I promise."

"Alright," he said. "Do another restroom check?"

"You go it boss," she said, with a flourish.

He looked like he was about to say something more, but opened the door instead. Rae walked towards the bar, her head high, smiling brightly, inwardly seething at the smug look on Killian's face. As she passed, she touched Bob's arm affectionately, her gaze darting to Killian. She was not his, and she'd have to squash sunshine before he ran with it. She never let anyone call her that, not past the age of ten.

After doing a restroom check and menu sweep, she walked back through the bar. A few regulars stopped her to chit chat and she realized she'd really miss a few of them. She knew their lives intimately, their families, what they did, where they spent vacations, where kids went to school, and when they were sick. It would be strange not seeing them every week.

She'd just given Paul a hug when Killian said, "Congratulate me. I found Stella's replacement, and much sooner than I expected."

Paul raised his glass and said, "View or skills?"

Rae smacked him on the arm and quickened her pace, trying not to run for the host stand.

"Rae starts next week," Killian said, sipping his drink.

Bob whipped his head around and she could feel Paul's eyes boring into her back. Killian smiled over the lip of his glass, and she said, "Congratulate me on my new job." She looked over her shoulder and hid her mouth from Killian. "I'm going to own the place within a year."

She gave them a sly grin and escaped to the desk. A steady stream of employees wandered up front as word of her job change spread, while Killian held court at the bar, high atop the mountain.

Bob suddenly pushed himself away from the bar and strolled to the coatroom. "Since when do you wear a coat?" she asked.

"I don't," he replied. "I just wanted to say congratulations on your new job. This will stop the downpour I take it?" She nodded and he glanced over his shoulder. "I'm happy for you. Just be careful kiddo. I like Killian, but he's..." He shook his head and took a deep breath. "Don't let his life swallow yours."

"He's what Bob?" He looked pained and she gently grasped his arm. "He's what?"

"By all accounts, a great employer."

"And?"

"A dangerous man."

That was twice in less than an hour she'd been told Killian was dangerous. But Bob was former law enforcement, his warning was different, and carried more weight than Ryan's. "What do you mean dangerous?"

Bob glanced furtively at the bar and said, "He's the fixer. He takes care of the more unsavory antics of their clients."

"Nice word salad. You're spending too much time with them."

"You know what I mean," he said.

"He helps his clients get away with a host of crimes us poor plebes would have to pay for. But that doesn't mean dangerous, it means he does his job." It made her skin crawl, but a soul sucking lawyer was what he did for a living. He didn't break the law, he just helped his clients bypass it.

"And he uses his skills for personal vendettas," Bob said, quietly. "Calvary Church in McHenry Texas. His family's lives, like most in town, revolved around that church. It's gone now. A few years back Killian waged war, on his own time and with his own money. He decimated them."

"Why?" Her mind was inundated with possibility after possibility, and it took every effort not to look at him.

"His parents had a messy divorce, the church took sides. Killian never forgot. Coincidentally, he filed his first motion against them a month after his mother died."

"And I'm sure there are others whose lives took a turn after crossing Killian?"

Bob held his hands up and said, "I just want you going into this eyes open. He hired you to replace Stella, he obviously has a high opinion of you. Just..."

Her heart hurt and she said, "Keep things professional?" His neck turned scarlet and she walked out of the coatroom and gave him a hug. "Thanks for looking out for me."

"Just promise you'll come by for a drink here and there," he said, gruffly.

"I promise."

He left and she stepped back into the coatroom. Crossing her arms, she leaned against the doorjamb and watched the king hold court. He stood out. At a crowded bar, there was a small ring of space around him, an invisible line people didn't cross. Even with a smile on his face and friendly banter going back and forth between him and Paul, it still emanated from him. Danger.

It took every effort not to touch her lips, the lingering feel of him tingling, as if static electricity was pulling at the soft flesh, making it stand on end. The predator had overwhelmed his prey with ease, and she'd been more than happy to let him. Killian glanced towards the coat room and heat flooded her body, the memory of his hips grinding against hers turning her core molten. He winked, like he knew what she was thinking and turned his attention back to Paul. He was indeed dangerous, and she'd have to play the game a lot better if she wanted to come out of this unscathed.

12