Suspicion - a Sequel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers

'When can Mrs. Hunter, and her children see her?'

'She should be going up to ICU in about twenty minutes. Give them an hour to get her comfortable, and you should be able to see her then. But only for a short time. We have a lot of work to do to get her better. Give us a couple of days. She has a long and hard road to travel. One of the Nurses will let you know when she goes up. Her Doctor there will be Doctor Masters, she's good, you can trust her.' Evelyn thanked the Doctor as he rushed away, another Gurney came flying through, with the Paramedics shouting the symptoms as they pushed. Evelyn turned to Paul.

'You don't want to see her?'

'More than anything in the world, but it wouldn't be right for me to see her before that man.' She smiled at him sadly.

'You have never liked saying that name, have you?'

'Can you blame me? I'll go and tell Christi and Andrew.'

'Paul!' She said in alarm. 'You can't tell Andrew the truth.'

'Trust me Evelyn, I had no intention of doing so. But I will tell Christi when I can get her on her own.'

'That will be difficult. He clings to her like she made from Glue.' Paul grinned.

'I noticed.'

Evelyn saw Kathy for just twenty minutes that day. She managed to have a word with Dr. Masters who told her pretty well as much as Dr. Reynolds. She did say that Kathy would be in drug-induced sleep for at least twenty-four hours, maybe longer. The next day Evelyn went again, while Christi looked after Andrew, with Paul supervising from time to time. He had phoned work and explained what was happening, and the CEO gave him a weeks compassionate leave, The day after, Paul drove them all to Mercy.

Paul waited in the car for two hours after Evelyn and the children had gone up to see Kathy. Eventually Christi came to find him with a very tired Andrew in tow.

'Dad, you are to go and see Mum.'

'No. I can't see her.'

'Dad, if you still Love Mum, you have to go and see her. She needs you.'

'She needs her Husband, and that is not me.'

'Go and see her, Dad.' Paul got out of the car.

'Christi, can't you understand that it will break me up to see her. It will be like a knife through the Heart.'

'And it will be like a knife through her heart if you don't. I know it will give you a lot of pain, but she is suffering right now, and when have you been the one who has never offered comfort and love to those who needed it?' Paul squared his shoulders.

'I don't want to do it, but I suppose if she needs comfort I will have to go.'

Evelyn put a finger to her lips as Paul entered the room.

'She's sleeping. She keeps drifting in and out, muttering something about Mrs. Gerring, and then another Mrs. Gerring. I have no idea what she is on about.'

Paul looked down at his ex-wife. Her face was thin and drawn, all colour washed out, and the eyes and mouth revealed that she was in some pain. Tubes ran from bottles suspended over the bed into both her arms, which lay almost as if lifeless on the covers. Electrodes on her chest and arms sent messages to the life support machine which beeped constantly measuring out Kathy's life. Her hair, that wondrous hair, lay lank upon the pillow. Paul's eyes filled with tears. This was the first time in five years that he had seen his wife this close. She was beautiful in his eyes. He sat down by the bed and reaching out took her hand in his. Evelyn retreated to the back of the room, a smile on her face.

The touch brought Kathy up from the shallow but troubled sleep. She looked at him, and huge tears rolled down her cheeks. He brushed them away with his hand.

'Paul, oh Paul, why is it that when I'm in trouble it is you that comes.'

'He should be here, not me.'

'No Paul, not him. You, my true husband.' She was drifting off to sleep again. Evelyn came over and took Kathy's other hand. It seemed to rouse her for a moment.

'Go and see Mrs. Gerring, Anita Gerring, and Samantha Gerring. They are at the M..Ma.' the drugs took her off once more into the healing sleep. Paul looked at Evelyn.

'Was that what she said before?'

'Yes. But she said something more this time. They are at the M something. What do you think that could be?'

'The Marriot! I'll bet she was going to say the Marriot.' He paused not wanting to know the answer to his question, yet wanting to like it was life and death.

'Evelyn, what do you think Kathy meant when she said I was her true husband?'

'I don't really know. But my woman's intuition tells me that there is serious trouble here. Trying to commit suicide is a last resort.' Paul made up his mind.

'I am going to the Marriot, and see if there is these Mrs. Gerring's staying there. I'll leave you the car keys, and take a cab.'

Chapter 3

There were two Mrs. Gerrings staying at the Marriot. The desk called up to them, and at first there was a blank response. The Clerk asked Paul if he could state his business.

'Tell them that I am Kathy's first husband.' The Clerk passed on that information and told Paul to go on up.

'It's suite 1603 sir. And would you mind if one of our staff went up with you.' Paul understood the caution immediately.

One of the Mrs. Gerrings opened the door, and looked at Paul expectantly. Paul introduced himself.

'Mrs. Gerring, I am Paul Matthews, Kathy's first husband.' She smiled politely and asked Paul to come in, saying to the Porter 'thank you, it will be alright.'

Waving him to a chair she introduced herself.

'I am Anita, Karl's mother.' There was the same shock on Paul's face as Kathy had shown, but she was expecting it this time.

'Yes I know, I am supposed to be dead. I explained to Kathy yesterday. She's a lovely woman, it's such a pity she got mixed up with that Son of mine.' Paul had managed to catch his breath now, and could say most truthfully

'Well I certainly agree with that.' Mrs. Gerring turned away, as another woman walked into the suite.

'Oh and this is also Mrs. Gerring. She is Karl's wife.' This was too much for Paul. For the first time in many years he used the name.

'Karl's wife?'

'Yes.'

'I do not wish to be rude, but perhaps you are divorced.'

'No, Mr. Matthews, I am not divorced. I wish I was, but unfortunately for me, but fortunately for Kathy, I am not divorced from Karl.' Paul's head spun taking this in, and for the first time in five years the Sun came over the horizon.

'May I ask you a question, Mr. Matthews?'

'Paul, please.'

'Ok, Paul. Why are you here? I was expecting to hear from Kathy.'

'Mrs. Gerring.'

'Anita, please, and this is Samantha.'

'Kathy is in the ICU at Mercy Hospital. She took an overdose last night.'

The total shock on both their faces could not be disguised. Immediately Anita blamed herself.

'We should have stayed longer to know that she was alright. Oh Damn, damn. How is she, please don't tell me she is in a dangerous condition, I will never forgive myself.'

'She will live. She may have some Kidney damage, it's too soon to say. But she will live. Samantha had watched Paul's face closely.

'Did Karl take her away from you, Paul?' He nodded sadly.

'Yes.'

'Did you love her a great deal.'

'Very much.'

'And you still love her, don't you?'

'I never stopped.' Samantha looked at Anita who then said.

'Paul, I am glad for that, she is going to need you very badly in the coming months.'

'I shall do all I can to help her recover.'

'And through the trial?' Anita asked.

'Trial?'

'Trial, yes. Karl married Kathy bigamously. We have been to the Police this morning and presented some documentary proof of that. When Karl gets back, they will be waiting to arrest him. And I don't think he will get bail, either.'

'Why?' Paul was trying to get his head round what Anita and Samantha were saying, because the only thought in his head was that Kathy was not married.

'Some of the documents suggest that Karl is mentally unfit, and that he is very likely to offer violence to Kathy if she parts from him, which incidentally, I hope she does. With this evidence I am sure that the court will not allow him bail.'

'Did you say mentally unfit?' Anita nodded.

'Yes Paul, he's a Paranoid schizophrenic or something. He can appear to be very sane, a charming companion, and suddenly, something flips him over the edge. He is devious, cunning and it would appear totally without morals. When my husband died, we were in Germany I had a few months of Depression, actual Clinical Depression. Karl badgered me until I allowed him and his sister, Jennifer to return to the US to stay with my parents. After he graduated he just vanished. Only occasionally would Jennifer hear something from him, that's how we knew of his first marriage.'

'First marriage?' Samantha replied.

'Yes Paul, I am his second wife. And I wouldn't have been that if I had known about his treatment of his first.' Paul looked alarmed. Anita told him.

'He was violent. It would appear that if there were any disagreements, Karl was in the habit of settling it with his fists.' Paul looked to Samantha.

'No I learned early on not to make waves, and I think from what she said Kathy learned also.' Paul could feel a vicious anger building within, and anger that he had never felt before.

'I am sorry to say this about your Son, Anita, but if I catch the slightest hint that he was violent to Kathy. He's Dog-Meat.'

'Paul, after talking with Kathy for a long time yesterday, I am certain that he wasn't violent to her. There was only one situation where he would have been, and that was if she had refused to leave you for him. He could never have walked away with your having won. These documents, which are in Karl's own hand, say quite clearly that under those circumstances he would kill her, so that you could not have her.' She paused, and suggested that coffee would be a good thing at this time, or looking at Paul, 'perhaps something stronger?' He waved his hand in refusal.

'Coffee would be great. Thanks.'

With the cups in front of them, Paul wanted to continue this strange revelation.

'So how did he find her?'

'Simple, we used the same way as he. Crestview school website. They maintain as much as they can a database listing all old pupils, and their whereabouts. Kathy and her sister..'

'Evelyn.' he supplied.

'Yes, Evelyn are on there. And Kathy changed the database just before she married Karl to her married name. If Karl had realised that, she would definitely have been in trouble. Karl doesn't like to be found.'

Paul had finished his coffee, and decide that he should leave. He wanted to get back to the hospital, but now happy that he would not have to give way to Karl at her bedside.

Evelyn had gone, but because he had visited before, the staff were quite happy to let him visit. Kathy was asleep, so he just sat in the chair, and held her hand. He was overjoyed at being able to make this simple gesture, just to touch her as he once had, a simple gesture that spoke of Love. Kathy slept on in her drugged oblivion. Paul stayed there, just holding her hand. The only time he left was when the call of nature demanded a trip to the Men's room, he picked up coffee on the way back, and resumed his position.

Evelyn came in a eight o' clock the next morning. Paul had dozed, but maintained his handhold. She stood in the doorway, and smiled. She had dreaded seeing Karl there.

'Paul.' she gently shook his shoulder. 'Paul.' he opened his eyes.

'Hello Evelyn, I must have dozed off.'

'Have you been here all night?'

'Yes I suppose I have.'

Did you see them?' No need to ask who she meant.

'Yes, Anita Gerring is Karl's mother, and Samantha Gerring is his wife.'

'What!" Evelyn almost shouted.

'Shush, you'll wake Kathy.'

'His mother is dead.'

'No, unless I was able to communicate across the divide. Karl told Kathy that she was dead, but that was just one of the lies he told her.'

'And who is this other, Samantha Gerring?'

'His wife. He left her six years ago, that would be about the time he found Kathy. But they have never been divorced.'

'So Kathy isn't married to him?'

'No. he committed Bigamy, and Anita and Samantha have provided the detectives with documentary evidence.'

'Does Kathy know?'

'Yes. Anita and Samantha spent a long time with Kathy yesterday talking about it. Kathy knows it all, well all except about the police.' Evelyn at last could really let her feelings out.

'I hated that bastard from the moment I saw him with Kathy. I didn't know why, but I just loathed him. I tried to warn her off, but she wouldn't listen. Oh Paul, I shouldn't be going into this now, you must be beat. Go home, get something to eat, shower and sleep. I'll stay here until you come back. You will be back won't you?'

'Yes I will get here as soon as I can. One thing puzzles me. Why?' he indicated Kathy laying there with tubes going into her, and coming out of her. Why would she do this?'

'You should know better than me. When did Kathy ever back down from accepting her culpability. When did she ever try to avoid any punishment that was coming to her.'

'Never.'

'There's your answer. She accepted the blame for all the hurt she put you and her children through, and sentenced herself and tried to be her own executioner.' Tears ran own Paul's face as he understood the pain that Kathy had felt, and that same pain hurt him as well.

'Didn't she know she was executing me as well.'

At ten o'clock the medical team arrived, Asking Evelyn if she could leave for fifteen minutes while they checked everything. It took twenty minutes and Evelyn was getting unsettled, thinking that they had found something. Dr. Masters came out, with a satisfied expression.

'Mrs. Hunter.' she called to Evelyn, who didn't have to ask questions, those were self evident by the expression on her face.

She's doing well now. She didn't seem to be fighting yesterday, but she started to battle now. We're not out of the wood yet, but her kidneys are not showing signs of failure at the moment. But that doesn't mean that they couldn't still give up. But we are hopeful. Strange how some patients suddenly decide they want to live. Did anything happen?

'Yes. Her first husband came to see her, and stopped.'

'Was he the one who stayed all night?'

'Yes.'

'And you say he was her first husband.' Evelyn nodded.

'Mmm. I suspect there is a story there, you must tell me some time. I am not far away, call me if you need me.'

Evelyn returned to the room. The examination had woken Kathy up.

'Evelyn. The Doc says I am getting there.'

'Yes I know. So you have decided not to die after all?'

Kathy looked embarrassingly guilty.

'I couldn't think of another way out of it. All the pain I have given to others, I didn't know what else to do. Now I have no choice, after all what they have done here, I have got to get better.'

'Good, there are a lot of people who want you to stay around. How do you feel now.?'

'Odd. They say they sedated me, but I am sure I dreamt that Paul was here, but that's all it was I suppose, just a dream.'

'He was here.'

'Paul?'

'Yes Paul. He stayed with you from late afternoon until I got here this morning at eight.' Tears now ran down Kathy's cheeks.

'Why would he do that, for me? Who gave him nothing but heartache, the wife who left him for another man. Why would he do that?'

'Because he loves you, because he never stopped loving you. He sacrificed his happiness so that you could be happy, and he carried on loving you through all the time you were with Karl, imagining you sleeping with Karl, imagining you accepting Karl's body into your body, taking him into your mouth and into your vagina and every time you did it, you pushed another knife into his heart, and yet he never stopped hoping that you were happy.' Tears cascaded down Kathy's face as if she were standing out in the pouring rain.'

'Don't, Evelyn, don't say those things.' Evelyn sat until the tears dried.

'Paul would never say that to you, so I have. Why do you think he never took you to the cleaners when you divorced. Why do you think he never made waves over you seeing Jason and Christi. Why do you think he never went after Karl for Alienation of Affection. His Attorney reckons it was cut and dried. He didn't because he felt that would affect you. Why do you think he has been so kind to Andrew when they meet. Because Andrew was your child. Why do you think he has never dated since you went, never had sex with anyone else.'

'Never?' Kathy was incredulous.

'Never. His priorities were the kids, his home, and his job. He's done well you know. Todd says he's got a very good contract now. He took this course because he knew he would never love any other woman, couldn't love any other woman.' Kathy's tears were once more pouring down her face. Evelyn wondered where they came from considering the state Kathy was in when she found her yesterday. She hated saying these things to her sister, but it was done with a purpose, to make Kathy so obligated to live and love Paul again. Whilst Kathy was drying her eyes, Evelyn thought it time to tell her.

'Paul saw Karl's mother and Wife yesterday.'

'He knows.'

'Yes he knows. He told me yesterday afternoon when he got back from seeing them. Paul was never kindly disposed to Karl, now I think he wants to tear him limb from limb.'

'Oh Evelyn, you must make sure they don't meet.'

'I don't think there is any chance of that. There is a warrant out for Karl's arrest.'

'Arrest?'

'Yes. For Bigamy. Anita and Samantha, went to the Police yesterday, and handed over some documents. When they arrest him I don't think they will give him bail, because of threats he has made against you, kindly written down in his own handwriting I believe.

'What am I going to do now, Evelyn?' There was despair in Kathy's voice.

'Ask Paul when he comes to visit you.'

'Is he going to come again?'

'If I know that man of yours you will find it difficult to keep him away.'

'He's not my man, Evelyn. He won't want me after all I have done to him. I don't deserve him.'

'Haven't you listened to a word I said?'

'Shall I tell you something Kathy. Yesterday when you woke up and Paul was here, you said something about his being your True Husband. I know you were foggy and dazed from the drugs, but if you could have seen his face then. It was the happiest he has been for six years. I agree you don't deserve him, but I am sure he will not listen if you tell him that. Think on, sister.'

Paul came back at three o' clock. Fortified by food. Sleep, and a thirty minute shower. Kathy was asleep, a more natural sleep this time, and Evelyn quickly explained that Kathy was now aware that Paul had seen the two Mrs. Gerrings. She also gave him the encouraging news from Dr. Masters. She slipped quietly from the room. Paul took up the same seat as last night. Some time later Dr. Masters came in, Paul did not realise she was there at first, so intent was he on examining Kathy's face, which had got a better colour.

'So this is the miracle worker.' Paul jumped and looked around. She strode across the room holding out her hand to shake his. 'Dr. Masters, and you would be Paul. Well Paul whatever you have got, I would like to bottle it. I could make a fortune.'

'I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about.'

'Yesterday my patient was doing her level best to die, then all of a sudden she decides that that is not a good idea. I talked to the Nurses, and they told me that only one thing had changed. A visitor came, and then my patient starts fighting. Now I know that our medicine is good, but it will not help a patient live unless they want to. Kathy had a visitor, and now she wants to live. You, Paul were that visitor.'

'I think you are placing too much importance on that, Dr. Masters.'

'Sandra is the name. No I am not. But it does puzzle me as you are divorced aren't you. Mrs. Hunter tells me that Mrs. Gerring is actually not Mrs. Gerring, as the marriage is not valid. Do I understand from therefore that we will not be seeing Mr. Gerring?'

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers