Sustainable Gardening

Story Info
For family, health, money and fun!
762 words
3.37
18.4k
0
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wife2hotblk
wife2hotblk
377 Followers

It may not seem very important in the grand scheme of the universe, but I am proud of doing my part for a sustainable future through grow my own fruits and vegetables. I began this experiment three years ago, my first full summer in London. At first it was just a few tomato plants in buckets on our patio. I collected only a handful for all my time and investment that first year. I was to learn that growing seasons in England are far shorter than they were in South Carolina where I grew up. Last year, I worked with my local council to start a rather impressive community garden project on our estate. This year, I am already celebrating Earth Day by planting my seedlings including tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers.

Is it worth all this effort you may ask?

I do it for several reasons. First of all, even as an adult I remember fondly time spent with my step-father in our large garden out behind the house. In spring, we would weed and till to prepare the soil. In summer, we would water the garden each evening. It was a time to catch up on what was happening at school or work. Of course, in the fall the ritual expanded to include the whole family as we harvested, cooked and preserved our bounty. I can still almost taste the sweetness of the first cherry tomato off of my own plant.

Today, I continue that tradition with my own daughter. At four years old, she is adamant that she can water all the plants..."by myself, mummy." She helped me too with planting the seedlings. She even has her own set of gloves and gardening tools. Does she make more of a mess than helping? Of course, but the moments we share are priceless.

The second reason that I grow my own is economic. Have you looked at the price of lettuce, tomato or cucumbers lately? They are not cheap. That first summer, I admit that I lost more money in terms of seedlings, soil and containers than my paltry harvest was worth. But I have learned my lesson; my gardening now extends to 'sustainable.' I do not buy pots. I recycle old plastic containers. I do not buy compost. I make my own, well the worms in wormary do. My seedlings now come from last year's harvest. I am rather self-sufficient, much more so than that old family garden of my childhood.

Another reason to grow-your-own is your health. Eating healthy especially is not cheap. By growing my own, I always have the freshest produce. Nothing tastes better than lettuce picked directly from the ground. Washed under cold water and served without ever being refrigerated. Another benefit is that I know that it truly was grown organically. But the act of gardening itself provides both physical exercise for the body and stress relief for the stressed mind. So from seed to table, growing your own is a healthier choice.

Of course, this is about celebrating Earth Day and growing your own makes sense for our planet as well. Whether in large patches in the back yard or small pots on the patio, every single piece of produce you grow yourself helps the environment in several ways. Have you heard the term 'food miles?' Do you know how far that carrot you had for dinner travelled to get on your plate? How much gasoline or diesel did it take to produce and transport it? How much electricity to keep it fresh? Growing your own eliminates all of that.

A few of my favorite tips for sustainable gardening include:

1) Compost all your peelings for the richest soil possible.

2) Re-use plastic containers for planting your seedlings.

3) Begin early by planting your seeds indoors and transplanting as the weather gets warmer.

4) Freeze, can or share your excess harvest so that you and others can reap the rewards of your hard work long after the warm days of summer are gone.

5) Have fun...and make it fun for others.

So if I can encourage you to do one thing this year to celebrate Earth Day it is to start your own garden. But I live in a small apartment you may say? Even growing fresh herbs in a pot on your kitchen window sill can be one small step towards a more sustainable world. But if you do it with the ones you love, the rewards can be even deeper as you share not only your harvest but a sense of accomplishment.

wife2hotblk
wife2hotblk
377 Followers