SWTOR: The Emperor's Wrath Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm that's true on all accounts, master." Aaric retorted, keeping his expression level as best as he could. With his mask on, it was impossible to gauge the Darth's. "In that case, I believe I've fought against several more since birth."

"I don't care what you experienced. All that matters is that your time here in the academy is woefully lacking! Let me get a closer look at you." The Darth stated unimpressed. He began circling Aaric, and the acolyte could feel eyes on him like a shyrack looking at its prey. "Yes, as I suspected. Overser Tremel has done you and this academy a great disservice!

Aaric's was beginning to boil. He knew nothing! His power war greatly deserved and his stupid mask was probably blinding him towards the obvious. "With all due respect, my lord... looks can be greatly deceiving." He replied, doing his best to keep his voice level.

"Oh. Is that it, supplicant. Let's see... your warblade came early, prisoners flow in for your convenience, even a beast here on Korriban instead of offworld in the wild." The Sith Lord counted, each time raising his voice. "The pacing of the trials is deliberate. Only full immersion over time produces results. Your mind is soft, unhoned, undisciplined!"

Suddenly, Aaric guffawed then burst into raucous laughter. Even though Baras had his mask, Aaric knew his reaction to the Darth's words puzzled him.

"What is it that you find such humour in, acolyte? You will tell me, before I cut you down where you stand!" Baras growled precariously.

Aaric finally got his laughter under control before he declared. "I was thinking what was it that was clouding your vision more, Lord Baras. The force or the mask? The pacing of the trials is appropriate for one such as I."

His expression turned dark as he allowed his force presence to leak out and saturate the room. "Unlike Vemrin, I have trained in the Sith arts since I was born! Long before he has ever set foot onto this sacred planet! So I apologise, but I have to disagree... emphatically."

The dark lord stood straight and stepped up to the upstart acolyte, letting his own power emanate form him. The two forces clashed in an invisible conflict as one pushed against the other. "Do you now? I have not heard of any other organisation outside the empire having taught Sith independently from Korriban. It is decreed that all sentients with force potential are to be sent here for training, no exceptions. You would have joined us long ago if you are to now reach the required mastery expected of you."

"Then I say that Tremel has done the Empire a great service, my lord." Aaric explained. "I was taught and trained by the Mecrosa order. We are a Sith sect hidden within the House of Mecetti on the planet of Nyssa within the Tapani sector, outside of the Empire's boundaries. We are warriors, protectors and assassins who once pledged our loyalty to the Sith Lord Exar Kun centuries ago. When he disappeared, we hid ourselves away from the Jedi's prying eyes waiting for the opportune time to strike. Now that the Empire has returned, Overseer Tremel discovered our existence and sent me here. I am an heir to a great Sith bloodline and the path towards my destiny will start with Vemrin's destruction!"

For a brief while, the two forces pressed against each other as the young stallion and the old warhorse attempted to best each other. Aaric had the raw power, but Baras had the experience and mastery of his own to boot. After what seemed like hours but had merely been a minute, Baras chuckled and dropped his presence compelling Aaric to do the same.

"You are an interesting one, Acolyte. I am surprised that any Sith would have survived, given that the Jedi can be annoyingly efficient at eradicating us from within." The Darth remarked, "However, If what you say is true, then I need proof that you indeed have learnt the ways of the Sith. Recite the Sith Code for me, acolyte, and explain its meaning in battle, war and politics."

Aaric smirked as he began his thorough explanation, which surprised Baras although his mask covered it. This was exactly what he had been training for. Knowing that the true Sith would not believe he was one of them through mere strength, he soaked in the wisdom and intelligence of his tutors to understand the Sith philosophy and practices. By the time he was done, Baras was deeply impressed.

"I see... very good. Your ability is undeniable. Your readiness and understanding of the Sith way seems to be up to par." The Darth declared. "Your sect has taught you well. Already, I can sense that if you keep this up you might surpass Vemrin in every way possible."

"Henceforth," he continued, "I shall be your master now. Although Tremel has benefited the empire in acquiring one with powerful Sith potential such as you, the way in which he has conducted his duties so far has been treasonous at best. From the start, his unwillingness to adapt to the evolving Sith paradigm has now become a liability. These are the actions of a traitor and therefore he is to be executed. I grant you immunity from punishment. Kill Tremel and bring back his hand as proof."

Aaric beamed with pride as he bowed. "As you say...master."

"Now, leave. I'm sure Tremel is still in his chambers. Don't return until you've killed him." Baras ordered.

"Yes my lord." Aaric replied then strode out of the chamber.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I didn't expect to see you again so soon. Has Baras sent you back to me?" Tremel questioned without looking up from his work. He seemed calm despite what he knew might happen.

"Yes, overseer. Baras sends his regards." Aaric replied, "He has now branded you a traitor and has ordered me to kill you, absolving me of any and all consequences whatsoever."

Tremel suddenly seemed like he aged even further before Aaric's eyes as he sighed. "Then I have been outplayed. Baras has the authority, but I did not think he would do something this overt. Either I die or he forces me to kill you and to destroy my own plan. A master stroke."

"It is as you say, Overseer. His intelligence and cunning knows no bounds." Aaric exclaimed.

"Very well. You have your orders, acolyte. Know that it gives me no pleasure to kill you." Tremel stood from his chair and calmly walked around his table towards Aaric.

"And what makes you so confident that you'll be the last man standing?" The acolyte scoffed, not in the least intimidated.

The weathered old man chuckled, but had a smile with a hint of pride in his voice. "I must admit, you are strong, acolyte. Stronger than any other I've seen walk through these sacred halls. But you are not Sith yet."

"Heh, you're a fool Tremel." Aaric scoffed. "I was already Sith before you brought me here. Did you not think the Mecrosa Order would train me since birth to only let me be killed by the likes of you?"

"It doesn't matter what I think." Tremel replied, unclasping his lightsaber from his waist and activating it with the familiar snap-hiss. "Come then. I'll try to make your end quick and painless. It's the least I can do."

Aaric chuckled at the old man's confidence. "You will try."

Like wolves, they circled each other around the room. Tremel positioned his lightsaber above his head with both arms; a standard Djem So attack stance. Aaric brought the warblade pointing upwards at eye-level, then swung down in a flourished 'X' before ending with a low guard: A Makashi Salute.

On some unseen signal, the two men charged forward and clashed their blades in the middle. Tremel was unrelenting and kept up the assault in short but quick and concentrated bursts. Aaric however was able to keep up as his elegant foot and bladework allowed him to dodge, parried or redirect his assailant's blows effortlessly.

Again and again, Tremel continued his barrage in an attempt to batter his way into Aaric's defences with no headway whatsoever. Each time he did, his progeny would neutralise them and manage to redirect his blade at the last minute to earn him a cut or stab at the overseer's limbs. It simply infuriated him to no end!

The kinetic force generated by Tremel's barrages should have shunted Aarics blocks and parries away. Instead, Aaric merely met Tremel's blade and followed through the overseer's motion until it was positioned exactly at the extremity he wanted to attack before doing so.

Tremel disengaged quickly before he suffered another hit. He panted heavily as he attempted to regain some of his strength. Aaric, however, seemed unfazed and was merely waiting for the next opportunity to strike with a victorious smirk on his face.

"Your style... Makashi." Tremel exclaimed, trying to buy more time for himself. "Its not supposed stand up against the power of Djem So. How are you doing this?!"

"Every form has a weakness. Every technique has a counter." Aaric explained. "You know of Makashi, but you do not know it like we have. Our order didn't just close ourselves off from the galaxy while the Jedi pandered about. We learnt their styles and developed means of neutralising them. The minions and lords of this Empire do not know the enemy like we do."

"I see. Then it seems there is only one way to find out if your methods have borne fruit." Tremel said with a tone of finality.

"It is the only way." Aaric quipped.

In a flash, both men charged each other one last time with blinding, force-enhanced speed. A split-second later, they ended up in each other's positions.

Aaric stood straight and turned around, sporting a slice across his chest guard but no blood had been drawn. Tremel, however, was not so lucky. The overseer grunted in pain and knelt to the ground as he nursed the stump of what used to be his left hand. The fight was over.

Aaric walked up to Tremel, but kept his blade at the ready just in case he tried anything funny.

"No. I'm... amazed. I knew you were strong in the force, but not... like this." The overseer spoke in haggard breaths. "Ha... ha ha ha! Good, good! You're more than ready to challenge Vemrin. Baras... will not be able to deny it now! He will have the satisfaction... of my death, but I die knowing my... success. Go ahead... end this.'

Aaric had other ideas, however, and sheathed his blade. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Tremel. Baras only asked for your hand as proof of your death."

"What? You're sparing my life. I don't need or want your pity acolyte!" Tremel spat.

"It's not pity that stayed my hand, Tremel. But my respect." The acolyte declared. "Even as Baras demands your death, I acknowledge that without you, I would not have come this far. It is a one-time offer, so think this through."

It only took a minute for the now former overseer to respond. "Yes... of course. I'm a credit to the dark side... my cause... is just. You can see clearly even if Baras cannot. Take my hand then. I shall rest and then leave Korriban... covertly."

Strangely, Tremel saw a ghost of a gracious smile grave Aaric's lips before he responded. "Good. Pave the way for my ascension, Tremel. You have not seen the last of me yet."

"Of course. Goodbye, acolyte. Rid the Sith of that plague Vemrin." Tremel stood and bowed deeply. "My hopes... lie with you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon seeing Baras, Aaric could already sense the Darth beaming in satisfaction.

"What's this? The acolyte returns and with a bloodied weapon. I assume this means Tremel is no more. Give me his hand." Baras ordered. "Here. Take this one ring as a memento. Remembering the past can strengthen resolve and embolden the spirit. I am impressed you had the fortitude to destroy him. You know, he thought of you almost like family. How did it feel to betray him?"

"It felt great, overwhelming even." Aaric lied while feigning satisfaction. "Killing him brought me great joy."

"Good. Very good! It seems you are able to let your passions guide you. I am now confident that you understand fully the true meaning of the Sith code." The dark lord declared. "By embracing it and destroying Tremel, you have freed yourself from his shackles and escaped his fate."

"And one step closer to destroying Vemrin next. I eagerly await your next instruction, master." Aaric replied.

"I had a feeling you'd be a fast learner." Baras exclaimed. "Now, there are sacred ruins in the tomb of Tulak Hord. The ancient inscriptions that once adorned the walls of each ruin lie in pieces. You will venture through the entire tomb, search all of the ruins, and bring me a shard from each of these inscriptions. You will do this, or you will die."

"Yes my lord." Aaric acknowledged.

"Vemrin and my other acolytes have already been sent. There are no rules regarding how they secure the shards, and they will stop at nothing. Fight your way through the tomb of Tulak Hord in the valley of the Dark Lords, and bring me the shards from each of the ruined shrines. You are dismissed."

On that note, Aaric turned and left the dark lord to his own devices.

12