Tale of Obsession: Courting Daphne Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't take offense, my dear," he told her. "I merely want a reason to smile."

Suddenly, she knew that there was something troubling Gabriel. "What happened?"

The duke nodded to their guards to leave. He did not speak until they were alone. "Your father wrote to me yesterday, as you know. He wants me to send you back to Thersale."

"I won't leave!" she protested.

Gabriel's smile was knowing. "I know. I already sent back a message, saying that you prefer to stay here until the war is over. Had I been more truthful, I would have written to him that you'd never leave Elgeshore until you have General Van Halen with you."

"The world needs liars," Daphne said.

"Yes, the world need liars," agreed the chuckling man. He led her into his study. "I'm sure that your father already knows of your liaison with one of his best generals, but I decided to withhold insignificant information."

Now, Daphne was frowning. "Then, why did you sound like the world finally collapsed on your shoulders?"

Gabriel frowned, too, as he gestured for Daphne to sit on a couch. "My wife, whom I sent to her parents in Shiorka for her own protection, claimed that she can't bear any longer her family's constant inquiry as to why she's still not with child. So the goddamned witch decided to ride back to Northcove. Just when I decided to take sides in this war!"

Amused, Daphne watched Gabriel as he reached for a bottle of wine and two glasses. "She is a wife taken merely out of convenience. If she dies, why should you care? You are still a young man, and provided that Thersale wins, you will be one of our most powerful allies. You can get the bride of your dreams and forget about Althea."

She saw the hesitation that crossed Gabriel's face, and almost laughed out loud. But she was able to maintain her composure and accept the glass that the young duke offered her.

"I suppose..."

To Daphne, that sounded like, 'No, I don't think so.'

She was starting to suspect that Althea Reidforth was more than just a convenient wife.

"So," Gabriel broke the silence that invaded the room after his hesitant reply. He poured Daphne a glass of wine. "How did Van Halen take the information you gave him?"

"He took it well enough," Daphne answered. Her thoughts, however, were on the activity they pursued right after her explanations.

She found Gabriel watching her, and colour flooded her cheeks. She could tell by the way his eyes laughed that the duke knew she was not paying attention to the details of her conversation with Leander. But Gabriel said nothing, and for that, she was thankful.

"You must be apprehensive," the duke said. When Daphne frowned, he explained. "Van Halen has to lead his men in battle, Daphne. He is not merely your lover; he is also a general. In a kingdom at war, duty weighs more than will and desire combined."

Daphne sipped from her glass of wine. Gabriel really had a way of spoiling her day. Thank the gods that she has had the clarity of mind to run away from their arranged union! She did not think that she could bear life with a man who would forever spoil her moods. But she was not mad enough to let him see through her mask of confidence.

"Leander is a great general," she said, as much to reassure herself as to inform Gabriel. "With my father planning the counterattack and Leander leading his men, Thersale will emerge victorious. We will destroy the heart of Elgeshore and crush the ambitions of those who want to see Thersale fall. And when the kingdom is not at war anymore, then, people will be free to do as they will and to pursue their desires."

Gabriel raised his eyebrows. "You really think so?"

For a moment, Daphne could not answer. She had to think.

She was not disillusioned; she knew that her father would not approve of her taking Leander as her lover. The Duke of Wildercross wants his daughter to marry a man in the position of power. Someone who has title, connections, resources. That was why Gabriel was his first choice as Daphne's husband.

When she ran away, Daphne made it clear that she did not want to get married to a man she barely knew, but she doubted that her father would leave her to decide who she wants to marry. The duke himself married for political reasons, Daphne suspected. The union with her stepmother was done to seal an alliance between the two competing factions in the Thersalian kingdom. As far as she was concerned, her father's world revolves only around politics. Power is the name of his game, and he'd make sure that he can use his children to reinforce what he already has.

In her father's world, only the concepts of power and duty and control existed. There are no noble causes other than to gain a position of unquestionable authority. No such thing as 'love' existed in his vocabulary. If Daphne ever claims that she loves Leander, the duke would laugh at her face, the way she could imagine him laughing if she ever tells him that she is descended from a bloodline of fairies. That was the extent to which the man denies 'love'. In fact, she could imagine him more likely buying the claim of being descended from fairies than buying the idea of falling in love.

However, Daphne was not one to simply bow her head and let him control her life. No way in hell would she let her father decide whom she marries, or whom she takes as a lover. He needs to learn that there is a limit to his authority; he could not rule his daughter's life. If he wanted to control the fate of people so much, he better spend his energy thinking about the future of his sons instead of that of his daughter.

"You fell silent," Gabriel observed.

Daphne snapped back to the present. She downed her glass of wine before answering. "I really think so."

"The will of those in power is the only thing that matters," Gabriel disagreed with her. "The only things that are, are the things that those in power desire. Freedom is not a luxury that powerless people can have."

Her left eyebrow shot up and she scrutinized Gabriel. "You consider me a powerless individual?"

*****

Gabriel could not answer right away.

'Daphne Rhaine Wildercross,' he thought. 'Daughter of the most powerful man on this side of the earth.'

He studied the lady, taking stock of her feminine charm and almost unearthly beauty. In her veins flowed the blood of the Wildercrosses. Blood of people who had ensured the peace of their continent for centuries. Blood of people who ruthlessly killed and oppressed to get what they wanted.

No, she was not from a powerless family. But, in the face of her father's power...?

Gabriel refilled their empty glasses. Her name once again reverberated in his mind. He studied the fire in her eyes, the will of iron embedded in their green depths. In her veins flowed the blood of the most intriguing duchess that was ever hailed. Blood of the only woman the most revered Duke of Wildercross ever loved. Blood of the woman who almost threw Thersale in chaos when the Duke of Brayhorn asked for her hand while she was still clearly the mistress of a Wildercross.

The mere fact that Daphne was the favourite child of her father sends a million messages that only read: Daphne Wildercross is the most powerful person in the face of the earth. Gabriel was certain that, with her determination, she could move her father's heart of stone -- a heart that was opened only once. He was sure that she could make the most terrifying duke of all times bow to her wishes and do as she commands.

With a chuckle, he raised his glass to salute Daphne, and with confidence, he answered, "No, indeed not. You are most certainly the last person on earth that I'll consider powerless."

*****

The cool water of the stream eased Leander's stressed muscles. He had been practicing with his men for the last several hours. It was almost time to march out to battle. The next ten days would pass as fast as an eagles flies, and then he would be shedding enemy blood in the field again.

Sometimes, it was hard to think about that part of his life. The horrors war brought had the ability to break the resolve of even the strongest of men. How many friends had he buried? How many enemies had he killed? Only the thought that he was doing this for his kingdom kept Leander sane.

He submerged his head on the water, hoping that the coolness would somehow make him forget, even for a while, the most horrifying sights that he had seen in the battlefield. So many idealists had written that nature helps heal a man; he wants to test their claims.

He kept his head under water until the primitive part of his brain told him that he was no longer alone. Immediately, his senses were alert to any kind of danger.

But when he looked at the bank, he saw only Daphne. She flashed him a smile.

Leander was livid. He hated the feeling of being vulnerable, and just a few moments ago, he was feeling just that, but that was the least of his concern right now. The woman standing a few feet from him was not the kind of predator that he feared she was. In fact, with her inticing, golden hair down and with only a pink cotton robe wrapped around her delectable body, she was undoubtedly a prey.

"What on earth are you doing here?" he asked through his teeth.

"Joining you," answered Daphne, shedding off her only piece of clothing and walking towards the edge of the stream. "I got impatient waiting for you, so I thought I'd corner you into fulfilling your promise."

He tried to swallow down his anger as he watched her wading across the water on her way to him. It was the first time he had seen her naked in broad daylight, and Leander was impressed by the sight of her. Daphe simply looked gorgeous. No other way to describe her, and his cock was of the same opinion.

It only angered him more. By the gods! What was she thinking? His mind tried to calculate the distance from the ducal palace to the stream, but he could not even estimate it. All that his brain told him was that it was far -- way too far to be strolling with nothing but a robe on.

How could Daphne be so reckless? Did she forget that there are hundreds of men staying in the palace grounds right now? Most of those men had been without a woman in their beds for so long, and Leander would be damned if he believed that those men would have second thoughts about raping a woman as unbelievably tempting as Daphne right then.

"Why did you have to come here?" he hissed, grabbing her arm when she was near enough. "What the hell are you thinking?"

Daphne was obviously surprised by the anger with which he greeted her. "Leander..."

"What?" he barked.

She was shocked into silence, staring at him with wide eyes. Her mouth moved, as if she wanted to say something, but then she decided to close it again. Almost a minute passed before Leander was able to breath normally, only to find tears welling in Daphne's eyes. Instantly, his anger vanished, replaced by the merciless realization that he had hurt her. Daphne, however, swallowed her tears.

Before he could say anything, she had already shaken his hand off. She started to move away, glaring at him. Then, without saying a word, she turned her back on him.

"What are you doing?" Leander asked, going after her.

"Isn't it obvious?" she exclaimed, not taking the time to look back at him. "I'm getting out of the water and getting the hell out of your sight, because, apparently, I'm not wanted here!"

He grabbed her by the waist before she could even get close to the bank. "No, you're not going anywhere!"

Annoyed, Daphne shrieked and started fighting him off. Leander, however, had no intention of letting her go. He turned her around so that she was face to face with him. The woman started hammering her fists against his chest.

"Let me go!" she ordered, not once stopping her physical assault.

"No," Leander made clear. He was trying to make her stop struggling against him. "Listen, Daphne, I'm sorry!"

"No, you're not!" she insisted, tears welling back to her eyes. "You're not, you idiot!"

If only he were not faced by her indignant anger, Leander would have laughed. She looked like a wounded child who was trying to stop her tears from flowing. The way she was pouting and pursing her lips lacked the dignity that a well-bred lady was supposed to have.

But he knew that Daphne had a right to get mad at him. That simple thought was enough to get him out of the mood for laughing. So he let her pound her fists against him as much as she wanted, taking care only that he did not lose his hold on her. The spirits know, he deserved a punishment worse than that.

"I just didn't want any man going after you and harming you," he told her. "Gods, Daphne, do you even realize how tempting you look?"

"Do you really think me a fool?" Daphne was exclaiming. "You should know me better than that. I had been in this place more times than I could even count! I know a way of getting to this stream without being seen by any of your men!"

Yes, he should have really thought about that. This girl was no fool. But he was just a man, and his protective instincts proved to be way sharper than his rationality.

"I'm sorry" was the only thing that he could offer.

Little by little, Daphne tired of punching him. When at last, she was not fighting, Leander touched her chin and made her look into his eyes. Tears were still swimming in her eyes, but she was doing a good job of holding them at bay.

"I"m sorry," he murmured, closing his eyes and placing his forehead against hers. He took one of her hands and placed it against his chest so that she could feel his beating heart. "It's just that, I'm a fool. The first thought that came to my mind is that you look so damn beautiful and there are hundreds of men in this place. None could have resisted the call of his groin had any man seen you. I'm just..."

He opened his eyes and looked at her. Daphne was looking at him expectantly, as if she was waiting for him to give her a precious gift. In a way, that was he was doing as he bared his soul to her. Leander smiled.

"I was scared of what could have been," he admitted. "What if one of my men forced himself on you? What if something happened to you? I'll never forgive myself, Daphne." He stroked her cheek with his thumb. "So forgive me. Forgive me for fearing the worst. Forgive me for forgetting that you are a smart woman, that you can take care of yourself."

Daphne smiled tentatively. "You and your what if's." She finally leaned against him. "I'm sorry, too. I was a fool, too. It didn't occur to me that you're just worried." She sighed, pulled away from him, and smiled again. "I only wanted to be with you..."

"And I want to be with you," he said, relief flooding his system. Thank the spirits that Daphne was not one of those women who played on a man's guilt!

"So it seems," she whispered.

Leander felt her forefinger gently touching his already hard member under the water. A coy smile appeared on Daphne's face as she let her finger touch the tip.

"Yes, it does seem like it," he agreed, grinning at her. Not for the first time, he was filled with wonder by the realization that Daphne could arouse his desires even if he was soaked in cold water.

"Let's kiss and make up?" Daphne proposed, her soft whisper caressing against his face as her lips gently grazed his mouth.

"Not until you promise me that you won't take such risks again," he said. "You won't endanger yourself however much you want me."

Daphne chuckled softly and pulled away from him. "You know what I realized, Leander?"

Frowning, he looked at her. Damn this woman! How could he arouse him and then walk away? "Hmm?"

Her eyes were lit by mischief, as she slowly waded backwards away from him. "You're so boring. What's life without taking risks?"

His eyebrow shot up, making Daphne giggle. With a slow grin, he moved after her. "Boring, huh?"

Daphne's eyes widened, realizing that her teasing was almost at its end. She then screamed and turned around to get away from him.

But Leander was on her at no time. Laughing, he lifted her and put her over his left shoulder as if he were carrying a sack of hay. Daphne, too, was laughing, but she was telling him to put her down.

"In a moment, naughty girl," he answered her, slapping her bare backside. "Some guts you have, accusing me of being boring."

Daphne giggled and slapped his bottom, too. "I said put me down!"

"That's no way to ask for a favour," he said, pinching the cheek of her butt. Daphne moaned, giggling. "You should know better."

"I'm not asking for a favour," she said. "I'm giving you an order!"

Leander made a show of glancing behind to look at her. Daphne's face was red due to the upside-down position of her upper body. She pouted at Leander, making him laugh.

"I don't think that you're in a position of power at the moment," he observed. "You look more like a captive than a superior, little one."

The naughty girl slapped his buttocks again. "Just put me down!"

Amused, Leander at last did as she "ordered" when they were at the grassy bank. Daphne immediately snaked her arms around his neck and kissed his mouth. Leander pulled her close, resting his hands on both cheeks of her backside. The lady giggled against his mouth when she felt him pinching the cheeks.

"Turn around for me?" he murmured when their lips parted.

Without saying anything, Daphne did as he asked. He kept an arm around her waist and started kissing the nape of her neck, inhaling the scent of lavender that came from her hair. Daphne moaned in appreciation, her hand finding his cock and slowly stroking it.

All of a sudden, thoughts of the immediate surroundings escaped his mind. Had anybody happened to find them, Leander would not have even noticed. The only thing that mattered was that he was with Daphne, their bodies pressed close together, radiating heat that came only from mutual desire.

Eventually, he found Daphne on her hands and knees on the grass, and himself kneeling behind her. He held his cock on one hand while checking Daphne's sex with the other. She was wet and ready for him. He brushed her nether lips with the tip of his cock, coating the head with her juices, beore slowly pushing into her.

Leander groaned as he took his time entering Daphne's waiting hole. Her inner muscles were ready, lubricating the passage of his cock. It did not make her hole any slacker, though; the muscles clung to his flesh with every in and out movement. Leander bit his lower lip, revelling in the feelings of her warmth, her tightness, while his ears were serenaded by the music of her whimpers and groans.

"It feels --" she was saying "-- amazing, Leander." A gasp. "Gods! I can't believe we're doing this...this way."

He could not believe it either. He was not only fucking Daphne, but fucking her from behind. As if that was not enough, she was on hands and knees on the grass; they were near a stream, hidden from immediate view. A primal position in a primal setting. The mere thought almost made him come.

Leander let himself enjoy the feeling. Sheathed in her warmth, he felt as though he had eveything he needed in the world. No thoughts of tomorrow; only of today. If only Daphne felt the same way he did...

The familiar tingle brought by impending orgasm started to pulse through his body. He knew he could do nothing but to give in, but give in he only would if Daphne, too, was close to the peak. So he reached around her body and started playing with her bud of pleasure. Daphne's groans became louder, more frequent. The sounds only pulled him closer to his release.

When finally he could not hold back his seeds any longer, Leander buried himself deep into Daphne. Just as he felt himself exploding, he also felt Daphne's muscles contracting, milking his cock as she, too, reached the sexual climax.