Tales from the Guilds Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Susan nodded grimly. "He did. It's the sort of thing he's always doing to me. He puts me in positions that I don't want to be in but that I can't in good conscience opt out of. Where is she now?"

"Oh, somewhere on her rotation o' duty. We'd have t' ask Mrs. Whitlow t' be exact but m'guess is that we'd best wait until after lunch. That way I could quietly invite the lass int' m'office and introduce th' two of you. After that y' could introduce her to th' rest of yer kind."

The rest of my kind. Me, Grandfather, Time, Time's parents, War, Famine, Pestilence, Ronnie Soak, the Summer Lady—How many of us are there, really? Well, now there's another.

"That's fine. Grandfather let me borrow his horse."

*****

Having cleaned (and amazingly refreshed!) several of the senior faculty's suites, Potnia ate lunch with the day staff. She didn't say much but enjoyed the company as much as the meal. Even the staff at Unseen University shared the faculty's preference for having their meals large, frequent and delicious. Afterwards, Mrs. Whitlow called her aside.

"Miss Potnia? The Archchancellor hwould like to speak with you in his hoffice. He believes he has something hinteresting to tell you."

Timidly, Potnia knocked on the Archchancellor's door and when she heard his booming "Come in!" she peaked around the edge of the door.

"Ah, Potnia! Do come in," Ridcully was obviously in a jovial, almost Jovian mood. "'ve got someone here y'need to meet. Lady Sto Helit, this is Potnia."

Susan smiled as kindly as she could manage. "Call me Susan, Potnia, and do sit down."

After everyone was seated around the Archchancellor's combination desk, filing system and pool table with after-luncheon sherries, Susan asked, "I understand your family is from Ephebe, Potnia. What do remember of the country?"

"Oh, me family come from there years an' years an' years ago. Oy were born 'ere in Ankh-Morpork an' don' 'ave any mem'ries of Ephebe at all."

Susan raised and inquisitive eyebrow with a one-sided smile. "Potnia, like me, you have an unusual memory. Now think, what do you remember of Ephebe?"

The girl looked puzzled. "Oy—Aye—I remember the wine dark sea, the cerulean sky and the dazzling marble temples on the hilltops. I remember the olive groves with the sheep and cattle grazing underneath, the vineyards and wheat fields . . ."

As she spoke Potnia grew. In seconds she was no longer a slim, pallid city waif with her bangs hanging over her eyes. Potnia Creatrix was tall, deep-bosomed and broad hipped, the very embodiment of fecund, abundant womanhood. No longer did her voice whine pleadingly but deepened into a rich contralto.

"And I remember your dear Grandfather. We were never really antagonistic, he and I. For out of death comes life and in time life wends its way to Death and so the cycle continues until the end of Time. And—and Time is your lover, isn't he? How delightful!" Potnia leaned forward and cradled Susan's face in one hand. "And I have a date with you, Susan Sto Helit, whether you know it or not. For I remember that as well. Thank-you, Archchancellor, for bringing us together. Susan has helped immensely. And now I must leave. Spring is coming and I have much to do."

Green and golden radiance filled the room. Potnia Creatrix faded, leaving nothing but an amused smile—and then was gone.

"Me? Me and Time?" For the first time in her life Susan was at a loss. "She remembers? When? Where?"

"Yer Grandfather never mentioned it? Sly old devil, keepin' a secret like that from yer. Or maybe he just had other things on his mind. In any event, I hope she expresses her gratitude at the family estates. We can always use the production. Thank-ya for yer help, Miss. This could 've been rather a sticky wicket t' solve on our own. And best wishes t' you and yer chap. Y' must bring him by some time for a visit. My door is always open."

12