Ten Days in the Country Ch. 02

Story Info
Nicola chooses her man.
11k words
4.56
15.6k
5

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/22/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sorry for the long delay folks. Here's chapter two and for those who sent me words of encouragement to continue, offered critiques, and requests for some payoff, I hope you feel rewarded by this chapter.

DAY 4

Nicola started the next day earlier than the previous one. Without the feeling of needing to catch up in her day, her morning jog was leisurely, with slow, easy strides. She was mindful of where she was running as she continued to think about the previous day, talking with David, seeing Eric.

David was bringing more conversation into this vacation than she was expecting. She had been thinking that she was going to be a hermit for the entire time. But she was enjoying herself, enjoying her time with the young man. It was refreshing. Lacking any of the pretensions and bravado of many of guys back in the city, David had an honest and relaxed take on things. She was even looking forward to seeing him today when he would come to work on the cottage. However, she also hoped that he would keep his shirt on. Talking was fine. That other sort of distraction...well, she wasn't so sure about.

Then there was Eric who, in two days, went from a countrified letch to...something else. Aside from the unnervingly warm smile he had offered to her, it was his eyes that were now the focus of attention. Perhaps it was because they were bloodshot and full of piss and fire the first time she had met him that she hadn't noticed how soulful they actually looked. Those eyes and David's good words were adding unexpected dimensions to the man.

She still thought of him as the "mountain-man" but now that just made him more intriguing.

As she walked up the stairs to the cottage, much less winded than the previous day, she heard the phone in the cottage ring.

"Hello?" she answered, wiping her wrist across her forehead.

"Hey Nicola? It's David."

"Hi David, how are you?"

"Not bad," he said. His voice seemed low as he talked, "The thing is I'm going out of town for a job in Kilonas about 2 hours north-east of here. It'll probably take me most of the day so I'm just letting you know that I can't come to work at the cottage today. Sorry about that."

"Oh," she spoke softly, "Oh, that's okay."

"Sorry I won't see you today," he said.

He couldn't hide his dejection and Nicola realized she felt the same way. They exchanged short good-byes then hung up.

Standing by the phone she let her mind drift between David and Eric. She shook her head then threw up her hands. Rolling her eyes towards the ceiling, she groaned, "Men!"

Nicola didn't bother going into town that day. She sat out on the porch, read her book, and took a short nap. A gentle wind rustled the leaves in the trees. As she awoke she smiled. She loved waking up looking upwards at the canopy of trees.

She got up and walked across the clearing, yawning and stretching her body as she did so. Stepping close to the edge of the ridge that dropped down to the ravine below, she peered down through the trees. Taking a closer look, she spotted somebody by the creek. It looked like he was fishing, a big muscular man. Her mind sighed. She knew who it was.

As typical of her spontaneous nature, Nicola had two thoughts running through her head as she made her way carefully down the steep slope towards the bottom of the ravine. First, she was wondering why she hadn't put on some proper shoes and pants instead of the cork-heeled sandals and cut off denim shorts she was wearing. Secondly, and more importantly, she was wondering why she was going down to see Eric at all.

The man was leisurely seated on the ground leaning against a large rock, one leg stretched out, the other folded casually, perching his arm which was holding a makeshift stick rod. He simply gazed at where his line had gone into the water, a noticeable, closed mouth smile on his face.

As she approached him from the opposite side of the creek, Nicola thought she had never seen a person so at ease in his world. He looked like a big Tom Sawyer.

Glimpsing the smooth white legs standing across the water from him, Eric looked up slowly taking his time to appreciate her just like he took the time to appreciate so many other things in the wilderness. He had seen many things probably just as beautiful, but a rare few were as appealing.

The pretty blonde had one hand tightly wedged into the back pocket of her sorts as she waved to him once with the free one. She managed a soft smile, although her eyes still showed some hesitation.

Like the way he had looked at her, he acknowledged her slowly with a wispy wave of his hand and that same gentle smile from yesterday.

Nicola realized he was smiling with his eyes, those soulful eyes.

Only the babbling of the small creek filled the void between them as they continued to exchange silent looks and greetings. Nicola guessed that the moment was more awkward for her than for him so she decided to wing it and just say something.

"Beautiful day," she said.

"Certainly is," Eric replied and nodded. He rolled his eyes across the sky before setting them firmly on her once more. "Just beautiful."

Again there was a long pause. He was unfazed but she was shifting nervously on her feet, chewing her lower lip.

"You want a beer?" he asked her.

Nicola looked up, startled. "What? No, that's fine," she replied, "I'm fine."

He motioned towards the water. "It's cold. It's in the creek."

She frowned and looked into the water. She saw the silvery tops of four cans gleaming just below the surface.

"Now, youknow you want one," he laughed, "Just go in and help yourself."

A crooked grin slid onto her face and she shrugged.

Eric watched her as she reached down to take off her sandals. Holding them in her hands, she dipped her toes into the water. She shirked back and yelped, "Hoo! That's cold!"

"Yeah, it'll feel great," he cajoled, "Trust me. Just jump in!"

Nicola stepped into the water gingerly. When both feet were in she stood there letting the water rush past her just a couple of inched below her knees. He was right, it did feel very good and as she stepped across the narrow creek, the smooth river rocks massaged the bottom of her feet.

She reached down for the cans. Stooped over, she looked up at him. "Did you want one?" she asked.

"Sure. Bring them all over."

As Nicola carefully stepped out of the creek holding the beer in her hands, Eric reached behind his back and pulled out the blanket he had been leaning against. He flipped it onto the ground beside him.

Nicola put down the beer before settling down into the blanket. Then she handed him a can and opened one for herself. Eric held his can out to her. She looked at it, then with a wry smile, she touched her can to his. With that silent toast, they both took a drink, her a short sip, him a long drag. As he continued to gulp down the beer it occurred to her how strange it was that she was now sharing a drink with the man who had cause her to tear up the streets of Dorrits with her car in order to escape him during her first few days in town.

Eric sucked down the last drop of beer. "Ahh, that's pretty good, eh?" he said. As she nodded, he rubbed his hand, moist from the can, across his chest and belly.

The fact that he was shirtless all this time hadn't been lost on Nicola. She had noticed it from all the way at the top of the slope. Now as he dragged his hand across the darkly tanned skin stretched tight across his hairy barrel chest and solid abs, she was acutely aware that this man was indeed cut from the stuff of the wilderness around him.

She looked away, hiding the blush on her face. What was it with these shirtless guys these last couple of days?

Staring at her feet, she brushed away the small bits of dirt at her ankles. She sighed and decided to take the bull by the horns. "Eric, about the other day-"

"I'm really sorry about that, Nicola," he interrupted, "I've been a jerk and had every right to be upset with me. I'm sorry."

Nicola glanced up at him, bewildered by his unexpected words and sincere tone. It was also the first time that he called her by name instead of "Sunshine".

Noting how she was stunned into silence, Eric continued, "I guess you've just got to understand that it's hard for us guys out here, you know, when someone like yourself comes through here. We just sort of, well, let go a bit. You know, strut around, swinging our dicks...uh, sorry about that, too."

Nicola chuckled and nodded. The phrasing was what she had expected. She was still surprised by his candid remarks, however, and the way he wouldn't take his eyes of off her. Most people would be fumbling around, looking this way and that, when they offered such a frank apology that seemed to go against heir grain. It was almost as if he were making her accept the apology just by his stoic stare alone.

Trying to fill the sudden silence, Nicola shifted on the blanket and looked at him directly in the eyes as well. She said, "Well, actually Eric, I was going to-"

The man raised an assured finger to her. He tilted his head as he shook it, his lips pursed, silently hushing "Shh." He wagged his finger and said, "Don't. You don't have to."

Nicola wasn't sure why but she smiled and felt more at ease all of a sudden. She looked over at his line drifting in the shallow waters. They sat there quietly for a few minutes then she asked, "So how are they biting?"

************

For the next couple of hours, it was just their voices drifting along with the running creek. Nicola was unaware of the time passing. It was a nice, new feeling for her considering the way her life was run by the clock back home. She was really enjoying their talk. Listening intently, she tried to match his leisurely voice. He had a slight drawl, with lazily spoken R's and W's. There was a whole relaxed nature about him. Nicola though of how David had barely skimmed the surface when he had told her that Eric was truly immersed in his surroundings when he wanted to be.

Eric had a cabin which he had built himself further down the creek. He used it more as a depot than an actual place to live. He liked to stay out doors as much as he could, sleeping outside many nights. He'd stock up his large backpack with supplies then trek off through the hills. He admitted however, that even though he'd probably logged several hundred miles in his treks, he never really wandered too far from the area. Nicola imagined him to be like a solitary bear who had staked his territory and was content to stay there.

"Probably why my wife left me about 10 years ago," he remarked, not sounding too particularly disappointed.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Nicola replied.

"Eh, not such a big deal," he shrugged, "She wanted to go places, wanted a big house. I just wanted to build my little shack in the woods. Wasn't right to make her stay."

"I couldn't imagine yourself any other place but here," she said then added, "You belong in the wilderness."

He looked at her for a moment, taking in those attentive blue eyes of hers. He sighed, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Thinking she might have overstated herself, she quickly added, "I mean, I've never seen anybody so completely at ease with their surroundings."

Eric nodded slowly then looked back at the fishing line.

She watched him snag a couple of fish during their conversation. He'd simply pick them up in his large hands, unhook them, and nonchalantly flip them back into the creek. She couldn't see why a person like him would want to leave this place.

He talked about he moved from job to job around the area, just picking up supply money and killing time. Not surprisingly, it was usually manual labour work.

Nicola noted to herself that the hard work showed in his physique.

"Built for power," he said, flexing his arms mockingly. "Nobody thinks of asking me to use this," he said, tapping his forehead.

"Your friends back in town seem to look up to you," Nicola said as she brushed at the little bits of dirt that had fallen on the blanket.

She was measuring, he could tell. After a second he replied, "I don't think I'd call them friends really."

Without raising her head, she looked towards him with her bright blue eyes and said, "I think David thinks of you as a good friend."

Eric smiled and nodded, "David's a good kid. reminds me of myself when I was his age. He's about 20 or 21?"

"22," she noted.

"22. Wow," he whistled. "That's almost 20 years ago for me know. Yeah, now that I think about it, he really does seem a helluva lot like me when I was his age."

"He's very sweet and thoughtful," Nicola said her voice trailing off a bit. She added quickly, "Not that you're not a teddy bear yourself, I mean!"

Eric smiled, flashing some of his crooked teeth. "No apologies," he said to her, "I know what you mean. He's a good guy. Seems a bit lonely, though."

Nicola tilted her head.

He pointed a finger at her, "No. Now there you go. I can tell by that look. You think I'm talking about myself."

"I didn't say anything," she said with a wide grin.

Eric continued, "All I'm saying is that you don't see many other people his age in this place. He likes it here, just like me, but that could mean a bit of a loner's life."

"But he's also going to school. Maybe he'll move away from here," Nicola said.

The man looked away, saying nothing. She didn't know what to make of his non-response.

They continued talking. He hadn't veered into any of that uncomfortable chauvinism or bravado at all. After a while, he stood up and went to the side of his lounging rock and pulled over his backpack. Nicola watched him as he rummaged through his pack, wistfully admiring his well-sculpted body, red-brown skin, with little nicks and scars here and there, those little imperfections adding to the mystique of this "mountain-man". He had at least 30 pounds more bulk than her ex, Matt.

"Here you go," he said as he held out a small container full of plump blueberries. "I passed a bush on the way here this morning."

He snickered at her as she daintily picked one up between her fingers and placed it on the tip of her tongue.

"Hey, do you know how badly these things can stain my clothes and fingers?" she playfully snapped back at him.

The man sighed, "City folk."

"Bumpkin," she answered. Her bright eyes widened as she chewed, "Ohmygod, these are great, though! So juicy!"

Eric winked and sat back down beside her.

"How do you like the cabin?" he asked her about Kara's cottage in the hills.

"It's really beautiful. She picked a great spot," she remarked, "Secluded. Quiet. The cottage is just so comfy. I'm already regretting having to leave in a few days."

"Yeah, I actually helped her a bit there when she was starting out," he said, "I helped her out when she broke ground. Typical Kara, she made a ceremony of it, held a nice big party with most of the townies. Just a bunch of yokels getting drunk around a pit of dirt."

Nicola smiled.

"Kara's a good girl. Always having people come by when she's here," he noted.

There was a pregnant silence. Nicola motioned like she was going to say something, but caught herself and turned her gaze upon the flowing creek.

*****************

The sun had begun to drift down in the sky. They had talked for hours, shifting their seats and positions several times to let their blood circulate a bit. Nicola, feeling so relaxed and enjoying the company so much, had no thoughts about leaving any time soon. It was Eric who suggested that they call it a day. He looked down towards the west end of the creek and said, "It's going to be dark pretty quickly, at least by the time you make your way back up to Kara's. Trust me, you don't want to be walking up that slope in the dark."

Nicola nodded in agreement. She couldn't quite hide her disappointment though.

They stood up at the same time. Nicola closed her eyes as she inhaled a deep, languid breath and rubbed the back of her neck gingerly. Eric watched her.

She leaned back and stretched. Looking at him, she asked, "Which way are you headed?"

As he started to pack his things, he nodded along the creek. "Just going to hike it for a bit." He winked at her, "I don't have much problems in the dark."

Nicola waited for him to finish packing, quietly watching as he finally put on his shirt, before she turned towards the creek. She felt a tap on the shoulder. As she turned, Eric held out the makeshift fishing rod.

"As a memento for the day," he declared.

She took the rod from him as if it were a bouquet of roses. Ithad been a good day.

"See you later," Eric said then with a sharp grin he added, "Sunshine."

Nicola hit him gently on the arm with the rod. He just chuckled and winked at her as he turned and walked away.

She stood there at the edge of the creek watching him stroll away as if the world was waiting for him to pass by. She suddenly felt anxious and her lips hesitantly opened, motioning to say something. Finally something grabbed her by the gut and she called out to him, "Eric!"

He stopped and turned about 20 yards away from her. The creek babbled on loudly between them

She spoke as she tugged at her finger tips, "Would...Do you want to come by the cottage tomorrow?"

Eric cocked his head.

"How about lunch?" she asked. "No. Dinner. Or lunch? Maybe..."

He held up his hands and shook his head, grinning. What's it going to be?

Nicola flattened her palms and closed her eyes, saying decisively, "Dinner. Come for dinner. Please? Around 6:30?"

He gave her the thumbs up and waved back before continuing on.

With the cusp of dusk beginning to shadow her, Nicola continued to stand on the edge of the creek watching him move further and further away. She still hadn't come to grips what was going on in her head when she finally started to make her way back up to Kara's.

***********

"Alright, it's just dinner! Just dinner!" Nicola said to herself as she walked into the cabin and closed the door behind her. It was already dark outside.

She went over to the kitchen, still muttering to herself, and then stopped in the middle of the floor as a thought struck her. "Shit!" she spat. "Very good, girl. You invite somebody over to dinner and you have no food!"

She opened and closed the kitchen cabinets and fridge looking at the meagre supplies she had brought with her. Then she looked at the fishing rod she was still clutching. "Right, I can always go and catch dinner", she thought, smirking at herself.

Placing the rod down, she dragged her hands through her hair, leaving one on her forehand and placing the other one on her hip. She stared blankly, exasperated with the grocery situation and with herself. She was anxious and excited and couldn't understand why.

"Eric's coming for dinner," she said to herself. Okay.

She told herself that she really enjoyed her day with him, that she felt that they could have talked endlessly if it wasn't for the sun setting. He was just as easy-going and knowledgeable as David had described him to be. Eric was a genuine and earthbound man. Combine all that with his rugged exterior and rough around the edges appearance and you had a very intriguing subject. Very attractive.

Great. Let's just fantasize about the "mountain-man".

Nicola never wanted this. After everything that went on with Matt, she was taking a break from men. Supposedly. Yet now she had to admit she never recalled ever feeling this excited. She rubbed her temple. Maybe she had a headache.

She went to the medicine cabinet and rifled through the bottles and jars looking for some aspirin. A small tin dropped out and into the sink, popping open and spilling its contents. Nicola picked them up slowly and inspected them with a heavy sigh. Her heart skipped.