Ten Great Books, Ten Great Gifts

Story Info
Time to get serious about your holiday shopping.
944 words
4.6
15.6k
0
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lindiana
lindiana
155 Followers

Why give a gift that is worn once and forgotten? Give a gift they shall remember forever. Here is a list of ten great books that would make ten great gifts. Happy Holidays!

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

If she is a lover of all things British, time to treat her to one of the lesser known novels by Jane Austen.Pride and Prejudice,Emma andSense and Sensibility are all well and good. But they have been told via film and television over and over unlike this lovely gem. Jane spends a good deal of her time mocking her contemporary authors in this somewhat gothic story of the oddities within an old abbey that our heroine is lucky enough to be visiting. Catherine, the heroine, is not the bodice ripping love-lost drama queen of many of the novels during her time and this is by far one of Austen's most amusing tales. If you cannot find this, do pick her up a copy ofPersuasion, another fine read with delightful twists and turns.

The U.S.A. Trilogy by John Dos Passos

A contemporary and often friend of some of the great literary figures of his time, his own work was often eclipsed by theirs. Among those he met and/or befriended were Ernest Hemingway, E. E. Cummings, Robert Nathan, F. Scott Fitzgerald and more. For those of a love of US history, this trilogy (and do get all three) is a must. Dos Passos writes with amazing wit and an eye for detail. The trilogy when broken down consists of the three booksThe 42nd Parallel,1919 andThe Big Money. The man was literally literarily before his time. My best comparison is to call him the Quentin Tarantino of his generation.

Velocity by Dean Koontz

I am not a big fan of horror so have shied away from Koontz over the years. However, this latest suspense novel of his is terrific. He manages to deftly hook the reader right in from the beginning. I think I actually read this book in one sitting, it was that good.

Certain Prey by John Sandford

I am usually pretty regular about not reading a series out of order. However, somewhere along the line I managed to pick up this volume in the Prey series and read it first. It hooked me and I have picked up another eight in the series since. By far not the best or the worst, it is an intriguing tale nonetheless. The great thing about the Prey series is you can read a book in the middle and not be completely lost. Thank you to the author for that.

A Widow for One Year by John Irving

Rarely does John Irving write a bad novel but I genuinely love this tale. The story of Ruth Cole is so brilliantly done I would call her a female Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer. Amazing and amusing, anyone would love this tale.

The Dark Room by Minette Walters

If you are a mystery fan and have never read Minette Walters, you are truly missing out. This title tells the story of Jinx Kingsley, the daughter of a millionaire, and it is truly a delightful read. She writes like they film the wonderfulMystery! Series on PBS but even if you do not enjoy it,The Dark Room will make any mystery lover on your list ecstatic.

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

Having missedThe Secret Life of Bees (I probably thought it was really about bees), I picked this, her latest title, up because I had heard such good word about her. I was and am impressed. This is another one of those novels that stick with you long after you have put it down. I am hoping someone on my gift exchange list is reading this and picks me upThe Secret Life of Bees because I still haven't gotten around to buying it myself (Blatant hint!).

Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman

I would read Alice Hoffman's grocery list. I swear I would! This woman can write four pages of describing a flock of birds that would make you weep. I became a fan when I readBlue Diary, another great choice for a gift, and have never looked back. Her stories are brilliantly written and often magical in content. By far, her most popular is undoubtedlyPractical Magic that was made into the film starring Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock. I have never watched it and but the book is wonderful. Alice Hoffman is one of the most gifted writers of our time.

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Another brilliant author of our generation, Isabel Allende has a gift. This was the first of her novels I read and again I became a fan for life. This engrossing tale follows the lives and love of Eliza Sommers, a Chilean orphan adopted by a British spinster and her brother. It follows her life from Chile to the US and back again. An amazing tale and lovingly told, it will keep you interested until the very end.

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton

Another contemporary author who has made a name for herself with, by far, her two best works to dateThe Book of Ruth and this title, both of which won spots on Oprah's Book Club and deservedly so since they are both brilliant. I consider these two her finest works and both are worth a reread.

Here's hoping this literary gift list tickles your fancy. Remember, giving the gift of a book is giving the gift of knowledge. And it is so easy to buy them online!

lindiana
lindiana
155 Followers