Teresa's Christmas Ordeal Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It is good to be the Police Commander.

I delivered Teresa to The Cabin, where her mission for the day was to pet Buddy. And a successful mission it was. Buddy helped by letting Teresa pet him as long as she wanted to. Meanwhile, Ian and Ross were receiving a lot of love from their maternal grandmother.

Later that day, I transported my mom, Laura, Carole, Jim, and of course Bowser to the Cabin. Carole and Jim were very happy to see their brothers. Buddy was happy to see Bowser. A little bit later, Todd brought little Doug up, and it was a full-blown party.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After dinner, I went outside as Buddy and Bowser went to do their business. I had shoveled off the walkway, but not their trail, and their experience with the snow covering their trail had been one of not really knowing what to do. They got about ten feet along the trail and decided that was far enough...

I looked over the Town, which was glistening white in the reflected light off the clouds. I had brought my night-vision binoculars, and made a sweep of the area. No threats anywhere nearby, that I could tell. None near the Mountain Nest, I observed as I looked down at it.

So... why me? Why was this JACKAL person after me? He's just the hired gun, I thought, the real question is who is hiring him to come after me, and why?

"You need to get back inside." I heard a voice behind me say. It belonged to Cindy. "It's cold out here, and we're getting ready to put all the kids to bed." Two excellent dogs had already followed that advice, and had gone back inside when Cindy opened the door.

"Okay." I said. "So, how are things going with your mom?" I had observed that Cindy had a coat on, as I did I; ergo, she wanted to talk.

"Good." Cindy said. "I did bring up her possibly meeting my father, Dr. Eckhart, again. He's always said he'd be glad to see her again, if she was amenable to it."

"And is she?"

"I think so." Cindy said. "And if she moves down here, it'll be inevitable that it happens. I told her that."

"Cool beans." I said. "Is she moving past your father... I mean, her husband's death?"

"I think so." said Cindy. "And I don't expect her to start dating my dad or anything like that. It'll be awkward. I think the problem is going to be Molly."

"I think you're right." I said. "What gave it away for you?"

"Molly is... well, she's not opposed to it," Cindy replied, "but I think she's a bit uncomfortable with it. After all, she's the one on the outside looking in. And also, though she was very, very young, our mother left her with her father during her months with my father. Molly has realized that my mother almost abandoned her. I think that shakes her up if she lets herself remember it."

I nodded. "Good point."

"What about Teresa?" Cindy said. "She seems to be doing well."


"She's trying." I said. "But I've resigned myself to the fact that she will never, ever, get over Christmas Eve being the night her sister died. And she will never, ever get over what her father said to her that night. That one burned her to her very soul."

"Guys, get back inside." ordered Laura from the doorway. We obeyed that order, and went inside.

"Okay, guys," Todd said, standing up after Cindy and I took our coats off, "I have an announcement to make." He went over to where Teresa was sitting, next to the Christmas tree. "I know that this is a hard day for Teresa, and I want to change that. We need better memories for her..."

With that, my handsome nephew dropped to one knee and opened the small box in his hand. "I want this night to be remembered for something better, for this. So... Teresa, will you marry me?"

The room just about erupted. Teresa's hands went to cover her mouth and nose. Cindy, Molly, their mom and my wife were just agog. Phyllis was smiling, but it was the smile of a woman who was seeing things unfold just a step or two behind her vision.

"Oh my... oh my gosh... I can't believe it..." Teresa said. Then she realized an answer was needed. "Yes! Yes, of course." she said. Todd grinned and slid the beautiful diamond engagement ring on Teresa's finger, the band being white gold instead of yellow gold. Then they hugged and kissed as everyone applauded.

"Okay, a toast to our newly engaged happy couple!" Laura said. She already had champagne glasses ready to go. Todd popped the cork on the champagne bottle that was being chilled in the ice bucket near the kitchen, and poured for everyone. We all toasted the happy couple, then some of us began drinking more of the champagne. Yes, I admit I was one of them, and I was going to get a bit toasted.

After getting the kids to bed, with only Carole and Doug being excited about what was to come overnight, we sat around and talked some more. Well, everyone else talked; I observed and deduced. Cindy's mom was looking happy at being with her family. My mom was also happy in the same way. Cindy was looking like she was beginning to relax, while Molly was looking a bit tense. Todd was talking with Teresa, making her laugh as they talked about her surprise at being given the ring... which Teresa had not expected until the next day.

And Teresa... there was no mistaking it. Even the proposal could not wipe out the years of pain this day had brought, and the memories of Alexis, and then of Amy just the year before. And I wondered if there would ever be a way for Teresa to expunge that pain, and be truly happy...

Part 5 - Decimation of Hope

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, December 27th. "Channel Two News has learned that the group 'Citizens for Police Accountability' has filed a lawsuit against the Town & County Police Department!"

Bettina went on: "The lawsuit was filed over the strong Police presence at the Bulldogs-Engineers game last month. Spokespersons Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex said in a statement that they were forced to file the lawsuit after the Town & County Public Safety Department refused to meet with them about Commander Donald Troy's excessive use of force."

"In other news," Bettina went on, "State Department of Justice Regional Director Harold Bennett announced that former Assistant District Attorney Jenna Stiles has been hired as a State Attorney for the Region. Ms. Stiles will be prosecuting cases on behalf of the State DOJ. Ms. Stiles said in a statement that she looks forward to representing the State's interests in cases involving the Town & County."

"Is that a good or bad thing?" asked Theo Washington, astutely picking up on the subtlety of Jenna's statement.

"I dunno." replied Captain Cindy Ross, Jenna's former fiancée.

"Sounds a little ominous." I said. "I can tell you this much: she will not be a friend of Krasney in Court. And one of the roles the State DOJ is trying to create for its State Attorneys is that of defending civil rights. If Jenna thinks Krasney is not giving enough support to minority or women's interests in his prosecutions, she can step in and prosecute those herself... and possibly go after Krasney for not doing so."

"You think Mr. Bennett will keep her in check?" asked Teddy Parker.

"I don't know." I replied. "With him, it depends on how the political winds are blowing."

Just then I was interrupted by Bettina's last news item: "And one of the County's, if not the State's most eligible bachelors is now off the market! BOW Enterprises has announced that their CEO, Mr. Todd Burke, is engaged to Police Captain Teresa Croyle of the TCPD. Our congratulations to the happy couple!"

There was applause in the room for Teresa, who was sitting there drinking coffee with the rest of us. The engagement ring on her finger suddenly became much more noticed. I eventually left as the coffee klatch became an exercise in diamond inspection among the women...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jack Muscone scheduled a meeting with me for 11:00am at the Federal Building. That was smart of him, I thought: it'd take an hour at least to have our meeting, then we could go to the Cop Bar for delicious double cheeseburgers. That was an FBI plan I could live with.

Once I got there and we were seated in the plexiglass cube, Jack said "The original paperwork you signed on JACKAL covers all conversations about the subject, so you won't have to re-sign paperwork every time you come in." I nodded.

"What we've found out," said Muscone, "is that one of the U.S. passport numbers you gave us was used to gain entry into America about two months ago. October 27th, to be exact. Flight from Paris, France to New York City."

"Did y'all check to see if the other passport numbers were used after that one was?" I asked.

Jack looked over his notes and said "Yes. The computer ran the numbers and didn't stop if one hit came up, so all of them were checked. That was the only hit."

"Two months ago." I said. "Right about the time Laura's office was ransacked."

"Think there's a connection?" Jack said.

"As of now, not really. But beyond that... this just does not make sense!" I said in exasperation. "Why would he come over back then? I really would think he would wait until just before his move against me to come over here."

"Maybe he had other business first." Jack replied. "Or maybe he's been scouting you out." Both were logical points.

"True." I said, trying to think. "But it doesn't seem right."

"Don," Jack said, "I don't requisition firewood for very many people. Most criminals are stupid, and thank God they are!"

"Yes, but this JACKAL is not some dumbass like Dirty Lennie or Steven Ikea." I replied. "He's hired for ten million a pop, and there is a reason he's paid that sum when he demands it... because he's that good. No, this does not make any sense... the whole damn thing does not make sense..." I went into a reverie.

"Well, you won't be any less dead if he succeeds." Jack said.

"True." I said. "Have y'all found any financial information on him?"

"Not a scrap." said Muscone. "And we're not allowed to talk to your Mouseketeers about this one, either. But our own people are really good, and they haven't found anything. We figure he has Swiss bank accounts that are being shielded by their banking laws."

"He's got to have something on this side of the pond, maybe offshore, Cayman Islands, or something like that." I said. "For his American earnings."

"Nothing there, either." said Jack. "By the way, my boss and I did come up with one idea to explain why he's after you, so see how you like it: maybe Raymond Westboro had set up something in the event of his death, something that would trigger the JACKAL to come after whoever killed Westboro. And that being you, maybe now that's coming to fruition?"

"Any ten million dollar gaps in Westboro's finances?" I asked. "Especially after his death?"

"Not that we've found," replied Jack, "but Westboro really tangled up his financial dealings. Threads all over the place, knotted up like crazy... Who knows what may have happened and we plain missed it?"

"That's not the worst idea I've ever heard." I said. "My only objection right now is that it was not like Westboro to think for even a minute that he would lose, so he wouldn't set up a doomsday scenario like that... oh, wait..."

"What?" asked Muscone.

"Maybe not a Westboro post-doomsday scenario," I said, "but what if it's that kind of scenario for something or someone else?..."

"What do you mean?" Jack asked. "What scenario?"

"Mittens Baker." I replied. "Providence Springs, and Apple Grove."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was a long day. Security was ramping up around the Civic Center as 'The Vision' staff and others began building the stage, putting in the audio/visual network, and setting up the tables and chairs for the big event the next day. Both Cindy and Teresa were at the Civic Center all day, planning their portions of the security details.

The Chief left at 4:00pm, telling me that he was going to a meeting with the Sheriff and other Public Safety Department Chief-level peeps, and saying he would not be back in the office today. He instructed me to take off and go home. I did so, knowing I could think about the problem of the JACKAL while petting Bowser and Buddy just as easily as I could here in the office.

"Well, hello son." my mother said as I came into the Mountain Nest. "You're home early, for you, that is."

"Yes, the Chief sent me home." I said. "How are the kids?"

"Good. They're napping." said my mom. "My, you look either tired or worried. What's on your mind?"

I sat down beside my mom on the sofa that faced the one against the wall. "I can't tell you everything, Mom, but there's some scoop that a high-level assassin might be after me." Without going into too much detail, I outlined the 'strangenesses' of the whole case.

"Well, son," said my mom, "it sounds like diversion to me, and you are not the real target."

"Yeah, I thought of that." I said. Just then Bowser bounded up, followed by Buddy. I began petting the dogs as I thought and talked. "But why bother with an expensive assassin?"

"To make you keep your head down." Phyllis said. "You're thinking about it now. That means your enemies are succeeding, though you're right to think about it."

"So the question is... who wants me distracted and keeping my head down?" I said. "I dunno, Mom... it still doesn't fit the data."

"So, what is your idea, then?" asked my mom. I realized she was playing the game with me she always had, putting something out there to make me think about it, and ultimately come up with my own answers.

"Well, nothing really fit... oh, wait a minute... one thing does..." I went into a reverie. When I finally came out of it, Buddy and Bowser were curled up on either side of me on the sofa, half-asleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was finishing up cooking dinner when Laura came in. Not realizing I was home, she had not set her face when she came in, and I had that split-second to read it before she saw me.

"Oh, you're home early." she said. "And dinner's just about ready! No wonder I married you."

I smiled and kissed her. "Yes, one of those rare days. So, what's bothering you? Teresa's tests?" Laura's eyebrows arched for a second, then she conceded.

"Yes." my wife said. "Her tests came back just a while ago. That's why I was running a little late."

"So don't keep me in suspense." I said.

"Let's have supper first." Laura said. That did not make me feel like eating, for sure.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Carole," I said, "green beans are for you, not for Bowser." My daughter looked up at me and arched her eyebrows the same way her mother did. "Now eat your beans, sweetie."

"If I do, can I read you a story at bedtime?" Carole said. Good grief, my daughter was becoming a Donald-Trump-level negotiator... but it was easy to concede this one, since I would be happy to let her read me a book anyway.

"Yes, if you clean your plate like I just did, you can read me a story." I said. Two plates were devoid of food at the end of suppertime, and Jim and his grandmother had eaten a good portion of theirs. By way of contrast, Laura had set a poor example for Carole; she had barely eaten anything. And the fear in my soul crept up even more.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As my mom got the kids ready for bed, Laura sat down beside me in the den. "Here are Teresa's test results." she said. I opened the folder and immediately saw it.

Laura went on as I read the results: "I can't get the MRI until Thursday at 11:00am, but I reserved it, so have her at the Hospital an hour before then."

I nodded. "Do you want me to tell her, and before then?"

"No." Laura said. "I want to run the MRI first. And while it will be good to have you there, I need to be the one to tell her."

I just nodded. I called Buddy and Bowser, who immediately ran to the back door. We went out to the backyard. As they went to do their business, I sat on the patio seat.

I thought about all Teresa had gone through, and how she was just breaking out and going forward, and was just becoming happy in her life. And she was kicking butt in her new position with the TCPD. Everything I hoped for her was just in front of her grasp... and now this...

I realized that tears were flowing from my eyes. I was crying, and I just let myself cry some more. This just was not fair, it just was not right. So close... and now we were going to have to tell Teresa that she had all the signs... of having ovarian cancer.

To be continued.