Texas Trio Ch. 04-07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Colt moved both hands to her waist, tearing his mouth from hers and taking an unsteady step away. Cat didn't know what had happened; all she knew was that she was cold where she'd been burning up a second before. She tugged on the cowhide vest, her eyes on his lips, dazed and dreamy.

With effort he suppressed what would have been his third groan in five minutes. "Christ, woman, are you trying to kill me?"

His rough voice thrust Catherine back into the reality of her uncle's townhouse. She yanked her hands away, plastering them to her burning cheeks and to escape her shame, but Colt's hands stayed her flight.

'Shhh." He said again. "Shhh. It's alright, everything's gonna be alright."

Hands still shielding her face, Cat tried to find the words to ask him how. How would her life ever be alright again?

"But, what--? How?" Her perfect comportment had completely deserted her.

"I know what you're uncle's doin' to you. I want to help."

Flustered, Catherine didn't even think of denying the allegation, which was the correct thing to do when a stranger spoke of matters which didn't concern him. "Who are you? I don't even-- oh, my goodness-- I don't even know your name!"

Colt grinned suddenly, and against his better judgment, he told her. "Colt Kendall, miss. And, besides being the living picture of an angel, you're-- "

He didn't know her name, either!

But no, he went on. "Catherine...?"

"Connor. Catherine Connor."

"Pleased to meet you, Miss Connor." Colt lifted one hand from her cheek and bent low to kiss it.

Cat giggled and moved quickly to cover her mouth.

"Who are you?" She whispered again. It was nice to know his name, but that wasn't what she'd been asking, not really.

"I want to help you," he repeated.

"How? How can you possibly help me, Mr. Kendall?"

"Come with me. I'll take care of you."

"Come with you?" The force of Catherine's whisper conveyed her incredulity. "I can't come with you! I don't even know you."

Colt's fingers tightened on her own and he drew her in, bending to prove Cat did indeed know him.

Having regained some sense of propriety, Cat jerked her hand from him. "Oh, no you don't! You've had as much kissing as you're going to get tonight!"

Cat saw one corner of his mouth-- that delicious mouth-- curl upward again, and slapped a quick lid on her desire to smile in return. She didn't think he believed her. She wasn't sure she believed her, either.

"I don't know you and I certainly don't trust you to 'help me', whatever you think you'll get for your assistance."

Was that a flicker of dismay in his beautiful blue eyes? She shook her head. What was she doing alone with this man?

"Come with me, Cat. I'll take care of you, and you don't owe me nothing." Neither of them noticed when he shortened her name as naturally as if he'd known her forever.

Cat stepped sideways twice, fast, putting some space between them.

"I can't. I have a sister, and Nanny. I can't just leave." The words tore from her throat like sandpaper. Before she could change her mind, she turned and ran from the room.

Colt stayed where he was, staring after her, until he heard the muted thud of her closing door.

Then he smiled. She'd said she couldn't, not that she didn't want to. ->->--<<O>>--<-<-

Two hours later Catherine sat bolt upright in her bed, blinking in black confusion as she tried to make sense of her location. She was sweating and breathing heavily and for a long moment, couldn't remember where she was.

In the dream, she'd been flying, her hair down, her head uncovered as she straddled the back of a great black bird. She'd never felt so free. At a towering wall of jagged blue peaks, the bird turned, following its shadow into a valley where clouds closed overhead. Damp fir trees slapped the toes of her satin slippers, and Catherine shivered. They flew for hours and emerged into a golden, sunlit afternoon. In the clear sky, the bird swooped and dove and Catherine laughed as her blood heated. Then the raven fell, and she screamed.

One second they were flying and the next she was not. In the way of dreams, the bird was gone and in his place was a gleaming black stallion. With a sigh, Cat relaxed into the rhythm of its run, every bit as free on land as the bird had been in air. The horse's hooves beat the land, thunderous footfalls rising through its bones to the broad, strong back where Catherine clung, each breath rushing through her lungs into the stallion's chest. Panting from the exertion of their run, Catherine lifted her head as the stallion's gallop slowed to a canter, and the canter to a walk, heavy and somber.

The ponderous dirge of her heartbeat skittered and skipped as the stallion approached a long, low building. When it stopped, she slid from the warm, wide back to the foot of the stairs, and her vision clouded. A whistle in the distance announced the arrival of a train that would carry Catherine home to her Uncle Harry.

She frowned up at the inky clouds of steam. With a screech, the train stopped on the far side of the station, waiting for its only passenger. Catherine tried to be strong, but the stallion nudged her shoulder, and when she looked back, the coal-black lashes were spiky and wet around limpid cobalt eyes.

Cat gasped in recognition. She pivoted on her heel, reaching to embrace the muscular neck, but cruel hands dragged her backwards across the platform. She keened brokenly, fighting their grip on her arms, but her captors were too strong. The last thing she saw before the station door swung closed was the stallion's proud head drooping nearly to the ground.

Locked in a stateroom facing the open prairie, Cat cried against the window, knowing she'd never again feel the freedom of riding on bird or beast. She wept until she saw a tunnel ahead diving beneath the mountain range. The fear and desperation were overwhelming, and in the dream, she fainted, waking miserable and cold.

Catherine fell back against her pillows, sadly sure of her location. In the absolute darkness of her room, she could still see the blue eyes gleaming wetly as she was dragged from the deserted street.

What did it mean? Would she ever see the blue-eyed burglar again?

She huddled under the covers, as lonely as she'd ever been.

->->->->->->--<< Chapter 7 >>--<-<-<-<-<-<-

"This is the dumbest idea you've ever had, and this year alone you've had dozens of exceedingly dumb ideas." Jem muttered, yanking his cuffs irritably, adjusting what didn't need to be adjusted.

Colt ignored him.

"We're lucky we haven't gotten caught yet. That's all it is, sheer dumb luck that no one at the club last night knew me well enough to realize 'Señor Allejandro' was just plain old Jeremiah Wilson with his hair slicked back and some baubles on." Jem flicked the heavy gold watch chain dangling across the front of his gray silk vest.

As they were alone in the carriage, Colt didn't care how vehemently Jem complained, as long as he was cooperating with the plan. And their plan was coming along just fine, no matter what Jem said.

Two nights ago their friend Abbott had sent his own man along to the club. Pretending to be in the employ of one Señor Juan "Big Jim" Allejandro, a wealthy Argentinean landowner, he'd approached Hawkins about obtaining some "entertainment" for his master, who was purportedly in Galveston on business. When Hawkins discovered the kind of entertainment Allejandro preferred, he'd gone directly to his employer with the news. Within twenty-four hours Catherine's Uncle Harry had come calling on Jem in his room at the hotel, bearing a proposition fit only for a particular breed of businessman. The deal boiled down to marrying Harry's niece, splitting her fortune with him, and whisking her away to anywhere but here-- presumably his imaginary ranch in Argentina.

"As your wife, of course, it's up to you what to do with her once you reach your homeland-- " Harrison Matthews gave him a slimy sideways glance that made Jem want to drive his fist all the way through the back side of the man's skull. "--as long as she doesn't end up back in Texas again, she's no longer my concern."

Between Jem's family connections and Abbott's own, they'd come up with no hard facts, but common knowledge and rumor both supported what Colt had heard in Catherine's uncle's study that night: Harrison Matthews had never been as wealthy as he liked to pretend. His late father's shaky business dealings were shored up by his late wife's dowry, but his own acumen hadn't taken advantage of either opportunity. Harry liked cards and whores more than meetings or honest labor, and the dowry was soon spent on his lavish lifestyle. The only reason anyone could find for Harrison's survival in the lofty air of Galveston society was the large stipend provided by his nieces' inheritance, which would vanish when they married.

Now Jem and Colt were in Harrison's carriage, which had been sent to fetch Señor Allejandro and his manservant "Miguel" from the Tremont Hotel. Their own driver followed along in a neat new trap purchased solely for this venture. After several lessons from Abbott and his easily amused valet, Cranston Charlie, the group's opinion was that Colt could pass as a South American manservant, provided he kept his eyes down.

Colt said a silent "thank you" to his parents, whoever they had been, for the half-Indian ancestry which had given him his black hair and dark skin; this was one of the few times in his life it had been an advantage. Jem had cattle ranching and the darkening effects of hair oil to thank for altering his coloring to a more southern hue.

As the carriage halted, Jem hissed one last reminder to Colt, "Remember, eyes and shoulders down!"

Colt lagged behind while Cat's uncle greeted Jem at the door.

"Welcome, welcome! Come right in. John will have your bags brought in. Let me show you to your suite so you can freshen up before dinner. My niece will join us then. This is your man?"

Colt kept his eyes, head and shoulders down, as instructed, dragging his feet for good measure.

"Yes-- Miguel. He's mute and dumb as a brick, but he can shine a pair of shoes like no one's business!"

By thinking of Catherine, Colt managed not to let his face speak for him while the two clothes-horses ahead had a laugh at his expense. He could pay his partner back in spades once Cat was safely tucked away on the ranch.

"Well, come along then, man, follow your master."

After the porters deposited their trunks, Matthews excused himself, saying he'd see "Jim" at dinner.

Colt and Jem unpacked Jem's bags in the big dressing room attached to Jem's suite. There was also a large bathroom, a water closet, a huge bedroom, and a smaller nook off the dressing room for Colt.

"In case you need your feet rubbed in the middle of the night." Colt growled.

"Keep your voice down." Jem hissed at him. "You're supposed to be mute."

"That was your idea, not mine."

"Well, unless you wanted to learn Spanish in twelve hours, it seemed like the sensible choice. We're about two minutes from Mexico here. In fact, it used to be Mexico; most households here have some Spanish-speaking servants."

Colt lifted a shoulder. He had to admit Jem was probably right. Jem was usually right, at least about the bookish stuff. Colt didn't have his friend's education, but he knew all the things about life Jem didn't, and could do figures as well as any accountant, so they made a perfect team. Jem's education, breeding, and social skills took care of their political dealings, while Colt's ability to see which way the wind was blowing, sometimes literally, took care of the ranch and their other investments. At this moment their combined talents were earning a bushel of money every minute in the railroads spreading out over Texas. North of Liberty Falls, the cattle ranch they started six years ago was also paying healthy dividends, as well as acting as the duo's home base.

It occurred to Colt for the tenth time that day how lucky he was to have Jem as a friend, especially considering the difference in their backgrounds.

Well, not that much....

Colt was raised in an orphanage for the first five years of his life, then a series of alleyways, saloons, and a bakery where he worked sixteen-hour days until he turned thirteen and got the hell out. Jem got to take his beatings at home from just one man. Colt wasn't sure there was any advantage in that. He fancied he was better off not knowing his father than Jem was, knowing his father hated him and hearing it every day of his life.

They finished storing clothes away in silence, and settled down in the small sitting area to discuss their plan.

"I still don't understand how you think I'm going to get this woman to come willingly, Colt. Did you get a good look at the house when you were here before?"

Colt glanced curiously around the room they were in. High ceilings, spacious rooms, fancy rugs over elaborate parquet floors-- it looked about like every other mansion he'd broken into in his life. He lifted a brow in Jem's direction.

"It's built on two lots." Jem waited expectantly. When Colt showed no sign of comprehension, he gestured impatiently toward the window. "It's one street off Broadway, in the most fashionable section of town. These lots are worth a fortune, but the extra one ensures the ladies can have more impressive garden parties than their friends, and the carriage driver doesn't have to drive all the way around to the alley at the back to put the horse away."

Colt shrugged, still unimpressed.

Jem's jaw tightened in frustration. "Your young lady lives in the lap of luxury. You really think she'll sacrifice all this for a hot, dusty ranch-house in the middle of Nowheresville?"

Colt nodded with absolute certainty, still not bothering with words.

Jem surrendered. "Alright, then... if Matthews is forcing her to marry me, I say we go ahead with that plan and tell her after. We can't leave the ranch alone forever, and he wants her gone as soon as possible."

Colt started shaking his head halfway through. "First off, I want her to feel fine about bringing her sister along. I don't trust Matthews, and we're not leaving anyone she cares about behind. If Cat don't trust you, she might think her sister's safer here. As long as we ain't kidnapping Cat, I'd rather not kidnap the sister, either."

Jem nodded.

"Second, I don't want her to be scared. The girl doesn't scare easy, but she's a lady, Jem, and she has to be scared at the idea of that man picking a husband for her. She's a virgin, besides."

Jem raised an eyebrow in his direction.

Colt shrugged. "I came back."

Jem sat bolt upright on the edge of the settee. "When was this?"

"A couple of nights ago. The night after I first told you about her, when you went to Abbott's."

"And she's still a virgin?"

" 'Course she is." Colt hoped he sounded more steady than he felt. There'd been a few minutes there in the parlor when he hadn't been sure he could stop himself. About the only thing that saved him-- saved her-- was knowing what her uncle would do to her if they got caught.

"Well, how do you know she's untried, then?" Jem's voice sounded odd to Colt. He was acting suspicious, as though Cat truly was his fiancé and Colt a real rival for her affections.

Colt almost smiled. He couldn't imagine his partner getting hitched for real, or trusting a woman enough to let her into his heart. Jem's father had beaten most of the trust out of him a long time ago. Colt knew for a fact he was the only person on earth Jeremiah Wilson trusted one-hundred percent.

"I kissed her, Jem, that's all."

"And?"

"And, she kisses like the angel she is... but that first kiss... she had no idea what she was doing. She didn't know nothing... 'til I taught her." Colt couldn't keep the pride from his voice. "But, God a'mighty, did she learn fast."

Jem glared at him.

Colt laughed out loud. "Oh, quit. What's your problem? You never even met her. Besides, we shared women before, you never had an issue then."

"Yeah, well, this one's a lady, like you mentioned, and a virgin, as well. As long as she's to be my wife, I should be the one to have that honor. I don't need to know her personally to know that."

It was Colt's turn to straighten. "You remember you're getting this annulled, don't you? Because I plan to have her engaged to me by the time you do."

Jem smiled, making Colt's fingers itch to bunch up and belt him. "We'll have to see about that, won't we?" He relaxed for a moment against the arched back of the settee. "Besides, as you pointed out, we've shared women before."

"But this one is a lady." Colt reflected, keeping the thought to himself. ->->->->->->--<<O>>--<-<-<-<-<-<-

If you've enjoyed Texas Trio and my other stories and would like to read more, please consider writing a review. Check out my bio for more information, or email me if you'd like a free copy of my favorite story, "The Wolf and the Irish Woman." Thank you again for the hearts, stars, & comments! Back in 2 weeks with Part 3!

Love-- Stefanie Olsen

12