That Was Then - This is Now Pt. 03

Story Info
The conclusion (Includes part of Pt. 2).
17.8k words
4.26
43.3k
51

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/25/2022
Created 11/01/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note to readers: I was advised by several readers that they couldn't access Page 3 of Part 2. I advised Literotica of this, but in the mean time I've included it with Part 3, that's why Part 3 is a little longer than usual. As usual, I appreciate that you took time to read my stories. That being said, remember folks, this is FICTION.

*****

Chapter 8

I returned to my apartment, reflecting on the day. It was, to say the least, eye-opening. I hadn't realized how Erica felt and had tried to put the thought of her or what she might be thinking out of my mind. I resolved to call her tomorrow and set up a meeting. Tonight I just wanted to relax and not think of anything, anything at all. I was in bed and asleep by ten without even having dinner. My appetite had deserted me in the park.

****

Jim and Sonja walked back towards the apartment block. "Jim, you want to come over for dinner? I know the girls would love to see you again. I don't know what we're having, but I can get something together."

"Sounds good. But how about this? We swing by the Burger Baron and pick up some burgers and a couple of kids meals, my treat."

"Are you sure? I know the girls love those kids' meals they have. I haven't had one of their burgers for ages."

"Good, it's settled. Let's go up to my apartment so I can get cleaned up then we'll head over." They walked up the stairs to his apartment. "Sorry about the mess. Typical bachelor pad. I'll just be a minute then we can get going."

Sonja didn't think it was all that bad, just disorganized. Certainly not as bad as some she had seen. She sat at the kitchen table thinking about their relationship. On their first date he had come over to her apartment to pick her up. The girls fell in love with this huge Teddy Bear at first sight, especially when he got down on the floor to play with them.

They had been out several times and Sonja was thinking about taking it to the next level. What she didn't know is that Jim was having those exact same thoughts as he got ready. Maybe they'd talk about it tonight after the girls had gone to bed.

After burgers and cokes, they relaxed in Sonja's living room. The girls wanted Jim to try the latest video games, which he let them win. Sonja just looked on and smiled at the three of them. Eight o'clock came around and it was time for the girls to go to bed. Jim grabbed each one around the waist and carried them screaming and giggling into their bedroom, with Sonja following right behind. He left the three of them there as Sonja got them into bed.

"Jim, can you come in? Megan and Misty want you to help tuck them in. They also want a story, but I said no." Jim went into the bedroom and found the two girls already in bed. "They just want you to kiss them good night," said Sonja. He went and kissed each girl on the forehead, said good night to them, and he and Sonja retreated to the living room.

"Do you want something to drink? I mean other than coke? I've got some wine in the fridge, a nice merlot from the Okanagan."

"Okay, just a small glass. I really haven't done much drinking since..., well you know. Evan kind of got me hooked on iced tea," replied Jim. "With him you'd think there was no other cold beverage on the planet."

Sonja giggled as she poured two glasses of wine and returned to sit beside Jim on the couch. She handed one to Jim and raised her glass, "To friends."

He replied, "To friends," took a sip then placed his wine on the coffee table. He then took her glass from her and placed it beside his, leaned over and kissed her.

She responded by pulling him closer and kissing harder. "Damn, you. What took you so long?" she asked when they broke to come up for air.

"I didn't want to chase you away. We were friends and I didn't want to get in the way of that," Jim said. "I've wanted to do that for so long."

"Me too," she said, pulling him in for another long kiss. She took one hand and placed it on her breast.

They made out like a couple of teenagers when she pulled away, stood up and took him by the hand. "Please, be gentle. It's been a long time since I was with anyone who I cared for," she said softly as she led him into her bedroom. "We have to be quiet because of the girls."

"Oh baby. I've wanted you for so long." Jim kissed her and began unbuttoning her shirt...

Later on, lying cuddled together in bed Sonja asked, "What now? Do you think we have a chance?"

"Baby, I've wanted you since the first time I laid eyes on you. And those two little imps. I just don't think I'm good enough for you or them. You know, with my past and all. You don't know the whole story, nobody around here does."

Sonja leaned over and kissed him. "I know enough. You're the man I want, the man I need. The girls adore you, and so do I. I'm hoping we can become a real couple. Come on, get dressed and let's go finish our wine and talk."

She got out of bed and put on a robe. Jim did the bathroom thing, got dressed and walked out to find her in the living room sipping on her glass of merlot. "Baby, let me tell you what happened that got me sent to prison. After that you might change your mind. I really, really hope you don't. Here's what happened..."

* * * *

I woke up early Saturday morning. I must have been exhausted and slept for nearly twelve hours. It took a few moments before I began to remember the events of yesterday. Ten AM, maybe Erica is up. I found the card she had left me and punched the number into my cell phone. There was no answer, so I left her a message to call me on her answering machine and went to have a shower. I'd already put the coffee on. It would be ready when I finished my morning ablutions.

I had just poured my first coffee when the doorbell rang. I expected it to be one of my sisters, so just pushed the button to allow them into the building. To my utter surprise, Erica was standing there when I opened the door.

"Uh, Erica. I just called you. What are you doing here?" She was standing there in the doorway, a small figure with a scared look on her face.

"Evan, forgive me. I got your address from Barb. After yesterday I had to tell you what I'm thinking, what I'm feeling. All I ask is that you hear me out then I'll go if you want. Please, please."

She was almost begging, so unlike the Erica I knew from years ago. Of course, I had wanted to meet with her after discussing things with my therapist, but this certainly wasn't what I had in mind. I invited her in.

"Would you like a coffee? I just made it" I said as I put my coffee on the kitchen table and gestured her to sit down.

"Um, okay. I guess I could use a coffee."

"Cream, one sugar. Right?" I asked.

"You remembered," replied Erica.

"You'd be surprised at what I remember," I said as I put the mug in front of her then sat down across the table. She was still as lovely as ever, but she had changed. There was no spark of life in her eyes, and she looked sort of flat, almost unemotional. "I just called you to set up a meet somewhere. I really didn't expect you to be here."

"I know. But yesterday, after...well, yesterday I called Barb and talked to her for about two hours. She gave me your address and here I am. Evan, I know I can't undo what was done, but I have to tell you my side. After that, I'll go."

"Go on," I replied, stone faced. My guts were churning but I didn't want her to know that.

"This thing with Brad. He seduced me. I have no excuse for that. None whatsoever. I totally fucked up and I know that. Evan, with him it was just the sex. It was just raw sex. With you and me it was love. We never had sex, we made love. I was only with Brad four times, just four Monday mornings. You know, that after the first two times it almost seemed scripted. I don't know how you found out, but when I saw our picture with the black "X" through it, I knew that my life as I knew it was over, that I'd lost you. Then the next day when you ran away from me when I was trying to catch up to you...well, I..."

"And I wouldn't let you try and justify your actions," I couldn't keep the bitterness out of my voice. "I heard you telling him it was getting better every time meaning that wasn't the first. If it had been, I might have acted different, but it wasn't. As much as it tore my guts and heart out, I had to cut my losses. I couldn't live a lie pretending I didn't know. And now I hear you tell him he's getting better. What the hell was I SUPPOSED to think? You know, I still have that old cell phone. The video I took of you two, along with the pictures are the only thing on it. It's seared into my head, you telling him that you had never had it so good. It's all there! Want to see it?" I was really getting pissed at her, and at myself, for not being able to let her go.

"Please, just hear me out. After it all came out, all our old friends turned against me. Frances Brown really told me off, as did some of the others. I deserved it all. I basically became a hermit and finished the semester, then left the college. I didn't know about any of the rest of it until I met Barb in the lab. My Dad sent me to BCIT to finish my certification. I lived with my Aunt there. We talked about what I had done. She already knew. She'd talked to my Mom and your Mom. She never told me that you were in prison. Nobody did until Barb in the lab. We met again for coffee a couple of times and she told me the whole story. I still have trouble believing everything that I caused."

"Anyway, my Aunt told me that she had made the same mistake when she was young, and she's still alone to this day. The love of her life moved on when she moved in with this guy. It turned out to be a mistake, but for her it was too late. He fell in love with someone else and has a great family. My Aunt is even friends now, but she realizes that's all it will ever be. She told me not to make the same mistake. Not to make the same mistake and lose the man I love. Evan, that man is you." With that, Erica got up from the table and started towards the door. Her coffee was untouched.

"Can I say something before you go?" I asked. She stopped, turned around and stood beside the table. I could tell that she was just on the brink of tears. It wouldn't take much for them to fall.

"You know, when I found out it just tore the guts out of me. I'd lost my whole world. I have never felt so angry and betrayed in my life. You did the worst thing possible that I can think of; you broke a trust. I buried myself in my school work, my job and my tutoring. Brad even called to set up his next tutoring session. I guess he figured out that wasn't going to happen when I just hung up on him. Anyway, I had it all worked out. My pain was going to end, and I wouldn't have to worry anymore. Well, you know the rest. If Ed hadn't come through the door when he did..."

"Despite all this I never stopped loving you, never blamed you for what happened after. I'm the one who's supposed to be dead, not Brad. I thought you two were together. Nobody told me different, and I didn't ask. Yes, our friends turned against you, but I just avoided them. There was just too much pain, too much history, and the wounds wouldn't heal. Yes, even after all this time I still love you. I absolutely hate your cheating, that is inexcusable."

I stopped and took a huge breath. "I don't know what's going to happen now but I told my therapist and my real friends that I'd let you have your say. I don't know if I can get past your cheating; your breaking a trust."

"Evan, I don't know if I can ever regain your trust. I'd like for us to try and get together again, but I totally understand if you don't want to. I'm going now. You can think it over and call me, or not." Erica got up from the table and let herself out of the apartment before I could reply.

Damn, damn, damn. I didn't want her to go, but I couldn't wait till she was gone. My mind was whirling. My coffee got cold, I didn't even notice.

Part 3

Chapter 9

Sunday I just relaxed, well, as much as I could. There was nothing of interest on the tube, and I found myself reading the same pages of my book over and over. Damn. Erica. I was feeling totally confused. I went for a walk over to the park and walked around watching the kids feeding the ducks, old folks and young couples walking hand in hand, young families playing in the playgrounds. Everyone having a really good day; I had never felt so alone.

Monday found me in the office early, hours before any of the others would show up. When in doubt and you can't sleep, there's always paperwork. I'd been there about two hours when Sonja came in. She wasn't her normal cheerful self as she came into my office and closed the door.

"Evan," she was almost sobbing. "I don't know how to tell you this. Me and Jim got together..."

"Did he hurt you, cause a problem?" I interjected.

"No, no. It's not Jim. We had a great time together. It was wonderful. He stayed over until last night. The girls think they love him. I'm sort of leaning that way too. Even with his past, well, he told me. That's not the problem. It's my brother, my lowlife brother. He came to see me after Jim left last night. He threatened my girls, his nieces." Sonja went on to relate how he was trying to blackmail her into getting the banking codes for the business so he could steal from the accounts online. He'd been watching her and saw that she was the one who usually made the weekly deposits. He figured that by threatening her daughters, he could blackmail her into giving him the access codes to the business accounts. The last thing he expected was that she would come to me and lay it out and ask for help.

"Okay, I think I've got it. You're supposed to get the online banking codes from me, give them to him so he can slowly bleed the company bank accounts, right?" She nodded. "Okay, let's make sure that that is exactly what he gets, with a few little wrinkles thrown in. What I need you to do is don't say anything to anyone. I'll make a couple of phone calls, and see what we can set up. Just do your best to be natural, and whatever you do, don't mention this to Jim. At least not yet. We don't need him mad just yet. Maybe later, but not yet."

Sonja was visibly relieved. "You mean something can be done. I mean to end this for once and forever. I just know that if it happens once and works, he'll keep doing this. I need to protect my girls. I love working here, it's a great job and I don't want to lose that."

"Sonja, leave it with me," I said. "I'll make a couple of calls and hopefully have it all set up in a day or so. How are you supposed to get the codes to him?"

"He gave me a phone number."

"Okay, keep it for now. Now go to work and don't worry. This will end in our favour. Just let me make some arrangements." Sonja walked back to the front of the store as I picked up the phone. Fortunately the credit union manager, Fred, was into work early, and answered his personal line. I made an appointment to meet with him and one of his computer security people just after the branch opened. I then went online and got a printout of current monthly transactions and did some calculating. An idea was forming but I didn't know for sure if the Credit Union system could do what I was thinking. Their security people would know, and they'd have to set it up.

Just after ten, I walked into the Credit Union and up to the managers' office. His secretary told me to go right in since I was expected.

"Evan, come in. Sit down. Would you like a coffee? My security rep will be here in about ten minutes." He arranged for his secretary to get a couple of coffees then asked me what he could do for me. I explained to him what Sonja had related to me, and what I was thinking on how to set up a sting.

Just after ten-fifteen his secretary announced that the security person had arrived. When she walked into the office, I was shocked. "Frances...?"

"Evan? What are you doing here?"

"Evan, Frances," the manager asked, "do you two know each other."

Frances answered, "We were in the same computer program at university. I think I was tops in class and Evan was a close second." She turned to me, "What on earth are you doing here? After that, well, that happened I totally lost track of you."

"Frances, it's good to see a friendly face. It's okay, Mr. Fairburn knows about what happened. I finished my degree in prison, then moved here and set up shop. We've been doing fairly well for the last year or so."

"Look," she said, "we need to do lunch or something to catch up. But later. Mr. Fairburn really didn't go into detail, just that you needed to meet with him and me."

I again related the events of the morning then explained to her what I thought we could do to set up a sting that would nail the brother for once and all. Frances made some notes, checked a couple of things in her manual (on her company laptop).

"You sneaky bugger. You know, this will work. He'll never see it coming and he certainly won't see it going. This is going to be a hoot." Fran gave a fist pump then gave Fred and me a big smile. "Sure beats doing the old routine security stuff. What timeline do we have?"

"I'd like to get it all done as soon as possible so the interruption at the shop won't be too big," I replied. "What do you think about having it all over by Friday?"

"A little tight, but I think we can get it done. Here's what I need you to do right now..." She went on to explain about setting up a dummy account and making it look like the company's operating account. If all went well, it would only be in use for just over a week. We got the account set up, obtained the online access code and got started. I told Fran that I could do the day to day stuff from my office so it would look like a legitimate account. She agreed that that was probably the best way to do it.

It was time for me to get back to the shop. "Fred, thanks for everything. I'll treat you and your wife to dinner when all this is over. Fran, how can I thank you? I'd really like to catch up sometime when you're back in this area."

"Evan, I'd love to get caught up. As you can see, I'm married." She flashed a huge diamond alongside her wedding ring. "We have a couple of great kids. Mark, my husband, works for the government. All hush hush and all that. I'd like for him to meet you. Look, do you have time for a quick coffee? I'd like to ask you a bit about what happened. All I know is up to the trial."

"Why don't you walk back to the shop with me? There's a great coffee shop next door to it, and I get a discount," I said as I stood to leave the office.

"Lead on," Frances said as she took my arm. "This should get a few tongues wagging." We got outside the Credit Union and started down the street towards my shop about four blocks away. "So, what happened? Last I heard you were in prison. I thought you were sentenced to about 10 years?"

"No, the crown wanted 10 but I ended up with 7. I served the full seven and was released. I've got about another two years left on parole. Long story short, after I got out I moved here, got some seed money that was still on deposit in the Credit Union, found a store front and went into business. So far we're doing pretty well."

We talked some more over coffee then Frances had to go. "Evan, please keep in touch. Here's my card. My personal email and cell are on the back. I'm really glad to see you doing well. You were one of the good guys and didn't deserve all the shit that got dumped on you." She gave me a brief hug and was gone, walking back to the Credit Union.

The week dragged by. It's funny how time stands still when you want it to fly. Sonja made the bank deposit on Friday, as usual. She didn't mention if she had met with her brother, and I didn't ask. We'd know this weekend in any event.

* * * *

Jimmy Johnson was in heaven. His stupid sister had bought the line that it was a onetime thing. Now he had the banking codes, he could bleed the company. He figured he was smart; he'd do small amounts that would take some time to get noticed. It should be good for around a hundred grand, maybe even more. He wondered how many times he could go to the well before she got cold feet.