The Accountant's Wife

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Andyhm
Andyhm
2,056 Followers

It was a good couple of minutes later before the door cracked open. A woman I didn't know eased out of the opening and gave me a studied look.

"You say you're Rebecca's husband," she said as she looked at her iPad. "Can you prove it?"

I gave her a surprised look, "Of course I am, who the hell are you?" I fumbled in my pocket and passed her my passport.

"Check the name and my emergency contact," I told her.

She did and compared my name against a list visible on the iPad. Then gave me a confused look. "I'm Mia, the event planner," she said. "I've been coordinating this party for your wife, only I was under the impression..." her voice trailed off.

She gave me another look, "I think I need to check this," she said.

I was getting annoyed, I pointed at the iPad in her hand and snapped, "Am I on that list?"

"A Michael James is on it," she agreed.

I pointed at the passport in her other hand. "And am I Michael James?"

She gave me my passport back and looked at me for a long moment. Then she said, "It seems you are." She turned to the doorman, "You can let him in Pete; he is who he says he is, and he's on the invite list."

Mia held the door open for me, and I entered the lobby, pulling my carry-on bag behind me. I heard her mutter to Pete, "This could get interesting." I couldn't make out his reply. What was going on, why could it get interesting I wondered.

"Do you want to tell me what's going on," I asked. "Why all the security for a little office Christmas party? There's never been any for any of the previous parties?"

She laughed at me. "Well, there's never been a guest list like this one before."

What? Why? This is just supposed to be for the staff for Christ sake. Although it's the first time they've taken over a restaurant, I thought.

Mia took a second look at me, "Are you sure you don't know what's going on? This party's not just for the staff. There's a lot of important clients here as well."

Now it was my turn to look stunned, "Clients!" Then I took in the lobby, empty except for a second security guard and a woman sitting at a reception desk. The sound of music came from behind the closed double doors at the far side of the room.

"Yes, Rebecca, sorry Mrs. James, contacted us a couple of weeks ago to organize this after her father insisted she invite a select group of the firm's clients. My brother is one of the firm's associates, and he recommended my company to organize everything."

Rebecca sure as hell hadn't mentioned anything about adding clients to the guest list. In fact, she'd not mentioned anything. I had to wonder how long she'd known about the changes to the party and what else she hadn't told me. I shrugged off my coat, and Mia asked the woman at the desk to look after it and my bag.

"At least you're wearing a suit," she muttered.

I gave her an irritated look, resisting the 'fuck you' that pressed at my lips. Did she think I was some country bumpkin?

The main room of the restaurant had been given the fantasy Christmas decoration, once over. A large Christmas tree dominated the room. A dozen or so large indoor palms had twinkling fairy lights wound around their trunks. The majority of the tables had been moved to one side of the room, leaving a space for the couples dancing in front of a low stage. There was a live group playing, that was the source of the music I'd been hearing. Obviously, the dinner was over as the tables held only the remnants of a meal. Empty dessert plates, coffee cups, bottles of wine and glasses were scattered about.

As I glanced around the room, I was able to recognize several of Rebecca's high profile clients from the newspapers. Rebecca was usually fairly reticent about naming the firm's clients, so I was quite surprised to see who some were. Then I spotted an unwelcome face, that of Roger Donaldson. With a sinking feeling, I thought that if he was here, then there was a good chance that Marcus was as well. Was that why Rebecca hadn't mentioned the additions to the guest list, she was here with him!

My eyes went on overtime as I scanned the dimly lit room. There was no sign of Marcus, but far more worryingly, nor could I see Rebecca. I spotted her father at a table and hurried over.

He gave me a shocked look when he saw me. "What are you doing here? I thought you were in Rome, Michael!" He didn't sound pleased to see me, and that irritated me.

"And it's nice to see you, too," I responded sarcastically.

He blinked at me, "Rebecca was sure you wouldn't be here," he said in his defense.

"Well if you hadn't changed the date it wouldn't have been an issue," I replied. "I didn't think I would be here, but I managed to finish my trip sooner than I'd thought. I got back a couple of hours ago. I left a message with Bec's assistant that I'd be here, didn't she let you know? I'd have been here a couple of hours ago if it hadn't been for the bloody French air traffic controllers."

I looked around. "Have you seen Rebecca; she's not answering her phone?"

"She was around a few minute ago, she and Marcus were talking."

Crap, the last thing I wanted to hear. I tried calling her phone, and again it went to voice mail.

"Don't worry, she's fine," Conrad said, but there was something about the way his eyes flicked around the room as he spoke that made me nervous. "Sit down, Mike and have a drink. Have you eaten; I can see if they can rustle something up for you." He placed a hand on my arm and tried to pull me down to a seat beside him.

There was a lull in the music, and from the other side of Conrad, I heard Roger say to him. "What the hell is he doing here, you said he wouldn't be here."

Conrad glanced at him and then said to me, "Sit down for God's sake; she'll be somewhere close. If she hasn't turned up in a few minutes, I'll send one of the juniors to find her."

He gestured in Mia's direction, and she came over. "Have you seen my daughter?" he asked her

She shook her head, "Sorry no, not recently; I know that she's around." she replied, but her eyes never left mine as she spoke.

Conrad said, "Could you see if you can find her. Please let her know her husband is here."

She gave him a worried look and agreed.

Why was I getting the strong impression he didn't want me wandering around the room looking for her. Well fuck him I thought, and I turned back to my scrutiny of the large room.

I saw Mia stop a waitress and speak to her. The girl hesitated and then gestured towards the far side of the room. Mia hurried across the room and disappearing behind a pair of large potted palms that I recalled shielded the entrance to one of the private dining rooms. I guessed she thought she knew where Rebecca was. I followed, but then I paused when I reached the plants. If she wasn't with Marcus and was in a legitimate conversation with another of the firm's clients and I went in heavy-handed, it would be embarrassing for both of us. I heard voices and listened.

The first was Mia, "Rebecca, can I have a word with you in private."

"Can't you see I'm a bit busy, isn't it something you deal with it?" Rebecca said.

"It's urgent; your father sent me to get you," Mia stressed.

The urgency in Mia's voice must have convinced her because she said. "Marcus, can you be a darling and see if you can find me a drink? Tell you what see if you can find a bottle of champagne. I'm in the mood for some bubbles." I heard Marcus reply, but I couldn't make out all of his words. I did hear the last sentence as he left, and I felt my face redden in anger.

"Okay, but I want a kiss and another of those dances when I get back." There was a sound of a giggle, and I saw a figure exit the room.

"So, what's so urgent?" Rebecca said a moment later.

"Rebecca, what's going on?" Mia asked. "I thought the guy you just sent away was your husband, at least he sure acts like he is, but he isn't is he?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but no he's just a good friend. Why all the fuss, why is my father looking for me? He knows I'm with Marcus."

How long had he been a good friend of Rebecca's? The implication of that statement sent a cold shiver down my spine, and it sounded it was worse than that. I'd obviously gotten complacent these last couple of months.

"It's not my business," she agreed. "Only he's not your husband is he? Your real husband is here. He's just arrived, and he's one very pissed off camper. You forgot to tell him he needed an invite. Security wouldn't let him in."

"Fuck, Mike can't be here, he's supposed to be in Rome. Is he still outside?

"No, his name is on the guest list, and he showed identification, so I had to let him in."

"He wouldn't have known he needed an invite. If he'd been here, he'd have arrived with me so he wouldn't have needed one. Are you sure it's him? Oh crap, Mike's going to be so pissed at me if he finds out Marcus is here; he can't stand him."

"It's him; Pete said he was trying to call you while he was waiting outside."

I was frozen to the spot, I wanted to go and confront her, but I couldn't get my legs to cooperate. I also thought I'd get a better idea of how far their relationship had gone without the expected evasions I anticipated when I confronted them. There was a brief pause from their side of the plants; then I heard the snap of a bag opening.

Rebecca hissed, "Oh crap, I left it on silent. There are several missed calls from him. Shit, shit, and I didn't read the message she left for me, he was on a flight this afternoon."

"Oh, well he's sure as hell surprised to find out that this isn't a cozy little office party, and your father has told him that you are with Marcus."

"Why would he do that? Shit, Mike was on a trip when Dad started inviting the clients," came Rebecca's anxious voice. "With everything that's been going on, I forgot to tell him. Then there was no way I was going to tell him that Marcus was one of the guests after I found out he couldn't make it."

My anxiety increased at the next voice I heard.

"Darling, I managed to liberate a bottle," said Marcus. " I only brought two glasses, let's find somewhere quiet to drink this excellent bottle. Then I want that kiss and dance you promised me."

That was it; I'd had enough of this bullshit. I moved around the plants and into the doorway so that they could see me. Marcus was in the process of sliding his arm around Rebecca's waist, and she was pushing it away. She blanched and gasped. A bit of an overreaction I thought, as she'd just been told I was here.

She was wearing a dress I'd never seen before, a dark blue knit, figure-hugging version of the classic little black dress. A shorter dress than she usually wore, with a plunging neckline, the hem not reaching mid-thigh. Her legs were clad in shimmery black tights or were they stockings, I couldn't tell. A sexy, sensual outfit, one she obviously wasn't wearing for my benefit. Marcus quickly stepped away from her, placing Mia between us.

"That's just fine," I said through gritted teeth. "Bec's darling and I will only need the two glasses. It looks like we have a lot to talk about so now fuck off home, Marcus, and leave the bottle. I don't want to see you near my wife ever again. You are going to need to find someone else to keep you out of jail as she is off your case."

I stepped towards him, and he flinched back. Marcus stepped back even further at the anger in my voice. Rebecca gave me a scared look. Mia touched a finger to her ear and said, "Security I..."

I pulled Mia's hand down. "That better be you calling security to kick this asshole out," I told her. "Anything else and I'll make your life a misery."

Marcus blustered and said, "I'm an invited guest here, it's not my fault if your wife finds my company more interesting than yours."

"Fuck you," I spat, and caught his arm. "I'll throw you out myself."

"No, you won't," came Conrad's voice from behind me. "If anyone's leaving it'll be you. I'm the host, and I won't have you upsetting my guests."

I spun around to face him. "Guests are supposed to behave themselves. So are you condoning the fact that this asshole has apparently spent the entire evening trying and seemingly succeeding to seduce my wife, your daughter?"

"Don't be daft, Marcus would never do that."

"Yah right," and I pointed at Mia, "even she thought that asshole was your daughter's lover by the way he was acting around her."

"Nooo," Rebecca cried. "He was just friendly; he's not my lover."

Conrad spoke at the same time, "Nonsense, your heard my daughter. I'm sorry, Michael, but if you are going to make baseless accusations, you need leave and take some time to cool down. I won't have you making a scene. I've got too many important guests here."

Rebecca was shaking, and Mia was supporting her. To one side of them, Marcus stood smirking at me. That was like a red rag to a bull. I made a move in his direction, then thought better of it. I turned back to Conrad.

"Conrad," I said through gritted teeth. "If you put your business and this asshole before my family and me then you are no longer welcome in my life."

Rebecca whimpered, and I said to her, "I have no idea if this is some fucking game you and father are playing, but I won't be part of it. I warned you about this cunt and his womanizing, but it seems you know better than me and my friends."

She stepped towards me, and both Conrad and Marcus put out hands to stop her. I stepped forward and took hold of her arms to keep her at arm's length. I wanted to hug her but I couldn't.

She spoke softly but earnestly in my ear, "Mike, I love you, nothing happened nor was it going to, it was just something I needed to do for the firm, but I can't just get up and leave right now; I'm the host."

"Don't compound your mistake," I snarled, "you're not the host. You heard your father, he is! You have two choices, and only one of them is acceptable to me. Leave with me now, as apparently, I'm not welcome here. Or stay, and if you do, don't bother to come home!"

She clutched at my arm to prevent me leaving. "Mike, please, I need a while to sort this out, I beg you, don't make this any worse than it is." She fumbled in the clutch bag she held and handed me a room key. "Look, there's a room booked at the Park Tower hotel in my name; it's just down the road. I need you to wait there for me there while I deal with this."

The implication she had a room nearby sent a chill through me. My voice was harsh with barely constrained rage. "Why the fuck do you have a room for tonight? Was it for you and him?"

"No, nothing like that, Dad booked it for me in case it got too late, and I didn't want to go home. We always book a few rooms as a precaution, Christ, Mike surely you remember we used one of them last year."

I ignored her words and dropped the key card on the floor. "I'm going home; there's no way I'm going to spend the night in a room intended for your lover. I'm getting a cab and going home. Then I'm going to take my children and go away for a few days and decide what I do next. It's your choice, come with me now or stay, if you're not outside in five minutes, I'll know exactly where I stand."

She moaned, "No, please don't go."

"You've got as long as it takes me to get a cab," I told her. I stepped away from her clutching arms, straight into Conrad.

He pushed his finger into my chest as he snapped, "Where the fuck do you get off, don't think you can threaten my family or me."

What the hell was going on with him, I'd always thought that we'd had an okay Father in law, Son in law relationship. We'd never been best friends, but we had gotten on well enough.

"I don't make threats," I said. "If you are willing to risk your daughter's marriage just so you can appease clients, you no longer have a place in my family. You and Pam are the only ones who are going to suffer as I'm damned if I'll let you see your grandchildren."

Conrad laughed, "I'll see that you won't have a family, I'll get the courts to declare you an unfit parent and get my grandchildren taken away from you."

My stomach lurched and I looked at Rebecca whose face was white. Conrad glanced over to where Marcus was standing; I followed his gaze. Roger stood beside Marcus, and when he saw Conrad was looking at him, he gave a brief shake of his head.

Conrad's lips tightened, and I heard him tell Mia to get security. Then he said to Rebecca. "Don't worry; I'll have someone at your home in the hour. He's not taking my grandchildren away from us."

I stepped close and whispered to him, "Remember what I do, it's even easier for me to destroy a company than it is to save it."

He gasped and for a moment looked scared. Then his eyes fixed on Roger, and he seemed to draw resolve from that look.

"I don't have a choice, it's either you or I, and my daughter knows her place."

"Fuck you!" I left not looking behind me. If she wasn't following me out than I knew where I stood. The whole situation was bizarre and heading out of control.

"My bag and coat," I snapped at the woman at the reception desk. As I waited for her to retrieve them the door behind me opened. I turned hoping that it was Rebecca. No such luck, Marcus stood there with a broad grin plastered across his face.

"You need to accept you've lost this time, Mr. Accountant. She and her father know I'm a better choice for her."

I snarled and stepped towards him, my fists clenched. I was brought up short by Pete's large hand on my shoulder."

"Sorry sir, I have my orders. I'm afraid you need to leave," he said. "And you," he pointed at Marcus who'd stepped back and was standing in the open doorway. "You need to get your ass back in the restaurant before I lose my temper. I don't like pieces of work like you."

The receptionist coughed to attract our attention and pointed at my bag and coat on the counter. Collecting them, I pushed my way through the doors and into the cold, dank chill of a December night. Pete watched me closely as I waved down a cab. I hoped that the door behind me would open and Rebecca would hurry out after me.

A black cab pulled up at the curbside. Once seated comfortably in the back, I passed the driver a £50 note. "I need to go to the south coast mate," I said. "It's a small village a few miles outside of Brighton. 'This is your tip; I just need you to wait five minutes before we leave." He grunted his agreement.

Pulling out my phone, I called Karen, praying that she was home and not travelling. My prayers were answered. "I need you to do something for me," I told her, the urgency in my voice forestalling any complaints from her.

"I know it's late, but I need you to go to my place. Get the children, pack a bag each for them and take them back to your place. You need to do it now." I stressed.

"But..."

"Karen, please just do it, I'll explain why when I see you. I'll try and call you later, and under no circumstances are you to speak to Conrad." Christ, I hope I wasn't over reacting. There had been something about Conrad's threat that rang true. I wasn't going to give up my children without a fight, even if it looked like Rebecca had given up on our marriage.

"Okay I'm going, but I want an explanation when I see you," she said and put her phone down.

I sat in silence until the driver said, "It's been more than five minutes mate, how much longer do you want me to wait?"

I looked at the closed door behind Peter's menacing shadow for a moment longer, willing it to open. I sighed and wiped away a tear that was beginning to blur my vision.

"Let's go; she's made her decision," I said sadly.

He grunted in return and pulled away from the kerb. I sank back into the seat and stared aimlessly out of the window at the dark shop fronts as they passed by. He slowed down as he approached a red light a little way up the street and glanced in his mirrors. He turned his head in my direction.

Andyhm
Andyhm
2,056 Followers
1...45678...10