The Alphabet of Love Ch. 21

Story Info
Shiloh meets with Trevor, and Derek fucks her in a new way.
3.6k words
4.59
4k
00

Part 21 of the 24 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/16/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Kyle Banks for President rally had attracted a reasonable crowd for a Friday afternoon, I thought. The parking lot looked full when the taxi pulled in to drop me off; people were still entering the auditorium though it was nearly two. Mountains of snow had been plowed out to accommodate parking. I'd texted Trevor and he told me to just come in for the rally and let me know where I was, and he'd find me when it was over. That would be good cover, I realized. His wife would be busy with media, probably, as would his father. Voters would have questions, there would be film crews from local and national news. I'd seen the trucks at the rear of the parking lot.

I went into the auditorium behind a young college couple who politely held the door for me. I'd dressed casually this morning in khakis and a warm sweater, and my warm coat. I knew I'd need it here in the wintry Midwest. Inside, it was toasty and the place was packed. I shuffled to a spot along the back wall, and adjusted my eyes to the indoor lighting.

Kyle Banks was at the podium speaking. Every now and then a sign bobbing from the crowd in front obstructed my view of him. The auditorium was small enough that I had a pretty good view, even of the people onstage behind him seated in folding metal chairs. I picked out Trevor right away; he was the only blond god in the vicinity. The woman next to him had to be his wife. Dark, shoulder-length hair, her head bent over something in her lap. Oh, it was an iPad or tablet. On the other side of Trevor another woman, probably Mrs. Banks.

Periodically the crowd interrupted Governor Banks to applaud something he said. He was running as a Democrat even though he'd been an independent as Governor of Idaho. He undoubtedly needed the party's organization and money to do this. I tuned in to what he was saying and realized the man had a real charm about him, and made sense. He'd been, what, a trial attorney, as I recalled. No doubt he'd been very persuasive during his closing arguments. I'd have to read more about his positions. I might vote for him even after I gave Trevor the old dumperoo.

Yeah, that. I'd yet to think up just what I was going to say to him. He already knew I'd been seeing Derek seriously so it should come as no surprise. I hoped he wouldn't plead with me or beg me to wait for him. Because I wasn't sure if I could say no. And if I couldn't say no, then I had a really seriously huge problem.

When I sensed that Governor Banks was wrapping up his remarks, I texted Trevor and told him where I was standing. I saw him look at his phone then up, searching for me. I had to resist the urge to wave. He texted me back that he knew where I was and for me to just go outside with the crowd and wait for me alongside the building, and he'd find me.

A few minutes later, I did as he instructed. Most people exited; those who stayed in were the diehard supporters, hoping to get a word with the Governor, take photos, or listen in on the media's reporting. I stood against the brick wall of the auditorium, tapping on my phone as if I were busy. People milled around me, some returned to campus, some to cars in the parking lot.

"Hey," I heard his voice and looked up.

Better looking than ever. He wore dress slacks and a suit jacket and tie but no coat. It was probably thirty degrees.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked him.

"No, let's walk," he said, taking my elbow and steering me down the sidewalk. I heard his teeth chattering.

"Can we go in somewhere?"

"It's okay, if we walk I'll be fine," he said, digging his hand into the warmth of my coat. "So you came. I wasn't sure you would."

"Your Dad's very charismatic," I said.

He nodded. "He's good at this, no doubt about it. It's a crazy life, though. I wake up in the morning and don't know where I am."

"Listen, Trevor," I wanted to get right to it, not only so he wouldn't get his hopes up, but also because he was so cold. "I only came to see you so I could tell you something."

We arrived at the student union building, and he held open the door for me. This was perfect, I thought. We could sit and talk and he wouldn't turn into an iceberg. I led us to a cluster of chairs and we sat across from each other.

"What's up?" he asked me, holding my hands in his, looking into my eyes.

I nearly lost my resolve, but I thought of Derek, and how he would do the same thing sometimes. "I'm marrying Derek," I said.

He continued to look at me but his mouth had opened a little. Finally he turned away, let go of my hands, and sat back in the chair. "I see."

"I love him," I said weakly. "I'm going to move to Boston and join his clinic . . . " suddenly I realized I didn't have to explain anything to him.

He nodded, gazing out the window. "I can't blame you. I can't offer you anything right now. " He shook his head and I thought I saw a tear in his eye.

"I'm sorry," I said because I didn't know what else to say.

"Amanda's been such a bitch," he said, finally looking at me again. "When she's not criticizing everything my Dad does, she's on me about doing this or that, and why didn't I anticipate something? I've been called useless more times than I can count."

I bit my lip and let him vent.

"I'd love to walk away right now and take you back to Seattle."

Then why don't you? I asked myself.

"But I can't ruin this for my Dad."

Ah.

He took one of my hands again. "Are you sure there's nothing I can say to make you postpone getting married? Until I'm free? Then you can choose between us."

"No," I shook my head. "I couldn't do that to Derek." Mainly because he'd probably tell me to go fuck myself. If I made him wait to marry me, then it was obvious that I wanted to be with Trevor. Because if I wanted to be with Derek, I'd marry him now. Which is what I was going to do.

"I get it," he sighed. "He's a lucky man. I hope he knows what he has."

"Thank you," I smiled.

"I guess this means we're not going to a hotel," he said sadly.

"No, we're not," I confirmed. "Besides, how would you explain that?"

He waved his hand. "She probably wouldn't even miss me."

"I doubt that. I'm sorry things are so bad for you. Can you talk to your Dad?"

"Sure," he nodded, "but he doesn't need to deal with my drama. He's got enough going on."

"I suppose."

I heard a noise, and he reached into his inside pocket for his phone. He wrinkled his nose and put it back. "The bitch wants to know where in the fuck I am, and I quote."

"You'd better get back there."

"Yeah," he ran a hand through his hair. "Come on, let's find a private place where I can at least kiss you."

I agreed, and we went back outside. In the shadowy corner of a building, we kissed a few times. He tasted good, he smelled good. The feel of his warm skin against me made me yearn to him.

"I guess this is goodbye," he said, backing away from me.

"You can still text me every now and then," I said. Whoops. I'd told Derek it would be over after today.

He nodded. "All right. Goodbye, Shiloh."

"Goodbye, Trevor."

I beat Derek to the hotel in Des Moines. In our room, I changed my clothes and went down to the bar for a drink, texting him to meet me there when he arrived. I wore a black and white patterned cocktail dress with dressy pumps, earning me a few appreciative looks as I eased onto a barstool.

"Manhattan," I told the bartender. When it arrived, I downed it rather quickly. I'd better slow down. There would be more drinking at the reception tonight before dinner.

"Ah, here you are," I heard his voice behind me, and when I spun the barstool to face him, he took my face in his hands and kissed me. I held his hands for a moment before I let him go.

He sat beside me, looking me up and down. "You look beautiful, Shiloh."

"Thanks," I nodded. "I want to look nice for the reception and dinner."

"Mind if I run up and change? I've been in these clothes since this morning."

"Oh, of course," I said.

"Have another drink," he winked at me, and was gone.

So I ordered a second Manhattan, but nursed it until he returned about half an hour later. He'd put on a suit and tie, and looked dashingly handsome.

"So how did it go with Trevor?" he asked me after the bartender had served him a bourbon straight up.

"I only saw him for a few minutes. I told him we were getting married, and that was about it."

"How did he take it?"

I shrugged. "He's so involved in the campaign he can't do anything about it."

"Like leave his wife."

"Right."

He sipped his drink, eyeing me. "What if he called you tonight and told you he'd left her and wanted to be with you?"

"Derek, that isn't going to happen," I said, but felt myself tensing up.

"Go with it. What would you do?"

"I'd marry you," I said with no hesitation. But was it because I meant it, or because I knew it was what he wanted to hear?

"No regrets?"

"Of course not."

He took a breath and lowered his voice. "You know I love you and want to trust you. I have to be able to trust you."

"I'll never betray you," I told him. "That's why I told Trevor it was over. I want to be with you."

"All right," he seemed satisfied. "I'm trying not to be unreasonably jealous. I just have to know."

"I know you do," I leaned close to him, letting my hair brush his face, and kissed the soft skin near his ear.

"I won't bring it up again," he said, nodding.

"Neither will I."

He sighed with relief. "Well, then. Seen anyone you know yet?" He glanced around the bar, but there were only half a dozen or so other people here.

"No," I answered.

"I saw Couslard checking in just now when I came back downstairs."

"Really?" my mouth went dry.

"It's all right," he smiled, seeing the look on my face.

"I know I don't work for him, or with him, anymore, but it was just awkward," I said, shaking my head. "I got the feeling he was angry with me."

"He's probably over it."

"I hope so," I said. "But I don't think I'll go to his presentation all the same."

He laughed. "We'll see him at the reception and dinner."

"I'll be civil," I promised.

I did run into doctors I'd met at previous conferences and conventions. Derek and I milled around separately at the reception, though he did introduce me to some of his research colleagues from other cities. A couple of them gave him a raised eyebrow when he said that we were engaged to be married. Perhaps they knew he was already married. I saw Dr. Couslard across the room and gave him a polite nod, but he made no move to speak to me. I proceeded to forget about him entirely.

Dinner bored me. A bland hunk of chicken with some flavorless sauce. I had another drink and tried to listen to the Midwest Nephrology Association President's introductory welcome. The usual drivel, how we were gathering to brainstorm for better treatments and outcomes for our patients, yada yada. I'd already begun to think about getting back to the hotel room and doing a sexy little striptease for Derek.

What kind of doctor was I? I felt ashamed. Glancing around the room, though, the glazed over eyes of others justified my boredom. Some even had their heads bent over their phones. Those of us who detested these sorts of schmoozefests had little patience. Derek had a knack for social situations like this, but he seemed just as happy doing his quiet work on medical research and writing papers. For him it all fit together: he researched and tested his theories and presented results to colleagues who 'got it.' I'd had a taste of this in my short time with Dr. Couslard, but had never got to the stage of parading my work to other doctors. That could be either very rewarding or very disheartening. I'd seen doctors rip into presenters at some conferences; calling into question their research or demanding more details. I'd thought to myself that such naysayers should be doing the work themselves if all they could do was second-guess those trying to improve our profession. I'd later understood that sometimes researchers get disconnected from normal practice with real patients, that the day-to-day living with renal failure needed to be addressed from a practical point and not merely a clinical one.

"Doctor Wiley of Boston," the speaker said, and I was alert again. "He'll present the results of his exciting work in the field of encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis treatment and management."

I touched Derek's arm and smiled; he nodded once at me and turned his head back to the podium. God, I felt stupid. I'd never even asked him what he was researching. Not only that, but my Aunt Rhonda, the woman singlehandedly responsible for my dogged determination to become a nephrologist, had died from complications of EPS. In most cases, EPS, though relatively rare, was a result of years of peritoneal dialysis. I'd seen its horrors up close and I had to admit, even after my medical training and seeing patients do well on PD treatment, I steered them to hemodialysis as long as it was feasible. I'd argued against the fear of needles that some patients expressed and in most cases they got over it once they began dialysis and started to feel better. There were those few, however, who hated me for convincing them to try hemo; I'd had one or two emotional encounters with patients for whom the whole needle thing was a full blown phobia that they were unable to get past.

I zoned out again, and thought of how perhaps it was destiny that I meet Derek, a doctor doing specific research on EPS. What were the chances? That EPS should be prominent in both our lives? Being with him might be my subconscious showing me the path to healing the loss of my aunt. I still missed her to this day. Before her health declined, she'd been vibrant, intelligent, always smiling. She'd treated me like her own daughter, as she had no children. I'd even lived with her for a time after my parents' divorce. She'd have approved heartily of my relationship with Derek. She always said I should find a man devoted to his work and to me.

Derek and I didn't stay long after dinner. We'd had a long day, and his presentation began at nine the next morning. Holding hands, we walked out of the banquet room and to the elevator, and then entered our hotel room. I started to unzip my dress when I felt his hands behind me. I let him do it; he began to softly kiss down my spine. He unhooked my bra and his hands came up under my breasts. I couldn't help sighing with pleasure.

"I'm so horny for you right now," he whispered in my ear.

"I'm still on my period," I told him, turning to face him.

He pulled my dress off over my head, then my bra. "I don't mind if you don't."

A little surprised, I nodded. "Okay. "

"In the shower," he said, and hurriedly started taking off his clothes.

I turned it on while he finished undressing, and we stepped in together. Something was different and it wasn't just the blood running into the drain at our feet. His urgency, his desire was more powerful than ever before. I told myself not to think about it, just enjoy it. Just enjoy it. We both climaxed quickly and clung to each other, heaving. This was a whole new dimension of Derek, I thought, and I liked it. He got out first, handed me a towel. I squeezed out my hair in it, then wrapped it around myself. He kissed me a few times, still with fervor.

"What was that?" I asked breathlessly.

"How was it?"

I nodded. "God, you've never been like that before."

"I've wanted to. You're so beautiful, Shiloh, I love you more than I've ever loved anyone in my life."

I stood there in shock, and happiness, and complete bewilderment.

"I didn't want to - scare you. I mean, I didn't know if you'd like it or not." He rubbed the towel across his hair and down his legs.

"Why did you decide to do it now?"

He shook his head. "I don't know. I just couldn't help myself. You started unzipping the dress and the way it fell over your hips - I was just overcome."

I kissed him, open-mouthed, for a long few moments. "I want you to be free to love me any way you want to. It was wonderful, Derek, amazing and hot. Fuck, it was hot."

"As hot as dry humping?" he smiled.

"Hotter."

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" he looked into my eyes, concerned.

"No, not at all," I assured him. "It felt - astonishing. Was it because I'm on my period?"

He shook his head. "I was horny before you told me. But that helped, I think."

I left the bathroom and put in a tampon and fresh panties while he watched me.

"That shouldn't turn me on, but it does," he said as he sat on the edge of the bed.

I laughed. "You can watch it every month. I might as well get something good out of the annoyance of it."

"Come on, let's go to bed. I want to hold you."

We snuggled close, spooning. I loved his warm breath on the nape of my neck, the feel of his body against mine.

"I have to confess," he said just as I started to fall asleep, "I think part of the reason I did it was to show you that you don't need anyone else."

"I don't need anyone else," I said.

"I know I said I wouldn't talk about it again. But I felt threatened. I'll admit it."

Part of me liked that he feared losing me to Trevor. If this was what happened when he felt like this, well, hmm.

"I love you," I said, squeezing his hand against my belly.

"I love you, my beautiful Shiloh. I can't wait to marry you. I need you with me."

"I need you, too," I said. And it was true. He not only gave me mindblowing sex, but his stability gave me a foundation I'd never had before. Sure I was a doctor. But part of me always had a niggling feeling that the bottom could drop out from under me at any time. I had no such fear when I was with him.

We slept.

He gave a masterful presentation the next morning. Dynamic and self-assured, he looked every inch the medical whiz in his tailored suit. I'd opted for a black pantsuit and ecru blouse. Everyone knew by now that we were an 'item,' and I determined to avoid any look that might label me a trollop or trophy girlfriend, despite the fact that I, too, was a doctor. Old stereotypes die hard, even among the highly educated.

Dr. Couslard sat across the room from me, and I saw him stealing looks at me every now and then. I sat up straight, confident. Derek's talk had my attention anyway; for its pertinence to my aunt and patients I'd had. Perhaps, I thought, I should let Dr. Bailey have her home hemo program, I could work with EPS patients. I wondered if anyone in the clinic specialized in that?

I made notes while he talked, points I wanted to discuss with him later. How refreshing, I thought, to be with a man I could share my profession with. I'd never dated a doctor other than him and, well, Trevor. My attempts at relationships had run the gamut from bodybuilders to auto mechanics to engineers . . . I'd heard and seen so many unhappy tales of romance gone wrong among doctors, nurses, and other medical personnel - so many affairs, so much lying, sneaking around, sex in empty offices or hospital rooms. I might have had a goodly number of lovers but I'd never brought my sexuality to work.

I guess I was making up for lost time.

In between sessions, while Derek fielded questions, I grabbed a coffee and checked my phone. A quick glance at the news showed me that the Kyle Banks campaign had moved to Dubuque, Iowa. Trevor was gone. In more ways than one.