The Angel

Story Info
Teenager deals with alcohol and loss.
3.2k words
4.38
9.2k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was two months after my mother was killed. She was my best friend and now she's gone. She was gone and I was so angry. I was so angry with God, but I was even more outraged at my father. He was behind the wheel and he killed her. I drove everybody away, even my girlfriend. I only went to school to escape my life at home.

I was walking down the hallway at school when I heard Tommy calling my name. I turned. "Hey, Tommy," I greeted.

"Hey, do you want to cut third and fourth and go find some action?" he asked me.

"Why not?"

My drinking began after a big argument with my father. I ran out of the house and that was the night that I met Tommy. He shared his whiskey and it really helped to calm me down. I've been drinking ever since. So, after lunch, Tommy and I, along with Tommy's girlfriend, Cheryl, went to my house and I took a couple of bottles of whiskey from my father's liquor cabinet. Then we headed to the junkyard. There was an old shack right outside of the junkyard that was our hideout when we had a sudden urge to cut school. We sat there and slowly drank the whiskey.

"So, what's with you and Cara?" Tommy asked me.

"I don't know," I replied. "She hasn't been around."

"How come?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Yes, you do," Cheryl said. "That," she said and pointed to the whiskey bottle in my hand, "is why she hasn't been around. The more you drink, the further away she goes. Haven't you noticed?"

"I guess."

My father wasn't home that evening when I got home. As I walked by his bedroom, I noticed my parent's wedding picture sitting on my father's dresser. I walked over to the dresser and gently picked up the picture. It was in a silver frame. My mother looked so beautiful, like an angel. She loved my father so much. No matter how bad he treated her, she still loved him. I could tell by the look in her eyes when she looked at him. She adored him and he killed her in every way possible.

"What are you doing in here?" My father's harsh voice made me jump and I dropped the picture and the glass shattered. He looked at the picture on the floor and then at me. In silence, he came toward me until his chest touched mine. He wrinkled his nose, like a dog.

"You've been drinking, haven't you?" he demanded.

"Yeah. So what?" I replied.

"So what? Do you realize…?" his voice trailed off. "Look what alcohol did to your mother! She's dead, Danny!"

"Yeah. No thanks to you!"

"Why are you doing this, Danny?" he asked.

"It's the only way, Dad," I replied. "It's all I can do to make the pain stop!"

"It's not the only way, Danny," he insisted. "You could see somebody."

"See a shrink? No way! I'm not going to end up like you!"

His hand swung around and hit me so fast that I didn't realize it until I was on the floor, my hand caressing my already swollen cheek. I looked into my father's very wide eyes.

"Danny," he said. "I'm sorry. I…"

I jumped up and ran out the door. I ran to our hideout behind the junkyard and I stayed there all night. The next morning, I talked an old man into buying me a bottle of tequila from the local liquor store. I thanked him and went back to the junkyard. I drank it and then consumed the worm. I was trashed and soon passed out on the floor of the old shack.

I awoke to someone shaking me. I opened my eyes. Cara! I sat up. "Cara!" I cried. "Cara, is that you?"

"Yes, Danny," she replied. "I'm here."

"Oh, Cara!" I cried, throwing my arms around her and pulling her close to me. "It's really you. I've missed you so much. But…why are you here? Cheryl said you didn't care anymore."

"I didn't," she said. "I didn't care. I hated you. I hate the alcohol. I didn't want anything to do with you."

"Why the change of mind?" I asked.

"More of a change of heart," she corrected. "I love you, Danny, way to much to stand back and watch you ruin your life." She picked up the empty tequila bottle. "This will kill you, Danny. Look at what it did to your mother."

"I know what it did, Cara," I said. "She's dead."

"Is that where you want to end up?" she asked.

"I don't care," I said.

"You don't mean that, Danny," she said. "Why are you doing this to yourself?"

"Like I told my father, Cara, it's the only way that I can stop the pain. I can't let her go. I can only forget that she's gone."

"You can get help, Danny," she said. "Talk to somebody."

"Cara, I can't."

She sighed and stood up. "I love you, Danny. I really do. But I can't help you if you won't let me. If you need me, you know how to find me. Good-bye, Danny."

She turned and walked away and I burst into tears. I lay down on the floor of the shack and I cried for hours. I cried until there were no more tears left to cry. I went home later that day. My father was passed out on the couch. I went to the liquor cabinet and took a bottle of scotch. I went to my bedroom and drank every last drop. Soon, I passed out, too.

A few weeks later, Tommy and I were our way home from a party. Tommy was driving. We were both drinking, but I had more than he did, so we decided to let him drive. We were almost home when Tommy lost control of the car and everything turned into night.

I woke up to the brightest to the brightest light I had ever seen. I had to squint my eyes because it was so bright. Someone was standing over me.

"God?" I said, my heart racing.

She laughed. "No." Her voice was soft. "I'm Grace. I'm an angel."

"Am I dead?"

"No," she said, with a laugh. "Not for many, many years."

"Why are you here?"

"To help you help yourself," she replied.

"God sent me an angel?"

She nodded. "Yes. God loves you, Danny, but he hates what you are doing to yourself."

"What I'm doing," I said, "is trying to forget."

"No, Danny. You are killing yourself, inch by inch, just like your father did," she said.

"My father?" I said. "He's dead?"

She nodded. "I'm afraid so. He drank himself to death."

"He killed my mother," I said.

"Not intentionally," she said. "He loved her, in his own way. His heart shattered when your mother died, but now they are together and they're happy. Your mother wants you to be happy. She wants your life to be better than her own."

"She told you that?"

"Yes."

I sighed. "Why does God even care?" I asked. "After everything I've done, I should be in hell."

"No!" she cried. "No, Danny. Never, ever, say that. You are his child and he loves you. He'll forgive you, but you must want his forgiveness. Ask him, Danny."

"I don't know if I can," I said, tears running down my cheeks. "What does he want from me?"

"He wants you to be happy and the alcohol won't help. You have to stop."

"But I can't," I said. "I just can't."

"You can, Danny. You can," she insisted.

Then she was gone. I lay there for a long moment. I looked up at the stars. The sky was full of them tonight.

"God," I said and cleared my throat. "God, I'm sorry. When my mother died, I didn't know if I could go on without her. She was my life and I blamed her death on my father. Alcohol was the only thing I had to turn to, until now. Please, forgive me."

I heard sirens approaching. I rested my head on the ground and I closed my eyes. When I woke up, I was in the hospital. My left arm was bandaged. I was sore everywhere. A nurse walked in and smiled when she saw that I was awake.

"You're awake," she said. "How do you feel?"

"Like hell," I replied.

"It can't be that bad," she said.

I looked at her face and froze. "Grace?"

She looked at me. "What?"

"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

"I don't think so. I'd remember such a cute face."

Suddenly, I realized that I felt different. Something inside me was gone. The craving was gone. The craving that made me want the alcohol was gone. And the dark cloud that followed me constantly was gone. My body felt…new, I guess.

I little while later, Cheryl stopped by, along with Cara. "Hi, Danny," Cheryl said. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm so sorry, Cheryl, about Tommy. He was my best friend and I know how much you loved him."

"I'm sorry, too," she said. She put a vase full of flowers on the table and looked at Cara. "Well, I'll go and give you two some time alone. I'll see you around?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

Cheryl left and an awkward silence filled the room for a moment. Then Cara spoke. "So, how are you?"

"Better, Cara," I said. "So much better. I think…I think the accident woke me up. It's like I've been asleep all this time and I was awakened. I saw the light, I guess you could say."

She was staring. Tears ran down her cheeks. I reached out and took her hand into mine. I gently pulled her down to me and I held her while she cried.

"Thank God," she whispered. "What if I'd lost you, Danny?" she sobbed. "What if it were you instead of Tommy? I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You won't have to find out, Cara," I promised. "It's over, Cara," I said. "The alcohol. It's over. I'm finished I'll never touch another drop."

"How can you be sure, Danny?" she asked me.

"I'm positive," I promised.

"Good."

I've been sober for nearly a year now. My life with Cara is wonderful. I always said that I'd never believe until I saw Him. Now…I believe. I believe with all my heart that miracles can happen. Anytime. Anywhere.

"Andrew!" a female voice called. "Andrew!" I turned and there was Samantha, running to catch up to me.

"Hey, Samantha," I greeted. "What are you up to?"

"Not much. You?"

"On my way home."

"Can I ask a favor?"

"Sure."

"Finals are coming up and I was wondering if you'd help me study for my geometry final? It'll be a miracle if I pass it."

"Miracles so happen, you know?"

"I know, but can you help?"

I smiled. "Sure. My house tonight?"

"Sure. Thank you, Andrew."

So that night, Samantha and I sat on the couch in the family room, listening to country music on the radio and going over her geometry notes. For some reason, she seemed so much more beautiful than she ever did. It was strange. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. She looked at me. Our eyes locked. We stared for the longest moment and then, as if it had a mind of its own, my hand reached out and caressed her cheek. Her skin was so soft, nearly taking my breath away.

"Andrew, we should really be studying," she said, gently.

"I know," I said. "I just can't help myself. You are so beautiful."

There were no other words spoken when I leaned forward and pressed my lips to hers. It was so soft and I wasn't sure if it had actually happened. When the kiss ended, I looked into her eyes and I saw something there that I had never seen before. There was a spark in her eyes. The sight made my heart pound with happiness, because I knew what it meant. I kissed her again and soon I found myself wanting her more than I had ever wanted anything in my life. My lips left hers and kissed her neck. She moaned. When my hand found her breast, she gasped and pulled away.

"I'm sorry, Samantha," I apologized. "I moved too quick."

"No, it wasn't that," she promised. "You just…shocked me."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," she cut me off. She took my hand and placed it on her breast. Then she placed her hand on my cheek and stared into my eyes. "Make love to me, Andrew," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

I stared into her eyes and I could tell that she was serious. I kissed her and she slowly pushed me backward until I was lying on my back. She threw one leg over me and sat on top of me. She kissed me and then she moved down my chest, peeling my shirt away as she went. We heard Devon's truck pull up in the driveway and I quickly swept her into my arms and hurried to my bedroom, locking the door behind us. I quickly pulled her into my arms and kissed her. My lips slowly moved over her body, not wanting to miss an inch of her. We were both beyond ready when we finally became one. She cried out and dug her fingernails into my back, but I never complained. Several times, I found myself holding my breath. It was that intense. When it was finally over we laid there, in silence, for an awful long time, waiting for our hearts to slow. I slid off of her and lay beside her. I took her hand into mine and kissed the top of it.

"Are you all right?" I asked her. "Did I hurt you?"

She looked at me, her eyes heavy with exhaustion, and brought her had to my face. "No," she said. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I love you, Andrew. So much."

I smiled. "I love you, too, Samantha."

I rested my head on her chest and soon we were asleep. When I woke up the next morning, I had almost forgotten the night before until I saw Samantha lying beside me. I couldn't help, but smile. She was so beautiful. It was like a dream, seeing her beside me. It was like she was too beautiful to be with me, you know? That was the moment that I knew I was in love. I loved this beautiful woman lying beside me. I rose and pulled on my jeans. I went across the hall to the bathroom. On the way back, I ran into Devon in the hallway. He was my oldest brother. Chris came after him. He only stared at me and then went on into the family room. Chris came out of his bedroom a moment later. He looked at me for a moment. Then he came closer and sniffed at me like a dog.


He looked at me and grinned. "Vanilla," he concluded. "Who's the girl, Andy?" He was the only person that called me Andy. I hesitated. "Andy?"

I looked into his eyes. "Samantha," I said.

His eyes widened. "Our Samantha?" I nodded. He laughed all the way into the family room.

I shook my head and went back into my bedroom. I stood at the foot of the bed and watched her sleep. Then I climbed into the bed beside her, gently, so I wouldn't wake her. My eyes traveled over her small body. Every inch of her was perfect. Pure beauty. When I moved my fingers over her stomach and between her legs, she stirred.

"Andrew," she whispered.

She didn't open her eyes. I slipped one finger inside and she arched her back and cried out. Our lovemaking was different this time. Intense. Later, with her in my arms, I fell asleep. We woke up in each other's arms. It was perfect. Never was waking up so wonderful.

"You know what?" I said.

"What?" she said.

"I'm hungry."

She laughed. "I guess you would be," she said. "Worked up an appetite, huh?"

"Oh, yeah," I replied and kissed her. We rose and we made cheeseburgers. Nobody else was home, but soon the gang arrived.

Cal looked at me. "Where the hell have you been?" he demanded, although he already knew the answer.

I smiled and looked at Samantha. "In Heaven."

Weeks later, everyone was there, at my house, as usual. We rented movies and ordered a pizza. Chris and Cal were in the kitchen, playing videos on the small television. Samantha and I were sitting on the front porch, holding each other.

"Samantha," I said.

"Yes."

I hesitated. Was I really going to do this? I loved this woman and when I woke up with her beside me that morning, after we made love, it felt so right. I wanted that back and I wanted that permanently.

"What is it, Andrew?" Samantha asked, worry in her eyes.

I looked into her eyes and I ran my hand over her cheek. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Andrew," she replied. "Is there something wrong?"

"No," I said. "What would you say if asked you to marry me?"

"What?"

"I'm curious," I said.

She stared at me for a moment. "Well," she finally said. "These past weeks have been the most romantic and most wonderful days of my life. I've been so happy. At this moment, I'd probably say yes."

"Would you really?"

"Definitely."

I looked at her for a very long moment. "Well, I'm asking."

She stared at me. "You're serious?"

"You know I am."

"I…" her voice died out as we heard the screech of tires coming around the corner of our block. Shots rang out and Samantha fell to the ground. Moments later, I fell beside her. The front door opened and my brothers stood over us. I didn't move for several moments. Then I looked at Samantha. She was still. I reached out and took her hand. I squeezed it gently.

"Samantha," I said, my voice shaking. She didn't respond. My heart pounding, I looked at Devon. "Is she…?" I couldn't say the words.

He and Chris exchanged glances. I knew then. They didn't have to say anything. Samantha was dead and suddenly, I felt strange and I was cold. I looked at everyone. I held onto Samantha's hand. I refused to let her go. I didn't want to. Not yet. I closed my eyes and remembered everything. I fell in love with her in less than twenty-four hours. I lost her in less than ten. Some trick Satan played on us, huh?

"Fight it, Andy," Chris said. "You have to fight it."

I looked at him and I knew that he knew. I was dying. There were two holes in my chest and I'd bleed to death before anyone arrived to help. I turned my eyes toward the sky and said a silent prayer. Moments later, everything went black.

Devon and Chris looked at each other. Their baby brother was dead. Samantha was dead.

"At least they're together," Cal said, his voice trembling.

Chris stumbled forward with a sob. Devon caught his little brother. "Easy, Chris," he said. "There's nothing we can do now. He's in God's hands now."