The Awakening Ch. 01-10

Story Info
Nothing is what it seems. But now it starts to make sense.
23.2k words
4.71
27.8k
53

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/23/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CalyPy
CalyPy
238 Followers

Thank you all for your comments and support on my first 2 deliveries on this long story I have been working on.

To those who ask me to find an editor, believe me I've tried! I went to search for some editors in Lit's program page and I just haven't got any luck finding one. Those few I contacted and were kind enough to reply, have told me that editing a long story like the one I have made so far it would be like doing a job for free, and they would agree to do so if there was some sort of compensation, which to be honest I agree is deserved but I just cant afford it.

That being said, I have found a friend who said he will look at it and try to help me but on his free time, He got a look at the first 10 chapters and I am re-posting them now with his revised version, which I also twitched a bit as well.

Again, thank you for your support and I love critics that are positive about characters and situations, it helps me implement them in future chapters. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------

The Awakening

Chapter 1

---------

Caliope was walking down the street, heading towards her new job. She had to be there right on time, as her new boss was a woman of impeccable fame and schedules had to be strictly followed.

She stopped right in front of a tall building, and only then realized the neighborhood she was in. It was the business district, and her new job was to simply look out the house of her employer's son, who she was told had a rare mental illness. Her look reflected her puzzled mind; she looked down at the paper then up to the tall, scary building. It might have taken her a few seconds more than she was supposed to take, as the security guard walked towards her.

Guard: May I help you young lady?

She chuckled and tried to hold her laughter, which didn't seem to make the guard very happy.

Caliope: I am sorry Sir, but I think someone gave me the wrong address. I am supposed to meet a Miss Elaine Clark In her house here?

The guard looked a bit shocked yet nodded and suddenly became polite. He showed her the way inside the building and offered her a cup of coffee once they were waiting for confirmation at the reception desk.

A small door opened and a very skinny old lady came through it, nodding to the guard and then to her.

Guard: Evening Magna.

Magna: Evening Gerard, thank you, I will take her to the Madame now. Hello, you must be Caliope, am I correct?

Caliope: yes, that is I, how did you know?

Magna: come, follow me, you are just in time, and the Madame was not waiting for anyone else but you.

The old lady grinned as she leaded Caliope through the door she came in, and towards the service area where both went up on the elevator to the 15th floor. So far Caliope's first impressions of the building and people were old and grey.

When the elevator stopped, the old lady pulled out a key from her pocket, inserted it into a special place on the panel, and only then, the doors opened. A very elegant yet simple living room welcomed both, as Magna offered to take her coat and hold her bag. Then she lead Caliope towards a bigger living room, as apparently, the one before was a sitting room for service people only. "Fancy..." she thought.

Caliope didn't want to make an impression as a dumb street girl, she kept her eyes looking to the place she would take a seat, and once there, her eyes focused on her hands resting softly on her knees. Crossed legs elegantly. A little bell rang, and a wooden bird came out from some place in the room. That made her look up and to her surprise, a tall, dark haired elegant business woman was walking towards her. Caliope stood up quickly, taking care for her skirt to stay in place.

Elaine Clark: I love sharp-on-time people, good first impression Miss Woodward.

Caliope: Thank you, Miss Clark, a pleasure to meet you.

Elaine Clark: Please, take a seat, and tell me a little bit more about you, like for example, your name...

Caliope: yes, it is written with a "C" and just one "L" on purpose. *smiling softly*

Elaine Clark: that indeed got me curious. *chuckling graciously* tell me why did your mother pick such an interesting name.

Even if she thought this was such a silly subject, Caliope decided to humor her new employer. To her surprise, she realized that no one ever asked her before about her name. She also noticed that Miss Cark was a very classy lady, around her late 40's but so well preserved, beautiful skin, kind voice, she could be even older.

Caliope: I picked my own name Miss Clark, My parents both died of an accident when I was very young, an unfortunate classic story, and I went through many foster homes, many first and last names. When I turned 18, I wanted a name of my own, written as I wanted, as my own personal statement, and that is how Caliope was born.

Elaine Clark: I must admit I am quite fond of your name; I like it, and don't get me wrong, but it's mostly why I had chosen you among other several resumes on my desk. I like a unique personality.

This caused Caliope to laugh nervously, imitated by Miss Clark, who realized the time was running fast. She called back Magna and as she was standing, both ladies picked up their purses and walked towards the door.

Elaine Clark: Make yourself comfortable Miss Woodward, my son rarely comes out of his room, his name is Amra, please assist him if he needs something, he will return to his room as soon as he gets what he wants.

Caliope: I will Miss, have a good day and you as well Lady Magna.

Miss Clark and Magna both smiled and the elevator doors closed. Caliope was a bit scared now as she was alone in a very unfamiliar environment, with a stranger who she did not know yet.

The first minutes alone in the elegant apartment Caliope walked in silence, exploring her way in the new place. She found the bathroom, or at least one of them, strategically close to the front doors. After a few more turns around the big living room and discovering a few hidden spots, she sat down on the small service area where she thought she was more comfortable. She took out her tablet, the last gift from her ex-boyfriend, and started to read the second half of a book she had started.

Then she heard a loud door closing, her eyes opened wide and realized she had fallen asleep. She stood up and looked toward the door making the noise and found Miss Clark at the main living room.

Elaine Clark: Caliope, how did it all go? Everything calm? Have you met my son?

Caliope: Welcome back Miss Clark, no, I haven't met him yet, everything was so calm I admit I nodded off at least once. Not even a phone rang.

Miss Clark chuckled as Caliope felt a bit awkward, and since she realized Magna had not returned with her, at least for now, she was alone with Miss Clark and it was an opportune time to clarify some doubts.

Caliope: Miss Clark, do you mind if I ask you a few things? I am a little confused.

Elaine Clark: Go ahead Caliope, I have some spare minutes.

Caliope: First of all, what exactly was I hired for? I remember sending you my resume a year ago, for what it was then, an assistant opening role. Suddenly I had a call from your secretary yesterday and offered a --similar- job starting today. But doing what?

Miss Clark stopped everything she was doing, turned her head, locked her eyes on Caliope, forming a small grin on her lips. With a hand gesture, she made Caliope take a seat, as she herself joined on the opposite one.

Elaine Clark: You are a very smart girl, I can see that, and at only 27 you have more spirit than many, not to mention your witty character, and your openness. That is correct; your resume was given to me last year, but by then the spot was filled. I did not return it back to the pile though, as I thought you had potential. You have unfinished studies on psychology, and a nice background as assistant, not only in this city but in other cities as well.

Miss Clark took a small break, a deep breath, and looked around the room then back at Caliope, and her smile exposed some sadness.

Elaine Clark: I love my son Caliope, but he is very special, and though he doesn't require constant attention, when he needs something and can't find it or get it, all hell breaks loose. I need someone who can assist me while I am in my house, and when I am not here as well, as I have many papers on my home office. But most of all, I need you to be here just in case for him. You will find the salary is already more than what a regular assistant would earn, and I need you to sign some legal paperwork where it would specify you as my personal assistant. Your work with mentally ill patients and your, not complete, but not small knowledge of psychology, should help you with my son. I hope this is clear enough for you, and I hope you still want to work with me. In a few words, you would be my home assistant, and keep an eye when it is needed on my son. Do not worry, he is not violent at all.

Caliope was pondering each word Miss Clark was revealing, it was obvious her experience brought her there, and the job sounded so easy, that for such a nice amount of money, would help her settle down on her new adventure of living alone. Above all, Miss Clark was being honest, and she would still give her some extra work while she was there, she seemed nice and polite, not an arrogant person, like so many now a days. Caliope started to remember her previous employer and showed dislike on her face.

Elaine Clark: Do you hate the idea so much?

Caliope: Oh, no! I am sorry Miss Clark, I was just thinking of what you told me, and yes I would love to.

Elaine Clark: And you put that face when you love things? *chuckling*

Caliope: Oh I am so very sorry Miss Clark! I was thinking to myself that you are so different from other people with same status as you. My recent memories of prior employers exposed my expression. *laughing nervously*

Elaine Clark: I could dig up if I have to, I had a very cryptic denial to reveal any information about your work with your previous employer, at least his assistant didn't want to give even a word. But I understand if you don't want to reveal more.

Caliope: I am not surprised Miss Clark, Mister Rawer was a very smart man in business, but he had bad taste in women.

Elaine Clark: *perking a brow* is that so?

Caliope: *nodding* yes, among all the women he could have, he picked me.

Elaine Clark: Oh well, that doesn't make sense, I find you adorable.

Caliope blushed but decided the subject to be left there.

Caliope: We had a relationship that ended badly, and is how I wished to leave it.

Elaine Clark: Ok darling, you are all set, my lawyer will bring the legal papers of your contract tomorrow morning, and you can leave now if you like, I will see you tomorrow at the same time.

Caliope: Thank you very much Miss Clark, it is going to be a pleasure to work with you.

Elaine Clark: a little present waits for you in the front desk when you leave the building, I don't take back presents, and consider it earned well. See you tomorrow Caliope.

Caliope: Good bye Miss Clark, thank you. See you tomorrow.

Caliope went to the service area and picked up her coat and bag. She took elevator which opened quickly, a nervous but bright smile was clearly showing on her face as she started to walk towards the exit of the building, the old guard nodded at her and gave her a package, smiling at her as she finally walked out.

She was going to cross the street when a man in a suit called her name. When she looked at him she noticed he was standing to the side of a beautiful car. Probably he was a driver.

Driver: Miss Woodward?

Caliope: yes, that is me, and you are?

Driver: I am Miss Clark's driver, she asked me to wait for you so I can take you to your residence.

Caliope: Oh, of course, thank you.

Of course... it was the gift she mentioned, Caliope was more than happy to step into an elegant car and get home in less than half the time it takes her normally. Once she was comfortable, she was thankful that the driver was silent, not looking for conversation. Taking the package that the old guard gave her, she opened it and took out the different objects inside. A key, very similar to the one Lady Magna had, easy to know what it was for. A copy of the document she was going to sign to the lawyer the next day, so she can read it in advance. A card with Miss Clark's, personal and office phone numbers, as well as some off shore lines. She found and opened a smaller envelope, with a little stash of money and a letter with a small message: "A gift I won't take back. A present and a sign of trust. Buy yourself dinner and something else to pamper yourself, see you tomorrow. Miss Elaine Clark".

Caliope was very happy, nervously happy, it was all coming out great and it seemed all her bad luck from last couple of years were finally turning around to positive experiences. Not long ago, just a few months back, her obsessive ex-boyfriend and boss was making her regret to ever have dated him in the first place. To her it was simple, he was becoming too obsessive and controlling, she asked him for some freedom and in return he locked her in his apartment for a day, all of that was forgiven until he contacted her last adoptive mother to know all about her years with them. Even after knowing her foster father abused her and her foster mother did nothing to stop him. He knew Caliope did not want to be back in touch with them, it was too much for her, and when she decided to break up, he tried to kill himself, only to keep her with him longer. She finally contacted a lawyer and made all the papers necessary to keep him at a distance, which was possible after he threatened her with a letter, giving her evidence. But now all of that was in the past, he was gone; she was in a new city, new job, and new life.

That night Caliope ordered delivery of Chinese food, one of her favorites. She sat in front of her small TV and watched a show while eating her dinner, then she went to bed with a big smile on her face, sleep came late as she was too excited for her new job.

---------

Chapter 2

---------

Next morning she woke up early, picked up her other suit, put the one from the previous day in her washing machine and made a note to herself to remember to take it out and iron it when she returned that night. After her shower she got dressed and picked up her bag, then the bell rang, and she stopped to think for a second. She had not expected anyone. She started walking slowly towards the door, and once there, peeked to see who it was. She started to breathe again, it was Miss Clark's driver back to pick her up.

Once Caliope inserted the special key, the elevator doors opened and she walked in smiling. Lady Magna was there greeting her as she was picking up her bag and walking towards the door to the big living room.

Magna: Miss Woodward please walk with me. Miss Clark will be with us soon, she asked me to guide you through the apartment.

Caliope: thank you... that would be very helpful.

Magna: you already know the living room. And towards the front door is the guest's bathroom. Now, don't forget that you can use it too if you like.

Caliope: I would try to avoid that but thank you for letting me know.

Magna: Easiest way to remember your way back is imagining the living room as the center, with the elevators as part of that center. The apartment is wrapped around it. Starting from the service rest area, The Kitchen and the dining room are over there, the next important room is the Study. Miss Clark's Library is next, and then a guest's room. A second bathroom there, and the next room is Miss Clark's son's room. Young Amra has his own bathroom. Next to there is Miss Clark's room with her own bathroom as well. There is another room following hers, used to save personal things from Miss Clark so that is a room no one enters but her and her son. The dining room again, and the kitchen. A small room with cleaning accessories. That leads us back here. Do you have questions?

Caliope was trying to memorize each room and then quickly shook her head. It didn't sound hard, the apartment, as big as or even bigger than any of her previous residences, was very well ordered, helping her immensely.

Caliope: Thank you Magna, may I ask, do you remain here at times? During the day?

Magna: my job, among other things, consists of what you are going to do as well, but I only work during nights, and directly with Miss Clark, I don't deal with her son.

A little hint of irony was detected on her statement, and just then Miss Clark came out of her room finishing combing her hair to the side.

Elaine Clark: Oh Caliope, I am happy to see you. Magna, can you make sure this envelope goes straight to our main client in his private residence today.

Magna: yes Miss Clark, I am going to be waiting for you downstairs. Bye Miss Woodward, have a good day.

Caliope: Goodbye Magna, enjoy your day as well. Hello Miss Clark, it is nice to see you.

Miss Clark was smiling entertained by some private joke and as soon as Magna left on the elevator, she motioned Caliope to join her at the Kitchen. As she poured herself a glass of fresh juice, and offered Caliope another, she smiled warmly at her.

Elaine Clark: Magna is a very smart woman, who I have known for a long time, and have worked with even longer. But she doesn't get along with my son. I also need a lot of help, and she is a bit sensitive with the fact that I wanted to hire someone else to help me and also be with my son.

Caliope understood quickly why Miss Clark was telling this to her, she must have heard Caliope asking Magna about her job, and also like her, noticed the little hint of irony in her tone. Miss Clark continued.

Elaine Clark: To be honest, it was my son who suggested to make Magna very busy on other things and as far from him as possible. You don't have to worry about a thing, she is not holding any bad feelings toward you.

Caliope: I am not worried, but I do thank you for telling me. Anything in particular you wish me to do for you as you are gone today Miss Clark?

Elaine Clark: As a matter of fact, there is some paperwork I have been working on, and even Magna forgot about it. But first, have you read the copy of the legal contract I wanted you to sign today?

Caliope blinked and swallowed hard, she had forgotten to read it, but she did not know how it would make her look. At her sudden hesitation to reply, Miss Clark quickly added.

Elaine Clark: I am sure you did not have enough time, so it is ok, you can take this morning to finish reading it, and at noon, one of my personal lawyers will come to collect your signature, is that ok with you?

Caliope: yes Miss Clark, thank you very much, I appreciate all your patience and support towards me.

Elaine Clark: I am happy you are here Caliope, and now it is time for me to run. Have a beautiful day dear.

As soon as she finished her sentence, Miss Clark returned to the living room, picked up her bag, and led herself to the front elevator.

Elaine Clark: and Caliope, when you finish with those legal papers, the other paperwork is on my study, make yourself at home.

And the elevator doors closed on her last words, leaving Caliope completely alone at the room. She ran to her bag and took out the copy of the contract she was going to sign later, took a seat and started to read each line carefully. It was nothing out of the ordinary, but Miss Clark made it sound important. A few articles were not what she would have expected, but she was committed to make her job career start there, and reading about long night hours or trips outside of the country made her even more interested in her new job.

She finished reading the contract about 30 minutes before noon and decided to wait for the lawyer before starting with Miss Clark's paperwork, when she felt something strange. The apartment was on the 15th floor, but it seemed quieter than usual. The hair behind her neck started to rise and she felt a little agitated without a reason. As if something was going to happen, she stood up and carefully started to look around the room. Their eyes met and she felt her heart skip a beat. He was tall, very tall; he might as well be built to work as a body guard, strong, and with a powerful presence. He was easily double her size. "Caliope... I presume" she heard the words, but she could have sworn his lips did not move. Her eyes were locked on his, so she just might have missed it.

CalyPy
CalyPy
238 Followers