The Beginning Ch. 00

Story Info
An Introduction to the Universe.
2.3k words
4.48
30k
48

Part 1 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/19/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Prologue

Mankind has always assumed that they're on the only life-sustaining planet in the universe, and even that thereisonly one universe. Scientists, philosophers, shamans- anybody really- who proposed that either of these statements aren't true, were mocked and ridiculed all through history. Well, surprise! They were all right.

Earth is not the only inhabited planet out there. In fact, the "Milky Way", known to the rest of us as Galaxy 37-Z-ER (not really, but that's the closest available translation for the string of characters in Multiversal that refer to this area) alone has 2,054 other planets that sustain life. Only four of these however, are inhabited by "humanoid" shaped creatures. Furthermore, this isnotthe only universe there is. It is however, one of the earliest that came into existence- the 101, 452, 324, 058th in fact. How do I know all this? Well, telling you that would ruin a big surprise, so let's keep that aside for the time being.

I'm pretty sure you're confused to no end by now, so let me start at the beginning. At theverybeginning.

*****

A long time ago, longer than anyone remembers, and long before any records were maintained, the Council of Nine- I shall not seek to name them, as no tongue can form their names- got together and created The Prime, the first universe. They shaped everything within that universe with loving hands, making it perfect. The perfect planets, with the perfect lifeforms, all living the perfect lives, carrying out the perfect tasks in the perfect societies. Lifeforms that were fashioned after their own mental capabilities, save for two things: free will, and the ability to comprehend evil, or feel a negative emotion. How could they maintain this perfection? Why, by choreographing each and every millisecond in the universe, of course! Each of the Nine took turns at what we came to call the Roll of Life, a scroll the Nine created, which they used to plan out the very course of the universe.

Perfection however, can get real boring real fast. With everything planned out to even the tiniest moment, each of the Nine felt the stirrings of monotony pulling at them. They couldn't figure out what to do however, till one of them came up with a solution. He waited patiently for eons, till His turn at the Roll of Life came around, and then He did the unthinkable. He ripped it asunder, incinerating it with His power, and blew the ashes of it across the universe. The others moved against Him at once, seeking to slay Him for His treachery, the one who had made moot all their efforts at creating the universe in the first place.

He managed to stay their hands however, and bade them to look down upon their creation, and tell Him what they saw. They looked, expecting to see nothing but ashes. Instead, what greeted their eyes, was a universe full of possibilities. No longer was everything decided down to a "t". No longer, was anything boring.

"Free will, my brethren," He murmured, as He joined them to study the changes rippling across space, "and the gift of desire. That is what our creations needed. The ability to think independently, to act on their own with their own desires driving them. This alone could have shattered the chains of boredom that were pulling us down, and this alone could have pushed them to achieve and realize their true potential. That is what I have given them, save of course, the desire to destroy, or the callings of the Dark."

Satisfied that their creation was indeed safe, and drawn to all that was happening within, the others forgave Him, and spent eons more in silent observation, enraptured by all that was unfolding before them. With the gift of free will and the ability to think and imagine, without the threat of the desire to destroy, their creation flourished beyond anything they could have imagined. There was however, one aspect they did not foresee.

With the gift of free will, came the burden of choice. With the chance to choose, came a paradox. Due to the original nature of their creation, and owing to the fact that all their actions were supposed to be choreographed with no alternative, every thought or possible move each and every one of their beings within their universe could comprehend,hadto play out. Needless to say, this threatened the very fabric of everything, as one creature couldn't simultaneously do two or more things, nor could one action have multiple outcomes. The solution to this unique problem however, presented itself in a rather unforeseen way- a split. Every single time a sentient being was at a crossroads decision-wise, the universe literallysplit itselfinto multiple copies, each incorporating one version of possible events that resulted from that moment of choice. We came to call such moments points of inflection.

At any given instant, there are infinite points of inflection occurring, which of course means that there are infinite universes being "created" every second. Most people ask how this can be true, and how they don't see or sense any of this happening. The answer to that question is so simple, that it becomes insanely complex to comprehend. You see, you don't experience the split, since you are a part of that universe itself. What I mean, is that when a mirror or parallel universe is created, so is a copy of every single part of that universe, which of course includes a copy of you. At the moment of its duplication, this copy is similar to you in every aspect- the same height, the same weight, the same freckle in the same spot on your cheek, the same psychological complexes and issues- everything, really. Itisyou, save for that one small decision. For example, you might choose to wear a red t-shirt today over a blue one. Your parallel image however, will choose the blue t-shirt, and that small choice will- over the course of time- blow up into a completely different life. You might not be noticed by that cute girl at the club because your red t-shirt blends in too well with the décor, but your parallel image's choice of blue might and out enough to draw her attention. A casual greeting in a noisy club might evolve into a beautiful relationship that ends in a happy marriage. You on the other hand, the "you" that chose to wear red, might just go home and crash, blissfully unaware that you missed the chance to meet the girl of your dreams. If I go on to explain any more, it would eat up enough space to become a book of its own, so for now, see if you can wrap your head around this- you are a part of a universe that is an image of another, similar in every aspect, save for the tiniest of details, which of course changes your whole life. And, there are countless other versions of you present in the vast multiverse. Some might be taller, some thinner, some more athletic, or some utter geeks. Any aspect of you or what you could be can change, and the multiverse accommodatesallthose changes.

Returning to our main story, as the multiverse came into existence, the Council of Nine found themselves watching awestruck as things unfurled in amazing ways beyond what even they could have imagined. One in their midst however, grew bored even with everything that was happening. She felt that they had nottrulyfreed their creations from their grasp, and that there was still much more they could accomplish. All they needed, was one last ingredient- the Dark.

She knew however, that the others would never agree with Her, and that they would see it as an attempt to destroy their creation. She also knew that if She moved against them in secret, they would discover what She'd done, and slay Her anyway. Desperate to do what She thought was truly right, and blinded by Her faith in Her idea, She took the only option She saw. She tapped into the Darkness within Herself, and let it consume Her fully, before disintegrating and spreading Herself across the multiverse, settling within the soul of every creature. She becametrue evil;she became the trace of darkness within us all, that whispers sickly sweet promises in the dead of the night, prompting us to do the unthinkable. From that point on, She was known only as The Dark Lady.

The rest of the (now) Eight could only watch in silent horror, unable to stop the Darkness from seeping into every facet of the multiverse. They mourned the destruction of their creation, expecting everything to descend into chaos as the people they'd created and nurtured so lovingly gave in to their darkest desires and annihilated everything around them.

Fortunately though, things didn't quite pan out the way they thought they would. For every being that gave in to the Darkness, there were five or six who would stand against it, unwilling to let it consume them, and striving to stop those who had lost the battle within themselves. And thus began the Immortal War that pitched the forces of Light against the forces of Darkness. As time flew by, the protectors of all that is good and the harbingers of all that is evil fought battle after battle across the multiverse, each trying to suppress the other and reign supreme over all.

War is an ugly thing though, and as the battles raged on, more beings began to embrace the Dark, often in an attempt to defeat it. In an attempt to win a battle, good soldiers would descend to the same level as those they fought, corrupting themselves, and losing their hold on the vileness within. Soon, the scales began to tip towards the Dark side, and it seemed that all would yet be lost.

It was then, that the Eight played their final card, one that would change the balance of power forever. In a radical move born out of the love they had for their multiverse, and the desperation to save it, they picked a small group of beings from the Prime, beings who had the purest of souls, all but untouched by the Darkness. They combined all their powers, and Raised these beingsabove and beyondthe rest of the beings in the multiverse, giving them many of the same abilities they possessed. The Transcendence, it was called, and those who had Transcended came to be known as The Celestials.

The Eight tasked these Celestials with maintaining the balance of power in each universe within the multiverse, adding to their ranks as and when necessary. I say the "balance of power", because The Eight realized that they couldn't just wipe out the Darkness from the multiverse. You see, only in the presence of the Dark could they really see the Light. In their infinite wisdom, they realized that peace-true peace- would only come with a balance.

The Celestials had their rules of course, rules that couldn't be broken under any circumstances. The first rule, was they were always dispatched in pairs of two. The second, was that they could never affect events directly, but only via their offspring. To allow them to function within these rules, the Eight made it a point to pick beings who were already deep in love with each other. Not only did this make it easier for them to carry out their edicts, it also assured that they would fight as hard as they could to protect and support each other. The Eight also gave the Celestials the ability to shape their children to match any race within the multiverse, so that they could affect the events transpiring on a particular planet without standing out. The last thing the Eight did, was create apool of soulscalled the "Supreme Consciousness" for each universe within the multiverse, and made it so that each being born within that particular universe would draw their soul as a drop from the Supreme Consciousness, and upon their death, would merge with it once again.

The Celestials tasked with their missions, were dispatched to various universes, and assumed key roles in the histories of every civilization that ever existed. At times, they appeared as Gods or Divine Beings to tilt the course of an event one way- never intervening directly, but acting via their followers, whispering hints in their ears and subtly manipulating the strings of fate- and at others, acted via their children, posing them as heroes or saviors of civilizations, helping the forces of good weather the wrath of the hordes of evil. Try as they might however, the dark kept coming back over and over again. Their efforts would hold it at bay for a while, but like a wave being pushed out to sea, it would surge back- often stronger than ever.

The Eight realized that to strike the balance they so coveted, they would have to stabilize the forces guiding the denizens of the Dark, by neutralizing the source of their power. To that end, a small group of Celestials worked closely with the Council of Eight, devoting eons to studying the patterns exhibited by the Darkness, and eons more analyzing what they observed. Finally, fifty-three thousand, six hundred, and seventy-three eons after the Dark Lady cursed the multiverse with the burdens of evil, they found what they were looking for. They managed to locate a world which housed what they named the "Seed of Darkness"- the center of the Dark Lady's very soul. The root ofallevil.

That planet, was Earth. The Earth of this particular universe.

That is where my story begins.