The Black Seas Ch. 17

Story Info
Demons and pirates on the high seas.
1k words
6.9k
00

Part 15 of the 22 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/03/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pearl Cays, 1705

TheSea's Doubloonwafted through the water and wreckage that was once theOcean's Innocence. Its crew cast themselves across the railing viewing what was left, looking for signs of life. Cargo and supplies were littered amongst pieces of the ship itself and lifeless bodies.

The captain, Dominic Waiverton, thought just how right Maynard was about Calico Jack's betrayal. Even he thought it possible but unlikely due to Calico Jack's reputation as an honorable man. But everyman had a breaking point.

Waiverton now only hoped he could find his friend in the disaster that was strewn out before them. How many people were going to be lost to the sea before the pirate threat was stopped? he thought. Governor Rogers was willing to do whatever necessary to end the threat and the quickest way of doing so lie in the one man he hoped to find.

"Release the boats Lieutenant," he ordered as he came out of his thoughts.

"Sir?" the lieutenant questioned.

"Is there a problem with my order?"

"No sir. It's just there isn't much left of theInnocence."

Waiverton glared at the young lieutenant. "Does that mean that we give up a search for survivors?"

The young man visibly shrunk back slightly then stammered, "No sir. But what if we're—"

"Attacked by pirates?" Waiverton finished.

"Yes sir."

Resignation fell over Waiverton. He had been sailing these waters for nearly fifteen years now and had participated in many naval battles including those involving pirates. Pirates were never a real bit threat but recently their numbers have grown and their disregard for life was beginning to spread fear into the hearts of young seaman all over the world.

The threat was growing bigger and bigger in the Caribbean but slowly spreading to other places. It was up to the few that had the courage to stand against them, but even fear could root its way in and tear that apart from the inside out.

"Pirates are the least of our concerns," he said bluntly. "In facttheyare the ones that should be in fear of us. Do not fear lieutenant, for we have the entire Royal Navy behind us."

"Yes sir," the young man said more confidently. "Forgive my moment of weakness."

"There is no need to apologize," Waiverton said with a dismissing wave. "Fear is a strength that all men use to persevere. Now launch my boats."

"Aye, aye."

——

TheDoubloon'screw spent the next hour shifting through the debris and finding a few survivors. With each new one though, Waiverton's hope of finding his friend slowing slipped away. He was nearly ready to call off the search when a man was spotted off the port bow.

——

Maynardmanaged to keep himself afloat after being thrown from his ship. After the explosion he collected himself onto a piece of the mast the survived the fiery explosion.

He was angry to see his ship destroyed, but he was even angrier at Calico Jack's betrayal. His would be one more head in a long list of them. Of course Jack was marked for death anyway, he mused. The governor of Jamaica, who had literally power over the Caribbean, had a death warrant signed and ready upon their return for Jack.

Governor Rogers sought to end piracy in the Caribbean by any means necessary. Unfortunately for him and most other people in the world, most pirates weren't even human. There were the few that were human, but most weren't.

In times such as these it was theBlack List'sjob to step in. Thankfully he had and ally close to the governor. Things worked well when governments cooperated.

But regardless of the governor's death warrant, Maynard couldn't allow Jack to live. Every demon, even half-demons were a threat. And when threats went untreated, the results came in the form they were now.

Maynard had fallen asleep more from blood loss than exhaustion and hoped Waiverton arrived before the sharks did. To his luck he was woke by the noise of theSea's Doubloon'screw. His eyes took a moment to focus. His head felt sluggish and his body weak.

Maynard knew he was skirting on the edge of life and death and the last place he wanted to be when death came was at sea where the bastard demon Davy Jones could ripped his soul away to his accursed locker.

He attempted to catch someone's attention aboard the ship, but he could barely summon an audible grunt. So he settled back, slumped on the large piece of wood. He was at the least glad he had Waiverton follow.

Time passed one slowly for Maynard and many times he lost consciousness despite his best attempts to stay awake. Falling asleep with the loss of so much blood meant the possibility of never waking up.

He dreamed of his wife and two children back at home in England. He dreamed of his home, the headquarters of theBlack List. He even dreamed of running his sword through the heart of every demon he now hunted, but none more so than Calico Jack.

He dreamed of just what he would do to the man once he caught up with him when he was suddenly tugged out of the dream. Bright light stung his eyes as he tried to open them. He felt hands grabbing at his clothes and the weight of the water slowly falling off his body. The sounds of voices filtered by his ears, but he wasn't able to make out the words. Shadows crossed his eyes and a sudden fear engulfed him.

He was now in the one place—the only place—he feared to be: Davy Jones' Locker.

——

"We found him!" one of the men in the boat yelled as the other three men in the long boat pulled Maynard in.

"He's lost quite a bit of blood," one of the men commented.

"Quick then with the oars," the first man ordered.

The men finished dragging Maynard's limp form into the boat and hurriedly began rowing back to theDoubloon. Once aboard the ship Maynard was taken to the doctor and given top priority as ordered by his friend Waiverton. Waiverton knew Maynard would be angry with his special treatment of him above the rest of the injured crew, but it was something Maynard would have to just deal with.

"Haul in the boats and hoist the sails," Waiverton ordered. "Make a heading back to Port Royal."

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

The Brethren The tale of Davy Jonesin Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Orders & Servitude Part 3 of the assassin Tsyr Ker's tale.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Alexandros: Ch. 00-01 The tale of a banished Spartan warrior.in Novels and Novellas
Accession: CATU Book 5 Ch. 00 Confusion.in Novels and Novellas
From the Ashes: CATU Book 6 Ch. 00 The Amazon.in Novels and Novellas
More Stories