The Black Seas Ch. 24-26

Story Info
Demons and pirates on the high seas.
4.1k words
7.9k
00

Part 22 of the 22 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/03/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Port Royal, 1706

Sounds like someone is in a hurry," Governor Rogers commented at the sound of footfalls echoing through the hall.

Robert Maynard turned slightly away from the window to the governor then to the door. "Let us hope he has news. We certainly can use some."

Before Governor Rogers could say more, a knock at the door echoed through the office.

"Come in," he said instead.

A young soldier stepped in. His face was slightly pale and his hair looked overly wet from sweat.

"Sorry to interrupt Governor," he said once he caught the sight of Maynard.

"It's alright son," Rogers said. "What is your hurry soldier?"

"I was told to bring this message to you sir as fast as possible," the young soldier said holding out a piece of paper to the governor.

Rogers took the note from the man and quickly read over it. He looked up from the paper and said, "Good work son. Dismissed."

Once the door shut after the soldier Rogers turned back toward the eager Maynard.

"It appears we have that news we needed."

He handed the paper to Maynard to look at for himself. After reading the paper his expression changed from a smile to concern. Rogers caught the change.

"What has you worried?"

Maynard looked out to the window for a few moments. When he turned back he said, "I do not doubt that the information is accurate but it does seem a little too convenient."

"Are you saying it could be a trap?"

"I am saying it is a trap," Maynard answered with a grin.

"Then if it is a trap, I can reassign a portion of the fleet to assist you."

"There won't be a need for that," Maynard said quickly holding his hand up in the air. "I will take theRanger andJane. In a three way battle, we will have the advantage. With any luck, one of the two sides will destroy the other leaving us with the remains."

"I want this threat eliminated from the Caribbean Robert as was our agreement."

"And I assure you that I will fulfill our agreement. I have assets all over the world addressing this threat."

Rogers sighed loudly. "To be honest Robert, I could care less what your organization is or does or what people you have where. The world isn't my concern and as far as I am concerned not even the king's concerns matter.

"This ismysea undermycontrol. I will not have disorder in the Caribbean while under my command. I brought you in to help and at the same time help you."

Rogers was full of determination rather than anger. Maynard could see the calmness displayed by the man and hear the threat underlying his words. Politics of the world or even governments didn't matter to him or theBlack List.

"I understand Governor. It is I that approached you after all." He pulled away from the window and took a seat at one of the chairs in front of the governor's desk. "I am also a man of my word. Both of us have a common threat though they may not exactly be the same."

"I care not for what you claim to chase or say there is out there," Rogers interrupted. "The fact that you have assets and people that are able to help is enough.

"But, I don't like speculation. I like assurances and guarantees."

"Then I guarantee these threats will be eliminated. All I need is the two ships," Maynard said assuredly.

Rogers rubbed his chin briefly. "They are yours to use, but," he paused holding his index finger up, "but, if you return without the task complete I will put you in the same category of a pirate and I will have you hunted down."

"Then let us hope I prove successful."

Dead Man's Cove, 1706

WiththeQueen Anne's Revenge leading theDutchman both ships slowly slipped into the cove. TheRadiantDiscord sat anchored at the back of the cove. Lights shone from its empty decks and it put Blackbeard a bit on guard.

The fools picked a bad spot to hide.He commented to Morgan.

The cove was surrounded by mountainside that stretched from the water up at least a hundred feet into the air. There was no shore that the pirate demon could see or anyplace for climbing and the only way out was the way both ships just entered.

Then we have them were we want them.Morgan answered knowing different.

Signal Jones to secure the exit.Blackbeard ordered.Prepare the crew to board.

Morgan was taken back for a moment. For a brief instant he thought Blackbeard must have known the trap he was falling into but just as quickly dismissed the idea. The demon captain wasn't a fool but like all demons, arrogant.

Morgan slipped away to fulfill the orders. He didn't worry about the entrance/exit staying blocked to hinder the plan. With so many against Blackbeard, he had no chance to survive.

TheBrethren insisted on using Blackbeard to their own ends even against Morgan's objections, which is why he allied himself with theDjinn as his first mate.

Now like Morgan had foreseen was a mistake. It was too bad theBrethren wouldn't see firsthand that he was right and they were so utterly wrong.

——

Jack watched Blackbeard's ship slowly crest through the waters toward theDiscord while theDutchman moved to block the entrance of the cove. He looked away from the ship below and over across the way to where Anne or as he was still coming to accept, Rusalka. Of course, in the darkness and distance he couldn't see her or the rest of the crew lying in wait for the ship to come within range. But the thought of them being together after this was over was comforting.

Mary Read and Howell Davis waited aboard theDiscord with what was left of the crew. Davy Jones wouldn't be a threat since Morgan would have him taken care of. It was almost too easy.

He looked away from his sister's direction and back down at the ship. It was only seconds away now. He drew his sword and grabbed the rope.

Ten seconds.

TheQueen Anne's Revenge pulled alongside theDiscord. Ropes and grappling hooks flew across securing the vessels to each other. Blackbeard led his crew over onto the opposite deck.

Five seconds.

TheDiscord remained empty. Mary Read would wait to attack until the ambush started.

Now!Rusalka's voice rang out in the silence of night.

Jack jumped and saw the rest of the ambush crew was doing the same. Rusalka swooped down toward the ships leading the assault. Having wings had its benefits.

Below Jack saw the questioning look spread across Blackbeard's face. Surprise was something he expected the demon captain to have—not a questioning look.

The look didn't last long on Blackbeard's face and quickly changed to anger when Mary Read burst from the bow and Howell Davis from the aft. Each had a group of crewmembers high on their heels.

TheQueen Anne's Revenge was active with Blackbeard's crew as Jack and the ambush crew landed. Rusalka was already onboard rushing toward the horde with her sword drawn.

Jack stole a look back toward the cove's opening and saw theDutchman was no longer there but rather headed straight for them. To make matters worse, a set of three ships were about to slip into the cove as well.

What the hell is going on?

Jack's attention was stole away by the first clang of metal. The battle had begun and now it was a matter of winning it.

——

RobertMaynard looked ahead as his ship passed through the waterway. He could see a battle progressing ahead, but the lack of cannon fire was perplexing.

"Signal theRanger andJane to flank either side," he ordered. "We attack straight on."

"Aye, aye."

TheRanger andJane cut away from theOcean's Revenge. With any luck they would reached the battle unnoticed and unhindered.

——

Blackbeard roared in outrage cutting down two men at once. Another rushed him from his right. He pulled out a pistol from his belt and shot the man down. He tossed the pistol down and grabbed another shooting another man dead across the deck.

He was outraged. TheQueen Anne's Revenge was invaded and a trap had been set for him. All the blame fell to his first mate, Morgan. Spotting Morgan, he strode across the deck toward lesser demon. Blackbeard couldn't wait to wrap his hand around his neck.

Ye scurvy, mutinous, yellow-bellied dog!Blackbeard roared.Come face me so I can wring out yer soon to be lifeless corpse!

Morgan turned to face him. Even though the battle hadn't been long he was covered with the blood of his opponents. A scowl crossed his face. He hadn't expected Blackbeard to target him as the mutineer so soon.

The tides had now changed. He turned away from the attack and stalked toward Blackbeard. The demon captain stood unmoving, his sword lowered at his side, waiting for Morgan to make the first move.

Morgan stepped up his pace to a run. He brought his sword around for a midsection strike. Blackbeard swung his sword around to block then slammed his left fist into Morgan's face. The unexpected strike sent him reeling to the deck. Using the momentum of the fall he tucked his shoulder and rolled to his feet.

He spun around just in time to block a strike from the demon captain. Blackbeard growled in frustration. Morgan broke away and smirked.

I didn't expect ye to turn on me.Blackbeard accused.Ye land loving mutineer.

Ye never fully trusted me and I never ye.

Blackbeard answered lashing out in another strike. It was easily blocked. They continued striking and blocking, neither gaining any ground.

Obviously we are going to neither gain nor lose to each other.Blackbeard growled as they locked swords.

Speak fer yerself.Morgan said nodding to the left.

Blackbeard followed his gesture to see Davy Jones stepping from theDutchman over onto theDiscord.

Jones follows me and no one else.He roared.

I think not.Morgan said breaking away and holding theShedu Medallion in the air.

Blackbeard pulled out another pistol, drawing on Morgan. As he fired Howell Davis slammed into him. The pistol went high causing Morgan to take the shot in his shoulder, spinning him around.

Davis and Blackbeard rolled a couple times along the deck until Davis was thrown. He landed against the main mast with such force every bone in his body was crushed. Blackbeard stood and brushed himself off then looked at Davis' lifeless body lying in a crumpled heap. Satisfied, he smiled and looked back toward Morgan.

His smile turned into a scowl when Morgan was no longer there.

——

CalicoJack stopped the moment he saw Davis tackle the far larger demon, Blackbeard. His heart dropped at the sight.

Why in the nine hells was he thinking?Rusalka asked.

He spun to face her. He was filled with guilt at losing his close friend, but his resolve quickly filled up with determination to finish the battle and not let Davis' life go to waste.

"Morgan was in danger so he sacrificed himself to keep him alive," he explained.

Still doesn't explain why he'd risk his own life for a demon especially when it was clear he cared nothing for demons.

"Because the plans hinges on Morgan winning and letting us—me leave the Caribbean safe and alive."

So it boils down to loyalty.

"Without loyalty ye can't be sure to run a good crew or a true friend," he replied. "Take ye and Mary Read for instance."

What about her?She asked sounding disapproving and accusing.

"Ye two seemed a bit close."

Sure far she has proven trustworthy but I have yet to see loyal.

"Ye'd be surprised."

We will see. Right now we have company.

She turned and ran opposite theOcean's Revenge as it pulled alongside theQueen Anne's Revenge. Jack took another second to look around and access what was happening—a little confused about his sister's actions.

TheRanger andJane had just commenced attacking theDutchman, bombarding the massive ship from both sides. He thought he caught sight of Morgan on its deck but with the chaos onboard he couldn't be sure.

Ye coming or not? Rusalka shouted back at him drawing him to break away and look at her.

"Aye," he shouted back and ran to catch up with her. "Just found it strange ye running from a fight."

Not running.Rusalka breathed.I just don't care to be between Blackbeard and Maynard.

"Oh, I see," he said nonchalantly.

Besides we'll miss our ticket out of here.

Jack then noticed theRadiantDiscord cutting past theJane which lay in their path just ahead. It was then a thought popped into his head.

"What about yer revenge against Blackbeard?"

As much as I would like to have it I would like to live.She explained.

Jack didn't need an explanation. Rusalka faced two scenarios: kill Blackbeard and die by Maynard and his crew's hands or escape and start a new life with him. He had no doubts she would have chosen the latter if they hadn't reunited.

——

Maynardstepped onto theQueen Anne's Revenge, his sword in one hand and a pistol in the other. His crew didn't waste any time and were already onboard and engaging the enemy by the time he stepped over the gap.

Immediately Blackbeard caught his eye.

"Face me ye demon dog!" he yelled.

Blackbeard heard the challenge over the clanging of metal and roars of the battle and turned toward his challenger. A grin crept across his face as he started walking toward Maynard.

——

Morganrushed up past the group of creatures toward the bow of theDutchman where Davy Jones stood issuing orders to fire upon the two ships that was now pounding cannon fire onto them.

TheDutchman was a large ship that could handle the cannon fire but even Morgan knew it wouldn't take the damage forever. It was clear to him as soon as Jones saw he had the medallion theDutchman wouldn't have to.

Ye succeeded in acquiring the accursed medallion. Now give it to me.

I think not.Morgan glared at theDemon Lord.

Ye dare betray me?Jones asked accusingly. A sword suddenly appeared in his hand as he began to approach Morgan.

No more of a betrayal than ye would be doing to me.He said stepping back in sync with Jones. He held the medallion into the air. I release ye Davy Jones from the medallion and the binding of Ancel and take yer power and give it to me!

Jones took a couple more steps before a strange and painful feeling stung through the core of his being. It felt like a fiery hand reached into his body and latched onto his soul and was now trying to rip it free of its prison.

The sword Jones was holding fell to the deck with a clang, bouncing briefly a couple of times before finally settling. He reared back in what Morgan took as pain. The creatures onboard all suddenly froze as if time had stopped freezing everything in its place.

Jones' soul finally tore free of his body swirling above the demon's head then shot straight out at Morgan. A searing heat filtered through Morgan. Instead of a terrible burning feeling he felt soothing warmth invigorating him.

So this is what true power fells like.

When it was over Morgan's eyes refocused. Jones had seemingly disappeared like he never existed. Morgan looked down at strange hands but they were his. The creatures all stood moving subtly but awaiting his command.

Cannon fire from theRanger andJane continued their bombardment on theDutchman drawing Morgan's attention back to the present. He could now feel what the ship felt. Its pains became his. The flow of the sea flowed through him, an awareness he never knew existed.

He could rip through every one of the fools that attacked him now, but that would have to wait. TheDutchman was far too injured to do so and losing such a fine ship would only set Morgan back in his future plans.

Instead, he commanded his newly acquired ship into the sea.

The waters parted and covered theDutchman as if it was swallowing the ship whole. The other two ships ceased their firing believing to have finally sunk the bigger ship.

Let them believe us to be defeated. The more fear when I return the better.

——

Calico Jack and Rusalka raced across the deck and leapt onto theJane just at the moment Morgan received his newfound power. A jolt rushed through Rusalka causing her to falter just as she landed. Her feet gave out dropping her hard to the deck. Jack was at her side just seconds later.

"Ye alright?" he asked breathlessly.

Aye. I just felt a sudden change of power.

"I guess that means Morgan was successful," he reasoned.

Rusalka gave him a curt nod then said.We've got company.

Company was an understatement. The entire crew of theJane stood before them.

——

With a foot propped on a barrel Blackbeard glared at the man standing across the expanse of deck before him. Blackbeard had already suffered from several pistol shots and many severe cuts but he was nowhere near ready to give in or die. He held a bottle of rum in his one hand and a pistol in the other.

Damnation seize me soul if I give ye quarter or take any from ye.

Maynard with his own pistol drawn replied, "I expect no quarter from you nor shall I give any."

They fired their pistols. Blackbeard's went wide but Maynard's hit its mark. The bullet struck the demon captain in his chest. But rather than killings him it any served to anger him more.

Blackbeard charged matched by Maynard. The deck was slick from blood from the previous battle, but caused no hindrance to either crew as they engaged each other.

Maynard and Blackbeard collided. Their swords clanged with each impact until Blackbeard's cutlass broke through Maynard's weapon. A flash of surprise crossed Maynard's face and he drew back producing another pistol and fired.

He didn't know if the bullet hit as Blackbeard still enraged moved in to strike him down. His attack was disrupted, however, as a man of Maynard's leapt in slashing Blackbeard across the neck.

The slash not only disrupted Blackbeard but disoriented him. The effect provided enough time for several more of Maynard's men to slip in to attack the demon. Blackbeard suffered slashes and stabs until finally he fell to the deck dead.

Blackbeard's crew fought for a few more minutes but eventually surrendered, dropping their swords to the deck.

Maynard took a sword from one of his crew and chopped the demon's head cleanly off. Holding Blackbeard's head in his hand he ordered the demon's body overboard and looked toward theRanger andJane.

"Brand, take command of theQueen Anne's," he ordered. "We'll will sweep around and assist theRanger andJane and finally end this."

"Aye, aye."

——

Somehowin the mist of the battle Calico Jack found himself separated from his sister. Bodies were strewn across the deck and Jack suffered multiple minor cuts. Between enemies and strikes Jack stole glances around the deck until he finally caught sight of his sister.

Rusalka stood on the bowsprit fighting against a group of five. She held the higher ground but she also had no escape but to the water below. Jack could see the confidence on her face and knew she was fine—at least for the moment but theRanger wasn't faring as well.

TheRadiantDiscord had slide alongside theRanger and was continually pelting the smaller vessel. In no time the sloop, taking too much damage, slowly sank into the bay. Those of the crew that didn't go down with the vessel were shot by the crew aboard theDiscord.

12