The Bonding Chronicles Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She tried to fight her own grin, but lost the battle as she saw the excitement in Andrew's eyes. He was insane, and she was terrified of the countless dangers his plan presented, but as she saw his face and witnessed his joy, her own excitement swelled up, overshadowing all other emotion.

Karen forced her mouth back into a grimace, though Andrew could see the smile that rested within the contours of her eyes, and just shook his head before returning to his work.

Two hundred years was not enough time to prepare Karen for Andrew, or the magical bond that they shared. All past loves seemed like a pittance against the wealth of adoration she felt every moment she was with him and Sara. Their family had become, much to her amazement and joy, the central core of her being. Everything she wanted, anything she could crave was directed from, and ultimately towards that family she had lucked her way into.

She knew with a level of certainty unavailable to Andrew and Sara the depths of devotion the bond had instilled within her. Their lives had been remarkably untouched by love, both of her young companions having endured their lives in stoic isolation, either by choice or by happenstance. Karen, with her sea of experience, recognized how much her own perception had been changed by the magical connection they all shared.

Part of her wanted to resent what had been done to her, but as she watched Andrew through pensive glances in the rearview mirror, she only found happiness and worry. Joy at the life they had started to build, and excitement for the future, which for the first time in several lifetimes seemed bright. Yet she could not shake the deep concern she held over the dangers that she feared would constantly find them. She admired Andrew, and how much he had grown, but worried for his safety, suspecting that he was still clouded by the perception of invincibility that came with youth.

There was a dark and ornate stain on the cuff of his long-sleeve shirt, a perfect rendition of the defense-ward that he had placed on Tani'm's armor. She could not see them, but knew he had placed a similar ward on his pants, shoes, socks — anything and everything that may find their way into the wolf's frightening maw.

Karen had attempted to persuade Andrew that his plan was folly, not wanting to risk his life, but at the same time she knew that Sara, Tani'm and Thunderfoot were all in imminent danger. Her throat clenched at the thought of losing Sara, and her eyes diverted from the road for a second, settling on a plum that sat on the passenger seat, a single large bite taken out of the pristine looking fruit's flesh.

"You can drop the ward, Andrew," she declared towards the back seat.

She could almost hear the grin on his face as he responded, "Are you sure? Seems kinda' like you still don't think this'll work."

"Get out of my head, you seductive little man!"

They both laughed, though Karen knew he was right, and kind of loved the fact that he was already aware of how she felt.

Her eyes kept darting back to the plum, the fruit's existence reminding her of just why Andrew was so confident in his plan. She could still taste the sweet nectar that had washed over her senses as she had taken the bite, its juices almost pouring down her chin as she tried to slurp up all of the fruit's overflowing bounty.

"I have no doubt the spells will work, your delicious demonstration has proven that, but whether you have the strength to perform this miracle is where my anxiety rests."

Andrew's arms and back were getting sore, and as he leaned back on his legs, stretching out his body as best he could, he gazed towards Karen. For the first time since they started their journey, she could see doubt in his bearing, a slight weariness seeping through the cracks of his false bravado.

"I have no idea if this'll work, but life without you or Sara in it is not an option, so I have to try."

He looked down at his hands, his fingers shaking slightly as he considered everything that could go wrong. Karen missed the confidence she had seen from him just a moment before, and was reminded of just how strange and terrifying their situation was. She had lived through more conflict and social upheaval than anyone ever should, a fact that helped her to control and focus herself as she navigated her way through these recent developments.

Seeing Andrew's concern bubble up forced Karen to confront something that Andrew's wisdom and intellect often hid — he was still a teenager, and was just trying to find his way in life when he had been thrown head first into this amazing and terrifying world of magic.

Just as quickly, he rested his hands on his legs and looked up, smiling at her through the rearview mirror.

"It'll work," he said, the remainder of his statement going unspoken, though Karen heard it just the same; "If it doesn't work, it won't matter, 'cause we'll all be dead."

The cracks in his facade had blended back over, leaving her young mate resplendent in his excitement as he looked around the car interior and mentally ensured that everything had been prepared. He bounced on his knees a couple of times as he came to the conclusion that he was as ready as he could be.

Andrew raised his gaze, and it was as if he was looking at Karen for the first time. Adoration washed across his face as he sighed, Karen's fluffy and curly dark brown hair framing her face and reminding him of how lucky he was.

"I'm sorry, honey. I've been so consumed by everything with Sara that I've totally neglected how this is affecting you. How're you doing?"

Had Andrew not said anything, Karen would never have realized how little attention he had paid her since Sara's near death experience earlier that night, and now that he had, she was forced to admit that they had worked equally well towards that end. Every action they performed worked towards the common goal of saving their wayward mate, and it was only in that moment of silence that they were afforded the chance to realize how consumed they had become.

"I'm trying to focus on what I can do to help, and... I don't know."

She took a breath, the cool night air ushering in the cold of winter and the mournfully short days that season brought with it. Usually that meant long nights of reading and cooking, two of her favorite activities, but those thoughts were lost as her mind raced back to Sara, and the reason they found themselves on the road.

Death had been a solemn and perpetual companion for Karen on her journey through life, and despite all those years and the loss she had been forced to endure, she was no better at dealing with it. Again, she found herself contemplating the unthinkable, realizing that if something were to happen to Sara she was not sure if she would be able to recover.

So much of life had become easier as time went on, the edge taken from most things. Fears which once threatened to overwhelm her approached on weak legs, their bite having been dulled by experience. It also meant that the rush of excitement at a first kiss, or exhilaration of a new experience were almost lost to her. But, the one thing that affected her more deeply each and every time she was forced to endure it was death. Her friends and lovers cast to the harsh hands of time, where they would rise to great heights, before falling and succumbing to the inevitable.

Andrew's hand on her shoulder shook her from those dark thoughts, her mind having drifted down a deep and spiraling abyss of sorrow. He was warm, and his affection was felt in every soft squeeze of his firm grip. She blinked away the tears she had failed to realize were building up in her eyes and running down her cheeks, her body driving while her mind fell into darkness.

"Sorry," Karen stated through broken breath, her emotions slow to come under her control. "I really don't know what I'll do if this doesn't work."

Andrew kissed her on the side of the head before falling back onto the bench seat, his hand still resting on her shoulder. With a deep breath Karen recentered herself, realizing she had not lost control of her emotions like that in nearly a century. Andrew's affect on her was growing, and as she struggled to fight back her sorrow, she was forced to wonder if perhaps in that way he had made her worse, and not better.

They remained like that for a couple more minutes, until Karen pulled off on the side of the road, the car's lights vanishing just as the engine went silent. She wanted to jump over the seat, wrap Andrew in her arms and vanish into his embrace. His fingers dug into her flesh as her desires built up, only to soften a moment later as they both realized the futility of those fantasies.

She turned her head and kissed his hand, whispering, "Later."

Andrew caressed her cheek, and for the first time she pushed her face into his fingers, the act feeling somehow appropriate. They both sighed and fought their desires, exiting the car and rounding to the back, where they lifted the hatch revealing the small arsenal from Andrew's parents' secret stash, the two scarecrows Andrew had build on their journey, a black backpack, and the axe Andrew had used earlier that night for his demonstration.

Karen was silent, fighting the urge to beg him to stay. Knowing that if he did stay they would certainly lose Sara, and that if he left she could lose them both. She was stoic, her body unmoving as she distracted herself by studying his actions.

The tactical gear was complex and impressive, requiring a lot of adjustment for Andrew's size, though he cinched and secured the shoulder, belt and leg straps with a quick efficiency that made it seem as if he had done it a thousand times before. Once it was secure, he attached the knife to one hip, and his father's sidearm to the other — realizing that the weapon would do little against the wolf, but knowing he would rather have it and go down fighting, than not have it and lose even one chance to get a lucky shot.

Then he slotted the two extra M16 magazines into straps which were designed to hold them, and socketed an extra magazine for the pistol, leaving the other three, which the weight he was already carrying dissuaded him from even considering. He then bound the two scarecrows together with a length of rope, before putting on the backpack and shouldering the M16.

Karen reached out then, pulling Andrew into her arms and kissing him deeply. He was almost ready, and she knew it. Their kiss was earth shattering, every ounce of fear and anticipation pouring into the brief but memorable act. It only lasted a moment, but they separated with a gasp, each of them shaking from the countless words that neither of them had the strength to speak.

"I'll be back," Andrew stated, causing Karen to chuckle at the knowledge that he had chosen his words carefully.

Andrew reached over and grabbed the scarecrows with one hand, and the axe with the other, turning towards the forest and taking a deep breath before he took off with unexpected speed. He vanished into the trees like an antelope, the forest swallowing the small man.

The words, "I love you," reached out through the foliage, and Karen held on to the sound of his voice for as long as she could, hoping that it would not be the last thing she would ever hear him say.

She slammed the hatch of the S.U.V. closed, and climbed back into the driver's seat before turning on the radio. They had agreed she would wait there, ready to join them once the wolf had been dealt with, recognizing that her presence could only serve to distract them from what had to be done.

A man's voice was rattling away on the radio as she settled into the seat, her exhale declaring her anxiety as she leaned her head back.

"... and the forest service has warned hikers and hunters to avoid going into the forest alone."

There was a brief pause and then a recording started, the speaker stern and his voice solemn.

"This man is lucky to be alive, and we are taking every step to try and deal with this threat before more people are attacked." The sound of a few clamoring voices was heard in the background, shouting almost unintelligible questions before the man began speaking again, "Listen, you need to allow us to handle this, and don't go taking matters into your own hands. If you'd like to help, please contact our office, otherwise, just stay at home and out of the forest until we can track down and pacify this rogue bear."

The recording cut off and the DJ came back on air, "There you have it folks, ..."

Whatever else the radio personality had to say was lost to Karen, who shook her head and changed the station, eager to find some music to distract her from everything that was happening out in the forest. Her eyes looked over and fell upon the apple that rested in the passenger seat, the lone bit taken from its flesh reminding her of Andrew and his insane plan.

"This better work," she stated as the music swelled up in the cab of the vehicle, doing nothing to distract her from her mountain of worry.

***** A Mighty Boom *****

The forest that had sheltered Tani'm and Sara for most of their lives had lost its protective warmth, and the waning full moon gave light to the fears that prowled in the shadows. Sara had began their sprint in optimistic spirits, but the difficulty of carrying Thunderfoot, and the dark suspicions of the mighty wolf began to weigh on her. What began as furtive glances as they jumped and dodged felled trees and thick brush became prolonged stares as the agile woman studied their surroundings.

Tani'm did not know Sara well, but had sensed in the strong woman the same deep love and respect for the forest that they both called home. It was through Sara's behavior that she realized her own perception of the forest had changed, the dark places which had once felt so safe, now seemed to hide terrible beasts, fear of the wolf seeping into every shifting shadow.

At first they knew they were just being paranoid, but after almost fifteen minutes of having to move at a fraction of the speed they were capable of, they could feel a shift in their environment. It was nothing they could see or hear, but a feeling that built up deep inside of them, reaching out from the back of their minds and screaming at them of terrible danger.

They stopped, Tani'm still holding her hatchet and knife, the weight of her steel blade feeling odd and yet somehow comforting. Sara was drenched in sweat, her chest rising and falling in slow controlled breaths, the night air cool enough to make her feel good, but not quite cold enough to cause steam to rise from her sleek and slender body. Thunderfoots heart jackhammered against her as he struggled against the same dread that had built up within his companions.

Everyone turned their heads and studied their environment for the longest seconds of their lives, just long enough to confirm that their instincts had been correct. It didn't take much, just the sound of two stones scraping against each other to give truth to their worry, and that single subtle noise might as well have been a gunshot, declaring the continuation of their retreat.

The noise had come from ahead of them and off to the side of their path, causing Sara and Tani'm to shift their course ever so slightly in hopes of avoiding whatever fresh trap the wolf had devised. They were resolved to not make the same mistakes they had fallen into so many times before, the stiff remains of Sara's wounded shoulder reminding her of the price she had already paid.

Tani'm no longer felt the need to keep quiet, and whispered to Sara, "We're almost there."

Fatigue was evident on Sara's face, her natural strength was almost enough to allow her to carry the three foot tall, hundred pound ball of furry muscle, but not quite. Her gift had been helping her accomplish her task, and she could feel her magical reserves depleting. The feeling of her pool of radiant energy roiling deeping within her was a welcome reminder of how much her life had changed, and It surprised her how something so new had become second nature in such a short time, though it concerned her how weak it felt, the once mighty forces that stormed within her a timid cloud of swirling energy.

"How long?" she asked, her voice a strained whisper as she jumped a couple of feet into the air and bounded off of a recently fallen tree.

The sight was impressive, Thunderfoot's broad antlers making the scene seem all the more impossible as Tani'm watched, before she too leapt up. Unlike Sara, she used her hands to guide her shoulder onto the top of the log, where she rolled across the rough surface of the once mighty tree before dropping to the bottom and landing in a sprint, where she was immediately joined by Sara as they continued their journey.

"A couple of minutes."

They chanced a glance at each other, the concern in Sara's eyes was shadowed only by her fatigue, and the unspoken message was not lost on Tani'm, who realized just how much of a toll ferrying Thunderfoot had been on her.

It was in that moment that the jackalope began to jerk and tussle within Sara's arms, the rabbit's eyes wide and unblinking as it stared off ahead of them, sweeping from side to side, sensing that something was out of place but unable to identify what. Sara tried to spot what the rabbit had missed, but was unable to see anything strange or dangerous within their path.

They continued to run, Sara looking over at Tani'm who studied the rolling and wild land that sprawled out before them. Everything was cast in silvery tones of broken moon light that cascaded and danced between the clouds far above, filtering through the leaves of the forest and attempting to play tricks on their eyes. The joy of their forest may have been hidden from them, but the sight of the land shrouded in shadow was a familiar thing to Sara and Tani'm, who through their various gifts saw their surroundings with supernatural clarity.

Unfortunately, Tani'm was forced to admit, that gave her no help. Everything was as it had always been, life and death playing a perpetual game through the nursing logs and moss covered terrain. Thunderfoot began to chortle, his anxiety reaching a fevered pitch, and Tani'm was forced to accept that the rabbit sensed something they could not. After all, how many times had the rabbit saved her life from stepping into one of the wolf's traps?

She slowed her pace, Sara immediately following suit as the small woman reconsidered their surroundings. There had to be something, the wolf could have easily gotten ahead of them — unencumbered as it was — but it would not have had time to properly prepare a place to hide. It would have needed to find something it could blend into, something large and inconspicuous. So much of that night had gone terribly wrong, and as she scanned their surroundings she realized why.

Tani'm had failed to heed the lessons of history, allowing her anger and desire for vengeance to cloud her judgement. Thinking back upon her other encounters with the fearsome beast, she saw a pattern which now seemed obvious, and almost immediately spotted where the creature was hiding.

Thirty yards ahead, just beside a tall stump, rested the nursing log that had taken root where the corpse of the tree now rested. Besides the trap laid earlier that night, the wolf had always taken the guise of a log, the size and shape perfect for blending in, and she guessed it was easier for the wolf to maintain. The problem was, this log was longer than it should be, the bottom part of it resting upon the rich earthy mulch that had formed from where the tree had already began to fall apart and decay.

She slapped her knife wielding hand against the rune just under her other arm, careful not to stab herself as she ran, and as the arcane symbol came to life with green ethereal light, she stated, "No matter what happens, keep running. The clearing's straight ahead."