The Boy Ch. 02

Story Info
Alice goes to school.
6.9k words
4.14
4k
1
0

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/01/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks, Tigerssman for help in editing.

*****

Many years later, Alice was starting to look at schools to start college.

She found out the reporter had been transferred to San Francisco.

She called the reporters office, "Can I talk to your chief writer please? My name is Alice, the deaf girl who fell off the train platform when she was a young writer."

The receptionist said, "Sorry Miss, she is in an important meeting."

Alice said, "I will call her tomorrow, my number is xxx-xxxx. Can you give her the message for me please?"

The receptionist said I got a message from a lady by the name of Alice, she said she was a deaf girl when you were a young writer.

The reporter said, "What is her number?"

The receptionist said, "I thought she was a crank, I threw the message out." She was increasingly ill at ease.

The writer said to the receptionist, "Let me get this straight, your job is to take messages for people, yet you got a message complete with a phone number for me, and you take it upon yourself to throw the message away? Would you do the same for any board members? How do you plan on getting her phone number? She may only be here a day or two."

The receptionist said, "She said she would call back tomorrow,"

The writer said, "If I don't have that number by close of business tomorrow, I will have no choice but to report this event to one of your bosses."

The receptionist was rattled so she went to a local pub to commiserate with the bartender.

The bartender said, "Wait, did you say Alice? I guess she is old enough to start looking for schools now."

"It was her first story, a five-day series, her bosses did not think she had the chops to be a writer so she was on a rocky road to begin with. It was Christmas time and the train platforms were packed. Alice twisted her ankle and fell off the platform, the train came to a halt mere feet from her, and she almost hit the third rail."

"There were two people on the platform who could sign. They vowed to stay by her side. It led to colleges making sign language classes across the nation. It was proclaimed 'Story of the year' by the paper. It didn't get awards because the writer was too young. You better pray you can get that phone number."

The receptionist thought, "What was with this woman that drew such a strong emotion at just hearing her name? She decided to read the stories on her next day off."

Alice decided to call late thinking the meetings would be earlier. Alice called at 4:45 PM, the writer was putting on her jacket, "Ma'am, Alice on line one."

Alice and the writer talked for an hour and then made plans for dinner.

As each were looking at the menu Alice said, "Would you think badly of me if I ordered Mary's favorite food, I never had it?"

The writer thought, "Mary, that was a name from the far past."

The writer said, "Certainly, in fact, I will have the same as you."

Alice laughed, "Dean did that one time. It is Prime rib with all the trimmings.

Let's call her, maybe we can get Dean on speakerphone."

After a few rings, Mary picked up the phone, "Hello."

Alice mischievously announced, "Mary, it's Alice, I am having dinner with an old friend, get Dean."

There was some small talk before the waiter came over for their order, "The writer said the order loud enough for Mary to hear it. "Prime rib with the best trimmings for both of us please."

Dean broke up laughing.

Mary said, "Alice, I'm going to send a complaint to Santa, you will not be on the 'Nice list' this year. Who is your friend?"

Alice said, "She is the reporter from long ago. I am in California to check out some colleges. I'm not sure what major I want yet so I am taking out majors I don't want to do."

" You need to do something you are passionate about. Dean would agree with me that you have a very caring heart. Once you got out of your isolation, you wanted to give as much of yourself to others as you could. Perhaps, nursing would be too much, with all those life and death decisions."

Alice said, "How are your little ones Mary?"

Mary said, "Not so little anymore, they are at the 'You don't know anything' stage."

Alice said, "I think I might phone ahead and make an appointment with the Dean of studies."

At the meeting with the Dean of studies Alice laid everything out.

"Dean, I really don't know what major to pick so I was hoping you can help me. I have some requirements that will narrow the search drastically.

I must be on a campus that has my sorority on it, us sisters should stick together."

The Dean said, "What events in your life have shaped you into the woman you are today?"

Alice said, "Well I was born deaf, so hearing my Mom's voice for the first time was a big deal for me. When I was very young I was inducted into my sorority; they were so accepting of me. I felt included with something, and they even helped with speech therapy and elementary education so I could catch up with my peers."

The Dean said, "What about religion?"

"I never been a church goer, but I am not against it. I want to work with people, not move papers from one basket to another."

The Dean said, "Being deaf when you were growing up will give you insight that many of us do not have. Speech therapy, teacher for deaf children, being a missionary to deaf children. However, I don't know if you want to go back to the deaf world again.

"I know across the country mainstream teachers are in short supply. The pay sucks.

"You don't seem to me as a 'Behind the Pulpit' kind of person, more of a one on one or small group person."

When the meeting was over, Alice had more questions than she ever had. She had to call Mary, "Mary, why am I screwed up about this? I wish Mom was still here."

Mary said, "Why are you talking to me? You should be talking to the one person who knows you better than you know yourself."

Alice commented, "Mary, Mom passed last year, who else is there? . . . Matron. Do you think she would help?"

Mary said, "Is that a rhetorical question?"

Alice laughed, "I guess so, I love you Mary. Bye."

Soon Alice was talking to Matron, "Matron what should I do? My world came crashing down when Mom died. I want to dedicate my education to her so I don't want to screw it up."

Matron said, "Since you are having a hard time finding you passion, let's try a different tack. What were your raw emotional needs you had when you were here at school?"

Alice said, "Number one was hearing Mom's voice. Once I got my implants, I wanted to be included in things and to be accepted; you guys were great with that. That shopping trip was so special that I decided not to get another charm."

Matron said, "Does that mean you want to do something to makes people feel included and accepted? How do you want to do that? Would it be something like when Dean showed Sister God?"

Alice said, "That was real nice, but I don't think I want to be a preacher. Mary said I may not want to be a nurse because of life and death decisions."

Matron said, "Do you want to be a counselor type and help both adults and children or just children? Maybe a teacher, to inspire the little ones?"

Alice said, "I never thought about that, everyone needs help. Find a good group to go through school with and form a practice when we are done. Do you know the best one of our colleges for counseling?"

Matron said, "I do know one of our schools that is in the top ten in the nation in that particular major."

Alice said, "No way."

Matron said, "Way, should I put a mint on the pillow for you?"

Alice said, "Matron, you are the best. I love you. I got to call Mary with the news."

When Alice called Mary with a squeal so loud, Mary had to hold the phone at arm's length. Mary had to wait until Alice ran out of breath.

Dean walked into the room saying, "Someone talked to Matron."

Alice said, "Mary, you were so right. She went right into my soul by asking about my emotional needs when I was there. It turns out that counseling will be my major; and they are in the nation's top ten."

Mary was jumping up and down so much she dropped the phone. Dean picked it off the floor.

Once word got out about Alice starting school, the testimonials poured in from all her sister alum.

The most effective one was not even a testimonial. It was from the audiologist, and just said observations from when she helped her get her implants. It would be too emotional for many to handle. It had been over a decade, but most were there during that time.

An acceptance letter was sent out immediately.

Alice knew it would take zero time for her sisters to find out she had special status. From the rush's point of view, they might think Alice took their spot.

Alice ordered an 'I love you My Sisters'' print in the sorority colors.

The rushes were in a pickle, for they did not like the fact that Alice was a sister, but Alice was a sister; and treating a sister poorly would disqualify you from the start. Many could not figure that out, and were asked to leave. The wash out rate was twice as normal.

For her part, Alice never said a bad word about anyone. Around 8:00 PM, Alice would get into her running clothes and go on runs.

The wilily Matron knew exactly what was happening and had a look of sadness whenever she left. Alice came back either exhausted or just before curfew.

One night all the officers came to Matron to ask about Alice, "Matron we don't get Alice. She never gets mad at anyone, but she goes on these mysterious walks at night that she does not want to talk about. We are worried about her."

Matron said, "You are right to do so. She was born deaf so she quickly learned sign language; she goes out on her walks so she can sign her frustrations away. On the days,

she comes home exhausted probably means she was signing at triple speed and everything is sore.

"She hasn't known any of you long enough to call you a good friend. I have known her for over a decade so I am only one of the few friends she has here. Her mother died last year and she hasn't worked past it yet."

"When she called me to ask what major she should get in, I gently led her to our best major."

The President said, "Matron I must say you do not play fair, if she was a rush she would have my vote. Those people who washed out because they were constantly rude to her just didn't measure up to our standard of excellence. Their rudeness was all on them, not Alice." Every single hand was raised in agreement to the statement.

The next day, the President knocked on Alice's door, Mary's old room. "Alice, all of the officers talked to Matron last night because we were all worried about you. She said you went out on your walks so you could sign away all your frustrations."

"I would like it if you would consider me as a friend, someone that you can talk to. I would even be willing to learn to sign if you are more comfortable with that. After all, we can't have you traipsing around outside when there is a foot of snow out there."

Alice ran into the President's arms, sobbing as she gave her a hug. "I would like that; these past two weeks have been very hard on me. I had to find a way to cope without yelling at everything."

The President said, "Alice, if you were a rush, you would have gotten a unanimous vote, a rare event. All those people who were worried you may steal their spot had no worries. Their own actions showed they didn't fit with this sorority. We are OK with having a smaller freshman class.

"Now tell me, what's going on with you?"

It was like an emotional dam burst. All the President could do was to hold Alice like a Mother held her child. She couldn't believe everything Alice was telling her.

The President saw Matron as she was leaving Alice's room. Matron just said three words, "In the Vault."

The President said, "Yes ma'am, you have my word."

As Alice got into the flow of classes she made more friends and she got into a good study group for her major. She was a brilliant student. She always asked that extra insightful question. She made her whole study group better. She taught them to think about things in different ways.

One night Alice and her study group were out to dinner at a local restaurant. Suddenly a few tables away a woman found out both of her child's hearing aid batteries died at the same time. Just as a knee jerk reaction she started yelling and scolding him.

Alice walked over to the woman and asked, "May I be of assistance to you?"

The woman said, "Apparently, something happened to his hearing aids. We just adopted him, we can't read lips or sign. This was our celebratory dinner."

Alice said, "Waitress, three waters here please."

Alice said, "Ma'am, yelling at someone who is deaf only adds fear into the situation; and it was not his fault if his hearing aids malfunctioned. Please drink some water and take a big breath, I think I can help you."

When Alice started to sign, the boy was visibly relieved. Soon the boy was showing his hearing aids to Alice.

Alice said, "Well here is one problem, these batteries are inferior."

Alice took one of her own batteries out and put it in one of his.

Alice said, "Can you hear me; what happened?"

The boy smiled and nodded his head

The boy said, "I don't know, all of the sudden I couldn't hear."

Alice took a pad of paper and a pen from her purse.

Alice said, "Here is the name of my audiologist. I would get him re-tested, maybe get a better hearing aid, have those tested. This is the kind of batteries I use. Lastly, here is the address of my sorority; I am going to teach some sisters how to sign. You are welcome to join, bring your son so he can teach you."

The study group was stunned, they would have never have guessed that Alice was deaf.

When Alice got back to her table she said, "You must talk a little clearer and louder now. I am only monotone now and you are muffled somewhat."

One of the study group members said, "How did you know your battery would work?"

Alice said, "I didn't, but it saved a lot of time in signing. Being deaf makes you think about things in many ways. I was deaf when I met Matron, I taught her how to sign."

One of the group said, "Alice, do you think if we have a problem in group we can switch to sign to see if we can think about it better? I assume you really need to know how to say things when you sign, being concise I mean."

Alice said, "We can try, for anyone who would want to learn."

Just before the first class was to arrive, there was a small fire in the loft. Alice ran over and hit the panic button. The system had not been in use for years, but police and fire arrived in minutes. Everyone was outside watching the fire. Alice was hugging Matron and she was convulsing tears. The President looked on helpless.

The firemen knew of the importance of the loft, especially to Alice, they wanted to save as much as possible. Since the fire was small, they decided to use foam so damage would be at a minimum.

Alice took several pictures of the loft and texted Dean and Mary and said, "I don't want to go in there until you are here."

The next morning, Dean and Mary arrived with their two children.

Alice bolted out the front door, "Dean... Mary I have such a hole in my soul without you."

This remark caught Matron off guard, she grabbed the arms of Mary and the President, and whispered a favor, both nodded in agreement then they joined Dean and Alice in the loft.

Most of the damage was to the two doors that had to be chopped open.

Dean said, "Alice, if you see anything that is of sentimental value to you, please take it.

There is so little damage it should clean up quickly."

Alice saw Dean's laptop sitting in the corner, "Dean, you need to take the cover from that laptop."

When the President saw that, a lot of things clicked; Mary must have had one just like it with Dean's name on it. The poster on her door was in honor of both and their importance to Alice. That is why Matron put Alice in Mary's room, to be with familiar things.

Mary picked up some framed pictures of herself.

Alice said, "Dean, is it all right if I take that or would you like to have it?" She was pointing to a small scrapbook.

Dean said, "You take it dear, I will scan it before I leave. Then I can always have it with me."

Alice beamed when she heard that, she cradled the book in her arms.

After everything was searched through and each person collected their items, Mary took the car keys and said, "OK you three, time for a road trip."

Soon they were at the gravesite of Alice's Mom.

Mary said, "Miss President, we invited you here because you are the new generation for Alice's friends. Dean, Matron and I are the older generation."

"Alice, would you like to say something to your Mom? Then we can hold hands and have some prayer time."

Alice kneeled down in the mud and hugged the tombstone, broke down and said, "Mommy I miss you so much. I'm going to school here and I have Mary's old room. Dean, Mary and a new friend are here with me. All my grades are dedicated to you. I would have never been who I am without you."

Everyone circled the tombstone and held hands as Dean said a very solemn prayer.

After Dean and Mary left, Alice let the President read the scrapbook. After which she turned to Alice and held her arms wide open.

She said, "Here is the thing Alice, you are not a deaf child who almost had something horrific happen to her. You are a strong, very bright, woman who makes everyone around her to be a better person. I knew that almost as soon as I met you. Half this campus knows that, and the other half should know that.

"During 'Rush week' the only people who said anything bad about you were the people who did not belong here. I might have broken a couple of noses.

"Your Mom is right here in your heart, she never left you, nor will she ever leave you. Use her for motivation for good. I feel honored to be your friend. I will be right here for you, anytime."

During the night, several of the heavy weights that were crushing Alice disappeared. The healing process had started.

It wasn't hard for all the sisters to see the difference in Alice at breakfast. She had a twinkle in her eye, she was standing straighter than she had before. That twinkle was Mom showing through Alice's soul saying, "This is my daughter everyone, we are one!"

That twinkle was captivating for all who saw it. Some envied Alice because she had it and they didn't.

After the second tests were returned for her major, the top five students were the five students in Alice's study group.

The house had Dean upgrade the entire security systems and made the necessary payments. The house was fortunate that the school required fire to have service no matter what.

Dean had a long talk with the sisters as to how things worked, where cameras were and how and where the panic buttons were located. They showed where the problem was. It would save time in searching for people, thus saving lives.

He used an air horn to simulate the siren on the unsuspecting sisters. Dean said, "As far as I know, we only had one attempted break in, in such a case, the police remotely lock all exterior doors. Laser beams are activated, for every beam you break that siren will go off.

"Most of the police force was waiting outside waiting for a beam to be broken. I'm not going to tell you where the beams are, suffice it to say, this is the most secure house on campus."

Soon thereafter, the signing classes started. The proclamation of 'Boy on the Floor' was highly unusual. Down in the common room a little boy and his parents were being welcomed. Soon Alice's study group came. This was more than was expected so furniture was moved to the common room.

The President was glad she could have another way to help her friend. Matron was glad for the refresher course. Most of the sisters did not want to learn to sign.

12