The Brass Ring

Story Info
A bus trip. . .
15.9k words
4.47
22.5k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One spring evening, Clark was sitting by the fireplace with his twin five year old daughters, Sarah and Amy. His wife, Marie, was just coming into the room. She sat next to him and put Amy in her lap. Clark did the same with Sarah.

Sarah said "Tell us the story again, Daddy."

"Alright. Do you girls know what it means when someone grabs the brass ring?"

"Yes, it means they get a really special prize," Amy added.

"OK. Once upon a time, there was a very pretty princess named Marie. She was riding a bus to Iowa when she met a mean, ugly prince named Clark. He was. . ."

"Stop it, Daddy!" Sarah interrupted.

"Yeah! Tell it the right way!" Amy declared.

:"I can't get anything past these two, Marie. OK, girls. Here we go again."Once upon a time, there was a very pretty princess named Marie. She was riding a bus to Iowa when she met a handsome prince named Clark. . ." He was telling them the G-rated version of the story of how he and Marie met and married.

The story began one day, when Clark got on the eastbound bus headed to nowhere in particular. His only certain destination was Ottumwa, Iowa and then to Northern Missouri to the home of his college roommate. He thought about getting off at any interesting place and having a look around and then proceeding at his leisure. He was the first on board and staked a place in the middle of the bus. At the stop in Reno, a pretty young woman got on. She made her way down the aisle, looking around for an agreeable place to sit. Clark smiled at her.

And she smiled sweetly and said "Hi. Mind if I sit here with you?" She smiled at this attractive man with a warm smile.

"Not at all. It will be a pleasure to have a pretty lady to talk to on the trip."

She smiled again and said "Thank you." She sat fairly close to him.

"Where are you headed?" he asked.

"Ottumwa, Iowa. I was in Reno interviewing for a teaching job. I give violin lessons at home."

"That's an amazing coincidence. I'm headed to Ottumwa, too."

"Oh?"

"I'm going to visit my college roommate, Will, and his significant other in Missouri. He's picking me up in Ottumwa. I'm visiting for two weeks.

"Where does he live?"

"On the outskirts of Memphis. Her father left her a few acres and they decided to settle there. I have his number and address written down in my suitcase. What kind of teaching job were you interested in?"

"Teaching music at a high school. I went to the University of Iowa in Iowa City and graduated with a Masters in music. I was first violin in my senior year and during grad school. I was even considered by Julliard."

"Impressive. Being considered by Julliard is a high compliment. My name's Clark."

They gently shook hands.

"I'm Marie." Their conversation ended there for a time. For most of the next hour, she gazed out the window and he read a book. She broke the silence.

"What are you reading?"

"It is a historical novel. My friend Will recommended it. He and I like history." We went to college together in Oregon. We were a couple crazy archaeology majors.

"That sounds very interesting! What kind of work do you do?"

"Historical archaeology. I work for a small company in Northern California.

"What made you decide to come to Missouri to see him?"

"I've never seen this part of the country and I called him and when I told him I was taking two weeks vacation, he invited me to stay with them. I needed a break from work and I wanted to see him and Adele again. He said there are a lot of pretty women there. I think I've already met the prettiest one."

"Thank you, Clark. That's sweet. Would you mind if I got some sleep now? I've had a long day."

"Pleasant dreams! See ya' in the morning!" She slept and he read some more. He also looked at her face and gazed at her beautiful hair and hands. She stirred and her face had a look of mild discomfort. She repositioned herself and seemed to get more comfortable and she leaned in his direction. She laid her head on his shoulder. He put his arm around her. She seemed to be more content. She slept more and he gazed some more. Her liked her face the longer he looked at it. This is crazy! I'm not a college kid anymore. I'm sitting here with my arm around a woman I don't even knowand I feel like I'm in love. She's got great hair, lovely hands. . .she's lovely in every way but I don't really know anything about her and I'm afraid I won't see her again. I'd love to hold her hand and kiss her and hold her close and make love with her but rushing into things could cause me a lot of grief. I should sleep. My brain is definitely tired. He rested his head on hers and slept soundly until he heard her say "What time is it?"

"Let me look." There was just enough light to see his watch. "7:15."

"Already?" she said. We just met and already we're sleeping together."

"She's pretty and funny, too." The bus turned off the highway and pulled into the Salt Lake City depot.

"Marie, Let me buy you breakfast. After all, we slept together and it would seem to be the respectful and gentlemanly thing to do. I don't want you to think that I think of you as just a one night stand."

"I accept your offer. I can't seem to find my money. I'll pay you back when I find it."

"You're covered for breakfast. This way looks productive." He touched the small of her back and directed them both toward the sign over the coffee shop door.

"When you said that you didn't think of me as a one night stand, I knew you were kidding but please don't think that I am the kind of girl who sleeps around."

"I know you're not! I can tell! I trust what you say about your sexual habits. I don't know much about you but my impression is that you have your head screwed on straight. I also want you to know I think you are quite bright and articulate and you have a voice that is sweeter to hear than any piece of classical music I have ever heard. Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms would all be envious! You should share all that with a man who appreciates all those things and not just sex."

"Thank you, Clark." She kissed him on the cheek. "Do you mean a man like you, Clark?" He touched her back again. She stopped and said "I know this seems crazy but I want to kiss you. He held her at the waist and they shared a deep, meaningful kiss.

"Wow! That kiss bought you breakfast AND dinner."

"Clark, I want you to know that this trip has been a pleasure so far. You seem to be a very nice guy but please don't . . . I don't know. . . We might not see each other again and I would like to see you again . . . I was hurt in college when my boyfriend took off and married another girl. If we got involved how do I know you won't leave me too? You'll be going back to California soon and. . . "

"I'm content to share this bus ride and maybe we can see each other again. We're a long way from being involved and you might get to know me and find out I'm really an ogre and run away. Seriously, I can't give you any guarantee except my word. I hope you are never hurt again. I know what it's like. I was hurt like that too. She was beautiful and seemed devoted but the star quarterback took some interest in her and she suddenly treated me like a poor relation. Will and Adele helped me through it. They're the people I'm visiting. It'll be good to see them again. I will be in Missouri long enough to spare some time away from them Adele. Maybe I can borrow their car and drive up and see the area where you live and Ottumwa. I'd like nothing better than to spend a day with you. After all Ottumwa is the home of Radar O'Reilly! How often will I get a chance to meet such a famous war hero?!"

She laughed and said "I doubt you will see him but who knows. If you can visit for a day, I'll show you around."

"I'd like that. To see the heartland escorted by one of its prettiest ladies! Sounds like a slice of heaven to me!"

"I like it when you call me pretty." Breakfast arrived and they ate quickly.

"We should be going. Our silver chariot will be departing in about fifteen minutes."

They paid the check and quickly bought some sandwiches, sodas, and chocolate milk for lunch. The bus left about five minutes after they got back.

They took their original seats and they turned to face each other. "Tell me more about college. How did you meet Will?"

"He was my roommate. I got to the dorm and was escorted to my room by the resident manager and there was Will. We shook hands and have been best friends ever since." He took a breath and gazed at the light over his seat. "Will and I spent a lot of time together studying hard and put in long hours. When we graduated, we both wanted to go to grad school. We did a joint project for our Master's thesis. Our faculty advisory committee was very impressed. We got good jobs because of it. We worked together for a while. Then he stayed in Oregon and I got a job with the federal government in California. I've had two jobs before this one. My current job is in one of the northernmost counties in California. I'm sorry that I don't have any sordid tales to tell you. Your turn. All I've got is the boring stuff. Tell me about you and Iowa."

"I was born in Kentucky. I started violin lessons when I was seven and we moved to Iowa the summer before I went to high school."

"That explains the accent."

"Yes. I had one boyfriend in high school. His name was William. I thought he was cute even though he was kind of nerdy. He had to quit school to help on his family's chicken ranch. We drifted apart and that was when I played the violin a lot. It helped me to avoid my sadness but I got to be pretty good at playing. I auditioned for the orchestra and was made first violin during my junior year. I was accepted by University of Iowa on a partial scholarship. I graduated in four years and my grad work was there, too. I almost got into Julliard. Boring you?"

"No. That's interesting to me. I love listening to you. I can't carry a tune in a bucket but I enjoy classical music very much. I've always been in awe of anyone who can play a musical instrument. Especially someone who can play it well and it sounds like you can."

"I could play for you sometime if you visit."

"I'd like to see you again. What's in Ottumwa for you?"

"I live with my mom and dad. Dad's a general contractor. Mom's always been a stay at home mom. They're pretty good parents. I love them a lot. What about your family? Have any girlfriends in California?"

"No girlfriends. I lost my dad about a year and a half ago, just after Will and Adele visited. He was a pretty good guy. I can remember most the times he took me fishing and playing catch with him. And we lost Mom about two years before that. She died of an unexpected heart attack. Dad and I were very surprised until I looked into her ancestry and found a family history of heart trouble."

Marie added "My dad took me fishing too but I never caught anything. I think I was too squeamish and probably too little to make a good fisherman."

Marie laid a sympathetic hand on his arm. "I'm sorry about your parents."

"Thank you, Marie. They were good ones. Will and Adele helped me a lot when Dad died. They're the best friends I could ask for and Sam, my boss has been like a big brother or a second dad.

"I'd like to meet them. We may have the chance at the bus stop."

"I'd like them to meet you, too." They chatted comfortably about everything and nothing. They learned that their political and religious views were very much alike.

Before they realized it, their trip was nearly over

The bus bumped over some railroad tracks and Marie stirred. She had dozed off for a short time.

"Where are we?" she asked.

"Next stop Ottumwa," he quietly said." It was about 7:30 in the evening on a Wednesday.

"Ottumwa already?"

"Yes. Home again."

"Marie I want to tell you something. I know this sounds silly but I want to tell you that I felt afraid that I might not see you again. Here's my address and number and Will's number and address. You're the best traveling companion I've ever had! I'd really want to see you again."

She took his pen and pad and wrote down her name, number and address. "I'd like that, too."

The bus stopped and Marie looked out the window and said "I don't see my parents."

"If you need a ride, I'm sure Will and Adele will be glad to give you a ride."

They got off the bus but he couldn't see Will or Adele but saw their car.

"There are my parents by the blue car." She waved and her father went to the trunk and opened it. When she got to them, she and her parents hugged.

She turned toward Clark and introduced them to him.

"Mom, Dad, this is Clark. We met on the bus. Clark, this is my Mom and Dad, Jane and Jim."

Jane's brow furrowed a bit. "Are you the Clark who was Will's college roommate?"

"Yes, I am. He was supposed to meet me here."

"They went to use the bathroom. We've been chatting with them while we were waiting. We see Adele's mother regularly but haven't seen Adele for ages. What a nice coincidence!"

He got their address out of his suitcase and showed it to them.

"That is just over the Iowa-Missouri boundary. Not far from us, about an hour and a half," Jim noted.

Will and Adele emerged from the depot. As he approached, Will called out "Hey Roomie! Over here!"

He and Will exchanged a vigorous handshake. Clark saw Adele. She said "Don't I rate a hello?"

They hugged and Clark loudly whispered to her so Will could hear "I keep telling you could do so much better than that old dirt-scraping buzzard!"

He introduced them to Marie. "You already know Jim and Jane. I met their pretty daughter, Marie, on the bus."

"Hi, Marie" Adele said "Don't believe anything those two say bad about the other. They're the best of friends!" Clark added "We three are the best of friends."

Adele hugged him again. "Yes, we three are the best of friends! Great to see you Clark!"

"What have you been up to, Will?"

"Scrappin' dirt! What did you think, Smart Aleck?"

I thought you and Adele might be married."

No. I think she is starting to believe that she can do much better! I told my boss you were coming and he wants to talk to you. We're having our county fair this Saturday. He will have an information table and you can meet him there. There'll be lots of food and things to do. Why don't you bring Marie?"

Great idea. Marie, would you like to join us?" Clark asked.

Mom , Dad, do you have any plans that require me?"

No. I think Will's idea sounds OK," Jim added.

OK. It does sound like fun."

Will put Clark's suitcase in the car. While they were busy with that, Adele told Marie, "Don't worry Marie, Clark's OK. I've known those two crazy guys for about 20 years, ever since college. It'll be fun."

Thanks, Adele."

Clark said "Goodbye for now. You are the best traveling companion I've ever had. Thank you for being so pretty and interesting." He kissed her on the cheek.

She watched as Clark walked away with one arm around Will and one around Adele.

"Call Me!" He turned around and said "Tomorrow." She continued to watch until they pulled out of the parking lot.

Jim took her suitcase and a piece of paper fell out of her hand. "What's this, Marie?"

She took it from him. "It is Clark's number in California."

They got in the car. Jane said "A kiss on the cheek? His number? That must have been some bus ride!"

"Oh Mother! It wasn't like that at all! He was a perfect gentleman!

"I think something happened," Jim said.

"And she is going to see him on Saturday!" Jane added.

"You two stop it! You're always trying to get me married!"

"You can't blame us for wanting our daughter to be happy, can you?"

Marie slept in the next day to recover from her bus ride. After unpacking, she had lunch and took a bath.

While she was in the bath the phone rang.

"Marie, Clark is on the phone. Are you available?" No sooner had Jane asked the question, Marie burst out of the bathroom, still wet and with a towel wrapped around her.

"Hi, Clark. How are you?"

"Rested. We stayed up and insulted each other half the night."

"You three seem to have fun together."

"Yes but I'm the most fun, Adele's second and what's-his-name is last."

In the background, she could hear Will say, "Hi Marie. Don't believe a thing he says! He's demented!"

"How are you, Marie?"

"Rested too. I just got out of the bath. That trip was more tiring than I thought but I feel much better now after a good night's sleep."

"Me, too. We were thinking we'd pick you up Saturday about ten. Will that be alright?"

"Sounds fine. What can I bring?"

"I'll let you talk to Adele. Here she is."

"Hi, Marie."

"Can I bring anything Saturday?"

"No. We'll have everything we need. We'll eat at the fair and have dinner here. It may be a long day so you are welcome to stay here. I promise to muzzle those two so we don't stay up all night!"

"OK. I'll see if Mom and Dad have anything planned. Put Clark back on, please."

Hi." she said. Clark I want you to know that we won't be sleeping together Saturday."

"Ok. They have two extra bedrooms. You'll be perfectly safe. Will said he'd put a bear trap outside my bedroom door if I have any libidinous ideas. May I have a hug and a goodnight kiss on the cheek?"

"You may have one kiss if I may have one too and I want a hug."

"Deal!" Two kisses and two hugs with chaperones! I'll see you Saturday. Say hello to your parents. Bye for now Pretty Lady."

"See you Saturday at ten, Clark."

Marie called on Friday. Will answered. "Hi, Will, this is Marie. Is Adele there?" I need to ask her some questions about tomorrow."

"I'll get her. One minute. She's outside. I told her you are on the phone. She's coming. Can I help?"

"No. Maybe another time. I need some of her help tomorrow."

"Here she is."

"Hi, Marie. What's up with you?"

"If you don't mind, I was wondering if we could find some time tomorrow to talk."

"Sure. What's the subject?"

"Clark. I really like him. My heart says go for it but my mind says slow down."

"Sounds like good things to talk about. We'll make as much time as you need."

Saturday, Marie arrived about 9:30. Marie had done her hair, nails and makeup. She wore jeans and a floral blouse.

"Hi Pretty Lady," Clark said. "You look wonderful."

"Hi Clark. Hi Everybody," Marie answered.

After they said there hellos and goodbyes, they hurried off. They wanted to get going to have as much time as they could. The drive was pleasant and uneventful. They recounted some of their college days and Marie told them about her college studies and a bit about her life after college. They arrived at the fair about 11:00.

"Let's find Bernie first." Will suggested. He said his booth would be just inside."

They easily found him.

"Bernie, I want you to meet Clark and his new girlfriend, Marie."

"Nice to meet you Clark, Marie. Will has told me a lot about you Clark."

"I hope he said something good in between his lies."

"All of it was good."

Adele broke in. "Marie and I will leave you guys to talk. We'll meet you here in a half hour."

"Adele, thanks for doing the artwork for this display. You're a genius!"

"Stop it, Bernie! You flatterer!"

They walked a short ways when Adele spotted a coffee stand. "Let's get some coffee and talk. My treat," she said.

"OK, Marie. What do you want to know?"

"I don't know much about him. So far, he seems like a terrific guy but I still don't feel I know him as well as I want or need to."

"I think it would be best if I told you a little of my history and then our common history. Along the way, you'll learn a lot about Clark. It looks like we'll be spending a lot of time together if you and Clark stay together, so you need to know a little about we three."

"I sure hope he stays with me. I'm afraid he might be like my other boyfriends and take off. I suppose that's my greatest fear."