The Broken Sword

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Yamara sighed and went to the first one, opening it up and rifling through its contents. She took out the majority of it and began repacking the items in the various pouches she had on her person. Most were magical and allowed for a greater apparent volume then the outward size appeared capable of holding. Extra-dimensional spaces were a must for the light traveler.

"Hurry up, troll," Yamara said, the distaste evident in her voice.

The troll in question lumbered forward, seeming quite awkward and ungainly in his thick and vicious looking blackened plate mail. Spikes and hooks protruded from it, promising anything that got to close a painful encounter. Draped across his nine foot tall form were various bags, sacks, and pouches containing everything from extra water skins to rations to miscellaneous garbage only he would call treasure. Also scattered amongst his gear was an assortment of lethal looking weaponry.

"Yooz sure bowt dis, her doesn't like me very much," the troll said, looking at Kelnozz.

"Yes, Rocktooth, I am," Kelnozz said. "You are the descendent of Grabbil, the first troll to ever befriend elves, dwarves, and men. More so, he befriended Nordan, my friend."

The troll slapped his gauntleted hand against his mail covered chest reverently at the mention of his God. When the loud clang had finished echoing Kelnozz continued. "I ask you to honor that friendship and put up with her. Learn from her, if you can, and if she should fall take up her quest."

Rocktooth reached out and grabbed the backpack that came sailing through the air at him, even though at the last minute it seemed to shift to the side in mid air. He slid it over his shoulders and stretched his arms, straining the seams of the pack even though it had already been tailored to fit him.

"Okies, me do dat den," Rocktooth said, shrugging. He picked up the large battle axe that would have taken any one of them at least two hands to wield with a single fist and walked towards the well.

"You're going to roast alive in that armor, troll," Yamara said, scowling. She had no use for trolls, they were large, smelly, messy, disgusting, and hard to kill. The hard to kill part she could appreciate having him on her side for, but the rest of his faults outmatched his strengths.

"Before you go there is one thing I would give you to aid your journey. These rings, wear them and when you speak the word of activation you will be magically succored back to the closest point on the world you are in to this one." Kelnozz spoke and made them repeat a word in old elvish until they had it correct.

"Now go and may the Gods grant you speed. I will guard the well in your absence, ensuring nothing escapes it," he finished. In the time since Kalista had disappeared and Bobo had been saved his arm had recovered most of its color and strength, though it was still visibly weaker then his right one was.

"Take my hand and empty your mind," Yamara told the troll coming with her. In a quiet whisper she added, "if there is anything in it to empty."

Rocktooth glanced at Kelnozz, a worried expression on his green skinned face. Kelnozz just shook his head and smiled sadly. He hoped Yamara could overcome her prejudice, the trolls of Rocktooth's clan had proven resourceful and useful in the past, he was certain they could do so again.

Rocktooth took Yamara's hand and after she stared at him for a long moment he realized she was waiting on him. He grinned, his sharp teeth looking dangerous in spite of the silly gesture, and nodded to indicate he was ready. Yamara scowled and pulled him forward with a strength that surprised him. With her leading the way they dropped into the well.

There were explosions of color and blackness, separately and together. It distorted their vision and made their mind swim with the chaos of it all. Then there was light, nothing but brilliant light. The air exploded from their chests as they hit the ground. They scrambled to their feet, disoriented and off balance.

"Damn, itz hot!" Were the first words out of Rocktooth's mouth. Yamara smiled thinly. She had expected the heat, but even so it still came as a shock to her system.

He glanced up and did a double take. Not just one, but two suns were heating them, though one was much smaller then the other. He was suddenly wondering if Yamara had been right about his armor. He shrugged and decided to deal with it, such was the way of his people.

"Be silent, save your energy for walking, and as hot as it is now it will be just as cold tonight," Yamara snapped, already studying the terrain. She closed her eyes and sent out her senses. Somehow she could still see, though everything was very dark and her range was limited to thirty feet or so. As she turned she found what she was looking for, a glimmer of light in the distance, calling to her.

"The blade is this way," she said, pointing and opening her eyes. In the distance mountains rose high above the barren wasteland surrounding them and ahead of them. She turned and grinned wickedly. "Welcome to Acathia."

Chapter 13

Kelnozz had wandered throughout Thoragloorin, reliving his youth in his memories. Alesha and Bobocateya trailed along with him, both silent and withdrawn. Kelnozz was aware of their moods, but he was not yet ready to deal with them. He toured his ancestral home and the palace, smiling in grim satisfaction as the ancient magic of the city restored it and cleaned away even the signs of the Kalista and her doguren's habitation.

"Do you wish to stay here or return to Innowendyn?" Alesha asked after many hours had passed and the sun had fallen on them yet another day. They again stood at the scene of the battle where their son had nearly died. Where a part of him had, in fact, died.

"That's not what you want to know," he said, turning away from the cliff and looking at her. "You want to know what I am going to do about her."

Alesha remained non-committal. Finally, after Kelnozz stared at her long enough she shrugged. "You will do the right thing, I know you well."

"And what is the right thing?" He asked rhetorically, taking a deep breath and letting it out.

"You tried to kill your son when you thought you had no living family remaining because of what he stood for," Alesha reminded him of Darakor, his one time best friend, his son, and his near equal in skill. "When the time comes you will know what to do with Kalista."

Bobo looked up, suddenly alarmed. He had heard the tales of Darakor, his half-brother, but having never had the opportunity to meet the man he tended to forget about him.

"I was too young to remember her, to remember what she reportedly did to me," Kelnozz said.

"Father, Kalista said you had magic that she had given it to you, and that I did as well. Is it true?" Bobo asked hesitantly, not wanting to interrupt his parents but feeling that he had something that might be important.

"She performed a ceremony upon me as I was born, the very one that caused the first of the Forsaken elves to gain their power and be sundered from the elves of old. My father interrupted it, interrupting her before she could complete it," Kelnozz explained, turning to look at him. His eyes widened as he beheld his son. The prince looked different in the moonlight. "She was mistaken, there is no magic within me," he said, gaining time to study his son.

Alesha gasped, drawing both their attention. "I understand now," she said, her face showing the shock of her revelation. "All those times I tried to use my magic on you and you denied me. I could never understand why you were special..."

Kelnozz looked at her, clearly confused.

"Before Ancaruin fell," Alesha explained turning to Bobo. "You know your father and I had a falling out for a time, well, I was lost and confused and he saved me. Saved me from a life and a madness not so different from what your grandmother possesses."

"In those days I tried several times to influence your father, to make him mine in the only way I knew how. Sometimes I could get through to him, but only once in the same way, he denied me ever after. Now I understand why."

"Why?" Bobo and Kelnozz both said. They looked at one another and Kelnozz was again stricken by the growing changes in his son. His eyes widened as he realized what was happening.

"What is it?" Bobo asked, seeing the expression on Kelnozz's face.

"Your eyes..." Kelnozz trailed off, not having proper words to explain what he was seeing.

Alesha turned to look at him, pursing her lips pensively when she saw the change as well. "Can you see?"

"Clear as day," Bobo admitted. "Except there is something different... I can see you two better. Clearer, I think. It's almost like you are glowing, you are so bright."

Alesha nodded. "You are a unique creature, Bobo, more so now than before."

Bobo frowned; he did not particularly care for being called a creature. "What do you mean? Is this magic?"

Alesha nodded. "To keep you from the realm of the dead I had to bond you with it while your father gave up some of his life for you. Yamara tasted it as well, but mostly it is within you. You are alive, but you have tasted death as well. What you see in us is our life force. Our spirit-energy. Have you seen it before?"

Bobo nodded. "On the night you brought me back it was much the same. I did not think on it then, we were kind of busy."

"And what of the day, how did you see then?" Alesha asked intently.

"It... it was bright today, brighter than high noon at sea, come to think of it. It hurt my eyes and I tried to stay out of the sun," Bobo said, thinking carefully as he spoke.

Alesha nodded. "Your eyes are clouded over, they look as though you are blind. The sun is fully set and the last of its light is gone, this is how it will be from now on for you. During the day you will be bothered by the light, for the dead are creatures of darkness."

Bobo's eyes widened and his mouth opened and shut. "I'm... dead?" He finally managed to say.

Kelnozz took a step closer to him, protectively. The elf king's hands were clenched.

"No," Alesha said, smiling sadly. "You are alive. You have crossed over though, and the underworld could not keep you so it made you one of its creatures."

"It made me?" Bobo asked, confused at how a place could have such sentience and power.

Alesha glanced at Kelnozz, who nodded, his gaze steady and sure. She closed her eyes and sighed. "No," she admitted warily, "I made you."

Bobo stared at her for a long moment, seeing more then he told them. She glowed with life and with power, and beneath the surface he could glimpse the darkness with her. Darkness that called to him with its strange and comforting familiarity. He nodded and turned to look at his father.

"I buried my first son on a beach, I will not let another fall while I still draw breath," Kelnozz said to him, answering the unspoken question his eerie eyes asked.

"Where I come from people had a saying," Alesha said, drawing the attention of both men. "If you can't beat them, join them."

The absurdity of the statement had both of them staring at her in shock. Then, after a few moments Bobo could not help but chuckle. Kelnozz finally admitted a grin himself.

"Aye, I guess it beats the alternative," Bobo admitted. He shook his head and chuckled. "You have any idea how hard this is going to make it for me to go wenching?"

More laughter followed, healing the wounds amongst the family as Bobo accepted his new lot in life... and in death. After a few quiet and thoughtful moments Bobo reminded them of their earlier conversation. "What of the magic you spoke of, mom?"

Alesha nodded, wondering when one of them would get back to that topic. "Kelnozz does possess magic, but over the years you have been in such denial of it that you have used it to shield you from other magic. That is why my spells sent at you acted as though they had hit a wall, you blocked me."

Kelnozz stared at her, head tilted as he thought about what she said. He felt no magic in him, but then again, if he had always had it how would he know what it felt like? He shrugged and smiled. "If you say so."

Alesha scowled at him and turned back to her son. "And you, young man, you also have magic within you, more now then ever, in fact. I had hoped to never teach you how to reach it, for fear of what it might do to you."

"I'm not you, mother," Bobo said, facing her bravely.

She nodded. "No, you're not me. That might give you more strength or might weaken you against the power you have the potential to grasp. Now that you are as you are I must teach you, in order for you to survive what you may encounter."

"And you must learn fast, for with Yamara seeking the blade, now you must seek the other part of the sword. We can not afford the risk of letting both fall into the possession of someone with the power to use them," Kelnozz said.

"Why me?" Bobo asked, surprised.

"Do you not feel you can handle it?" Kelnozz asked, guarding his expression carefully.

"No, father, you misread me. I am honored to be chosen, just surprised is all."

Kelnozz nodded and smiled. "I will be busy with Thoragloorin and your mother will be with me, as the elves will accept nothing else during this momentous time. I would have as few know of what happens as possible, therefore you make the most sense."

Bobo opened his mouth but Kelnozz raised his hand to stall him. "Wait, son, there is more. Elvanshalee has the hilt, and she is the sister of Darakor. There is no blood between you, but a strange relationship exists regardless. She knows of you and even saw you as a babe. Few people would she willingly relinquish the hilt to. I think you would be one of them."

Bobo nodded, feeling inside the pride of acceptance. "Now give us a few minutes, boy, I had hoped to do a little wenching myself!"

Bobo chuckled, all the more so when he saw his mother's raised eyebrow. Not disapproving but amused. He turned and walked off, heading back into the palace.

After he was out of earshot Alesha said to her husband, "Wenching, is it?"

Kelnozz chuckled. "Sorry, I just wanted some privacy."

"Why?"

"Kalista," Kelnozz explained. "My mother... what is it you think I should do with her?"

"Kel, for all we know she could be after Bavorish as well. Perhaps she learned something from Yamara, or perhaps her magic will tell her of it at some time," Alesha said earnestly.

"We have to find her. She means to do no less then every other power-hungry fool does, including Narellin, Ancaruin, and even myself at one time."

"And what happens then?" Kelnozz asked, already knowing her answer.

"Then we stop her."

Kelnozz sighed and remained quiet for a long time. "All my life I knew my parents were dead, now I find one still alive and I am asked to kill her. Perhaps you ask too much."

"No, I don't," Alesha said, her voice warm but steady. "You will do what you must, as you always have. You tried to kill Darakor when you had the opportunity and you tried to kill me when I needed killing. That we escaped is no fault of your own, you did the right thing."

Kelnozz fought down the shiver as she spoke so casually of her own past. He remembered all to well the feel of his longsword plunging into her, his intent clearly murderous. She had escaped, spirited away by Bavorish to her own world to build up her power and start a cult of worshippers to return her stronger then ever to Viconia. She had not anticipated Kelnozz and Garrick coming after her though, to finish the job.

"And what if I can't?" He asked softly, flexing his still weakened left hand.

"You do not know how to fail," Alesha said to him, smiling. "And if you do, then I will kill her for you."

Kelnozz looked up at her sharply. She smiled after a moment and said, "What can I say, I'm still young and impetuous."

Kelnozz had to laugh. She was young, compared to him. She was also older then any human had any right to be. She came to him and they held each other then. Such a troubled relationship they had, now they felt as though they could not live without each other.

"She threatens my husband and my son, I welcome the chance to find out just how powerful she really is," Alesha whispered in his ear. Kelnozz held her tightly, smiling at the fighting spirit that was within his wife.

Chapter 14

"Dis world iz ded," Roktooth said, staring around and squinting.

Yamara smirked but chose not to make a comment on his ability to point out the obvious. They were resting for a few moments in the shade of some rocks that looked as though they had been thrust up through the crust of the ground. Yamara judged that roughly another four hours would pass before it began to cool down as the suns set.

"Not dead, dying," Yamara sighed, deciding the troll needed an education if they were to have any chance of success. Yamara thought back and remembered her talks with the pudarin woman Sandala from what seemed like a lifetime ago. "There are elves here, or something like them. They call themselves Pudarin. Humans as well, called humans, no less," Yamara smirked. "A branch of humans, shorter and stronger and separate, are known as Acathians."

Yamara took stock of the situation. Speed was good, but the troll refused to abandon his heavy plate mail and she suspected before long he would be ready to drop from heat exhaustion. She decided now was as good a time as any to give him a clue about the world they found themselves on.

"Legend has it that humans arrived a few thousand years ago, descending on great skiffs from the sky. There was a great war, though I know little of it. Apparently a peace ensued, of some sort. The Acathians, ever since, became a lesser race, or rather a race of workers. I guess they lost the war," Yamara said, smiling thinly.

"Another race of people live here, they are called faradwim. They are similar to lizardmen, yet they are much larger and far more friendly," Yamara paused, realizing something. "Then again, the one I met was decent enough, I don't suppose they all are though."

"Your weapons and coins and especially your armor is worth enough here to earn a dagger in your back in a dark alley," she continued. "This world has little in the way of metal, just enough to make every bit of it all the more precious, so keep them to yourself and guard it closely should we encounter anyone."

"The Gods of Viconia have no sway in this world," she said, gazing into the distance and watching the hot air rise in shimmering waves off of the sun baked ground. "Magic is not practiced either, save for a kind of power they call mentalism."

"Almost everyone here has some mental talent or other," she said, "though according to someone I met here before it seems everyone possesses the ability, of this world or not. The trick is having it awoken with you."

"Enough time has been wasted," Yamara said, standing up abruptly. The more she tried to remember what she knew of Acathia the more she remembered all to well what had happened the last time she had been to Acathia. How she had treated people who meant her only kindness unfairly. She had no desire to relive it. "Let us be on our way, and try not to fall too far behind when the suns heating your armor causes you to roast alive."

Without so much as a groan Rocktooth regained his feet. As the twin suns were setting, slowly, he did begin to feel the heat a little less. It was still painfully bright and threatened to suck the life from him, however. It was only with extreme self-discipline that he remembered not to drain his water skins prematurely.

*****

Three days later Yamara drove the lumbering and exhausted troll on. He rarely had time for words, so miserable was he in the harsh climate. At best she could get a grunt or two out of him. She had spotted the trail of her prey two days back, causing her to increase their pace. Now Rocktooth's water was gone and her skins were nearly empty as well. She took great comfort in the fact that she somehow knew they would be coming upon an oasis soon. Something in the land and the air about her seemed to tell her as much.

1...7891011...20