The Chosen One

Story Info
Spirited attorney hired for an inside job finds romance.
9.4k words
4.72
29.7k
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

Stocky and dressed decidedly behind fashion, Felicity Lott handed the CEO the file and said, "You wanted our best employee for the job. Well here she is, the only downside being age."

Gavin Stone scowled, making a face threatening to dogs, infants, little old ladies and executives on the mat facing abrupt termination. It even made Felicity, head of HR and known as The Bitch, feel uncomfortable.

"An old cow will be useless, no energy and focused on her retirement package. Anyway Felicity I was expecting a male, and you knew that."

"Oh so you did Gavin, more or less."

"More of less?"

"Your exact words were, 'Find me the best man for the job and don't screw up'

"Correct."

"Well I fed into the computer the personal files of my pick of the top fifty people on our payroll capable of performing the role to your complete satisfaction. I then assessed the top five but one name was so clearly out front that I accepted the best man for the job was a woman, aged twenty-seven."

"What? She'll be still wet behind the ears. Who came in second?"

"Philip Twain."

"Yeah, could have picked him myself except he often fails to finish. Who's next?"

"Roland Jones."

"No, being so close to Linda he'll end up seducing her. Next."

"Allen Pankhurst."

"He's divorcing his wife so his mind won't be on the job. Next."

"Cyril Owens.

"That creep. He's gay."

"That's discriminatory and ignores the fact he's a master salesman."

"Shut up Felicity. Keep you mind on your job. If I want a lecturer I'll listen to Linda. Next."

"That's the top five Gavin. As you go down the list the cracks in their suitability become crevices."

"Fuck."

"Yes sir. Shall I undress or do you wish to do that?"

"Felicity," Gavin roared. "I dislike your warped sense of humor. Bring her to me."

"Yes sir."

* * *

The last-on recruit in the legal and documentation department of the corporation that exported the military field kitchens and surgical theatres it produced to fourteen countries was Rhona Paxton. The somewhat feisty short-cropped blonde with almost iridescent cobalt blue eyes was in a dangerous mood that morning.

The reason for that began the previous night when the guy she was living with mounted her, as usual, after pulling her on to her back. He liked to fuck missionary. Rhona preferred doggy and rarely got her choice. Simon entered her and began plugging away. And that's exactly what it felt like, being plugged. There was no communication, no touching and stroking. Simon liked to whistle while he worked and as soon as he creamed somewhere up Rhona he rolled off on to his feet and went to the bathroom where he farted loudly. She'd reached the stage where she was blocking her ears. Simon never stayed on the job until he got her off. She had to do that with her fingers.

Simon arrived back at the bedside and asked, "What are you doing?"

"You always ask me that. I'm ending the job you half-finished."

"God you are crude."

"I am not."

"You are so."

That was where it usually stopped. But last night Rhona pulled her trigger.

"You asshole, you might be a top attorney but you know fuck-all about women."

"And that's all I need to know."

"You are absolutely boring in bed. You have no clues about seduction."

"Well if you were tighter in the cunt you'd get off before I did and we wouldn't have this problem. You are the problem."

Rhona fumed, "No, we have a problem and should get it sorted,"

"You stupid, emotional bitch. Get a life. I'm off to the spare room. I expect an apology at breakfast."

She spat, "Goodnight asshole."

There was no reply so she had the obligatory cry about being unhappy. When she was sure he was asleep she packed and did the obligatory thing: she went home to mother.

Her father Richard opened the door. "Another stuffed up affair?"

"Yes."

"It might help if you backed off a bit and became less demanding. Remember darling, you are dealing with men rather than intelligent, articulate and multi-tasking women."

"Get fucked dad."

He chuckled and said that was not a bad idea.

Mira came running out in her old-fashion nightdress and cried, "Oh Rhona, my darling. Come let me hug you."

They both cried and both went to the kitchen for coffee and a midnight sandwich.

Next morning Rhona watched Richard leave for work. She went up to the apartment, packed all her remaining possessions, tipped out all his drawers in the bedroom on to the floor and mixed them into one big heap and wrote in lipstick on the mirror, 'Bye-bye asshole'.

She felt a whole lot better. Rhona called up a taxi SUV and it carried the whole lot home in one trip. The cabbie helped her take everything to her bedroom and received a very generous tip and stayed for coffee with Rhona and her mom. He then took Rhona to work where she found an urgent message to call Felicity Lott.

"You're late, where have you been?"

Adopting her most cutting tone Rhona said, "Out."

"Your phone was switched off."

The answer was a cold yes.

"That's against company rules for a person in your position."

"For god's sake, I know that. What do you want?"

Felicity's temperature soared but then she remembered this was the Rhona that fitted the job that awaited her like a glove.

"A little more respect would be appreciated."

Rhona purred, "Don't you mean politeness? Respect has to be earned."

God she was good, Felicity thought, although still bristling. "Go to the elevators immediately and wait for me. The boss wants to see you."

"Yes your ladyship. Does he want me to replace you?"

"Now look her Rhona..."

"You ploughed into me without even a friendly good morning, beginning with an interrogation. You are only getting what you deserve."

Felicity did something rare for her. She apologized.

"Thank you for that Felicity. I feel better about you now. I guess I should not be meeting the boss and shooting at him from the lip just because I'm dumped my boyfriend last night."

"Oh Rhona, you poor darling. I now understand."

Rhona felt heaps better. Such selfless understanding was one of the things she liked about women.

Gavin's PA told them to pour coffee and wait until Mr Stone was able to see them.

"No, tell him to call me when he's free, I have work to do."

Rhona pulled out of Felicity's restraining arm and had just reached the elevators when there was a roar, "Come back here?"

Rhona stood, back on to the voice waiting for an elevator to arrive.

A more moderate male voice called, "I can see you now Miss Paxton."

She turned, smiled and walked towards him, straightening her hair and watching his eyes on her breasts. Well he was male, wasn't he?

"Shut the door Felicity. Well Miss Paxton..."

"You may call me Rhona."

"I'm not used to being interrupted," Gavin scowled.

Rhona yawned and said, "Excuse me. I had a rough night and am hoping for an easier day."

Gavin took at deep breath. "Do you know the name of my wife?"

"Of course."

"What do you know about her?"

"An unnatural blonde, recently turned fifty, you married her on the rebound fourteen years ago and she's borne you two children. Linda has a masters in economics and gained a masters in business administration online in half the time it normally takes graduates. She is about fifteen pounds overweight and loves to cook and dine out. She is absolutely without sporting interests, drives her Mercedes indifferently and has a ruthless streak. Her grandfather founded this company. She retired as company secretary eight years ago and has been a director for eight years and I would think her ambition is to become chairman."

"My god, how do you know all that? It's not all in our company profiles of directors."

"When I was told I was coming here to see you I re-read it for a memory refresh and phoned three people close to her who filled in the gaps for me. You see I'd already heard the rumor she would stand for upcoming election and knew she'd have a fight on her hands. It was the only thing I considered you'd want to see me about. You want me to be her minder and ease the path for her. I'm flying a kite but that's the only credible thing I could think you'd want to see me about. Perhaps if I'd been given an hour's notice I might have thought up options."

"Felicity you haven't..."

"No Gavin, and nothing about this in my computer or in any notebook. This is as much as a surprise to me as obviously it is to you. I did warn you she was good."

Rhona stifled a yawn and asked, "Am I correct about this?"

Gavin said more or less.

"Then why me? I would have thought you would have picked one of your yes men."

Gavin looking at his watch asked, "Such as?"

"Roland Jones but my top pick would be Philip Twain."

"I see. How long have you been working for us?"

"Seven months and perhaps nine days."

Felicity looked in her electronic notebook. "It is seven months and nine days. That's very precise."

"I have a tidy and active mind."

"Right, let's test it. We have forty-seven or forty-eight executives..."

"Currently forty-six – Sampson died and hasn't been replaced and Mrs Able left last Friday and her replacement doesn't start for another three weeks I think it is."

Gavin looked at Felicity who nodded. "How many of those forty-six can you name. I guess those at the plants you haven't met."

"True but I read company reports. Would you like me to name them randomly or alphabetically?

"Randomly, as many as you can. It will tell me something about your depth of knowledge of this company and the capacity of your mind."

Rhona stared at him and began naming them and reached about thirty when Gavin stopped her.

He looked impressed and looked at Felicity for her reaction. He read surprise in her reaction and so asked, "What?"

"Those names were given in order of seniority – I think without error."

"Very impressive Rhona. What I want you to do, if you accept, is to become my wife's PA and do everything you can legally to get her elected."

"Sure but don't you want me to knock around with her for a week to confirm we are compatible. I am somewhat fiery."

"No I'll brief her. She is focused on becoming chairman so will tolerate practically anything. We have a board of thirteen and it would appear the outgoing chairman will vote for Rhona, our constitution allows Linda to vote and I'll also vote for her and that means there are ten votes to secure. Albion United Bank, our largest stockholder by far, has two seats on the board and two very close allies amongst those other eight directors. Your task is to secure as many of those ten votes as you can. Linda needs seven votes to take the chair. We really need to have at least one more vote for security, even two more if we can."

"I agree. When do I start?"

"Friday. You meet Linda at lunch and move into our home where you'll be in the guesthouse. You'll breakfast and dine with us each day where I can be briefed about everything. This Saturday there will be a garden lunch at our home with all directors present and a number of our friends and business associates."

"Excellent, then I should be introduced as Linda's personal assistant."

"Why?"

"Directors will then understand why I'm talking to them about support for your wife."

"Good thinking."

"Tomorrow I'll attempt to have lunch or dinner with the head of public affairs of Albion United?"

"Why, they are the enemy?"

"Well they certainly will be if you think and talk that way."

"I see."

"My aim is to have Linda elected unopposed."

"That's impossible. Deputy chairman Alf Raymond is vice-president of the bank and wants direct control of our company."

"Then we'll have to get rid of Alf, legally, won't we?"

"Ohmigod," Felicity blurted.

"You're fucking ruthless," laughed Gavin. "The election will be held forty-two days from today. Any questions?"

"No, this will unfold."

"Good. My PA will call you regarding lunch with Linda. That's all."

Felicity and Rhona were leaving without a word when Gavin called, "Oh Rhona."

She turned.

"Thank you. I'm very impressed."

* * *

Still simmering at learning the person chosen as her support person to try to secure her bid to become chairman had said she was fifteen pounds overweight and yet had never met her. Linda Stone arrived late for lunch only to find Rhona had not yet arrived. She sat at the bar and gritted, ordering a drink. Beautiful perfume wafted to her as the person standing behind her said, "Linda?"

Linda turned and almost gasped. Gavin had not said the kid was beautiful. Well that was a big plus.

"Yes I'm Mrs Stone. Good afternoon Rhona."

"Oh hi." That came with a disarming smile and Linda was told gently, "Actually it's Rhona. Surely you don't want me, a person working so intimately with you, to call you Mrs Stone?"

Linda couldn't believe it. The young bitch was attempting to take control. "Well, I guess I'll have to think about that."

"Mrs Stone, this is not about power. This is about me paving the way for you to get what you want. The best way for us to act is attempting to act as one, as if we were joined at the hip."

"Very well. Rhona you may call me Linda. And where will you be if I chose to have an affair with a pal?"

"Might I suggest you put any behavior that could place you under criticism – and that especially means moral misbehavior – out of bounds for at least the next thirty-nine days which is election day? What you do that night is your affair and if necessary I will keep Gavin away from you to allow you to play without restraint."

"My question was hypothetical. A light white wine?"

"Yes please Linda. I suppose Gavin told you I alleged you were a little over-weight."

"Why do you ask?"

"It would explain at least some of your coolness towards me."

"God, Gavin did say you were unbelievably good. I'll lie and say no he didn't mention anything so personal."

They both laughed and Linda began to warm to the girl when sipping her wine and Rhona said, "It's great to find you have intelligent humor."

At the table, both eating lightly, Rhona asked the big question: "Why Linda?"

"My grandfather founded this company. It is significantly profitable, hence the bank's cornerstone stockholding. The bank of course also looks after us financially, although commercially, and that's a distinct advantage when credit tightens. I'm still young enough to be ambitious. Ever since the family lost the chairmanship we've had a neutral chairman but now that appears about to change should the bank get it's own director as chairman. The bank thinks profits; we think profits but not at the expensive of quality and dedication to service. Customer support is expensive and under bank thinking that equates to profit loss and would think that should be pruned, if not lopped."

"And bang does the company's goodwill and then reputation."

"Exactly. Do you know about business?"

"As well as my law degree I have an MBA."

"Gavin didn't mention the MBA?"

"Obviously Gavin should talk to you more in depth. He probably thought my role with you is more about politics than business."

Linda sighed and said that was about right. "Exactly how did you see your role?"

"My objective is to have you eating out of my hand, supporting me ever inch of the way. Being open and honest with me, delivering me the information I need to know. Also spending the money, perhaps big money, on the investigations we might require."

"Investigations? You mean PI's?"

"Yes. I have my father and a couple of girlfriends in law firms to provide names of top and reputable PI's I. We won't be successful walking up to our big impediment and saying, 'Alf Raymond, will you kindly withdraw."

Linda laughed. "I also laughed when Gavin told me you had seriously proposed that. There's no way we could topple Alf."

"Well with a negative attitude like that I'd have to say my chances of doing that will take a hit."

"B-but how?"

"We nail an unpalatable indiscretion to Alf's hide."

"Like what?"

Rhona rolled her eyes. "Give me a break Linda. I have just been briefed and have only had time to begin building dossiers on board members and on the chairman and president and the other vice-president of Albion bank. The next step is to get people such as yourself to provide information not available from other sources."

"That will be an uphill task and probably will leave you empty-handed."

"That's an opinion. I'd like to think I'll get up much closer and personal with every person involved Linda. Would you like to tell me about your relationship with Hudson Wright?"

Linda turned scarlet. "Good god, how did you find out?"

"I did it as an exercise to convince you to work openly and honestly with me. You were very careful and covered your tracks well. But the truth is when you went and complained about two unsatisfactory pool men in a succession their boss, Hud as you call him, gave your more than an apology."

"This is disgusting, absolutely disgusting that people can pry like that. How on earth did you find out?"

"As a director you have an expense account. The legal department has access to expense accounts to look randomly for possible fraud. I noticed you had three vouchers for one night stays at a motel across town. Now contrary to what you say I don't think that was very discreet. My registered investigator I hired from the Yellow Pages checked the motel's security camera disks for those days and identified you from the photo I tore from our company's annual report. On each occasion there was this same guy with you. While you paid for everything shared, my man figured your guy might have paid for something. And hello, there was a credit card slip for a bottle of champagne on the third evening."

"Our last time together because his wife was becoming suspicious."

"It was the only slip that turned up details of a local person. My man went to Hud. He denied it until my man asked would Hud mind if he checked with Hud's wife why would Hud be staying at a local motel. Hud coughed up the information once assured disclosure would not end with media publicity."

"Ohmigod."

"Yes, always remember to give false addresses and pay everything with cash whenever you are being naughty Linda."

"Rhona please," Linda said, awash with guilt.

"When are you expecting me to shift in?"

"Late this afternoon. I thought that was arranged?"

"No. Look Linda. I don't care a rat's ass..."

"What?"

They laughed. "I don't care how badly Gavin communicates with me but with you, I spoke about us being joined at the hip remember?"

"Yes, I should have called you to make contact and then the invitation to move in would have occurred."

"Good girl Linda."

"Girl? I'm forty-six."

"I think we agreed on being open and honest or did you think that didn't apply to you?"

"Fifty," Linda whispered. "Sorry."

"Thank you. I'll arrive about 6:15. I'm living at home at the moment, so am not far from you."

"Dinner will be at 8:00. My son will join us for drinks. He'll be rather interested in you."

"Isn't he a little young for that?"

"I mean my son from my first marriage."

Linda looked at the surprised face in front of her. "Ah, you know so much about me but I think you missed that one?"

"How embarrassing." Rhona said. "Well I take it we both know I'm not bullet proof."

They laughed and laughed again when Linda said, "And we both have a secret to keep from Gavin."

Linda paid for the meal and they parted, with almost shy waves.

CHAPTER 2

Linda greeted Rhona at the door and they kissed.

"If we are to be joined at the hip we behave like sisters know, forgetting the age gap."

"What a splendid idea."

"Thank you. Put those cases back in your vehicle and we'll drive over to the guesthouse. It's at the back, separated by the pool and garden."