The Chronicles of Mark and Jennifer Ch. 02

Story Info
A very religious girl's first date.
2k words
4.65
21.2k
14

Part 2 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 05/03/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mark's story

Oh my God, Jen had accepted! She was actually going to go out with me.

I stripped off and ran a hot bath: I wanted to be as clean as could be, and this student slums apartment doesn't have a shower, so it's baths for me. I shampooed and washed up, and then shaved. Time to pick out the right clothes.

Well, for me, that meant khakis. This was a few years before the preppy look was in, but I still had some khakis. We weren't allowed to wear jeans in high school, so I had several pairs of slacks, and the khakis looked better than any of the others. Trouble is, I didn't have the best shirts in the world. I wore t-shirts most of the time, but that wasn't good enough for a first date, even at a place as casual as Joe B's. Finally I found one to wear, and I got out the ironing board and pressed it, along with the khaki slacks. Clean socks, black, and my dressiest shoes - which weren't all that dressy, just penny loafers - and that was as good as I could do for this evening. I figured that I'd brush my teeth and use Listerine just before I left my apartment.

It was only a few blocks to Blazer Hall, the dorm where Jennifer lived. Down Stone Avenue, right on East Maxwell, then down whatever that street in front of Blazer Hall was called; it wouldn't take ten minutes to get there. I could get there in five, but I didn't want to rush and maybe break a sweat.

I was supposed to pick up Jen at 6:30, but I was about ten minutes early. Guys weren't allowed on the residence floors in the girls' dorms in 1972, but there was a receptionist desk in the entrance, and I could get the receptionist to call up to Jen's room. It sure seemed like there were a lot of girls in the lobby, looking at me, and I found out later that most of them were from Jen's floor; apparently the word had gotten out, and I was getting checked out. The receptionist called up, and a couple of minutes later, Jen came down, looking like I had never seen her before.

Oh, my God, she looked really good! I'd never seen her in anything but those too-long, too loose skirts that she wore, and knee socks and simple blouses. Today, she was wearing some new jeans that looked good and stylish on her, some half-fancy sandals, and a simple white shirt, but one that looked a lot more fashionable than I was used to seeing on her. Her hair was pulled back in a pony tail, and it wasn't her normal, partly frizzy hair. I had thought that she was kind of cute before, even though she never did anything to make that obvious, but today she looked pretty. I had about four seconds to decide how to greet her, and I really wanted to give her a quick kiss, but was afraid that might be too much, too soon. I settled on a simple, "Hi," which she returned, looking a little nervous. I just hoped that I didn't look as nervous as I felt. When she smiled at me, the nerves went away. We got close together, and she was about to say something, when a flashbulb went off: one of the girls in the lobby actually took a couple of pictures! Jen turned about seventeen shades of crimson at that, and I was a bit embarrassed myself.

"You two have fun," one of them shouted, as the girls scurried upstairs.

"Your friends?" I asked as we were walking down the outside steps.

"Yeah, the girls from my floor. Somehow the word that I had a date spread like wildfire."

"Does that bother you? You're not upset that I asked you out, are you?" I probably shouldn't have added that last part.

"Well, it bothers me a little, but Monica and Rachel really wanted to help, and they pushed me a bit, but I could tell that they were happy for me."

"Are you happy for you?" Another question I regretted the second I asked it, but it worked out well.

"Yes, I am. This is nice." Then Jennifer did something that shocked me: she took my hand as we were walking, and I was on cloud nine.

It was only a couple of blocks over to Joe Bologna's, an Italian hole-in-the-wall restaurant that was really popular with students. Back in the seventies, it had a dark dining room, with booths on one side, against the outside wall, and a few small tables for two near the interior wall. Since it was Thursday, it wasn't quite as busy as it'd be on the weekend, and we got a small table near the side, several tables away from the door, but not up to the kitchen entrance. A hippie girl waitress came to our table, to get our drinks order, and asked if we were there just for bread sticks or the full dinner. I said we were there for dinner, and we both chose coffee to drink. The waitress lit the candle on table, and then went off for our drinks. The light wasn't great, but I wondered, had Jen actually put on make up for me? I wasn't sure, but I thought she might just be wearing a touch of mascara.

The coffee came quickly, as did the bread sticks and Joe B's antipasto salad. Jen ordered some sort of marinara dish, I can't remember which one, while I picked the eggplant parmesan, which is surprisingly good; I've had it at Joe B's before. We were filling the conversation with small talk about classes and majors, and pretty much avoiding the more romantic date talk; I guess that Jen was as nervous about that subject as I was. I was trying to figure out a way to introduce the subject, when Jen beat me to it. "I have to know: why did you ask me out?"

Well, that was a pretty blunt question, and it deserved a direct answer. "Because I like you, and I've always liked you. I mean, we've known each other forever, from school, and I guess I hadn't thought about your romantically then, but all of a sudden I started thinking of you that way, since I ran into you overburdened with your books the other day. It was pleasant walking with you and talking to you, and my perspective just changed. Is that OK with you?"

"Yeah, it's OK." Jennifer started a subtle smile, so subtle that I doubt she knew she was doing it. "I was kind of a mess when you asked, and I really didn't know what to say."

"Well, I'm glad that you said 'Yes!'"

"Me, too. Of course, Monica and Rachel made getting ready kind of a whirlwind, and I didn't have too much time to actually think about this, except while . . . ."

"While what?"

"OK, this is kind of embarrassing, but Monica was fussing over my hair, saying that I had to get dolled up to go out with you. She pushed me into using her cream rinse, and then spent a lot of time brushing out my hair."

"Do girls usually do that for each other?"

"I certainly never have, but this, well, to tell the truth, this is my first date ever. I mean, I guess that this is a date."

"I think of it as a date, and I'm hoping that this isn't our last date." I got another smile from Jen for that answer, I took a chance and put my hand out across the table, and then Jen reached out and took it. To me, this date seemed to be going very well. It was just then that the entrees arrived.

The conversation returned to small talk while we were eating, and I took my time with dinner. Neither one of us wanted dessert, and we were done a little bit more quickly than I had hoped. The hippie girl waitress brought over the check, and I just slipped a twenty in he little folder, and we got up to go.

"I hope that this place wasn't too expensive," Jen said.

"Oh, it isn't, not at all. That covered the bill with plenty left over for her tip. She did a good job, just attentive enough without butting in too much."

"And you notice when people do good jobs?"

"Absolutely. Waitressing looks like a hard job to me, and I know that if I had to do it, I'd get everybody's order fouled up." Any other college guy would have said fucked up, but I was never going to use a vulgarity around Jennifer. I think that she noticed that. "The moon is out and pretty tonight. Do you have time for a walk before I take you back to the dorm?" It wasn't even 8:00 yet, but in early April the sky was already dark.

"I'd like that." There was that shy smile again!

The streets around that area are fairly busy even at that time of the evening, but after making the long block down South Limestone, we turned onto campus, which has a broad lawn leading away from the roads. There really wasn't a lot of conversation between us, but we were walking hand-in-hand, and I couldn't imagine anything better. We made it up to the plaza, past the bronze statue of Dr Patterson, the first president of UK - students rub his boot for good luck on exams - and over to the fountain. (The old fountain has been gone for years now.) Couples have been known to sit on the edge of the fountain and neck at night, and while the campus isn't a particularly romantic place, the fountain comes as close to romantic as any on campus. There was already one couple paying no attention to anyone else there, and Jennifer and I walked to the opposite side, where they couldn't be seen. I hoped that what she had seen would at least put Jen in a mind to let me kiss her, and whether that was what did it or not, when we sat down and I leaned in to kiss her, she not only didn't stop me or pull back, but leaned over herself to be kissed.

"That was really nice," she said to me, with a wonderful smile on her face.

"It was," I replied, and then I kissed her again.

Part of me was hoping for deep, passionate, take-me-to-bed-now kisses, but another part of me was completely elated by the soft, shy kisses that Jennifer was giving me. I wasn't experienced enough with girls - in case you didn't know, I was still a virgin - to know when I could push things further, but I could sense that this was just as far as I could, or needed to, go this evening. Jennifer was happy and I was happy. We sat there for maybe an hour, just holding hands and gently kissing, and it was as close to Heaven on earth as I had ever experienced. My fantasies of unbridled, hard sex never came close to the reality of Jennifer's soft lips.

Finally, she said, "I don't want to, but I guess that I have to get back now." It was after 9:00 PM, and starting to get slightly chilly.

"That's fine. I don't want to leave yet either, but I know that we have to sometime."

We were in no hurry to get back to Blazer Hall. I could have walked it in five minutes at my normal pace, but it must've taken us fifteen or twenty minutes to get there. It was getting decidedly cooler, and I ventured putting my arm around Jennifer, to keep her warm, naturally, and she responded with her arm under mine, around my waist. We finally got there, and went up the steps to the lobby. It was kind of hard to let go, but we had to, and I gave Jen one last soft kiss . . . and there went another flashbulb! One of her friends was in the lobby, with a camera, again! This time, Jen didn't seem nearly as embarrassed.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said, as she turned and headed up the stairs.