The CIA Doublecross Pt. 03

Story Info
A Future in Idaho.
6.3k words
4.79
9.1k
8

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/01/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dear Readers - After too much delay, here is the next installment of Marsha, Scott, and Mark's adventures with the CIA and its adversaries.

*****

The CIA Doublecross - Part 3 - A Future in Idaho

We were being seated in the Boise State faculty club dining room and I was doing my panicked best to decide how to handle the fact that our CIA contact, Mark Cooper, had just been introduced as a special friend of the university and chief alumni fund raiser.

Marsha squeezed my hand under the table and whispered, "Be nice."

Eleanor and Margaret were glancing back and forth between Mark and me. I explained, "Mr. Cooper has been working with us on a problem at our company in California."

Ellie, the experienced deputy sheriff, was putting two and two together real fast. Meg looked a little confused and asked, "Does this have anything to do with what happened over the weekend?"

Mark jumped in, "Yes it does, and thank you for helping get these two out of trouble. They seem to find it wherever they go. My people are stretched just trying to keep up." His smile was wide.

Dean Saunders was also smiling, which could only mean Cooper had clued him in.

"Ms. Youngblood, I'm impressed with your credentials for admission. You seem to be following in your parents' footsteps as a high achieving person. We need students like you."

Meg smiled, "You mean I don't have to sit here quaking, scared this visit is going to end badly?"

Everyone laughed and Mark said, "What about your twin sister? Is she applying for admission too?"

The two of them sat up straighter and Marsha said, still laughing, "We would like to room together, but then Scott would be underfoot all the time."

After we ordered, Mark asked if Marsha and I had a few minutes to talk after the meal. I chuckled at him, "We are not officially here, so I guess it is ok to talk to you about what we are not doing."

Ellie added, "Law enforcement thinks they've gone missing again. Meg and I are supposed to be home for a late dinner."

Cooper said, in a light tone, "In that case, I will provide transportation after we are done. For the two individuals we didn't have lunch with."

Saunders was nonplused, which confirmed my suspicion that he was an operative. Good location, I thought. A campus Dean heard a lot of things, some of which were interesting to a spy agency. And also got a look at promising recruits, of whom Margaret Youngblood was an excellent example.

The food was good and we talked about the nationally ranked football team, and other athletics. Everyone turned the dessert offer down and Dean Saunders invited the Youngbloods to his office for some paperwork. I put an arm around Ellie and said, "I think you just decided to let your daughter apply for admission."

Her kiss on my cheek was warm. "Thank you, Scott and Marsha, for coming on this trip. I hope to see you again soon."

Marsha got a kiss on the lips from her twin, and so did I, with a warning, "Treat her right, or I'm coming after you!"

In the backseat of Cooper's nondescript rental, Marsha said it first. "You can't touch that girl until she has finished school, Mark."

He laughed and said, "So you are coming after me, and Megan is going after Scott? Sounds like the men are getting the worst of the deal, or is it the best?"

After the laughter stopped, he said, "You didn't hear me say this, but the diversion in Idaho has blown this whole case wide open. Everyone from the National Security Advisor on down is pleased as punch. The boss even offered me a promotion to Langley, but I told him I had the west in my blood."

Marsha curled into me and said, "We're not going back to the company, are we?"

I laughed and asked, "You've decided you like the undercover cowgirl life, have you?"

"Look out. Remember, I'm your noshit girlfriend."

Mark broke in, "You're better than that. I have some ideas, but at the moment we need to park you somewhere inconspicuous."

I said, "Mark, this woman and I are getting pretty good at hiding out. That is, when we aren't tagged by some bad guy."

Marsha kissed me and said, "He's such a tough man. I don't know why, but he is fun to hide out with."

"What would you think about a few days at my family's ranch about an hour north of here? They value their privacy and so do I. I've never let the location be known to the agency or anyone else."

I hesitated, knowing we had just been offered very special treatment. Marsha nodded at me, and I said, "Mark, that's very generous. We would like a chance to explore options, if that is what you have in mind."

"I'll call and see if we are welcome today. We have all your stuff with us?"

"Yes. Your agency transport system doesn't check bags."

"You impressed those last pilots. Said they couldn't figure out how two young people in love could be so organized."

Marsha reached and pulled his ear. "You scare the devil out of us, and of course we are going to be organized." She sank back into my arms and closed her eyes.

The Cooper ranch was on the North Fork of the Payette River, south of the Cascade Dam and reservoir. Beautiful country. I could see why Mark kept a low profile on the property. We had passed by this morning on the way south.

"My mother and oldest brother work the ranch. Have temporary help now and then. Family settled here when there was still virgin timber in all directions. But ranching and recreation is what is left now."

"If you don't mind, I'm going to use your real names. Not much point in being devious with family. Your and my story is that you are on special assignment with my team, but just back from a difficult project and need some R&R."

"Mark, how thoughtful. I do indeed need R&R." She pulled on his ear again. "You and I need to talk about Margaret."

He swiveled his head to glance at her. "You are going to allow me to offer an internship in the summer?"

"No, she does the internship with Scott and me. Ellie will insist."

I wondered what Marsha was up to. Had we just been farmed out to the agency?

We turned off the highway and headed west toward a ranch house in the distance. Mark pulled over next to a landscaped verge with a pond beyond.

"We need to talk before we go to the house. There is a nice bench there by the water."

Ambling across the grass, Marsha put her arm around Mark, kissed him on the cheek, and said, "Honey, you keep taking me to the nicest benches!"

I growled and they laughed.

He plunged right in. "There is a situation here you may be able to help with. About a year ago, a couple from the east named Harrison bought a big spread across the road and up the valley a bit. Twelve hundred acres or so. Deep pocket types who started pouring in money on top of the purchase price. Barns, fencing, a bunkhouse for the help, a swimming pool for the missus.

"Nice enough people, who introduced themselves around, threw a party for all the neighbors, and found a church to attend. Have two beautiful matched bays, and go riding with neighbors.

"One evening my brother was driving back from a Rotary dinner in town and noticed a large horse trailer leaving the Harrison place and heading south. Wasn't all that remarkable, but strange to be dragging that thing around in the dark. Animals don't like it much either.

"A week later, he and Mom were out here by the pond at twilight and same thing happened. Horse trailer heading out in the dark.

"My brother isn't basically nosy, but told me about it the next time we talked and asked if I could do a quiet background check. Told him that with my job, he shouldn't be asking for that kind of favor, but I would do it once.

"Harrisons don't check out. Previously lived in Philadelphia suburb on the New Jersey side. No sign of family money. He was an insurance investigator, she did accounting work at home.

I said, "I suppose the local bank account to pay for all this is supplied by offshore wire transfers?"

He smiled, "Bingo!"

Marsha added, "Horse trailer is convenient way to move lots of interesting things. Drugs, cash, bodies."

"I have a problem. I don't want the DEA or Treasury in here, trashing and burning. And I don't want my brother's name involved."

He smiled again, "I want two young agents in training to take this project on. Ask silly questions only relatives from California would ask. Crawl around in the dark in your black getup."

"Marsha, we've been had again. Brings us to the family ranch and sticks the knife right in."

She crawled into my lap for a kiss and said, "At least it's not the Chinese military."

Two people who could only be Mark's mom and brother were walking down the drive towards us. We stood and went to meet them. After introductions, I said I would bring the car to the house by myself so they could stroll.

I sat on the porch step, waiting and thinking that just when life was calming down, the devious CIA guy had us heading back into trouble. Marsha walked up to me, smiling, and I could tell she was back in agent mode herself. Felt good. Might get shot at again.

It was almost cocktail hour, and after washing up, we gathered on the back porch with a marvelous view toward hills rising on the western skyline. Seemed too peaceful for a mob invasion nearby. Mark filled his family in on their houseguests.

"Marsha and Scott are new members of my team. Know the technology business backwards and forwards. Just broke a big case wide open. They are here for some R&R, and to poke around a bit."

He hesitated, and continued, "Mom, Joel got me to do a background check on the Harrisons, and the results are not good. Can't say anything more than that right now, but your guests are equipped for some investigating. They can't talk about the assignment, so please don't give them the third degree. Joel and I have agreed we aren't going to alert the Sheriff until there is more evidence."

Kate looked at her son and smiled, "Mark, don't be so serious. The ranchers in this valley have been dealing with rustlers and other crooks for a long time. Your mother knows how to keep her mouth shut!"

Marsha stood and asked, "May I borrow Mark for a few minutes?"

They strolled toward the corral fence, Marsha talking fast, and Mark nodding. In a few moments, they were headed back, a wide grin on his face. He took his seat, mumbling in my direction, "Damn, she is good."

Marsha got to give the pitch. "Scott and I came up here to see the country, and so far, Mark hasn't let loose of us for five minutes. I just convinced him our investigation would be more plausible if Scott and I explored your back country on short horseback trips. To make the cover story even better, we are going to have a guide. She is the daughter of the Deputy Sheriff in Sandpoint. A Nez Perce descendent I would trust to take us anywhere. If you agree, Scott will get on the phone and ask her Mom and Dad after dinner. One of us can drive up and provide transportation in a day or two."

Kate smiled, and said, "Wonderful idea. Perhaps Joel can go get her in his plane."

Mark gave me one of his 'gotcha' looks. I realized lots of Idaho ranchers must have planes to get around.

As we broke for dinner, Marsha took me aside and said, "Let me call Ellie and Meg first before you talk to Horace."

As we were filling our plates, Kate looked at Marsha's engagement ring and asked, "Why haven't you married this wonderful woman?"

Mark gave me another 'gotcha' look and I stumbled with "She won't stop going a hundred miles an hour long enough to get hitched."

As we sat down, Mom looked at Mark and said, "Young man, you are required to provide time and opportunity for a proper wedding. In my day, everyone would have said they are living in sin. That has to stop!"

Everyone laughed, which Mark followed by asking, "What about right here in your garden?"

The two women looked at each other in surprise, and clasped hands.

Marsha was pink. She stuttered, "I couldn't accept such generosity. A wedding is a big deal."

Kate and Joel answered together, "Nonsense, Valley people love weddings. A wonderful excuse for a party."

Twice in an hour, my fiancee had shellshocked me. I could only look at my plate and shudder. I did get a sympathetic look from Mark. I dimly heard Marsha say, "You are wonderfully generous. Let's talk about it more in the morning."

Knowing we needed to make phone calls, Kate shooed us from the table, saying dessert would be later.

Mark let us go upstairs to our room after saying, "Use one of your throwaway phones. Just in case."

Marsha saw the look in my eyes and said, "No attacks right now. This is serious business."

On the second ring, Meg answered her Mom's cell phone. "Hello?"

"Hi Margaret, it's Marsha. Are you home yet?"

"Hi. We are ten miles out, and road weary. What's up?"

"Please put the phone on speaker so you both can hear. Scott is with me, and we are at the Cooper Ranch just south of Cascade."

Ellie's voice asked, "Has that Mark guy got you in trouble again? Need a rescue?"

"Not exactly, but it turns out we need a backcountry guide. An Indian guide. Do you suppose we could borrow Meg for a couple of weeks before school?"

There was a scream in the background. "Oh Mom, you have to let me help them!"

I broke in, "Ellie, I know I need to ask Horace, but Marsha said the two of you needed to hear first. We promise to take care of your daughter. Actually, on horseback in the hills, she will be taking care of us."

Marsha took over. "The three of you need to talk this over. I'll get Scott to call Horace right now, and we'll give you a day to think it over. This is not an emergency."

Ellie's voice sounded calmer. "That's better. You know how Horace feels about the CIA. This isn't anything to do with that, is it?"

We looked at each other, and I said, "No. No national security angle at all."

"Good. Hang up and call my no account husband." She was laughing as Marsha closed the connection.

Ten miles wasn't far and I hurried with the call to Horace.

"Hello? Who's this?"

"Horace, this is Scott Thurston. Recently rescued by you and Ben. I've got Marsha with me at the Cooper Ranch near Cascade."

"My women aren't here yet. What have you done with them?"

Marsha responded, "Horace, I just talked to them. They are moments from home. You better have dinner ready."

"Marsha, you are as bad as they are. What can I do for you?"

Time for my man to man request. "Horace, we are going to be staying here for several weeks and want to get in a little backcountry time. Seeing as you have one of the most talented young guides in the State in your daughter, we were wondering if you would consent to our hiring her for two weeks to be our guide?"

"I'll be damned. I see them coming up the drive. She'll be off the wall, especially since Ellie has let her enroll at Boise State."

"Yes, the Dean of Admissions was really excited to have her apply. Listen, Marsha told Ellie that everyone there needed a chance to talk this over, and we will check in with you late tomorrow if that is ok?"

"Scott, that woman of yours is smart and strong willed, just like my two. I don't think we stand much of a chance, but I want your promise she isn't going to get tangled in any CIA stuff."

"Absolutely. You have my word." Click.

Marsha sat on me and pounded my chest. "Wasn't that a genius idea?"

"If she gets hurt, we are toast."

"Let's get dessert, this has been a good day."

There was ice cream in bowls for us in the freezer. The Coopers were on the back porch in the warm evening. Mark looked up with an inquiring gaze.

"Meg screamed when she heard the invitation, but we told the folks to talk it over and we would call tomorrow afternoon."

Mark smiled and said, "Sounds like a plan. I got a call of my own, and am out of here first thing in the morning. Kate says you are welcome to stay as long as you wish, even for a wedding."

The quiet conversation with our new friends put Marsha to sleep in my arms. I whispered good night and walked us upstairs.

The sun was up when my sheet was snatched off and a freshly showered Marsha landed full on top.

"Get up, for heaven's sake. This is a working ranch. We need to help with chores."

"What about sex chores?"

"Not a chance. Get moving."

All we had to wear was our touristy looking hiking clothes, but Kate didn't seem to notice as she poured two mugs of coffee and asked how we liked our eggs.

Marsha gave her a big hug and said, "You are NOT allowed to cook for us! Just being here is wonderful hospitality."

Marsha got a warm kiss on the cheek as Kate said, "We break the new horses easy like. Today a halter, tomorrow the bit."

I broke in, "Ma'am, I think you need to send the greenhorns to town for some duds. I think your horse would take one look and buck me off!"

Every time we looked up from our plates, there was more food. Marsha and I smiled and poked each other.

Kate asked, "Is anything wrong?"

Marsha spoke before I did. "This is the first real breakfast we have had in weeks. Helping your son does not leave time for food!"

"I heard you mention the Deputy Sheriff in Sandpoint. Were you involved in that shootout? Did Mark drag you into that?"

"Top Secret, Kate. But the answer is that Mark's people broke open a big case, and we helped."

"So, you must be spies? You seem awfully nice to be spies."

Marsha giggled and said, "Very junior spies, Mom, but we did have fun giving Mark a bit of a hard time."

Kate looked at me and said, "Your bride and I are going to have girl talk about a wedding. Why don't you find Joel and see which truck he is going to loan you?"

Joel was behind the barn, tending to a sore foot of one of the horses. "Good morning, Scott, did you sleep well?"

"Sure did. Slept through Reveille and was late to breakfast!"

"From what I hear about Sandpoint, you needed to catch up some. By the way, thanks for taking on this Harrison thing. Mark and I figure some serious mob action must be trying to locate here. The 95 highway goes right up to Canada, and straight down to Vegas in the other direction."

"Marsha and I need to go to town and find some ranch clothes. Kate said you would put me in one of the pickups."

"Sure thing. Since you are going to be advertised as family, I think the ten year old Ford will be fine. It's nice and muddy too."

Thirty minutes later, equipped with directions, Marsha and I were headed to town. Her smile didn't quit. I ventured, "You're actually thinking of marrying me?"

The punch was quick, followed by a kiss on my cheek. "Cold feet already? I should have known we weren't compatible."

"How can you tell? We never got to check in at that fancy lodge. And you ran away this morning."

"Aww, he is feeling neglected. You've forgotten having me and Meg both in that bed at the Youngblood's? I'm not sure I have forgiven you for that."

I kissed her hand. "Totally forgotten. When is my next chance?"

Another cheek kiss. "I want you too. That ranch house isn't terribly private. What about a horse ride with a picnic lunch?"

It didn't take a lot of navigating to find Erv's Clothing on the main drag. A woman dressed in a frontier shirt and jeans showed us the section in the back with hangers of western clothing of all kinds and sizes. After we had a basket full, I asked the woman, "We are Cooper relatives and Joel says he has a lot of chores that need doing. Is there by chance, anything used?"

Near the back door were several large bags. "Anything in here you may have for free, seeing that you are making a major purchase." She went to ring up the new duds while we dug in the bags.

Ten minutes later, we returned to the front desk looking definitely worse for wear. The woman took one look and said, "I thought I told you bums you are not welcome in this store!"

Her badge said Annette, so I leaned across the counter with a quick kiss. "Annie, you have saved our bacon. Can I get a dance at the next party?"

12