The Contractor Ch. 11-12

Story Info
Ros finds a new friend and Rik has another rescue.
5k words
4.76
15.8k
9

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/21/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,589 Followers

Chapter 11 Retired Again

I arrived in Barnstable just before ten that night. It had been a long day. The flight from Tucson to Houston, then Houston to Boston took a total of seven long hours. Then a rented car from Boston to Barnstable. My faithful old Crown Victoria was still sitting in El Cajon, gathering dust. Maybe it was time to sell it. Get rid of another connection to the past. What did I need it for now?

I parked on the driveway since I didn't have a garage door opener. I grabbed my bag and trudged into the garage and up the stairs to my suite. I could hear something, but it didn't sound like voices talking. As I got closer to my bedroom, I thought I recognized the sounds. Someone was enjoying sex in my bed.

What the hell. Since it was my place, I didn't have any hesitation in taking a look to see who was causing all the happy sounds. I looked into the semi-darkened room and got a surprise. It was Ros ... and some guy I had never seen before. They were enjoying each other's company, so I withdrew and went back down the stairs and across the breezeway into my parents' home.

"Hello. It's me, Rick," I called.

I heard someone coming and the first to appear was Sally, who squealed her delight in seeing me, quickly jumping into my arms.

"Rick! You didn't tell us you were coming. Are you all right?"

"Yeah," I said, looking over her shoulder and smiling at my mother and then my father as they appeared.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Good to be home, though."

Sally then covered her mouth with her hand and started to giggle.

"Let me guess. You went up to your room before you came over here?"

"Yeah. I see Ros has a boyfriend."

"Yes, she does. And he's not just any boyfriend. He's a famous author. He writes books under the name Garnet Green. His real name is John Johnson. I think he and mother are very compatible."

"Well, they were being very compatible when I looked in on them."

My mother blushed, but came to hug me in welcome. Dad followed to shake my hand, the only one that was available while I hung onto Sally.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here to let you know about Sally, Mom. I had something that needed to be done and I wanted her to be someplace safe."

"It isn't a problem, Rick. Sally and her mother are delightful and Ros has met such an interesting man. I think they might be serious about each other."

"I take it that Ros has commandeered the place in my absence. Where have you been sleeping, Sally?" I asked.

"In the guest bedroom. This is a lovely house and I already love the area. Your parents took me to Martha's Vineyard yesterday. What an amazing place."

"You're seeing it at its best. Summer is over and Mom and Dad will be getting ready to head to Naples soon. It can get pretty cold and miserable here in the winter."

"I want to go to Vermont and see the fall colors, Rick. Will you take me? I've heard so much about them and I want to see them in person."

"Yes ... I'll take you there. It's a nice two-day trip around the north of New England and upstate New York. It will be a nice break for both of us."

"We've enjoyed having both Sally and Rosalind here with us, Rick," Mom said. "They are such nice and interesting people. We're really glad you had them come here."

"I'm just happy they had a place to go that was safe, Mom. Their home in El Cajon might have been in danger, so this was as far away from there as I could get them."

"Well, you made a good decision. And now Rosalind has met someone special. I'm so happy for her."

My father hadn't said a word, but I saw him smile and nod now and then. He wasn't the talkative type to begin with, but I knew he approved of both Sally and Ros and it wasn't just because they were good company.

"When are you and Dad planning to go to Naples?" I asked.

"Oh, sometime in mid-October I think," she said, looking at my father for confirmation. "Are you and Sally planning to join us?"

Well, there it was. Mother was making the assumption that where I went, Sally went.

"I don't know, Mom. Sally and I haven't discussed it. I'll let you know in plenty of time, though.

"You know you are both very welcome."

"Gee, I hope so, Mom. As I recall, it's my name on the deed," I laughed.

"Oh ... you know what I mean," she said, now embarrassed.

"Relax, Mom. I know what you mean," I chuckled.

It was good to see that the women had been accepted by my parents and both were welcome in their home. That took a lot of tension out of what might otherwise have been a difficult situation. After all, they were strangers and their relationship to me was unclear. Then again, after Sally's enthusiastic greeting of me, maybe it wasn't so unclear after all.

I opened a beer and sat in the living room with my parents and Sally. There was no mention of what I had been doing the last few days and that was a relief. I'm sure my mother and father were curious, but they knew me well enough that I would tell them if it was interesting to them and I would keep quiet if it was something they shouldn't know about. This was definitely the latter.

Sally and I were sitting on the sofa, hand in hand, when Ros and her new boyfriend made an appearance.

"I didn't know you were back, Rick," Ros said, moving to me and hugging me with a chaste kiss on the cheek. I saw a car in the driveway and wondered who it was."

"Yeah, I just got in tonight. Good to be home again."

Ros turned to the man who was standing in the background watching the proceedings.

"Rick, this is John Johnson, a friend of mine. John, this is Rick Miller, Sally's friend."

"I understand you're an author," I said, extending my hand to him.

"That's right," he confirmed with a limp handshake. "I write mystery novels. Spy stuff, actually. Been very lucky and had some success."

"I've heard the name," I admitted. "How did you meet Ros?"

"Actually, I met Rosalind at a cocktail party in Hyannis that she attended. We were both unattached and hit it off."

"You're very fortunate, John," I smiled. "She's a special lady. Treat her with care."

"Oh, I intend to. You're quite right. She is very special," he said, turning to Ros with a warm smile.

I got the feeling that this guy wasn't just some gigolo that was on the prowl. I was pretty sure he was fairly wealthy if the number of his books on the paperback shelves was any indication. On the other hand, I got a strange sense of discomfort around him. No good reason for it that I could think of, but it was there, nonetheless. I couldn't place his accent. It certainly wasn't New York.

"Well, Ros," I smiled, "I guess you've been getting a good look at this part of the country over the past couple of months. How are you enjoying it? Quite different from Southern California, isn't it."

"I'm loving it, Rick. It is so different, so green and the people are so interesting. Of course I'm lucky to have met John. He's been my tour guide and constant companion for over a month now," she smiled, looking fondly at her boyfriend.

"Where do you call home, John?" I asked.

"My regular residence is in New York, but I also spend time in Dubrovnik. I love the place and it's full of intrigue and history. Ideal fodder for my novels."

"I'm anxious to see it," Ros said, holding John's arm. "I've seen pictures and it looks lovely."

"What brought you up here?" I asked him.

"My publisher has a place in Hyannis, near the Kennedy compound. I was invited when I submitted the final manuscript for my next novel. It was just a fluke that his cocktail party included Rosalind. She was by far the most elegant woman at the party. She stole my heart immediately."

"And how did you get invited to the party, Ros?" I asked. "I didn't know you knew anyone around here."

"A friend of my late husband lives in Boston and has a summer place near here. I made contact to renew old acquaintances and it was coincidence that he mentioned the party and that I might enjoy meeting some of the people. So ... I found a cocktail dress at a local shop and a pair of shoes and off I went. And that's where I met John."

"And look what's come of it," my mother exclaimed. I think she was as delighted that Ros had found someone as if she'd arranged it herself.

"And what do you do, Rick?" John asked.

"I'm retired from government service," I answered quickly.

"You're awfully young to be retired," he said, obviously curious.

"I may look for another career, but I'm in no rush and I want to enjoy some time with my friends and family. I've been traveling quite a bit and I'm ready for a break in the action."

"Understandable," he nodded. He probably didn't have a clue what I was talking about and he was just being polite.

"Well, it's been very nice to meet you, Rick. I'm sure we'll see each other again. I'll be here for another week or so before heading back to New York. My winter vacation is going to be postponed for a bit when they launch the new novel at Christmas. I'll be on the road promoting it. However, I'll be keeping in touch with Ros, so perhaps we'll see you then as well."

He paid his respects to my parents and he and Ros left the room. We sat once more and talked about various inconsequential events of the past couple of months. Ros returned after a few minutes. Apparently, John had parked his car in the garage ... in my spot I assumed.

My parents excused themselves to head off to bed. They retired early and, as the clock sounded eleven, it was well past their normal time.

"I heard you come up the stairs," Ros said to me when the three of us were alone. "I assume you saw or heard what was going on in the bedroom?"

I nodded. "Hard to miss."

"I apologize, Rick. He's staying with his publisher and has very little privacy. Your suite has been ideal for us. I won't let it happen again. I've changed the sheets. I'm sure you and Sally will want to stay there tonight. I'll sleep in the guest room."

"Don't get upset about it, Ros. I'm happy that you've found someone that you think is important enough to take to your bed. I know you well enough that you aren't going to do something like that with just anyone. And ... I doubt that it's just his celebrity that makes him attractive."

She smiled and looked almost embarrassed.

"He's a very nice man ... for a celebrity. It hasn't gone to his head. And ... he seems smitten with me. I wasn't expecting that. He could have his pick of women, but he wants me."

I could understand Ros's attraction to him. He was urbane, impeccably dressed, flowing blonde hair, a handsome six-foot specimen. He would always choose the right wine and go to the right parties. He would drive an exotic imported car and live in a penthouse ... or something like that. He might try to act like an ordinary guy, but you knew just talking to him that he wasn't. I didn't dislike him, and I hoped that he would treat Rosalind Baynes with respect. But ... there was the unanswered question: Who was he, really?

Ros excused herself shortly after our conversation and headed for the guest room. I stood and extended my hand to Sally, helping her up.

"Will you join me in my passion parlor?" I asked.

"Why ... I thought you'd never ask," she grinned.

If Sally had any reservations about what I done in the past four days, she didn't voice them. In fact, you'd think I'd been away for a month or more. She was after me like a cat after a mouse.

~*~

I called Harold Sinden the next morning on my secure phone.

"Hello, Harold. I'm in Cape Cod, enjoying the fall weather. How are you?"

"Just fine, Rick. To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?"

"Do you still have your Interpol contacts?"

"Yes, certainly. Is there something you need?"

"I need a check on a man passing himself off as John Johnson. He's an author writing under the name of Garnet Green. There's something about him that doesn't ring true. His current residence is New York City, but he has a place in Dubrovnik as well. Can you tell me if Interpol has any info on him?"

"I can try. What's he look like?"

"Six foot, two hundred pounds, long blonde hair, blue eyes, handsome, no visible scars. I could get fingerprints and a picture if that would help."

"Let me see what I can find out first," Harold replied. "Are you still in business?"

"No, this is personal. He's getting close to my lady friend's mother and my instincts tell me he's not what he seems."

"Ah, well, I'll call in a favour or two and let you know what I find out. In the meantime, I'm still hoping you'll join Orca as one of our key people."

"I'm probably leaning that way, my friend. Just be a bit more patient. I need a vacation right now. The last project was quite difficult."

"Yes ... so I've heard. Take care, Rick, and I'll get back to you."

We signed off and I put the phone away knowing that if anyone could find out just who John Johnson was, it would be Harold. I didn't have to tell him that it was important to me because he knew I wouldn't ask otherwise.

~*~

Sally and I took up residence at Barnstable, planning to move to Naples in late October, giving my parents a chance to get settled for the winter. I showed her around New England, giving her a chance to see the fall colors in all their splendor. In fact, it had been years since I'd enjoyed the sights, so we were both exploring them as if for the first time.

There were no calls coming from my former employer and I was gradually beginning to accept that there would be none. I was now formally retired. Of course, that begged the question of what to do next. Money wasn't an issue. I had a considerable sum tucked away in an offshore account. It would last me a very long time. But the truth is, I've never been very good at doing nothing. I needed something to keep me occupied, hopefully with a good deal less violence and risk than my previous career. Harold's company seemed like a good bet.

Chapter 12 Too Much Like Work

It was almost ten days before I heard from Harold Sinden. That implied that either there was nothing to be known about John Johnson, or conversely, a lot more than met the eye.

"Well, Rick, you certainly find interesting ways to challenge us. It took a bit of searching, but I think we've got a handle on your man. I'm sending you a photo of someone and you can let me know if this is the man you have been asking about."

"Send away," I said, watching my little screen for something to appear. In a few seconds, the head and shoulders of a man appeared and I examined it closely. It wasn't a recent picture, but I was 99% certain it was John Johnson.

"That's him," I said. "Tell me what you know."

"His real name is Janus Jovanovic. He was born in 1961 in Zagreb, but has lived in both Belgrade and Sarajevo before moving to Dubrovnik. He speaks most of the Yugoslav dialects quite fluently and passed himself off as a businessman. He was educated in England at Liverpool University and speaks English fluently, as you have already discovered.

"It seems his success as a writer of fiction is quite accidental. It's more of a profitable hobby. His real interests lie with trading in drugs, I'm told. Most of them are smuggled out of Albania we think, and end up in Italy for furtherance. We don't know how much money he has stashed away to be certain, but it is well in excess of €250 million. Far more than he would ever earn from pulp novels."

"Holy shit, that's amazing. Is he a ringleader or just a conduit?"

"No, he's one of the top organizers, backed by the Russian Mafia we think. He's a very dangerous man and I'd be very careful around him if I were you."

"My problem is that Sally's mother has fallen for him and is his constant companion. I'm not sure what to do about that."

"Well, I suppose you could warn her, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. We could let the authorities take care of him, but the word is that they are trying to move through him to the key players in Russia."

"I have access to him," I said. "I could use my usual tactics."

"That might have some fallout on both sides of the equation, Rick. In any event, I caution you to take care, whatever you decide."

"Thanks, Harold. As always, you come through for me when I really need it. Thank you."

So much for vacation time. Now what do I do? Tell Sally? Not yet. Take Johnson out? Risky and probably bad for Ros. I needed a strategy and I didn't have one yet. Ros would probably be on the road with Johnson while he was on his book tour. I didn't think anything would happen that would endanger her there. If anything, she would be vulnerable in Dubrovnik if she went there with him.

It also brought up some other questions. Johnson was rich far beyond what we might think of a successful writer. With his looks and money, he could have any woman he chose. Why Ros? Not that she wasn't beautiful, but why a fifty-year-old widow when he could have any number of young, nubile wenches to satisfy his lusts? There had to be a reason.

Sally and I spent another month in New England, enjoying the particularly nice fall weather. We did the usual sight-seeing and otherwise just enjoyed relaxing in each other's company. It was nearing the time for us to leave for Florida when Sally came to me.

"Rick, I can't seem to get ahold of mother. I have her cell phone number, but I don't have the number for John's apartment in New York. Apparently it's unlisted. Do you think you could get it for me?"

"Are you worried about her?" I asked, wondering if her woman's intuition had alerted her to what I had learned about Mr. Johnson.

"It's not like her to be off her phone. I've left several messages, but so far no reply. She's addicted to her iPhone."

"Okay, give me a minute." I took my phone out of my pocket and looked up the number Harold had given me. I was quietly kicking myself for not following up sooner once I learned who John Johnson really was.

I pressed in the number and waited at the call went through. It rang several times before it was picked up and I handed the phone to Sally.

"Mother? Is that you? Are you all right?"

Pause

"You don't sound right. What's wrong?"

Pause

"Is John there?"

Pause

"When is he coming back?"

Pause

"Okay, you stay in. We'll come down to visit. You don't sound good. We'll be there soon."

Pause

"It's no trouble, Mom. We'll see you soon. Bye for now."

Sally had a worried look on her face when she handed me back my phone.

"She doesn't sound right. She sounds dopey ... sleepy. Something's wrong, Rick. I need to go there."

"Not without me," I said. "Pack a bag ... enough for several days. We'll catch the shuttle out of Logan."

I had withheld the information on Johnson deliberately so as not to upset Sally. I hadn't figured out what to do about it anyway, and to be honest with myself, I had stalled doing anything. By the sound of it, that time was past.

"I got the impression John wasn't at the apartment," I said as we hustled to pack and head toward Boston.

"Mom said he was away on business for a couple of days. She thought he might be back tomorrow. She sounded out of it, Rick. I'm worried. She might be sick."

"We'll be there quick enough, Sal. There's a flight every hour by several airlines, so we can be there this afternoon."

~*~

Sally buzzed the apartment listed for Johnson, J. and waited for a response. It took a while, but finally a vague voice came on the speaker.

"Yes?"

"It's me, Mom. Sally. And Rick. Can we come up?"

"Oh ... Sally ... yes ... let me push this button."

I heard the zap of the electric lock and I pushed the door to the inner lobby open. Johnson's apartment was on the tenth floor. By the look of the building there would only be four apartments on each floor unless they were exceptionally large. We rode the elevator silently, Sally now visibly worried. The sound of Ros's voice was distant and slow, almost as if she was just waking from a sleep.

coaster2
coaster2
2,589 Followers
12