The Council Ch. 04

Story Info
The struggle for Power.
9.8k words
4.86
107.7k
56

Part 4 of the 19 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 08/06/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,489 Followers

Cedar lay with her hand on Alexei's chest feeling the rapid beating of his heart against her palm. His eyes opened slowly and she was pinned in their smoky brown depths as he pierced her with a look that screamed possessiveness. She was already fighting to control her breathing after the wild, tumultuous passion they had just shared, but now she couldn't seem to draw a single breath for the space of at least three heartbeats.

He knew!

The way his gaze kept her pinned mercilessly was enough to convince her that he knew everything, that he understood what was happening between them. When he had come to her last night, he had not been so certain, she was sure of that. He had been calmer than she had expected him to be, less aggressive despite his little game, but the utter conviction of knowing he was her mate had not been in his eyes. Now it was and she didn't know what to do about it.

Cedar hated being uncertain. It wasn't in her nature to question herself. She always knew what she was doing and why she was doing it. But for the life of her she couldn't work out what to do at the moment. Should she ask him outright? He hadn't said anything and despite his intense gaze he didn't look like he was about to either.

"Cat got your tongue, Cedar?" he suddenly whispered silkily, his lips tugging in a slight smile. "You look like you're about to choke if you don't spit out whatever it is you're trying so hard not to say."

She swallowed loudly at the slightly mocking tone in his voice. He was bloody playing with her! He wasn't about to admit to anything. He was waiting for her to be the one to ask, to bring the whole question of their being mates out into the open. She bit the inside of her lip to keep silent, struggling not to frown as another thought struck her.

Would he class it as a lie if she kept silent? It was technically a lie by omission if she said nothing. Would that breach the rules of his game or could she work it into the condition applicable to the pack? It would be extremely detrimental to the pack if it came out that Weres could mate with vampires. She knew even as she thought it that it was a weak argument. Alexei could counter that easily with him being her mate and being unable to do anything which would cause her any harm.

Alexei tried hard not to laugh out loud at the consternation on Cedar's beautiful face. She seriously did look like she was about to choke as she tried to work out what to do for the best. She managed to school her expression for the most part but she kept swallowing hard, a slightly panicked look entering her eyes. He really should put her out of her misery but now he had scratched his itch he was more of a mind to continue playing with his sexy little wolf.

The ringing of her cell phone put an end to his entertainment and he growled softly as he reached out to the bedside table on his side and picked it up. A quick look at the display showed the name Jared. "It's your Alpha," he drawled softly, handing her the phone. "Probably calling to see if you're still alive," he added with a laugh.

His monitoring of her call irritated her and she scowled at him as she rose from the bed and answered the call.

"I believe you have something you want to tell me?" Jared asked curtly in his no nonsense Alpha voice.

Cedar swallowed again only this time it was not the annoying vampire in her bed who was making her uneasy. "Jared," she answered, trying to make her voice sound normal even as she was trying to hide a slight flush to her face at the rebuke in her Alpha's voice. "I had every intention of telling you as soon as I knew if it was a real possibility."

"And was it?" he barked back at her, still clearly annoyed. "Did he come to your house last night? Or should I be asking if he's still there?"

"Yes to both questions," she said quietly crossing the room to pick up her robe from where it was lying on a chair in the corner and sliding into it. "Do you want me to come to the compound?"

"I want you to tell me I didn't make a mistake giving Alexei your address last night, that you're okay," he answered, his voice slightly less irate, a hint of concern creeping into his tone.

Cedar blinked in surprise and sat down in the chair she'd just liberated her robe from. "It was you?" she gasped softly. She hadn't even wondered how Alexei had found out where she lived. She had just assumed he has found the information out somehow using his vampire skills. That it was her Alpha who had supplied the information shocked her immensely.

"He was skulking around the compound," Jared answered, almost sounding sheepish this time. "Luckily for him it was me who scented him and not some of the younger pack members. You know how skittish some of them still are. It was also lucky that Loretta had visited with Andrei earlier too and so I was informed of the situation which had arisen." His tone hardened slightly making it clear that he was still put out by only now finding out about the matings.

Cedar felt herself wilt slightly. She had disappointed her Alpha and she felt bad about it. Jared and Millie had placed such trust in her and she had let them down. "I'm sorry, Jared," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

There was silence on the other end of the phone and then a long, weary sigh. "As I told Loretta, we'll work something out somehow. What's done is done," he conceded. "Both of you will have the full support of the pack, the same support we would give to all pack members." Jared's tone was gentler now, more supportive and it helped ease her discomfort.

A low growling noise from the bed had her looking over to see Alexei watching her with eyes there were glittering with barely controlled rage. She suddenly realised he could most probably hear both sides of the conversation on the phone and he was clearly unhappy about what he was hearing.

"Jared, do you want me to stop by the compound?" she asked again, her tone brisker and almost back to normal.

"No, just keep me informed on what's happening. Call me daily if you're not planning on visiting the compound any time soon, just so I know he hasn't killed you."

Cedar quickly ended the call and then looked at Alexei with an irritated expression. The stupid vampire was still growling. "What is you problem?" she demanded sharply. She'd already had to put up with one dressing down already. Now she had to put up with Alexei acting like an ass?

Alexei growled again only this time it was the tone of her voice that was setting off his anger. It was adding to the rage he felt bubbling inside him which had sprang up quickly as he had listened to the way Jared had spoken to her. The way her face had paled, the stricken expression which had crossed it, the subdued, submissive tone to her voice had instantly infuriated him. No one had any right to do that to his wolf. He didn't give a fuck if Jared Hanlon was her Alpha. If he spoke to her like that again he would......he would get pissed as hell and do absolutely nothing about it.

Which only served to irritate him even more? He couldn't hurt her Alpha because that would hurt her. His reading of the whole Were pack life made it abundantly clear that the Alpha's word was law unless he was challenged for his position. Pack laws were part of who Cedar was, what she was used to, what was normal for her. It didn't mean that he had to like it but if he was going to be walking in her world then it was something he was going to have to come to terms with somehow.

Her irritation at him clearly indicated that she wouldn't appreciate him getting involved in the conversation she'd just had with Jared. He snorted loudly. Conversation? More like dressing down from what he'd heard. He struggled to dampen down his anger but he was failing quite miserably at it. He wanted to break something, anything, preferably Jared Hanlon's face.

He shot up from the bed and flew across the room to her, pulling her up from the chair and hissing loudly in her face. "Don't push me, Cedar," he growled quietly after taking a deep breath to control his rage. "I'm already struggling to control my anger at the way your Alpha spoke to you." The way he hissed out the word Alpha was enough to let her know just how infuriated he was.

Cedar swallowed hard as she stared up into his irate face. Damn, this was all she needed! She hadn't thought about how Alexei would react to her status within the pack. Yes, she had known that there was a good possibility she would have to leave the pack to be with him, that he would be uncomfortable being a part of pack life because of his natural bias towards all Weres. But she hadn't considered that he would object to Jared so much, that his need to protect her as his mate would conflict so badly with Jared's position of authority over her.

"He is my Alpha, Alexei and I let him down," she answered as calmly as she could, trying not to anger him any further. "He is responsible for the safety of two hundred people and my actions have impacted on that. It is his right to be angry about it whether you agree with it or not."

His nostrils flared and his breath hissed out in irritation but the hands on her arms gentled slightly and she could see him making a huge effort to contain his fury. A deep rush of pride welled up inside her as she watched her beautiful vampire struggle with his emotions. He was trying so very hard and she knew how difficult it was for him. He wasn't used to curtailing his feral nature.

They stared at each other for another long moment before Alexei released her and stalked back to the bed, throwing himself down on his back. He was still clearly annoyed but he was in control again, his temper firmly leashed.

Cedar wondered again if she should broach the whole mating discussion. Jared hadn't actually said the words on the phone but the context of the conversation had clearly been about that.

"Don't think I'm going to accede to his authority too." Alexei said quietly, a disgruntled edge to his tone. His words surprised her and her eyes flew to his in shock. He was watching her intently, his expression closely guarded though his eyes had a febrile glitter to them. His lips twitched in a little smile at her stunned expression. "I grew weary of you looking like you were ready to choke, Cedar," he said wryly.

She approached the bed cautiously as she tried to work out what she was going to say. That he had caved in first and admitted he knew what was happening between them, stunned her. He didn't appear to be particularly bothered about it either. But he could just be playing with her again. He appeared to like his little games, a lot.

"Remember the rules, wolf," he growled softly. "This doesn't fall under the condition either." He reached up and grabbed her hand, tugging her down onto the bed beside him and rolling until she was beneath him and he was staring down into her face. "Just when were you going to tell me about this little mating issue?" His tone was silkily soft, too soft for her liking.

"I don't know," she admitted honestly. "I hadn't quite worked out when would be the best time to bring it up. Or even if there was a best time to do so."

Alexei's eyes flitted over her face, the heat of her body stirring his lust again even as he searched her expression intently to see if she was telling him the truth. Again he saw a slight hint of vulnerability in her eyes. It was so at odds with her usual arrogance that most people would probably never notice it about her but he did. It brought out the need for him to protect her, to keep her safe from everything.

His protective side was usually reserved for his brother. And possibly Demetri too. Staring down into Cedar Alexander's stunning face he sucked in a deep breath as it hit him just how much he needed to protect her. The sudden need inside him rivalled even what he felt for Andrei and for a moment he actually felt a little flutter of fear at just how much power she had over him, how vulnerable she was making him.

If anyone discovered how vital she was to him they could use her as a weapon against him. He had many enemies who wouldn't think twice about hurting her to get to him. Just the thought of one single hair being harmed on her beautiful head was enough to send him into a blinding rage. She shivered slightly in his arms and he realised he was growling again. Fuck, he sounded like a bloody wolf the way he kept growling in her presence!

He leaned down and gave in to the temptation to kiss her. It had been at least twenty minutes since he had last tasted her luscious lips and he wanted to take the look of vulnerability from her eyes. He didn't like seeing that expression on her face. A nice lusty, wanton expression was so much more appealing.

He slanted his lips over hers and dived eagerly into her mouth with his hot tongue, finding and engaging hers in an erotic dance that let her know in no uncertain terms just want he wanted to be doing with her.

"Alexei," she groaned pulling her mouth away from his and uttering a little moan when he simply brushed his lips against the side of her neck instead. "We need to talk about this," she tried again even though the feel of his mouth against her heated skin was sending her heart racing and a delicious ache to begin deep inside her body.

"No we don't," he murmured against her collarbone. "It will only make me angry and I'd much rather be doing this." He pushed aside her robe and pinched a nipple hard, making her cry out and arch into his hands. He laughed softly and tweaked at her nipple again, delighting in the reaction he received from doing so.

Cedar was two seconds from caving in and forgetting everything but the touch of his hands and mouth on her body. With another groan she pushed hard at his chest until he stopped trying to ravish her body and lay down on his back with a deep rumble of disapproval.

"Fine! You want to talk about this?" he snapped in frustration. "Yes, I know you're claiming me as your mate. Yes, I know it's completely absurd, but it appears I have no choice in the matter so it's bloody pointless fighting it! And no, I have no intention of joining your silly little pack so don't even bother asking me to. Now I think that answers most points but if it doesn't the rest can wait because it's all I'm going to say on the subject right now."

He turned his head to look at her, his eyes flashing so darkly they were almost black. His expression clearly dared her to open her mouth, to even try and push him any further. She would regret it if she did because he was about at the end of his patience with her. He had precious little to begin with at the best of times.

Cedar held his gaze, knowing if she looked away he would see it as a sign of weakness. His little outburst was unexpected but very informative. It confirmed everything she had guessed. He knew, he was accepting it and he wasn't happy about it. She had to fight hard not to smile. Her wolf was ecstatic. They had their mate, now they just had to figure out how to claim him properly.

She licked her lips nervously as she tried to decide how to answer his outburst. His gaze automatically lowered to her mouth and his breath hissed out as he reached for her and pulled her on top of him, his mouth grinding hard against hers.

Cedar moaned and pressed her body against his trying to get her robe off so there was nothing between their hot skin. The sudden shrill ringing of her cell phone brought a muffled curse from Alexei's lips and a deep groan from hers.

"Ignore it!" he ordered, kissing her again and trying to tune out the incessant ringing of the phone.

"Alexei, it might be Jared again," she murmured against his lips, trying to disentangle herself from his grasp. "It could be important."

He cursed again and let her go as his frustration level hit an all time high. Weren't Weres supposed to be insatiable when it came to sex? The books he'd read said they indulged themselves liberally. Had he chosen the most sexually repressed bloody wolf for his woman? How could she even think about answering a damned phone when he was rock hard and desperate to be sliding deep inside her body once more?

He heard her saying hello to 'James' and felt his anger surge instantly. It was Mr Tall, Blond and Handsome from the night before. The one she'd kissed on the cheek and who'd put his hand on her waist.

With a muffled groan Alexei pulled himself up from the bed and headed towards the door that led into the bathroom. It slammed shut behind him as he turned on the shower and stepped quickly beneath it, fixing the temperature once he was inside.

He really didn't want to listen to her have a conversation with her work colleague. Listening to her talk to her Alpha had been more than enough for one morning. He resigned himself to the fact that he wasn't going to get to indulge himself in her delights any time soon. She had said she needed to take a file into work for 'James'. Which would mean he was calling because he needed it.

Alexei snorted lightly and shook his head ruefully as the water rushed over his aching body. Cedar Alexander was driving him insane already and he'd been in her company less than twenty-four hours. This was what he had to look forward to? Uncontrolled emotions ripping through him endlessly? He was jumping from lust to frustration to fury all in a matter of seconds. Add in the protectiveness and the jealousy and he didn't know whether he was coming or going from one moment to the next.

He had to get a handle on his emotions. He had to work out some way to deal with being with Cedar which didn't involve him rolling over in submission to her.

"Everything okay, Cedar?" James asked as the bathroom door closed with a resounding bang behind the irate vampire.

She rolled her eyes as she sighed softly. "Yes, fine," she answered her colleague. "Just the wind catching a door." It was a lie but not one that related directly to her game with Alexei so he couldn't call her out on it. "So, when do you need the file?"

"Any chance you can get it to me by ten?"

She eyed up the bedside clock. It would take half an hour to get ready, twenty minutes to get to work. It had just gone eight, which left her an hour to spare. "Ten's perfect, James. See you then."

She hung up and switched the phone off completely. She had one irate vampire in her shower and one hour to soothe his irritation. Anymore interruptions and he was likely to explode. Rolling her eyes again Cedar headed toward the bathroom.

Alexei was still grumbling under his breath, his head under the water which was probably why he didn't hear her enter the bathroom. He scented her though but kept his head under the spray. A soft hand ran lightly over his ass, the other running over the hunched muscles of his back. Damn, she was doing that back thing again. Was she hoping to put him to asleep again? There was no chance of that, not the way his body was throbbing and the speed his lust was escalating deep inside him.

Cedar roamed her hands over his back and ass, marvelling at how sculpted his body was. She hadn't had a great deal of opportunity to admire him earlier but she intended to take her time to do so now. He was so taut, his muscles finely honed, his skin hot and wet from the shower. It was all she could do not to rub herself against him and start purring. Which was a pretty strange thought to have because she was a wolf not a panther.

He allowed her to have her way with him which she found a little surprising. She could feel the tenseness in his body, the hard sexual need which he was holding rigidly in check. She expected him to turn around and take her with little or no foreplay involved. Instead he continued to lean his hand against the tiled wall and let her hands stroke over his body.

She slid her hands around his waist and gave into the temptation to lean against him. She stroked his stomach lightly feeling it contract and a low groan issue from his throat. She liked the fact that they were almost of an equal height. It meant she could rub herself against the taut cheeks of his ass as her hands slipped lower and stroked slowly over his throbbing shaft.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,489 Followers