The Day My Life Ended and Began Ch. 02

Story Info
Tom gets comfortable in the calm before the storm.
1.6k words
4.59
13.9k
4

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/22/2022
Created 06/25/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
holyrazer
holyrazer
14 Followers

Chapter 2: Getting In The Groove

I'd been on the farm about two weeks when it started to come naturally to me. All the classroom work was nothing compared to feeling it first-hand, and back, and shoulders, and legs... I was so tired and sore that first week I thought I would die, and I was used to hard work in football and weight training! I'll never forget my second day there when John showed me how to run the tractor and baler. Then, when he felt I had a handle on it, he had me climb on the wagon and off we went to parts unknown. We arrived at the field, and any illusions I had of actually running the tractor were quickly erased! I learned that day how to stack bales, and more importantly, how NOT to stack bales! But I caught on quick and soon John spotted a white 4x4 crossing where we had been. Maggie was making a dinner run. We had still warm roasting ears, mashed potatoes, and cold fried chicken. She handed us each a glass, and produced a, God knows how, full pitcher of lemonade.

We ate and drank our fill, while Maggie informed John that Billy would be getting home a few days earlier than anticipated. I still had yet to hear anymore of this 'Billy', and my curiosity was piqued. All too soon it was time to go back to work. We finished the field as the sun was sinking, and I was never so thankful. When we got back to the farm, I learned how to toss bales into a loft. I thought to myself, much more learning and I'm gonna sleep for a month! That finished, we fed the animals by flashlight and went to wash up for supper. That night with a full belly, I laid in bed and dreamed of the poor hapless college kid that would someday be coming to work on my farm. That's why Mr. James said not to thank him! The next two weeks passed much in the same fashion, with the only variation being the work done, the hours stayed the same. I grew stronger, I gained endurance, but most importantly, I learned.

After I had been there two weeks John called me up to the main house on a Saturday afternoon, we quit at dinner on the weekends, perplexed I hurried up the porch. As I entered the kitchen wondering what I had done wrong, John stood from his seat and came towards me. I could see his right fist was balled, bracing myself for impact I stood stock-still as he closed the last two feet. He thrust his hand out showing my widened eyes three $100 bills. While I stuttered something about a dirty joke he just laughed and told me that this was the left over money from my wages to do with as I pleased. Unbelieving, I timidly reached for the cash, when he didn't withdraw his hand I accepted the money. I thanked he and Maggie for the generous pay, they replied that we'd done more in two weeks than John could've in a month on his own. I placed the bills in my wallet and headed to town with a list in mind. I went to the Wal-Store (every town has one now, right?) and got a few yards of the two prettiest fabrics they had, two good pair of supple leather work gloves, a couple of farm living magazines, and a 12-pack of Dr. Salt soda for my apartment.

I put a tank of gas in my truck and headed to the bank to deposit the remainder. When I got back I took the magazines and other items to my "home" to divvy up. The fabric I folded neatly and placed in a paper bag I had cut down to function as wrapping paper, then taped it closed. The work gloves got a similar treatment. The remaining gloves and others were for me. I carried the gifts I had made to the house, entering as quietly as possible for a 300 pound man, I laid them on the table and left. Not yet supper time, I walked back to the barn and decided to enjoy a cold soda and check out my reading material. I hadn't even gotten five pages in when I heard a knock on my door. Since Maggie never came in here I hollered for John to come on in. The door opened and the first thing I see is a slightly curly blonde head peek around the edge of the door. I immediately stood up and headed for the door.

"Maggie! I'm so sorry! I thought it was John. Do you need help with something?"

"Tom. Why did you buy us those things? That money was for you to spend on yourself!"

"Begging your pardon, Miss Maggie, but John told me to spend it as I wished. So I did. I bought myself a few things, and filled my tank. A couple small gifts for you guys still left me with money for the bank."

"What, if you don't mind my asking, did you get for yourself?"

"I grabbed a new pair of gloves for myself, a few magazines, and some soda. Why?"

"Just that, one of the fabrics you gave me cost more than all you spent on yourself! Why did you get me the fabrics Tom?"

"Well I thought you might like to have some new dresses or aprons or something, not that you don't look pretty now, but, uh..." I flushed with embarrassment. This was not going as I had thought. I studied the floor now with great interest. "What I mean to say is..."

"Oh, hush." she saved me. "I know what you meant! You dear boys never know how to just talk to a girl. It was a sweet gift Tom. But I think I can find a better use for the fabrics than to cover my bag of bones! And I tell you what, you've learned a great deal from my John, but it's time you had a few lessons from 'School Marm Maggie'! So starting right now you and I are gonna talk. Just talk, about whatever tickles your fancy." She was right, I didn't know how to talk to girls. I could talk to Mother, sure. But a real girl that wasn't responsible for my creation? NOPE. In all my life I had two dates, count 'em one, two. Even then I barely said two words the whole night. For all my strength and masculinity, a 5'and change dainty little thing could render me helpless! When she sat down and looked at me still stupidly standing by the open door, she giggled and patted the seat next to her at the small table in my kitchen. I shuffled over and sat suddenly entranced by the wood grains in the table top. She daintily cleared her throat and said "Well shall I begin then? Tom what made you pick the fabrics you did? And be honest, no matter the answer it stays with us here."

"Um, I guess I picked them because I thought that they would look really pretty against your hair and eyes. I know Mother always liked to have a couple dresses she only wore for nice things, and I thought you might be wanting some new ones yourself. Not that the ones you already have look poorly, I mean, I don't know what you have in your closet, but girls like pretty, new things now and then right? Do you not like them? I could probably give them to Mother if you'd rather some other I will gladly pay for your choice." I said this all in one big breath, my eyes never leaving the table top for one second. I could talk to a girl, this was easy!

"Look at me in the eyes and tell me Tom."

'Shit!' "Mrs. Anders I just wanted to get you something to make you happy John hired ME. I thought you were a pretty lady and would like to have the prettiest fabric I could find." Sweat was pouring from me as I finished, it quickly chilled in the cool a/c. She studied my eyes for a moment and seemed to make a decision.

"Tom. The colors and styles of fabric you picked out are lovely. You seem to have really put some thought into this shopping trip. The truth is I would have never bought them myself. They are far too expensive for my taste, and John could care less if I wore a burlap sack around! And I meant that in the best way you could imagine! I will stitch something out of them, but you won't see it until the 4th of July dance." I caught a twinkle in her eye as she rose. "This was a good talk Tom. We must do it again soon."

Sunday morning was uneventful outside of one occurrence. John walked up to me while I was filling the water trough for the horses. He was carrying a bale of hay to the fence near where I stood with the hose. After the bale was busted and tossed in the paddock, he made a big show of taking off his new gloves saying "These here are a working man's glove. A fella sure could get a lot of workin done 'fore these wear out!". Nothing more was ever said, didn't need to be. I had settled into a groove if you will. I felt in control, at home, and proud of the work I was doing, in short, comfortable. But that was all about to change very quickly.

holyrazer
holyrazer
14 Followers