The Defiled Ch. 01-02

Story Info
150 years after an apocalyptic event...
4.3k words
4.34
13.1k
9

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/19/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

The young woman sat silently at her perch in the large tree. She looked from between the branches as the rest of the tribe went about their day. She wished, not for the first time, to be anywhere but here. She knew that shortly her mother would send her sister to find her, but until then she had a few precious moments to herself.

At 21, Miranda was in her prime. She knew she had so much more to offer the world than just being a breeder for her tribe. As far as her mother and everyone else was concerned, all she had to offer was her uterus and her cooking skills. All women of the tribe were groomed to be nothing more than wives and mothers. They were not expected, nor were they permitted, to do anything else.

They were supposed to be quiet and demure, raise their children, and keep house for their husbands. The men on the other hand, got to see the world outside the confines of the settlement. They got to hunt, and scour the swamp for the defiled. They were allowed a say in how things were run. Women got to do as they were told, and stay safe at home.

Miranda was the oldest daughter of Jeremiah and Beatrice Lafayette. Jeremiah was the chieftain of their settlement, so Miranda was sought after by every man in their small tribe, and the closest settlements. She had managed to avoid being betrothed to any of them by sheer determination and obstinacy so far. She knew that soon her parents were going to take the choice out of her hands though. Her father was becoming increasingly more forceful in his ploys to get her to accept some man or other.

She was becoming desperate in her wish to be away from them, and out from under the thumb of their traditions. She remembered the stories that were told by Margaret, the tribe's historian, about how women used to live before the defiled came. Women were equal to men, they held jobs outside of the home, and they had power. Women weren't subservient to men and bred to the point of exhaustion. They were valued for their intelligence as well as their ability to be a good wife. According to Margaret and the rest of the tribe's elders though, this fact, and the pride of the world that existed before, is what led to the defiled almost eliminating life from the face of the earth.

The defiled had been a part of life for as long as Miranda had been alive. It had been close to 150 years since the last city had fallen to their unending siege against humanity. Their tribe, and the few villages around them, had managed to survive by hiding in the swamps of what used to be Louisiana, in the world before. They had turned their backs on the unclean ways of the world, and because of that, they had been spared. Though, Miranda often wondered if this existence was even worth it. She felt so stifled, and wanted so much more than this.

She was just as capable as the men, and more so than some. Her father had indulged her as a child, and allowed her to train with her brother, Giroux, and the other boys their age. They were taught to track, shoot a bow, to kill the defiled, and to survive on their own in the swamp. She was made to stop when she became a woman, but her brother had helped her to keep up with her skill. She took every opportunity that presented itself to keep herself sharp.

Miranda lifted her long dark hair off of her neck to try and catch a breeze to cool her sweat soaked skin. Most days she hated the dresses they were made to wear, but on days like this, she was glad for the light cotton and how breathable it was. The sleeveless knee-length dress clung to her tan body, and outlined her generous curves almost scandalously. She was leaning back against the trunk of the tree, gazing at the sky, when she heard a very unwelcome voice down below her.

"Miranda!" Her younger sister, Hannah, stood at the base of the tree glaring up at her. "Mama asked you to start the wash almost an hour ago! What are you doing up there?"

"I'm coming, Hannah," she said as she shifted off of the branch she was on, and began to climb down. She was careful not to catch her skirt on any branches on the way down. The last thing she needed to hear was another lecture from Mama about modesty and decorum. "Proper ladies don't behave in such a shameful manner," is what she would probably say if she saw her now.

Hannah was standing there with her hands on her hips when Miranda reached the ground. Her younger sister was slightly shorter than her, but she had the same dark hair and eyes as their mother, just like Miranda. At 18, Hannah's curves weren't quite as pronounced as hers, but Miranda often thought she would be the loveliest of her sisters in a few years.

"Please explain to me, again, why you feel the need to run off any chance you get, and leave me to deal with Mama?" Hannah complained with a disgruntled look on her face.

"I just need time to myself now and again, Hannah. I'm sorry," Miranda explained.

"Well, you can tell that to Mama when she asks where you were, and why you weren't helping to get everything ready for tomorrow," Hannah said with a scowl.

"Let's go. I really am sorry, sweetie. I know tomorrow is important to you. I just needed to get away for a little while. Let's get back to work. Tomorrow is going to be everything you ever dreamed it would be," Miranda said as they started back to their parents' house.

"Do you really think so?" Asked Hannah

"I know so," smiled Miranda.

They reached the house, and heard their mother inside belting out orders to the rest of their sisters. Everyone was in a rush to get things ready for Hannah's coming out party tomorrow. It was the custom for girls of the tribe to have a party on their 18th birthday, when they would be allowed to start courting. Before that they were never to spend time with the opposite sex outside of their parents' sight. Even after they came out, girls were not permitted to be with a man without a chaperone. Ladies were never alone with a man until their wedding night. It was unheard of in the settlement. "The height of unseemly behavior," as Mama often said. Girls who broke this rule found themselves married off to the man they were alone with, or sent to relatives in the surrounding settlements to find a husband.

Hannah had turned 18 that morning, and the whole settlement was abuzz. The chieftain's daughter would have a very large gathering in her honor. Families from the surrounding settlements were already arriving, and most of them brought along sons that had yet to find wives. It was a chance for all of the unmarried young women to meet new men, and hopefully attract the attention of one.

Miranda just couldn't wait for it to be over. She knew that several of the families were bringing men her father intended to parade her in front of. He was getting very irritated with his headstrong daughter's refusal to choose a husband. It wasn't from lack of suitors, that much was certain. She couldn't walk five paces around here without having her parents wave some interested young man under her nose. She just wasn't interested. She wanted more out of life than anyone around here was willing to give her.

As she got back to work doing the wash, and hanging it to dry, she thought about Hannah's excitement. Hannah couldn't wait for tomorrow. She had been looking forward to this day from the time she understood what it meant. Miranda just couldn't understand it. She had dreaded her coming-out. She hadn't wanted to start courting. She had begged her father not to make her go through with it. Hannah on the other hand, was the perfect lady. She was always dignified and courteous. She was proper to a fault. She wanted the life they were expected to have in a way Miranda had never understood.

As different as they were though, Miranda and Hannah had always been extremely close. Out of all her sisters, Hannah was her favorite. They were the closest in age, and they were more like friends than sisters. Sarah, Josephine, and Maria were good girls too, but they had never been as close to her as Hannah. So, as much as she didn't understand her sister's excitement, she wanted to do everything she could to make her day as special as possible tomorrow.

The rest of the day passed in an activity filled blur. Their mother had them all working on some job or another until well past sundown. Sarah, Josephine, and Maria were busy finishing Hannah's dress, while Miranda and Hannah were busy working in the kitchen with their mother, or decorating the house and yard. It seemed their mother had an endless list of last minute things they could do.

By the time Miranda and Hannah made it to their room that night, they were exhausted. Miranda changed into her night clothes, and then helped Hannah start putting her hair into curlers for the next day. Hannah would be allowed to wear her hair up for the first time tomorrow, and she was so excited.

She looked at Miranda through the mirror with an expectant expression, "Do you think I'm going to do well tomorrow?" She asked.

"What do you mean? Of course you're going to do well! You've been preparing for this day your whole life."

"You know what I mean, Randa" she said with an exasperated tone. "Do you think any of the men are going to like me?"

"Sweetheart, how could they not?" Miranda said leaning over and pressing her cheek to her sister's and meeting her eyes in the mirror. "You're beautiful, and sweet, and you will make some lucky man the best wife he could ask for." As she finished speaking, she went back to curling Hannah's hair. "Besides, if you don't do well, then we can be old spinsters together," she said with a mischievous sparkle in her eye.

Hannah made an outraged noise and swatted half-heartedly at Miranda. She started to giggle, but then gave her sister a serious look through the mirror, "I don't understand why you want to be alone, Randa. You're beautiful, and you could have your pick of any man you wanted. Why don't you at least try to find someone?"

Miranda went back to working on Hannah's hair with a thoughtful expression. She didn't really know how she could make Hannah understand how she felt. They had had this conversation so many times before, and it always ended with neither of them really understanding the other's point of view.

"I just want more than this, Han. I don't want to go straight from Mama and Daddy's house, into my husband's, and never experience life. I want to live the way I want. I don't want to be subjected to my husband's every whim, and have babies until I'm too exhausted to do it anymore." Miranda said quietly. "I want to be free," she said with a faraway look in her eyes.

Hannah looked at her sister with sympathy, "I heard Mama and Daddy talking today. Daddy said if you don't start showing an interest in someone by tomorrow night, then he's going to make you marry Jonathan Reed."

Miranda looked at Hannah in complete disbelief. "Jonny Reed?!" She exclaimed. "He's the biggest jackass in the tribe! How could Daddy even think about doing that to me?"

"He said Johnny's father is well connected, and they are very well off. Johnny's going to inherit the mill someday. He said if you won't choose someone, then he has to do it for you to make sure you'll be taken care of," Hannah looked down at her lap after she finished speaking. "I just thought you should know. That way you can do something about it tomorrow. At least pretend you're trying, and maybe Daddy won't force you to marry that imbecile."

"Thanks for letting me know. Your hair is all done, sweetie. I'm going to go lay down now. Goodnight," Miranda said as she crossed the room to her bed. She blew out her candle as she listened to Hannah get settled and blow out her own candle.

"Night, Randa" Hannah said softly. "I love you"

"I love you too, Han" Miranda said as she tried to fight off the tears she felt threatening.

CHAPTER 2

The next day saw the family up before dawn, cooking, cleaning, and setting up for Hannah's party. Their father, along with her older brother Giroux, and her younger brother, Claude, headed out shortly after waking to hunt for the party that night. There was a large boar that had been making trouble for the settlement, and they were hoping to take it down and roast it during the party. Although Miranda believed it was just an excuse not to get roped into the commotion going on in the house. She envied their freedom to get away as her mother gave her yet another task to complete before the celebration started.

The day went very quickly, and by the time they were to start getting Hannah ready, Miranda was ready for it all to be over already. She went outside for a moment to steady her nerves, and thought about what she was going to do about what her father had said the day before. She supposed she could at least play along, and talk to a few young men tonight. Just so she could buy herself some time to plan for her next move. She would do anything, really, to avoid marrying that jackanapes of a Johnny Reed.

Oh, how Miranda despised that man. He had been nothing but a thorn in her side since they were just children. He was always making rude comments, and touching her inappropriately any chance he got. He had been one of the first suitors to approach her father following her own coming-out, and she had refused him bluntly.

Since then, he had made it his job to make her life difficult. At 24, Johnny left much to be desired physically, as well as in temperament. He was only slightly taller than Miranda's own 5'2", but twice as wide. His face was round and always red. He reminded her of a tomato. She couldn't imagine any worse fate for herself than to be tied to that man for the rest of her life. She couldn't even imagine her life being a pleasant one if her father forced that hell on her.

"Miranda! Where are you, girl?" She heard her mother from inside the house.

"Coming, Ma," she said wearily. She headed back into the house, and out of the wonderful breeze. The house was stifling tonight. All the cooking and running around they had all been doing had turned the house into a furnace.

As she walked in off the veranda, and her momentary bubble of calm, she walked into a maelstrom of activity in the front parlor. Her sisters Sarah, Josephine, and Maria were doing last minute alterations to Hannah's dress. Hannah was standing in the middle of the furiously sewing threesome, looking absolutely radiant and joyful. Their mother was taking the curlers out of Hannah's hair, and holding hair pins in her mouth.

"Come over here and help me with Hannah's hair, please, Miranda," Beatrice said through her mouthful of pins. "Once I get these curlers out, I'm about useless for these fancy hairdo's you girls all like to wear now. You're better with them, Randa"

"Yes, Mama," she said as she headed over to start removing the last of the curlers in Hannah's long, dark hair.

"Randa," Hannah said happily, "can you leave some of the curls down in the front please? I want them to frame my face."

"Absolutely, love," Miranda smiled at her little sister. "Today is your special day. You get to have whatever you want."

Miranda worked steadily on Hannah's hair while Hannah chattered on happily about all the boys that were going to be there, and how happy she was. Miranda was happy for Hannah. She knew that tonight was a dream for her sister. She had always wanted her coming out to be perfect, and it looked like it was going to be. Her father and brothers had returned earlier in the morning, having been successful on their hunt. They had taken down the boar that had been troubling them, and then had set about making the fire and spit to roast it. The smell was making her stomach rumble even from here inside the house. They had also set up the pavilion in the common that was right in front of the house. Miranda and Hannah had spent most of the morning putting flowers and candle lanterns all around it. Miranda thought it looked like a fairy paradise. She had to admit, she was starting to catch some of her younger sister's enthusiasm. She almost found herself looking forward to the evening. She wanted to watch her sister descend the candle covered veranda stairs, and follow the candle path they had made for her. She was going to look like a princess.

After a few more pins, and the final touches Miranda had added as a surprise for Hannah, she stepped away. She turned Hannah toward the full length mirror their mother had brought into the parlor for today, and asked, "What do you think?"

"Oh, Randa! It looks wonderful," Hannah said with slight quaver in her voice. "Where did you get these hair pins with the jewels?"

"I did some sewing work for Bethany in the next village, and she traded them for it," Randa said happily. "I wanted you to have something special. Something that no one else here has ever done. I wanted your night to be as unique and precious as you are."

"They're perfect! Oh, thank you! I love it!" Hannah spun around in front of the mirror happily. Hannah really did look like a princess in her white sleeveless dress. It fit tightly on her torso, and flowed out to just below her knees. The bodice had intricate lacy embroidering all over it, courtesy of Maria, who was an artist with a needle and thread.

"I have one more surprise for you," said Beatrice with a happy smile on her face. "Your father and I had it altered for you, but it was the set your Aunt Caroline wore for her coming out. I thought it would match your dress perfectly." As she said this, she brought a black velvet box out from behind her back. Hannah crossed the room slowly, and took the box from her mother with a pronounced shininess in her eyes. When Hannah opened it, Miranda saw the silver and crystal gleam from across the room. There were 2 crystal teardrop earrings, a silver necklace that looked like lace with crystals set in patterns throughout the silver, and a matching crystal bracelet. It was perfect. Hannah threw her arms around their mother with total abandon.

"Mama! Oh, they're so wonderful. I don't know what to say!" She said through tears.

"Oh, stop your crying, dear!" Beatrice said with mock reproach. "You're going to make that beautiful face of yours all red."

"Mama!" Hannah cried indignantly, as she started to giggle, and turn away to show her sisters the beautiful set of jewelry. Hannah, Sarah, Josephine, and Maria set about putting on the jewelry as Miranda walked over to speak to their mother.

"They really are perfect, Mama," Miranda said happily. "She's going to be the talk of the settlement for years."

"That she is. I wanted it to be special for her. She has looked forward to this for so long. Unlike some people," Beatrice gave Miranda a meaningful look as she said this.

"Mama," Miranda said softly. "I don't want to ruin tonight for Hannah. You can scold me about my unladylike lack of enthusiasm for finding a husband all you like, but later. Hannah deserves to have the best night of her life. Let's not ruin it with an argument, please?"

Beatrice gave Miranda one more disapproving look, and then nodded. She walked away to finish helping Hannah with her last minute preparations. Miranda wearily shook her head and turned back to the veranda door. She leaned against the frame and let the breeze cool her face. It was starting to get dark, and the huge tree in their front yard was nothing more than a silhouette against the coral and purple sky. She looked down at the pavilion where there was going to be dancing, and music. Her father and brothers were busy lighting all the lanterns in preparation of the coming darkness. They were going to have start moving the food out soon, she thought. People were going to be crowding that pavilion soon, and fawning over her and Miranda. The enthusiasm from earlier was leaving her very quickly. Leaching away under the tide of memories from her own coming out.

12