The Demon Prince Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rana reached out a hand to me, I took her hand and tried to steady myself. I took a deep wavering breath, blinking as the tears spilled down my face. Rana stood and knelt before me. She slipped off each heel, then reached up and unbuttoned my skirt. She slid the skirt off and set to work carefully removing my fishnet stockings. Setting the stockings aside she clasped my hands, "Let's go to bed, Ash. It's been a long night."

She pulled me to my feet and walked me the short distance to my bed, pulling back the corner of covers to let me crawl in. I shuddered as a sob ripped through me. Rana slid her jeans off and turned to face away from me. I unbuttoned the straps that held her shirt around the base of her wings. Where her wings sprouted from her back the iridescent blue faded into pale skin. The shirt dropped to the floor and she turned to face me.

"Do you love me for me Rana, or for my blood?" I asked quietly, my voice catching.

"I'd love to tell you I love you for you, but with your succubi blood I can never know. What I do know is I love you. And that is all that matters."

She slid in next to me as I scooted over to make room. I rolled onto my side and she snuggled in behind me. Rana fell asleep quickly, her warm breath tickling my neck, one hand draped over my hip. I lay awake for a while, wondering at the hand fate had dealt me. And wondering if I'd see him again. It always hurt, the rejection, but his rejection cut deeper. I must have finally fallen asleep because next thing I knew, the light of dawn was streaming in through the window.

I blinked in the bright sunlight and hugged my knees to my chest. I could feel the sore streaks of his teeth on my skin, the phantom of his hands on my hips, and the heat of his anger. My birthmark burned, reminded me of the pariah I was born to be. Rana couldn't have been gone long, the bed was still warm beside me. I rolled into the spot where the pillow cradled her head and single tear slipped down my cheek. How many mornings would I wake up alone?

CHAPTER 2

I stepped out of the alleyway that concealed the club and took off down the street. Shannon would fire me if I was late again. As I walked I met the faces of other Fae, their glamour concealed them from non-Fae, but I could see ethereal shimmering wings on their backs, or the red glow of their eyes. I stumbled over the same spot in the pavement that i had for the last three years, since my very first day working at the Stacks. I pulled the dagger out of my shirt and carefully inserted it into the lock. It glowed green for a moment and clicked open. As the door to the shop swung inward I breathed a sigh of relief. Shannon was running late this morning, so she wasn't there to scold me for being late once again.

I stepped in to the shop and inhaled deeply, the air was thick with the scent of ancient books. The store was known as the stacks because it seemed that no matter how many shelves we had there were still stacks and stacks of books everywhere. I walked to the register, careful not to tip over any of the towers of tomes. Shannon had hired me three years ago to organize her massive inventory. She implied she expected it to take at least 6 months.

In the early day of working at the stacks I organized and a nephew of Shannon's, a young Faeling named Rain, manned the register. Rain left to go to the academy 2 years ago and I've been the store's entire staff since. I turned over the sign in the dusty window from Closed to Open and set to work.

My current project involved sorting out the magical volumes from the non-magic books. Shannon wanted to move all of the magical stock to a back room whose entrance was well concealed from non-Fae by ancient glamour. I picked up the first volume and closed my eyes; the volume was titled "The Prince and the Faery," a simple children's story, but the aura of magic was strong, this one would need to go into the back room.

I worked like this for hours, feeling the aura of each book and sorting them. It wasn't until I was an hour away from the end of my shift that the bell over the door jingled for the first time. I set the book I was holding back on the stack and rose to my feet. I smoothed my dress and brushed off the dust. Standing in the doorway was the silhouette of a tall figure in a hooded cloak. It had been raining for most of the day, and the newcomer looked like they'd spent a good deal of time getting soaked. I hurried to the door, offering a hand to take the customer's sopping wet cloak before he stepped out of the doorway.

I stood behind them and slid the cloak off of their shoulders, as the hood lowered I caught a glimpse of razor-sharp 3-inch horns that were beginning to curl at the ends. My breath caught in my throat, standing in front of me allowing me to remove his cloak was Reynauld.

I turned and hung his cloak on the rack by the door, making sure it wasn't dripping onto any books. I took a deep breath and turned back to face him. "How can I help you today, Sir?" I asked, dropping any pretext of familiarity.

He dug his hands into his pockets, seeming nervous. "Rana found me this morning." He admitted.

"Did she now?" I replied, silently thanking and cursing Rana in my head. She knew last night was different from the many nights that came before.

"Yes and I feel I owe you an apology. I'm sorry Ash. I'm sorry for blaming your blood for my attraction. I'm sorry for implying that you were nothing but a succubus. I've been with Succubi before, but this is different. I knew when I set eyes on you that it was different. Please allow me to make it up to you, join me for dinner tonight, 8 o'clock at the Faerisian."

I was stunned into silence; I had no idea how to respond to any of it, the apology, the emotion or the invitation. I opened my mouth but nothing came out.

"You don't have to answer now. Just meet me there at 8 if you are willing to give me a second chance." With that he grabbed his cloak and left.

I slowly walked back over the stacks I was sorting and sat down on the floor. I wanted to go, I wanted to give him another chance, but did he really deserve one after the way he'd treated me last night? I pulled out my phone and texted Rana. "S.O.S, meet me at my place." The time glowed on my wrist, 5:55pm. I rose and turned the sign from Open to Closed, stepped through the door and took off down the street.

The rain was still coming down and the wind was turning it into sheets. I had forgotten my coat this morning and the thin material of my dress was quickly soaked through. I stepped in a puddle and frustrated reached down to remove my flats. They were already soaked and I would be able to move much faster barefoot. I rounded the corner and darted down the alley to the Night Mare's entrance. I fumbled my dagger and had to stoop to grab it. At the base of the door, concealed by a pipe was a small black package with a rough sketch of my birthmark scrawled across in what appeared to be blood. I gingerly picked it up, trying not to smear the serpent painted in still tacky hemoglobin and opened the door to the club.

When I stepped in the warehouse was still empty. It would be a while yet before the Night Mare was open. I crossed the room to the stairwell door and stepped through. As I neared the top of the stairs I set the package down, the aura of magic was strong around the tiny parcel and I didn't want to bring it over the threshold of my door, I had enough to worry about right now I'd deal with it later.

Inside Rana was already perched on the side of my bed, she must have been nearby to beat me here. I dropped my wet shoes by the door and grabbed the hem of my dress. I slipped it off over my head and unclasped my bra, letting it fall to the floor. I walked across the small room and grabbed Rana's hand. "Come on, I'm freezing."

I pulled her through the door of the bathroom and turned on the water in the shower. I closed the door and let steam begin to fill the tiny space. I reached for Rana's shirt and she shrunk away from me.

"Your hands are freezing!" she exclaimed.

I laughed and grabbed her again, not letting her wiggle away. I slid my thong off and stepped into the hot water. Rana stepped in behind me, joining me in the small warm space.

"Why the S.O.S.?" she asked.

I took a deep breath. "Reynauld showed up at the Stacks near the end of my shift. He said you spoke to him and he apologized for the way he treated me. For walking out and making me feel like I am nothing more than my blood. He has asked me to join him for dinner at the Faerisian tonight. I don't know whether I want to go or not. I don't know that he deserves another chance."

"The Faerisian, eh?" Rana said as she washed my hair. Her fingers on my scalp made the stress of the day wash away. "That's pretty fancy. He must really mean his apology. I think you should go. Worst case you leave, and never worry about him again, what have you got to lose?"

I sighed and turned to her, "I guess you're right, I should go."

"Come on, rinse off and I'll help you get dressed" she said as she squeezed my hand. I cranked the water up as hot as I could stand feeling the heat wash away the fear and worry of the day.

I stepped out and Rana wrapped me in a towel, she had been hugging it tightly to her chest and the warmth of her Fae body made it as warm as a towel fresh out of the dryer. I stepped into my small room and looked toward the corner that functioned as a closet. I wasn't sure that I owned anything that was worthy of a dinner at the Faerisian. Rana saw my look of dismay and stepped over to my clothes. She rifled through the dresses that were hung on the rack, selecting three: one a dark crimson, one a bright teal and the last a deep blue.

"Come on, I need to see all three on you to decide!" Rana declared, she always had loved dressing me up.

I dropped the towel and crossed to the dresser pulling out a matching set of black lace boyshorts and a lacy bra. Over these I pulled on the crimson dress, tieing me in by way of the built in corset. It had narrow straps connected to a sweetheart top. The center of the neckline dipped almost to my belly button with black ribbon crisscrossing the gap, tied in a bow at the top. The dress hugged my hips and flared out into a playful skirt. The hem brushed mid thigh, turning from crimson to black lace covering to my knee. Rana nodded approvingly.

"Let's see the next one"

I extracted myself from the crimson dress with Rana's help. I reached for the dresser, grabbing a strapless black bra. The teal was satin and hugged every curve. It had no straps and barely contained my breasts. I turned around and checked myself in the mirror. My birthmark showed above the back of the dress, and it wasn't cold enough to justify a wrap, this dress wouldn't work. Reynauld may be trying to look past my blood, but I was almost certain he wouldn't want all of the patrons at the Faerisian to know he was on a date with a succubi.

Rana helped me out of the teal dress without a word. The midnight blue dress was more modest, It had cap sleeves and a straight cut across the top. The skirt was flowing and exploded in silver shine before ending midcalf. The silver extended all over the dress from hip down, mimicing a sky full of stars. The dress was as beautiful as the day I had purchased it, but it seemed too conservative for a date with a daemon lord. The crimson would have to do.

Rana and I stepped into the bathroom. She grabbed the brush off of the counter and began to run it through my wet hair. The heat from her body was enough to dry my hair as she combed it. When she was done my dirty blonde hair fell in gentle waves around my shoulders. I donned the crimson dress and slipped on my favorite red stilettos. I inspected myself in the mirror. Was I crazy to even meet him tonight? What makes me think I'm worthy of love from anyone?

Rana looked down at the glowing numbers on my wrist, it was 7:30.

"I'm still not sure that little piece of body 'art' was a good idea, but hell if it isn't useful. You need to get moving if you're going to be on time. It's still raining, walk me to my place and I'll give you a ride to the Faerisian." Rana said.

We stepped through my door into the stairwell. The parcel was still there, I had almost forgotten about it. Rana didn't notice it as she fluttered down the stairs. I scooted it back into the corner of the stair it was sitting on with the toe of my stiletto. I would deal with it later.

Rana and I huddled together under the umbrella to walk the block or so to her studio apartment. Rana had lived in this building for as long as I could remember. Her grandmother was the landlady, she allowed Rana to stay in the apartment as long as she kept her head on straight. The studio was like insurance that Rana would get mixed up in the underworld of the Fae.

I stood on the stoop while Rana ran up to grab the keys to her car. We hurried across to the parking structure and climbed into her black mustang. She loved her car more than any Fae should love a mortal invention. She loved the rev the engine, the way it felt to shift gears, and the feel of the gas pedal beneath her foot. Her ethereal wings glimmered, seeming to pass through the seat behind her. I fidgeted in my seat anxiously.

"Stop playing with the hem of your dress, you're going to wrinkle it. And stop fidgeting with your heels, you're going to break one." Rana chided.

"I'm so nervous, what if he just invited me out to shame me again?"

Rana shook her head, "You'll be fine, if he decides to make an ass of himself, call me and I'll be there in a split second."

She brought the mustang to a stop, we had arrived at the Faerisian. Rana reached out and squeezed my hand. She leaned in and kissed my cheek, "You're going to be fine, Ash. You're beautiful and strong, don't hesitate to call me if you need me."

I took a deep breath and opened my door. I opened the umbrella before stepping out, so I didn't see Reynauld standing close by with his hand extended. I tried to say hello but my breath caught in my throat. He looked absolutely regal.

A satin crimson tie stood out against an ash colored shirt. His tailored suit was black with grey pinstripes precisely the color of his shirt. A crimson handkerchief was folded neatly in the pocket of his jacket. His immortal dagger was pinned to his tie, like a tie tack. His obsidian circlet glinted in the streetlights, more apparent here then it had been in the Night Mare. On the third finger of his outstretched hand an ornate ring glinted. It was obsidian like his helm and fashioned after a raven skull with glinting rubies for eyes.

I accepted his hand and met his eyes. "Good evening, Ash. You look stunning in crimson, did you know it's my favorite color?"

I tried to reply with a quick quip but I was too nervous and my mouth wouldn't cooperate. Reynauld eyed me quizzically and turned to lead me inside.

The entry of the Faerisian was simple, tall oak doors with large half-moon handles stood closed. To passing non-fae the entry seemed to be an abandoned bodega with doors long chained shut. The oaken doors were surrounded by crisp clean white brick with ivy gently climbing skyward. As we approached the doors our daggers filled with a soft glow and the doors swung outward.

We stepped through the doors and they closed silently behind us. The interior was sheek and modern. Black table cloths and chairs accented by fresh flowers with a slight glow in the center of each. The hostess was a young pixie, her features were sharp but not cruel. Her eyes were black from corner to corner and sharp teeth showed when she smiled.

"This way please" she said as she turned to lead us into the restaurant. Upon our entry the restaurant appeared to be empty, but now I could see the shimmer of the shrouding around each table. We approached a booth in the corner. She reached out and pulled back a near intangible veil. Reynauld gestured for me to sit and paused for a moment, appearing to consider where to sit before settling into the booth next to me. "Your service will start in 10 minutes. Please enjoy the complimentary wine" the hostess said before turning to leave."

Reynauld poured each of us a glass and turned to me. He raised his glass and gestured for me to do the same. "To beautiful women who are willing to give stupid men second chances"

"You'd better make it worth it" I replied, somewhat sharply. I still wasn't sure why I had given him a chance. It was really only because Rana had asked me to. And maybe because something about sitting here sipping wine next to him felt right. I pushed that thought out of my head, how could I know if this felt right. He had shamed me and this was only our second meeting. "I'm sorry, this is the first real date I've been on in a long time, I'm forgetting myself. Let me start over. Thank you for taking me to this beautiful restaurant and you look dashing in that suit. The crimson suits you."

"One might think we tried to match" he chuckled. "I'd like to get to know you, Ash. If you'd let me. How long have you worked at that bookstore? I'd never have known it was there if Rana hadn't told me about it."

"About 3 years, I was hired as a temp to do some sorting, but here I am three years later, still working there and still sorting. When Shannon hired me she projected the organizing of the place to take three months. She grossly underestimated the task and on top of it constantly adds to the stacks with books from auction and private collections. I'm almost certain I've been tasked with an unending job. I suppose I could be employed for life there at the rate that she buys books."

"You did sort of look like you were buried in books."

As he finished speaking the waiter approached with the first course. I could feel the wine already buzzing in my head and was glad to have food to balance it out. Six more courses followed the first in rapid succession, with little time to talk in between. The Chef came out to present each one, and each was more delectable than the last. I don't think I had ever eaten so well in my life. The last was a bite sized raspberry torte with candied orange peels. I savored the tart raspberries enjoying each little pop as I tried to guess what he had planned next.

We were on our third bottle of wine by the time we finished our meal and the Fae wine had relaxed me. He poured the last of the wine into my glass, clearly enjoying the effect the wine was having on me. "It's your turn to talk about yourself. How exactly did you come to be the lord of the Darkest Reaches, this is the first time there has been a new lord in my lifetime and I've got no idea how the successor is chosen."

A pained look crossed his face, it was just a flash, but it was there. His features settled back into the sharpness I was accustomed to. "This isn't a discussion for a public place, even one where we are concealed behind a veil. Take a walk with me and we will speak of other things."

My cheeks flushed as I stood. "I-I-I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be such a sensitive subject."

"It is fine, let's take a walk, the rain has cleared and I'm sure the moon is beautiful tonight."

He parted the veil and I stepped through heading toward the front door. Reynauld reached out to grasp my hand and gestured to a back door. I followed his lead and as I stepped through the door I was awed by the sight of the city lights and low hanging moon reflected in the dark waters of one of the many tributaries of the river. He turned to the left and began to walk. I followed him, stepping carefully on the wet pavement. "Were you born here in this city?" he asked.

"I was, my maternal family has lived here for generations" I replied, "I've lived in other places, but other cities are not so friendly to the Fae, and besides the water keeps calling me back. I have a hard time being away from the ocean. I grew up here, my mother used to joke that I must have some water sprite blood on my father's side with how much time I spent in the water. I know this sounds strange, but I don't know a whole lot about Daemons, do you all come from the reaches?"