The Discovery: Prison Inmates Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fridays, I think," Major stated. He was the most outspoken of the group of guys.

"Perfect. With him and Old Cole at the library, we'll have free reign," Ace began. "I need you guys to start a little party to keep the guards occupied. Come Friday, I'll need to be somewhere close enough to the laundry that a lockdown wouldn't affect me."

He looked around at the men. "Ideas men. What activity won't draw too much attention from the guards?"

"I'd say the gym, the small one," Jo murmured in his usual slurred voice. He was the procurer of the group, well the most resourceful anyway.

The small gym was hardly used now that there was a larger more equipped one available. It was used mainly by those focusing on weight loss rather than body-building. Save for the storage rooms in between, there was no security door that would shut automatically on a lockdown. There would be nothing to shield little Jamie from Ace when the time was right.

"They wouldn't believe you actually want the kitchen. You can say you want to drop some pounds?"

"Mmmh, that doesn't sound too bad. The small gym... I can get in the laundry easy." Ace was lost in though for a while. The main thing was ensuring the warden remained unaware of the switch. The rest would be no big deal at all. There were loads of guards that would turn a blind eye. He could fid out the warden's holiday schedule too...

It was as if Connor read his mind. "You sure about that though? Would anyone believe you want to actually lose weight?"

"So where then?" the huge man asked in exasperation.

"I say, cut yourself."

Ace stared at Connor with a look that said 'really???'

"Listen a minute. Once you do that, you get taken to the infirmary. That way it all happens on the one day before any of the men are the wiser."

"Mmmh...."

"Just a small cut. It just has to bleed enough to be noticeable..." Connor encouraged.

The infirmary was even better, located directly opposite the laundry. Ace wasn't exactly convinced though.

"But if there's a party, it wouldn't do good to have a wound. That would be a weak spot." Major said as if he had read Ace's mind.

"Yeah, that'll make me vulnerable," Ace agreed.

"You, vulnerable?" Connor asked in disbelief. All the men laughed, beginning to talk all at once.

"And they would chain you to the bed too..."

"Yeah. Damn, that's even worse."

"Well..."

"Well what?" Ace cut in. He was getting impatient.

"You can pretend to have chest pains some days before. You know, act like you can't breathe..."

"Get to the point man," Ace growled.

"When you see the nurse, talk about your weight like maybe that's the reason. You know weight loss and all... then start talking about using the small gym..."

"Ahhh... it would have to be a while before so it all looks legit," Ace added.

"Yeah..."

"So you're saying I'm fat?"

"Err... no. Come on Ace. Y-you're a giant of a man, that's all..."

"Don't like it," Ace decided. And that was the end of that. Major breathed a sigh of relief. Better that than face his anger.

"Any other ideas that don't focus on my size? Think, you bastards."

"What about the warden?" Connor said quietly. It was what they were all thinking.

"Shut up Connor. That's my fucking business."

The question hung in the air though. The men all knew the deal with the warden. After all, Ace had nearly blown their ears off raving and ranting about the warden keeping Jamie out of his reach.

"I'll be in and out of there in a blink. You guys have got to do your part good. I'll need good time to get my shit done. Okay?" They all nodded. "So no little spats. I want a good party. Rile the turbans up or something. Rile everyone up."

"But they'll still know its you..."

"How?"

"Your history with the little..."

"Don't worry about that," Ace cut him off. "There's no way he'll be able to say a thing. I'll make him forget who the fuck he is, let alone whoIam."

"Maybe wear a mask?" Jo offered. "I could make you one?"

"Fuck. All right. Do that." The huge man groaned impatiently. "Just make sure it's done properly, don't want no makeshift piece of crap. If I decide to wear it."

He actually had no interest in wearing a mask at all. He had wet dreams imagining Jamie's face when he took him. It would be momentous. Jamie would be his at last and there was no way he was denying himself the satisfaction of the little man knowing it was him without a doubt for anything in the world. He already had a long sentence, there was nothing else they could do to him that would make a difference.

Jo looked offended. "You know me better than that Ace," he said. "I'll do it right."

"You do that."

They were at it for days on end. Ace wore them out before finally deciding on a course of action.

Friday the 13th.

He thought it would be symbolic.

* * * *

Movement was almost over. Rhys and Old Cole were making their way through the numerous paths and hallways to the Wings with two of the other guys. They usually waited for the loud and unruly crowd returning from the activity compounds to dissipate into their respective Wings. Rhys had taught Jamie to do the same. It limited any chances of getting caught in fights or waylaid by anyone.

There were three guards at every gate, to watch as they went through. Most of the time they simply stood to one side and chatted as the prisoners went past, only paying attention if there was an altercation after it had started. Typical.

As they were the last to walk through the main gate that led only to the Wings, the guards locked the gate when they had gone through and walked up behind them.

Rhys overheard Officer Morgan being offered sympathy by another officer. He seemed to be talking about his daughter. Her terrible accident. His partner had died too it appeared. Hit by a drunk driver.

That jarred Rhys.

"She's struggling a lot still. Won't let anyone but my Mom and me see her. Feels she looks horrendous. The NHS won't do any more surgeries even though they know this is what would make the most difference. Costs too much they say and the margins are not enough for it to be worthwhile expense. Can you imagine that? So my baby has to go through life unable to hear, paralysed and on top of that, afraid to be seen and the bastard driver had to go and die on us. Thirty thousand pounds? Where am I supposed to get that from?" The officer sounded close to tears. "I really wish that fucker had lived you know, so I'd at least have someone to blame... other than myself."

The other officers rallied round him as he rambled disjointedly, comforting him with reminders that it was not his fault that his daughter had snuck out so late at night to go drinking with her mates and his partner had had to go pick her up alone because he was busy here at work.

He had chatted with Officer Morgan quite a few times every now and then and had had no idea the trauma the officer had gone through. They had hit it off when someone said they looked alike, Rhys couldn't remember who now, one of the officers maybe. He was just about an inch shorter than Rhys but a great deal slimmer, though with quite broad shoulders as well. Aside from their significant heights, Rhys didn't think they looked anything alike.

"Drunk driver..." Rhys murmured quietly to himself, his mind working. Old Cole looked over at him.

"That was not you Rhys."

"But it could've been. I came so close you know."

The old man shrugged. Rhys was plagued by his offence constantly. He knew talking to him was not going to help, he had tried a lot in the past. It always came back to this. He guessed everyone had to deal with their demons.

"Then you should be thankful that it wasn't. You can't do any more than that, otherwise you'd go crazy."

"Maybe I can help?"

"You mean Morgan?"

"Yeah. He said the NHS wouldn't do any more surgeries for her. What do you think?"

"Good idea, especially if it'd make you feel better."

Rhys just smiled. It definitely would, he thought.

He nodded to the old man and they split up, the big man slowing his stride considerably. He fell in step with the guards soon enough.

"Officer Morgan? Can I have a word please?"

The officer agreed as good naturedly as he could manage and they stepped away from the others. They kept walking to his Wing so he would not miss the roll call.

"Sorry about your daughter..." Rhys began. Officer Morgan raised his eyebrows tiredly but nodded his thanks.

"I can help?"

"I don't need help." The other man frowned. "And why would you want to help anyway. What's it to you?"

"You do know what I'm in here for? Right?"

"Who doesn't?"

"Then you know why..."

"I don't want your charity Foxton. I know you're filthy rich or whatever, but that's your concern. I-"

"But this is not about you, is it? It's about a child who needs surgery to be able to function normally and lead a normal life. You said it would make a lot of difference to her life. Do you not want that for her?"

"Look, this is none of your business. I can deal with my own problems."

"Really. How? Where are you going to get thirty thousand pounds?" Rhys queried. "I'll still give the money away. I just have to find someone who needs it. Wouldn't you rather that it was your daughter who benefited? This is not about your pride, man. Its about your daughter."

The officer looked conflicted as he thought about it. It took a while. Roll call came over to them, ticked him off and Rhys resumed waiting for an answer.

"Really? Thirty thousand? You'd do that?"

"Yes, really." Rhys laughed, relaxing as he watched the man give in.

"If you're sure you're happy to do this."

"We will keep this confidential if that's what you're worried about."

"Oh God..." the guard fought back tears. The reality of his daughter being able to get the help needed suddenly overwhelming him. He was so elated. "Thank you so much."

Rhys smiled, "I'll ring my solicitor later today. He'll need bank details and stuff. If you aren't comfortable giving them to me, give them to him."

There was shock written all over Officer Morgan's face. He hadn't thought the big guy would work that fast. He couldn't believe it, he was going to have the money to help his daughter! At last!

He struggled visibly to keep calm. "No that's no problem. There's nothing in it anyway." Officer Morgan pulled out a small notebook from pocket and scribbled onto it. His hands shook as he wrote. He tore it out and handed it to Rhys. They shook hands.

"I won't forget this man."

"That's not what this is about. Just get your daughter well as best you can."

"As best I can..." the guard agreed solemnly. "Thank you. Thank you so much for this."

Rhys knew giving out money this way did not change what he had done. It felt good to do it and that was enough for him.

* * * *

When Jamie started to tell Rhys the news, the big man was unsure whether to act like he knew or not. He decided to keep mum and let Jamie speak.

Rhys still had a bit of a headache after staying out in the sun all day long so he had taken a table at the far end of the hall, away from the noisemakers. He was quite shocked when Jamie came over to join him of his own accord.

He refused to think there was anything to it.

There was some disturbance when Ace came in as usual, pushing around some new guys until the guards stepped in. Rhys knew he would be looking out for them next. They were his favourite past time.

He found himself shifting closer to the small man to reassure him. And surely enough Jamie was all tense.

"You okay?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah I guess." Jamie murmured, trying not to jump at the sound of Ace's barking laughter.

Obviously trying to get their attention, Rhys thought.

"Relax okay. Just ignore him."

Jamie nodded, shifting closer as well so not just their thighs touched but their arms and shoulders too. "I-" Rhys started to speak at the same time, "How ha-"

They chuckled. "You go." Rhys suggested. He would be happy to watch those lips work.

"I need to tell you something." The small man began nervously. He was blushing but determination was all over his face. Rhys listened. Jamie lowered his voice further, "I was attacked by a group of homophobic guys when I was 16. I was in a coma for a while. Richie just told me there was more to it... I think I might have had some mental... I don't know, psychological damage...?" Something caught in his throat and he suddenly couldn't get more words out.

"I know, Tiny." It was out before Rhys could stop himself.So much for not telling Jamie he knew.

Silver eyes stared up at him. So fucking beautiful. "Richard?"

"Yeah." He wanted to put an arm around Jamie's shoulder, he wanted to kiss his worrying forehead. He wanted all of him so fucking bad. He wished...

Jamie looked away, blushing at the intensity he had seen. "Big mouth."

"Don't be mad at him. He's trying to deal with this too."

"I guess..."

"So..." Rhys began, feeling his nerve wilt just a little and divert. "Are you going to get therapy then?" Jamie nodded. "That's good. Dr Windrake?"

"No way." That was the prison counsellor. "A proper counsellor. When I get out."

"That's really good."

There was still something hanging in the air. They both knew it. Rhys felt himself press against Jamie's warmth, almost gasping when the small man leaned right back. Oh God. Breathe. He kept his head down so no one could see his turmoil.

They ate quietly, very aware of each other. He couldn't help himself. "So... what does that mean for us?"

Jamie gulped visibly, blinking at his plate. He tossed the remains of his food back and forth. They were both focused on the movement. "What do you mean?"

"Are you really asking me that?"

"I don't understand what you mean?"

"What did you just tell me all this for? Surely you had a reason."

"I wanted you to..." Jamie took a deep breath. "So... so you'd understand where I'm coming from..."

"That's all?" the pain in Rhys voice was evident and it somehow radiated into Jamie's chest.

"Rhys..." he began hesitantly.

"Let's just eat okay. I don't want to get worked up right now in front of all these bastards." His eyes shut tightly as he fought to keep from doing just that.

"Rhys-"

"Just leave it okay!" Rhys hissed.

He had been so right to think there was nothing to it but all of a sudden it seemed to hurt so much more. Maybe it was the headache.

Fuck. Who was he fooling?

A small hand slunk underneath Rhys' arm and wrapped over his trembling fist that was pressing into the table. This pressed them even closer together as the small man's shoulder slipped snugly into Rhys' underarm. Jamie's face burrowed into his bicep and inhaled his scent breathlessly. Warmth filled Rhys. It annoyingly began to calm him down.

How could this small man have so much power over him?

"Jamie..."

Jamie had never seen the big man like this. Usually frustration and anger was foremost in their arguments, but now... it was different. The blatant emotions scared and elated him equally and his heart felt like it would overflow and combust. Knowing he was the one hurting Rhys like this was too much.

He still needed help, he knew that now even more than ever. Much as being so close to Rhys gave him some intrinsic unexplainable joy... he still needed time. And in that time, he was too afraid to get deeper than he could manage right now. It was too much already.

He squeezed tighter as the big man heaved a deep breath, bringing his other hand to wrap around Rhys' arm as well. He didn't even realise that he was doing. Soothing Rhys was like the most natural thing to do now he wasn't over thinking it.

There were quite a few eyes on them, not that they cared. Hostile and friendly alike. Roger looked ecstatic and Old Cole cautious. The old man wagged a finger at Roger in amusement.

Ace however looked murderous, spitting vilely into his plate with food still in it. His mates knew not to say a word and just acted like they had seen nothing at all.

Rhys kept his eyes shut, thoroughly ashamed as desperate hope enveloped him along with the tightness of Jamie's arms.

He didn't want to hope, really, but it hurt too much not to.

* * * *

One week later.

Jamie was in a good mood. He had received a call first thing that morning from his lawyer, telling him that there was a lead on a bank account that would possibly connect someone else in his firm to the missing money. It was just a matter of time.

In addition to the information from Richard, things were generally looking up.

He hummed to himself amidst the drone of the huge washing machines and tumble dryers as he did the last batch of laundry he was assigned to. Happy to have finished early so he could now relax the rest of the day, he loaded the large trolley with the laundry and pushed it to the laundry storage room. He needed a break badly after the long steamy day filled with the whiff of cleaning chemicals.

Thoughts of Rhys crept into his head as they did every hour of every day but he blinked them back.

He got into the large room, parked the trolley by the side of the door with other trolleys, and began stacking the sheets neatly so that they could be counted and itemised. The towels were last and were stored way down at the end of the room. He heaved the large pile up in one go because he didn't want to have to go twice and struggled over.

He rounded the corner.

The sight before him stopped him in his tracks.

Rhys was standing against the shelves with another man in front of him. All over him. Practically on top of him. The man was small and somewhat stocky. Not as small as Jamie, but small enough though with a good amount of bulk and muscle. Certainly not like Jamie. He also had a scarf round his head so you could make no mistake as to what he was. A queen. And his hands were reaching up and touching Rhys' head with a bit too much familiarity.

Jamie stood there in shock, conflicting emotions and questions tearing at him. Tears stung his eyes and he fought to push them back, willing his legs to move and get him out of there. He had pushed Rhys away since, only being civil. Now Rhys was finding happiness somewhere else. What business was it of his? The towels toppled from his shaking hands and the two men turned at the sound just as Jamie's legs finally heeded him.

Rhys' eyes pleaded with Jamie in that instant and he pushed the stocky man away from him.

"Jamie! Wait! Please!"

But Jamie turned and ran. Blindly, just wanting to get away and hide. He felt sick, like he was going to throw up. He kept running, ignoring Rhys' voice calling his name as he thundered after him.

Rhys caught up with Jamie in no time and grabbed him, holding the small man's back against his chest. He turned him around slowly and met the wild, confused, hurt and accusing silver eyes. "Jamie..." he began but Jamie stopped him with his hands in the air, shaking his head in some kind of denial.

"You don't need to explain anything to me... there's nothing between us. Is there? Nothing at all... I just overreacted... I am fine, really... let go..." He slapped Rhys' hands away from his shoulders as the big man attempted to calm him. "I'm alright... go back to your business... argh." He groaned suddenly, keeling over.

Before Rhys could bend over him he had stood upright again, gasping as he stepped backwards, his hand holding his belly in surprise "I feel sick... why do I feel sick... arghhh... why do I feel si...?" He slapped at Rhys' hands again, his eyes dancing crazily in confusion, his face wincing and then struggling to smile widely in turn, tears brimming. "Don't you dare explain; I am fine... I am fine..." He began to hyperventilate, gasping for air in a state of shock. "It hurts... its not supposed to hurt... why does it hurt...?" He choked on his words as the tears poured out at last, all his strength lost.