The Doppelganger Ch. 03

Story Info
Todd 2 finds out that Marty escaped the mental hospital.
3.2k words
5
5.7k
1
0

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/03/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is the love story of Marty and Todd. It also includes several other characters as well as their storylines. This story will be submitted in several parts and is based off the hit soap One Life to Live, yet the "history" has been changed somewhat to suit the purposes of this story. Not all the parts of this story will contain erotic sex scenes as there is a plot. First and foremost, this story is a romance/drama, not a sex story.

Also, I'd like to note that I do not own ABC's One Life to Live or the characters and I will NOT be receiving any payment whatsoever for writing this story. It is intended for entertainment purposes only.

This story takes place BEFORE Marty attacked and killed her psychiatrist, stabbed Kelly, and pushed Natalie from the roof at Angel Square. In this story, those events will not happen. This is my take on the two-Todds story including Marty and with an eerie or supernatural twist. Hope you enjoy the story...

~*o*~

Marty shook her head, her eyes meeting Todd's gaze. "No, I've had enough talk for tonight. It's after three AM, and all I can think about right now is sleep. We have to get your life back, Todd, and when we do, then we'll discuss what I'd like in return."

Todd knew Marty to be very stubborn at times, so he was certain it was useless to badger her if she was refusing to talk. He sighed deeply as he knew they had discussed a great deal tonight and they were both mentally and physically exhaused and in dire need of rest. "Whatever, Marty. I guess we'll talk about it later," Todd said in an almost-growl. He picked up a pillow from the bed and grabbed the spare blanket at the end of the bed. He then stood, walking over to the loveseat.

He grumbled, "Get off my bed."

Marty stood up quickly, knowing it would do no good to argue with him over which one of them got the bed. It seemed that Todd was quite determined that he was sleeping on the loveseat, so she'd let him have it. She went quietly into the adjoining bathroom to dress for bed, wondering how she would ever survive living in this motel room with Todd in such close quarters. After Marty had slipped into her long white nightgown, she made her way back into the bedroom where Todd had settled down on the very small, uncomfortable loveseat. She glanced over at him as she made her way to the bed. As she crawled beneath the sheets, she heard Todd say, "You know, Marty, despite everything, I'm glad you're here. Thank you for helping me..."

She looked over at Todd in the almost-darkness. "I'm glad I'm here, too."

"And I'm glad you're back," she quietly admitted.

He half-raised an eyebrow, returning her gaze. Marty was glad he was back? He thought he would never hear those words coming from her lips. "Try to get some sleep," he encouraged.

"Alright," Marty replied, knowing that wouldn't be too difficult. At this point she could barely keep her eyes open. Sleep would be a blessing after her great escape and all she and Todd had discussed.

Long after she had drifted to sleep, Todd lay awake, gazing at her in the near-distance, his thoughts overtaken with their earlier conversation. Her words kept echoing in his head. Marty had said that she had been in love with him all those years ago. It would seem that they had been so caught up in their heated animosity for so very long that perhaps they had forgotten what it had been that had brought them together initially before that one fateful night. As he lay there looking at Marty, Todd knew he would do anything this for woman. He had hurt her beyond what was forgiveable, yet never once had he told her that he too had been in love. He had been a jerk and a fool. He had possessed something powerful and so precious, but he had crushed it carelessly in his hands as though it had meant nothing to him. In that one horrible moment, he had destroyed so much, and he had been paying for it ever since. Todd knew nothing would ever make up for that dark and violent act, but now he'd give Marty whatever it was her heart desired. He vowed he would keep her safe and fight all her demons. Although it was too late for him to have what it was he needed above all else, he would see to it until his dying day that Marty would be granted happiness.

~*The Next Morning*~

Todd 2 sat at his desk at The Sun, scowling at the current edition of the paper which was about to be published. He grumbed as he was ravenous, and he had sent Jack out to get them breakfast over an hour ago, but the teenager had yet to return. "Where the hell are you, Jack? I'm starving!" he snapped, slapping his hand down on his desk. He then put in a call to Vimal in the other room, asking where Jack had gone and then cursed at him because he was dissatisfied with the front page of the paper.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Manning. There just isn't enough material. I couldn't come up with any gore, violence, or the usual horrorific stuff you like to print..." Vimal apologized.

"Dammit, Vimal, I don't pay you to bring me this-this... GARBAGE!" Todd 2 snarled. "Now find me some sort of scandal, an axe murder or something GOOD to write about!"

"Alright, Mr. Manning... Alright," Vimal promised soothingly. "I'll see what I can find."

Todd 2 slammed the phone down, spouting a mouthful of obscentities as he looked up, seeing Jack stroll into the office. "Where is my breakfast?" yelled Todd 2.

"Sorry, Dad, I got side-tracked," replied Jack as he set a styrofoam tray of food down upon his father's desk.

"What's this crap?" sneered Todd 2, looking into the food tray and seeing cold toast and a mound of greasy eggs. "Dammit, Jack, this food is COLD! Can't you do anything right?"

Jack didn't say anything as he stood there flabbergasted as he had really tried to get his dad breakfast as he had been commanded. "I'm sorry, Dad..." he said again. Lately his dad seemed angry all the time. He was always yelling and going off on somebody. Jack was often afraid of his dad and now was no exception.

"Dad, I just wanna show you something... why I got distracted..." Jack said softly, walking closer to where Todd 2 was seated.

"What is it?" Todd 2 growled, making Jack jump. The teenager looked like he might come out of his skin. Jack reached out slowly, placing a newspaper into his dad's hands. It was the today's edition of The Banner.

"What the hell?" Todd 2 gasped, as he quickly read the headline. 'Marty Saybrooke Escapes from St. Anne's... Again.'

"I knew you would be mad. It looks like The Banner got to the story before we did," Jack said as he plopped down in a chair in his father's office. "I think you should fire Vimal."

Todd 2 looked up, glaring at Jack. "Get the fuck out of my office!" he growled.

"Did you hear me?" he yelled when the teen just sat there, looking at him. "I said GET OUT!"

"Alright, Dad. Okay... sheeesh..." Jack said, getting up and quickly leaving. His dad was really losing it lately. It would seem that Jack could do nothing right in his father's eyes. Jack scurried out of the office, disappearing down the hallway. He couldn't leave the building as his dad might call him back on a whim. If he went too far, his dad would be furious. "I hate my life," Jack was thinking.

~*o*~

John and Natalie were looking at The Banner too in John's office, reading the front page which told of Marty's escape from St. Anne's. "She's out there somewhere, John. What if she tries to take Liam again?" Natalie worried.

"Brody won't let anything happen to Liam," John sighed, knowing that both Brody and Natalie had been greatly traumatized by Marty abducting their baby. "I'm calling St. Anne's. I want to know how Marty got out. After her last escape, I thought they had increased her security. I have no clue how she got out again."

After calling St. Anne's John had more answers than questions. "Someone helped Marty escape last night..." he said with a heavy sigh. "Now the question is, who would want to help her get out of the mental hospital?"

Natalie looked back at John, clueless. "I honestly have no idea."

"St. Anne's is having the surveillance tapes sent over to me, so I can try to identify the man," John told Natalie. "Don't worry. Liam is safe... and we'll find Marty and whoever this idiot is that broke her out."

A few minutes later, the surveilance tapes were brought to the police station. With Natalie by his side, John began watching the tapes. He fast-forwarded the footage to moments before Marty's escape. A man was seen entering St. Anne's. "There!" John said, pointing to the image of the man on the screen.

"Ohhh my God!" Natalie gasped as John paused the tape so they could get a good look at the man. "It can't be!"

"Who is that, Natalie?" John asked urgently.

"He... He looks like my Uncle Todd..." Natalie said as though in shock. "...Before he underwent facial reconstruction. How-How can that be?"

As they continued watching the remainder of the footage, they saw the man in question walking around the halls of St. Anne's as though he owned place. Later the man came out of a supply closet wearing a nun's habbit and not long after, he walked right out the door with Marty Saybrooke. "Unbelievable," John muttered after they had finished watching the tape.

"What does this mean?" Natalie gasped, still in shock because the man who had helped Marty in her escape looked so much like her Uncle Todd.

"I don't know, Natalie, but I am gonna find out. Your Uncle Todd has been keeping secrets. He's hiding something. And I am gonna find out what it is."

~*o*~

Todd had gotten up early as his stomach was growling. He had went to a vending machine and gotten some chocolate donuts and two cups of coffee. He brought breakfast back to the motel room where Marty was still sleeping. She looked like an angel, her long curls cascading over the pillow. "Uhhh... Marty," he spoke, sitting down on the loveseat and clutching the coffee cup in his hand. She stirred a little, muttering something in her sleep. After a moment, she came awake, looking at him.

"I thought you were a dream," she said softly as she sat up in bed, looking at him.

"No, I'm no dream. It's me in the flesh in blood," he lightly chuckled.

"What time is it?" Marty asked, slightly disoriented. "How long have I been sleeping?"

"I dunno, it's somewhere after 10:30," he answered with a shrug. "I got us breakfast. Are you hungry?"

"10:30?" Marty gasped. "Why did you let me sleep so long?"

"I thought you needed your rest. Let's have some breakfast... and talk about what we are going to do; how I'm gonna get my life back..."

"Breakfast? Okay... alright," she agreed, reaching for a steaming mug of coffee Todd had extended to her. She took a little drink, finding it bitter, but since she very much needed the caffeine, she could not complain.

"Ohhh, and here are some yummy, nutritious chocolate donuts," Todd said with a little grin, giving her the sugary treats wrapped in clear plastic.

"Nice," said Marty, as she accepted the food.

"So what are you using for money, considering you can't very well access your bank account right now? This motel is crap, but you had to pay for it somehow as well as this food," Marty observed.

Todd took a sip of his coffee, then answered Marty's question. "I found money in the wallet of that Agent Kent guy who showed up in Dorian's yard and nearly hurt Sam. There was also a credit card and I've been using that, too," he replied. "It's not like I had any other choice. I had to survive."

Marty nodded. "Yeah, but they can trace the credit card back to you, whoever these people are... It's just as matter of time before they find you. How much cash do you have left?" Marty asked, knowing that she hadn't a penny to her name, and like Todd, she couldn't possibly access her back account or go back to her apartment. If she did, they would find her.

Todd pulled the leather wallet from his back pocket, withdrawing a handful of bills. It wasn't much, but it would get them by for a few more days. Marty wasn't sure what they would do once the money was gone. "We need to find another place to stay," Todd said. It was just a matter of time before someone traced him to the Minute-Man Motel since he had used Agent Kent's credit card. In desparation, he had even used the man's cell phone to place a couple of calls. Now he didn't just have himself to protect, he had to keep Marty safe, too.

"Where can we go? We have to be careful. If someone sees us, I'll be put back in St. Anne's... and I am scared of what could happen to you. What will HE do if he finds out you are roaming around Llanview?" Marty said worriedly. "I think we need someone to help us, Todd. We need to tell someone."

"No! I don't trust anyone!" Todd exclaimed. "I've been wandering around Llanview for days now. No one has seen me. I have been listening... spying..."

"I've been trying to find out why everyone seems to think that ASSHOLE is me. There's no one we can tell right now. No one we can trust. Right now, Marty, all we have is each other..."

"What about Vicki? She could help us, Todd," Marty encouraged.

"We need proof first. Some sort of proof that shows that I am me and that he is a fraud," Todd insisted. "We have to break into his- my office. We'll search it from top to bottom and find out what he might be hiding. And while we are there, we'll place a bug in his phone, so when he makes his calls, we can listen in and find out why he's pretending to be me. Maybe we will find out who's in on this with him and why they have stolen my life."

"Alright, Todd. We'll do it your way," Marty sighed after she had finished her cup of coffee. "And when the money is gone or when it isn't safe here anymore, we either gotta go to Vicki for help... or find a safer place to stay."

"What's the matter, Marty?" Todd asked dryly. "Don't like the cozy accomidations?"

"I think rats have better accomidations," she stated, looking around the room in disgust. "The walls are paper-thin and I bet all sorts of low-lifes hang out at this place."

"Yeah, only dirt-bags and scum hang out here, so it was the perfect place for me to hide out. Not like I am gonna see anyone I know here, considering it's on the edge of town," Todd replied. "And you're right about the walls being paper-thin. I swear someone was doing a porno in the room next to this one the other night..."

Marty shuddered, feeling uneasy at the topic of conversation. Quickly she moved to change the subject. "Okay, so tonight we break into the office at The Sun... but what will we do till then? Surely we'll do something. We can't very well stay in this room all day..."

"First we're going to do a little shopping and get the equipment we need to bug that asshole's phone," Todd stated. "Then we'll carefully check in on my kids; making sure everyone is okay. And if it's possible I'd like to see Hope."

"We need to be careful, Todd. If he sees you, I really don't know what he will do. If he finds out you are in Llanview, he just might do something rash. Someone could end up hurt."

"By now, everyone's probably heard you've escaped St. Anne's. I wonder, what was his reaction to that?"

"He probably doesn't like it much. We had a huge argument when he last came to see me..."

Placing his coffee cup aside, Todd looked at Marty curiously. "He came to see you at St. Anne's? What did you argue about?" he asked.

"Yes, he showed up there to taunt me because Cole had been sent to prison. And I begged him to tell John that Natalie's baby Liam wasn't Brody's child, but John's. We argued for awhile, then he promised me. He swore he'd talk to John and tell him the truth about Liam's paternity; that I had changed the DNA results," Marty spoke with a heavy sigh. "But I know him too well. He hates me... and he hates John and Natalie even more. I know without a doubt he lied."

"So now he thinks you are coming back to Llanview to expose him considering he knew Liam's paternity and chose to keep that piece of information quiet?"

"Who knows what he thinks," Marty said with a heavy sigh as she got out of bed and sat upon it's edge. "I think he would do anything to make the lives of others miserable."

"I hate that scum more and more every minute," Todd said as Marty was reaching for her duffel bag. She needed to get dressed and shower. She really didn't want to stay in this dismal motel room a moment longer. She and Todd had so much to do if he was going to regain his life, his fortune, and his children.

"I'll take my shower, then we can get out of here," she said as she made her way over to the bathroom.

Todd sat there on the loveseat, staring down at the package of donuts in his hand. He had lived on junkfood from the vending machine for the past few days. He was ready for some real food and hoped that soon, he'd have a better place for himself and Marty to stay. Marty was right; they couldn't stay here much longer. It just wasn't safe. Maybe after they had placed the bug in the imposter's office, they'd finally have some answers. Who was this man who had overtaken his life? And why had he been locked up for all those years?

A few minutes later, Marty emerged from the bathroom, fully showered and dressed. For a moment, Todd just stared at her, thinking she looked so incredibly beautiful. He had to mentally shake himself as he had been entranced, amazed that after all these years she still got to him. "Todd?" she said softly, not missing the faraway expression on his face.

"Let's go," he said, taking her arm and leading her from the motel. Marty looked dazed as she allowed Todd to lead her away.