The Dread Prophecy Ch. 02

Story Info
Chapter 2: Getting Settled In.
5.5k words
4.83
7.2k
5

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/21/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Novella 3 ~

The Dread Prophecy

~ 2 ~

Getting Settled In

The first rays of the morning sun shone in through the leaded glass window of Eryca's bedroom. She watched as the sun slowly rose and chased the shadows from her room. Lifting off the covers the young woman sat-up and stretched her arms over her head before standing and walking into the bathing alcove that was across the room. Eryca turned the catch on the stopcock and watched as the porcelain tub began to fill with water. Pulling her arms in through the armholes of the thin shift she had slept in, she let it fall from her lithe body and float to the floor in a gauzy heap. Turning of the spigot she checked the water and then stepped into the tub allowing the heat of the water to relax her. She had just begun to sponge off when there was a soft knock at the door.

"Milady, are you awake?"

It was Karolyn, her handmaiden and closest friend; the two had been friends ever since Eryca had lost her mother. Eryca's grandfather his Honorable Grace William Moffitt the Earl of Walworth had asked the older Karolyn to look after Eryca and the two had been inseparable ever since.

"Yes, come in Karolyn." The door to the bedroom opened and Eryca saw her friend enter the room and look around for the source of her voice.

"I'm in the tub Karol" laughed Eryca at the handmaiden's confusion.

"Oh Miss, I say, you should have told me. I would have waited."

"Nonsense Karolyn, I'm almost finished." Eryca stood in the tub and reached for the towel that hung from a brass hook nearby. "Could you bring me my robe please?" Eryca asked as she stepped from the tub.

Finding her Mistress's robe laying across the end of the large bed, Karolyn scooped it up and promptly held it open for Eryca.

"Thank you my friend." Said the young girl as she gathered the garment about herself and tied the sash about her slim waist.

"What are your plans for today my Lady? Are we to stay in and spend time with the Earl or..." Karolyn's voiced trailed off as she awaited Eryca's answer.

"No Karolyn, I don't know about you but as wonderful as the tower is, I'm beginning to get a little stir crazy." Eryca smiled at the instant look of relief on her friend's face. Obviously she wasn't the only one with such feelings. "Today I fancy a trip to this great marketplace that I have heard so much about and then this afternoon Brion said that he has a surprise for me."

"And what do you intend to shop for Milady?" Karolyn asked, a wry smile crossing her lips. The handmaiden was well aware of Eryca's penchant for jewelry and fine dresses. While Eryca was not overly materialistic or frivolous, the redhead did have a love of feminine things.

"Have you seen the way the women dress here?" Eryca asked from behind the dressing screen in the corner. "The way they wear those silk sashes wound about them. I want to look at those, they look really comfortable." She said as she pulled the lightest dress she owned over her head. The warmer temperatures of her new home were not lost on Eryca and she found that her current wardrobe was much too hot and heavy.

"Eryca!" Karolyn gasped. "I have seen those garments and they are much too revealing for a Lady of your station to be wearing!"

Eryca laughed as she stepped from behind the screen.

"Really Karolyn, everyone here wears them; it's the fashion. I really should try to blend in and look more at home and I think this will help. Besides they look really beautiful."

Karolyn crossed her arms and gave a disapproving sigh.

Eryca rolled her eyes.

"I'll be sure to maintain my modesty my dear friend." Eryca said as she sat down to brush her hair. "Now if you would be so kind as to find a maid who knows of an honest vendor and tell the guards that we'll be going out, thank you."

The beautiful young mage smiled as she watched her friend leave the room begrudgingly, still not convinced that a proper Lady should be doing this.

* * *

Prymp's outdoor market was situated in a large open area north of the Keep in the center of the Merchant's District. From the center of the market both the Bay Watchtower to the north and the Keep to the south were visible. Karolyn had found a maid named Esa who said she knew an amazing dressmaker near the market who used to buy from her late uncle, a cloth merchant. The three ladies were followed by two of the Keep's guardsmen, which Eryca had asked to maintain a discreet distance and appearance so as not to draw too much attention to them. This however did not prove to be very effective for while Eryca's alabaster skin had begun to darken in the bright blue virtually cloudless skies of the southern kingdom her mane of fiery red hair stood out like a torch in the sea of dark haired people who surrounded her; she garnered many curious looks as she passed through the crowded streets. Eryca handled the stares with dignity and grace knowing full well that the people would become accustomed to her in good time.

The three women wandered in and out of the hundreds of street vendors peddling their wares. One man was selling gold jewelry from Bissel and rare gems from Ket, another swarthy looking vender claimed to have spices from the Lordship of the Isles and still another merchant was selling furs brought all the way down from the frozen northern territory of Stonefist. Besides the plethora of consumer goods there were booths cooking and selling foodstuffs from all across the Flanaess. After almost two hours of browsing much of what the market had to offer Esa guided Eryca and Karolyn to the dressmaker's shop that she had recommended. As the royal party entered the large storefront they were greeted by a tall statuesque woman of undetermined age.

"Greetings my Lady, welcome to my shop. I am Celestria, how may I help you?"

"Hello Celestria, I am Lady Eryca and this is my lady in waiting, Miss Karolyn. We..." Behind her, Eryca heard a grumble of disapproval from her friend. "or rather I, am looking to buy some new dresses."

"So you are Lady Eryca Tandris, our young Lord's future bride. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance my Lady." said Celestria as she bowed in a traditional elvish greeting. "I have heard of you for I traveled extensively before settling here in Ahlissa and I spent many years living in and around the Kingdom of Celene."

It was at the mention of Celene, the elven kingdom that Eryca fully took notice of Celestria's appearance. Her lithe and graceful form, silvery blonde hair, delicate hands and especially her slightly pointed ears. Eryca mentally chided herself for not noticing right away that Celestria was in fact, a half-elf.

"I spent many months in Celene studying under Albin Flameward, the great elven Pyromancer. I loved it there, such a beautiful place."

Celestria smiled at the young woman.

"I have heard of Master Flameward, though I never had the pleasure of making his acquaintance. Now milady let us turn to your needs. So you wish to purchase something similar to what I am wearing?"

As she spoke Celestria slowly turned in place drawing attention to the bright green attire that adorned her svelte figure.

"Yes, I love it!" said Eryca enthusiastically. "Please tell me, what is this called?"

"The dress itself is called a sati, it is one long piece of fabric that is wrapped around the waist and tucked into a petticoat and then the loose end or palli is draped over the shoulder in whatever way you find comfortable. Now under it I am wearing a blouse or chola, which can have sleeves or not and can be cut in any way that you chose."

Eryca cast a furtive glance over at Karolyn who was perusing several bolts of cloth across the room.

"And is the midriff always bare?" She asked in a hushed conspiratorial tone.

Celestria smiled at the inference that the older lady did not approve of a bare torso.

"Yes my Lady, traditionally the midriff is left bare. It helps with the heat and gives you an extraordinary freedom of movement that the bodice of a northern style dress does not afford you. However, if the occasion calls for it, I have made full length cholas that can be tucked in."

At this Celestria moved in very close to Eryca and after a fleeting look towards Karolyn the lovely half-elf whispered to the young noblewoman.

"Believe me when I say this my Lady, if you think the bare midriff is tantalizing to a man then you should see what that same bare skin behind a thin chiffon palli can do to a man's senses."

Celestria paused for a moment before continuing.

"Now shall we begin measuring you my dear? Because after that, I want to show you some exquisite elven silks that will flow across your beautiful figure like honey and feel like gossamer against your skin."

"Yes." replied Eryca nodding excitedly.

After finishing with Celestria the dressmaker Eryca, Karolyn and Esa made their way back through the market towards the keep but not without stopping at several of the finer jewelry vendors so Eryca could look at their wares.

* * *

Eryca and Brion had only been home only two weeks when they had participated in the arrest of the slavers at the Open Door rooming house. Eryca had taken the first few days to unpack and grow accustomed to the considerably warmer climate in her new home. Then she and Karolyn had spent several days learning their way about the tower and observing the comings and goings of daily life there. Never had they seen the home of a sovereign so open to the general public.

The gates and lower levels of the mighty alabaster tower were kept open to the citizens of the still young nation. The Lord's Keep was essentially a fortress with an octagonal base and out of the center, reaching for the heavens, was the central tower surrounded by eight smaller minarets. The ground floor was comprised of eight courtyards arranged about the base in a circle; while these courtyards served as public meeting areas they also created several rings of curtain walls that were overlooked by watchtowers. Walking in through one of the main entrances would lead one into a series of progressively narrowing corridors that funneled into the circular throne room.

The second floor contained sanctuaries and their small complement of priests but also various state libraries and other areas devoted to learning and research. The central floors housed all of the various Offices of State. Here were the various Ministers of the government carried out daily bureaucratic functions. The sixth story capped the octagonal base of the keep and held outdoor gardens which displayed flora from all across the southern kingdom. The gardens were kept as a quiet and contemplative area in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the tower.

The tower floor above the gardens was the chamber of the Council of Free Men. The Kingdom of Ahlissa had been founded as a constitutional monarchy. The Council was comprised of representatives from the twelve counties that composed the kingdom. William and Eryca had spent two days sitting in the gallery watching as the Council, presided over by the Grand Magister, went about its' business debating and voting on the various laws and treaties that demanded their attention. Above the council chamber and its' gallery were a series of apartments, meeting rooms and dining rooms used for the entertaining and housing of guests and foreign dignitaries.

Finally above all of that were the Royal Apartments and that is where Brion had taken Eryca that afternoon. He had wanted to show her where they would be living after they were married. He had explained that his father, a widower, had never occupied them, preferring to leave them for his offspring when he was wed. After looking through the various rooms Brion led Eryca back out to the central circular chamber. The large pillared room had a circular brazier in the center ringed by a sunken couch upholstered in black and dove gray leather. However, what he really wanted Eryca to see was up the staircase that ran around the circular wall of the room.

As they ascended the stairs Brion explained that they led to the outermost balcony at the top of the tower. Continuing up the stairs opened up onto the balcony but also continued up, winding around a ring of pillars. They stopped at the balcony and took a few minutes to admire the breathtaking view. All of central Ahlissa was laid out in before them; to the south they could see the Serumaram River and the extensive rolling green of the Ahlissan Plains. As they walked the circumference of the terrace and looked east, the county of Avoharp and beyond that the forest of Bonewood grew into the distance. To the north, the expansive blue of Relmor Bay stretched out before them and to the west the smaller towns of Porton, Shargallen and Getheren dotted the coastline. Lord Brion then took his Lady by the hand and guided her up the final stair.

The stairs ended on a small landing where a door of thick dark mahogany secured the uppermost room of the tower. Opening the door they walked into a large round room a little more than sixty feet across, it was slightly dusty with a few cobwebs where the convexly curved walls met the conical ceiling. In the walls were large banks of leaded glass windows with interspersed panes of clear and stained glass. The light that filtered in spread sprays of bright colors throughout the room.

"It's beautiful the way the light creates rainbows throughout the room but why have you brought me all the way up here my love?" Eryca inquired of her future husband.

Brion pulled her close to him and reaching up tucked a wild strand of her red hair behind her ear. It was the first time they had been totally alone in the last few days, with all the new people for Eryca to meet, planning and executing the raid on the slavers, they had been busy. Looking down at her, he drank her in. Brion loved her red hair, naturally curly it resisted all attempts to restrain it, her eyes and their shifting shades of green always pulled him into their emerald depths.

Today Eryca wore the purple lightweight dress which she had dressed in that morning before heading to the marketplace. On her feet were a pair of matching purple beaded slippers and encircling her head was an intricately woven circlet of gold made to look like ivy. Eryca's entire appearance accentuated her in all the right places; every time he looked at her, she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

As he gazed at her it was like he was seeing her for the first time again in the garden of William's fortress on Walworth Isle. The first time he had ever seen her he had felt something, a rhythmic humming in the deepest part of his soul and he knew then that she would always be the most important thing in his life.

"Brion?" she asked looking at him quizzically. "Are you okay?" Eryca knew he was fine but she always asked. Brion always acted this way anytime they were separated for any length of time. The way he looked at her in these private moments never ceased to give her those lovely butterfly feelings in her stomach and nether regions.

"I'm sorry Eryca; I was so taken with you that I forgot where I was." He said as he smiled warmly at her.

"It's okay Brion, you know I love when you look at me like that." replied the sorceress as she looked into Brion's deep blue eyes for some hint as to their purpose in this room.

Brion moved his left hand from around her waist and waved at the open space of the room as he looked across it.

"I am gifting you this room Eryca." he said as he looked at her again "Welcome to your new magikal study to do with as you wish, it will afford you with all the privacy you could desire." He smiled wide at the surprised look on her face. "I know you've been happy sharing a study with Aizan' on one of the lower floors but as the future Queen and the love of my life you deserve more."

Eryca stared at Brion open mouthed, shocked by his gift to her; she threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

"Oh, I love it!" She said into his warm chest. "Thank you Brion, I couldn't be happier!"

Walking back down to the lower floors Brion listened as Eryca chattered away excitedly about how she would arrange her new study and he knew that it would not be long before she had it just the way she wanted it.

* * *

Later that evening the two young lovers had dinner in one of the dining rooms near their apartments. Barnard the King, Eryca's grandfather William and Karolyn also attended. The group sat around the table and began to discuss possible dates for the wedding. As it would be an event of national importance the actual day couldn't conflict with anything else. Also present were several of the King's secretaries, the men who assisted Barnard in keeping track of all his various appointments and obligations.

William sat to Barnard's left and the two older men often talked concerning the difficulties of running a nation. The Shield Lands were a loose confederacy of individual baronies who had come together for mutual protection whereas Ahlissa was a monarchy with Barnard at its' helm. Though each man had different problems to contend with the responsibilities and concerns of their positions were very similar and both men treated their obligations with the utmost seriousness.

Between the members of the two royal houses and their attendants the date for the wedding was set, the fifteenth day of Flocktime. That gave them the next two months, Coldeven and Planting, to prepare for the grand event. The soon to be joined families finished their evening meal as Karolyn and Eryca talked excitedly about the upcoming wedding.

* * *

As the month of Coldeven approached so did the bi-annual inspection of the nation's borders. Twice a year a troop of the cavalry rode the countries' borders not only as a show of strength but also to check the border, collect information and discuss security concerns with the King's commanders in the field. While the Council of Free Men debated the laws it was the King's responsibility to enforce them and to maintain the security of the realm.

As was the usual custom Lord Brion would lead the mission as he had done for many years. A troop of cavalry consisting of one hundred Ahlissan Lancers would accompany Lord Brion as he rode from outpost to outpost meeting with the various brigade commanders. The mission would take several weeks and he was due to return on the twenty-eighth of Coldeven before the start of Growfest.

It was early on a Moonday; the twenty-fourth of Readying when Brion arose from his bed washed and dressed himself in his usual attire. He donned a pair of dark brown form fitting trousers, tan calf boots, a loose white linen shirt and his red and gold Lancer's sash; over his sash he belted on his rapier. After a light morning meal which he ate alone in his suite he began the climb to Eryca's study to discuss his departure for the upcoming mission.

After climbing the stairs up to the royal apartment Brion entered, then walked down a short hall into a circular entry hall. To his right through the arched entryway was the royal family's personal library and through the left entryway was the large pillared circular great room and along its' inner wall were the stairs leading higher into the tower; the young Lord swiftly strode up the stairs taking them two at a time.

Upon reaching the landing just outside of the door to Eryca's new study he stopped and examined the door. Similar to the door in William's fortress, the door to Eryca's study was now covered with runes and magik symbols. However, these new ones were inlaid with silver in a much more elegant fashion; he knew they were designed to prevent eavesdropping, spying and unwanted entry. So after briefly reminiscing about recent past events he firmly knocked at the door to his betrothed's study.

12