The Elite Broker Ch. 03

Story Info
Things are not as they appear.
4.3k words
4.35
44.5k
8

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/25/2022
Created 08/12/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
magee113
magee113
52 Followers

Chapter 3

Things are not as they appear

Dear Readers, thanks for your great responses to the first two chapters. I hope you will enjoy this one as well. Keep the votes and reviews coming please.

And robertreams, my wonderful editor many thanks for your patience. You are a joy to work with!

--------------------------------------------------

Monday

The revelation

Mr. Adams took off his glasses to pinch the bridge of his nose. The stress of the day's events, building in his neck muscles, was giving him a migraine. Standing at the nurse's desk, he grabbed the phone and called Helen.

"The physical on Ms. Manarro is complete." His voice reflected the pain in his head as he spoke. "Make sure the audio-video file is on the server, please Helen. Doctor Manning is wrapping things up now. We will be moving her upstairs to the suite in a few minutes."

"Mr. Adams... 'Edward', I can hear the tension in your voice. Is everything all right?" Asking with sincere concern for her employer.

"It could have gone smoother Helen. Ms. Manarro is a fighter. She hit Suzanne and scratched Robert's face, before they could sedate her. They're both fine but the drug didn't effect her the way we expected. Robert seems to think she might remember everything instead of having no memory, like the girls in the past. We may have real issues with her. I will be staying in the suite with her tonight." He continued wearily. "Would you please send up my laptop, some clean clothes, blackberry... my...um..." his mind drew a blank.

Helen knew the day's events had taken a toll on him. He wasn't thinking straight. "I'll take care of everything. Get her situated upstairs, then take a nice long hot shower. You sound like you could use it! A good stiff shot of something strong seems to be in order as well! And, stop looking for trouble. We've had issues in the past that we handled just fine. You're just looking at this one - differently. I will deliver your things shortly." Helen said before she hung up.

Adriana was out cold as the doctor and Suzanne wheeled the gurney past Edward on their way to the elevator. Pressing the call button, they waited for him. Though covered with a soft blanket, he could see the leather straps of her restraints hanging below the metal bed-rails. This was definitely not how he saw this play out in his mind during the interview.

A stabbing pain behind his eyes brought him back to the here-and-now with a jolt. "Damn!" he exclaimed out loud, not realizing he had said it. Helen was right about that hot shower. He was looking forward to it now, as they entered the elevator, hoping it would decrease the intensity that seemingly increased by the minute.

Always observant, Suzanne asked quietly, "Mr. Adams would you like something for your headache before we leave the clinic?" She had been watching him struggle with it for the past half hour.

"I'll be fine, thanks for asking Suzanne." He said with a grateful smile. "I'll take something later. I appreciate the offer though."

Turning to his friend, Doctor Manning he asked, "Robert, will she have to be restrained for the night?" The idea of keeping her tied to the bed didn't set well with him. After her ordeal in the clinic, he thought keeping her in restraints would terrify her beyond reason.

The Doctor was exasperated with his friend. His patience waning he said, "Edward, she has already proven to us that she's a hell of a fighter. Christ! She injured Suzanne and I. Both minor injuries I'll admit, but come on will you! We both know that she should not have responded to the drug with that level of sexual responsiveness or react to the pain of the implant procedure, again proving that the drug in her system, in unpredictable at best. Knowing all this first hand? I'm going to say -- for God's sake, keep the restraints. Think of her physical safety and yours, will you please? Stop thinking with your dick for a minute!" The doctor was clearly aggravated with his longtime friend. He shook his head in frustration realizing that Edward would do whatever Edward wanted; this could be trouble he wouldn't want.

Edward didn't appreciate his friend's tone. With his migraine escalating, his own patience was evaporating. Not bothering to look at the doctor, he answered with a disgusted, "Fine."

Finally the elevator arrived. Edward swiped his key card, allowing them to travel up to the penthouse floor. Upon arriving, he swiped the card again. The elevator door opened on the 30th floor. Doctor Manning and Suzanne rolled the gurney into the foyer, waiting for him to open the door to the suites. Instead, Edward opened the door to his private residence. He knew he would find cold condemnation in Robert's eyes so he didn't bother to look in his direction, having no desire to deal with Robert any further.

Robert kept his thoughts to himself. Instead he looked to Suzanne who was busily picking at unseen lint on the blanket covering Adriana, attempting to be invisible.

Edward could feel the disapproval and derision rolling off of Robert, thickening the air between them. Nevertheless, he wouldn't, couldn't let anything distract him from taking care of Adriana the way he wanted to. Needed to.

"Let's take her to the first room on the right down the hall. The master bedroom is directly across from hers. With both doors open, I'll be able to hear her, if there should be a problem." Edward said as he strode ahead of them to open the door. Why did he feel that he had to justify his actions or intentions? Was he trying to convince himself it would all work out fine? His migraine became a solid, steady pulse of pure agony, from his shoulders to his ultra-sensitive eyes. All he wanted was to get Adriana on the bed then kick Doctor Manning and Suzanne out!

Pulling the gurney into the room they positioned it along the side of the king size bed. Transferring Adriana was going to be tricky. As Suzanne pulled the comforter out of the way, Edward and Robert released her restraints. Suzanne and Doctor Manning attempted the lift but from Edward's view, they looked awkward. Pulling the blanket from Adriana's body, he lifted her himself. Cradling her to his chest. "God," he thought. "I want to hold her like this forever." Closing his eyes for a brief second, he lowered his chin to the top of her head, breathing in her scent.

Robert, standing out of the way, crossed his arms over his chest, rolling his eyes at what he was seeing. Edward's emotions had always been in check, his air of dominance and control ever present no matter the occasion. Whether conducting business or enjoying a relaxing day with close friends, the man was renowned for his self control.

Robert's thoughts evoked the memory of the horrible death of Edward's parents. Killed in a tragic car accident in New York City four years ago. They were driving in to the city to see the play, "West Side Story" at the Palace Theatre, when they were struck broadside on the passenger side by a semi careening out of control, the driver intoxicated well beyond the legal limit. The impact killed Edward's Mother instantly. His Father's spinal cord was severed in three places. Mr. Adams Senior died of his injuries in the emergency room at Mount Sinai Hospital.

Edward's relationship with both of his parents had been strong and loving. His Father, though caring and supportive to him as a child, became increasingly distant as he graduated from college, creating his own business, constantly pushing his son to do better, be better. Senior was a real bastard in the business world, known for his cutthroat tactics that garnered him many enemies. Though Senior was a brusque man, Edward respected his Father greatly.

Edward's Mother however was her husband's polar opposite. Lila was a genuinely lovely woman who met each day's challenges head on with admirable grace, endearing her to anyone having the privilege of knowing her. Her love and pride in her son always apparent, she had never held back an embrace or quick kiss on the cheek, no matter who was present. Edward, though he loved both of his parents, absolutely adored his Mother. Their deaths devastated him.

He had made all of the arrangements himself. He would not allow any detail to be overlooked, forgotten or mismanaged by anyone. Receiving many offers of assistance, Edward had graciously declined each one. During the memorial service at the church, then graveside at the cemetery, Edward had maintained a strong outer front, never leading anyone to believe that he wasn't emotionally in control. Some of the mourners viewed him as cold, indifferent - heartless. Not knowing the man personally, they didn't realize how deeply he was grieving.

Robert was now seeing his friend in a whole new light, displaying a new range of emotions that he was unaccustomed to. Maybe this all will work itself out, he thought to himself. A diversion from the norm. This could just be what Edward needs!

After Suzanne helped Edward position Adriana in a comfortable position, she went to Robert, placed her hand gently on his arm to get his attention and motioned to the door with her eyes.

"Edward, listen..." Robert said hesitantly. Though he knew his opinion on how to handle Adriana would not be well received, he continued, "At least attach her ankle to the cable system at the foot of the bed, using the padded shackle, so she can get up and use the bathroom if she is able, but not leave the room if she panics and tries to run."

Edward nodded his understanding, wordlessly to the doctor without taking his eyes off his girl's sleeping form. 'His, girl...' To him that thought was completely alien.

Suzanne led the doctor from the room. Robert shrugged his shoulders knowing, his words fell on deaf ears. "Suzanne and I will stay in the suite across from the penthouse. You can call me any time through the night and I will be here in an instant." He had said all he could.

"Hopefully I won't need to bother you, but thanks Robert. You too Suzanne," he called out to them. They were briefly in the hallway, then out the door.

Finally, Edward was alone with Adriana. Moving to the side of the bed, he sat on the edge watching her breathe. Gently, me moved a few wisps of hair off her forehead, brushing her skin softly with his fingers. Her skin was cool, but damp with small beads of perspiration. At least she doesn't have a fever, he thought to himself.

He examined her wrists. They were a little pink but there were no indentation marks from the leather restraints. That was a good thing. She may have pulled against them but the leather hadn't dug into her skin. Moving to the foot of the bed, he pulled the comforter up over her calves, inspecting her ankles. Again, pink with no pressure marks. As he stood there looking at her, the thought of restraining even one ankle troubled him. Robert was right however; a restraint really would be for her protection.

Crouching down, reaching under the foot of the bed, releasing the locking mechanism, he pulled the plastic coated cable up, laying the excess on the bed. There were four spools of the cable. One under each corner of the bed. Each had an adjustable, padded, shackle attached to the end, which could be unlocked only with a special key. Once locked on to the limbs, the spools would retract the excess cable essentially pulling the subjects arms and legs to the corners, effectively keeping them in a spread-eagle position.

Tonight Edward would only use the bottom corner shackle, applying it to Adriana's left ankle, adjusting the tightness then locking it. He pulled the excess cable out, letting it coil up on the floor, then locked the spool so the cable wouldn't retract, hurting or tripping her if she got up to use the bathroom.

Edward didn't realize he was holding his breath until he was forced to take a large gulp of air. Going into the en-suite bathroom, he looked around carefully for anything Adriana might use to harm herself with - or him. Finding only a ladies razor, he took it with him, as he went to his room.

The bright red display on his alarm glaring the time boldly, 5:12pm. 'Holy shit!' he thought. "The day just disappeared." His head still throbbing, he loosened his necktie, pulling it off, throwing it onto the chair in the corner. Rolling his head on his shoulders, he felt and heard the loud pops releasing some of the tension in his muscles. Moving to the dresser he got out a clean pair of boxers and a gray t-shirt. He unbuttoned his shirt, took off his belt, and then removed his trousers and boxers in one shot. Dropping them all on the floor, he made his way naked, into his bathroom.

Turning on the hot water, he paused briefly to let it heat up. Standing in front of the mirror above the large double sink, he looked at himself in disbelief. He had deep, dark circles under his eyes. Steam began to fill the room fogging the mirror, blurring his view. He didn't want to look at himself anymore anyway. Stepping under the hot spray, he let the water beat down for a few minutes before he soaped up. He was beginning to feel better already.

Getting out of the shower, he dried off, put on the clean boxers and t-shirt, and then headed to the closet for a pair of jeans. He looked around the room seeing his clothes scattered on the floor. He would pick them up later. He didn't really care if he did or not.

Edward left his room in search of the Scotch. The bar was fully stocked. He grabbed a short, crystal glass, added a few ice cubes and poured about two shots of the twelve-year-old imported whiskey. The rich smoky aroma tantalized his nose before the amber liquid touched his lips. He sipped it slowly, savoring the warmth sliding down his throat. He closed his eyes enjoying the sensation. Helen had shipped a bottle of Bunnahabhain home for him when she had visited Scotland. She and a friend had toured the distillery on the North East Coast of the Isle of Islay. The brew had since become a favorite of his.

He was half way through his drink when the in-house phone rang. Answering it quickly, not wanting to disturb Adriana, he heard Helen's voice.

"Are you decent?" she asked jokingly.

He pushed a button on the dial pad of the phone that unlocked the door to the penthouse. Taking another sip from the glass as he crossed the room to the door.

Helen nudged the door open with her hip, before he could get it open for her. Her arms full of things he had requested, for tonight and tomorrow morning. "Well, you certainly look more relaxed. How do you feel?" she asked, walking farther into the room.

"A lot better now after the shower and drink." He told her as he shook the nearly empty glass. The ice cubes tinkling like little bells as they clinked around inside.

"I brought you clean clothes for tomorrow. I had Kyle stop at your Water Tower apartment after he went to Ms. Manarro's. I also had him stop at Mike's Deli for a couple of sandwiches and finally Jewel grocery store for the basics. You don't stay here much anymore, so the cleaning service got rid of the perishables the last time they were here." Helen informed him.

He hung the clothes in the coat closet by the door. Coming back he took the box from her, setting it on the kitchen counter. "What am I doing Helen?" he asked her, as he watched her flop into the cushioned chair by the couch in a very 'un-Helen' like manner.

"Edward..." she said shaking her head as she looked at his tired face, "If you can't answer that question yourself, I certainly can't. I will tell you what I see though. I see a young girl finally making a ding in your tough as nails emotional armor. After all these years of waiting, I am seeing you let your guard down a little. It's a refreshing sight, I must say!" she said haughtily, as if she had won the lottery. "Let's go check on her."

Doctor Manning had called Helen, to tell her that Edward had Adriana in the penthouse. They walked to the open door without entering the room. Adriana was sleeping soundly. No longer breathing quietly, but snoring deep and loud.

"You took Robert's advice. Good! I'm glad that you realized that it was more for her benefit, than your own. I'm relieved." She said letting out a small sigh. "That snoring has got to go, though." Helen said, shaking her head and laughing. Edward couldn't help but smile too.

"Oh, before I forget. The recruit interview for tomorrow has been cancelled. After speaking with the woman, I decided she wasn't a good fit. Too many questions - not enough brains to store the answers, you know what I mean?" Helen looked Edward in the eye saying, "Take the day off Edward. You need it and Adriana will need you." Turning away from her boss, she headed toward the door telling him, "Now, I'm going home. The new maintenance man in my building isn't doing his job to my liking. He needs a sound flogging and I am just the woman to give it to him!"

Edward walked Helen to the elevator, laughing, "Thank you Helen. For everything. Have a good night."

Stepping into the elevator, she turned to him, with a semi-sinister smile, winked at him, "I plan to!"

The elevator door slid shut. Helen was off to make the maintenance man very happy. He couldn't hide his smile as he shook his head at her.

With glass in hand, Edward went back to the bar to pour more Bunnahabhain. Adding a couple more ice cubes, he poured himself a little less this time. Sipping the drink, he went to the kitchen, looking into the box on the counter. Never putting the glass down, he pulled out the bag of sandwiches, putting them into the refrigerator. Opening the door he found a six-pack of Coke, milk, butter, orange juice, eggs and a bag of shredded cheese all sitting on the top shelf. 'These must be the groceries Kyle brought up.' He thought. Closing the door, he turned to the counter by the stove where he found a bowl of fresh fruit, overflowing with apples, oranges, bananas and grapes of two varieties. A loaf of wheat bread lay beside the small mountain.

Going back to the box, he pulled out his Blackberry and laptop, laying them on the counter beside the key card he had left there earlier. Taking the now empty box, he opened the door to the utility room, tossed it on the floor and closed the door.

Grabbing an apple as he passed the bowl, he took his drink, crossed the room and flopped on the modular couch. Finding the remote to the entertainment console he tuned in to CNN to catch the world news. The WGN local evening news wouldn't come on until 10:00pm.

His migraine was fading slowly, as he relaxed into the cushions. He took a few more bites of the apple, closing his eyes, as he tasted the sweet juice coat his tongue. He could feel himself fading off to sleep. The half eaten apple still in his hand.

Edward heard a woman's voice. Adriana must be awake. He walked into the room to check on her, surprised to see that she had kicked the comforter onto the floor. Her exposed limbs were flailing defensively, as if trying to protect herself from something. Or someone!

Moving closer to the bed he saw that she had tangled the IV tubing around her arm and torso. A length of it lay across her breasts, rising and falling with her panicked breathing. She was in the middle of a nightmare. A bad one from the looks of it!

Reaching out to untangle the tubing, Edward's fingers brushed against her warm smooth skin. Her eyes suddenly opened her lips parting as if to call out for help. Seeing him, she calmed a little. "Hang on sweetheart, I'm only trying to help. Okay?" he told her, his voice warm with reassurance, his hands up and open, he took a step back.

Wordlessly, she nodded at him, still wary of this man. Edward approached the bed slowly. Keeping a quick, steady pace, his fingers worked at the tubing, pulling and adjusting it, until it was untangled. "Better now?" he asked with concern. His eyes searched hers. The panic he saw a moment ago had passed.

magee113
magee113
52 Followers
12