The Emma Blackwell story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Later discussion on the proposed book was filmed and at the end of that Kate asked each person were they happy with the proposal and all answered yes.

Lawyer Mrs Blake, whom Kate had hired because she was the executor of Harry Blackwell's estate and already had had written contact with the eight beneficiaries. She produced consent documents where each of the eight half-siblings agreeing to participate in the book project agreed to their names being used in the book and details of their birth detailed and their agreement to be filmed and their agreement of a group photograph to be used in the publication of the book and in its promotion.

All signed and Mrs Blake said their adoptive parents had been invited to her office to sign similar releases.

The film crew packed up and when they left Mrs Blake then described details of the estate at present awaiting probate and that would be divided up evenly into eight disbursements as would the net proceeds of the winding up of the Alec and Emma Blackwell Family trust.

She said there was only one other bequest. Harry Blackwell had left Kate Scott all of his cash and money on deposit, totally $38,000, to spend on getting his draft manuscript up to standard and then to get it published.

"As you all know, Kate has taken three months off work but retained on standby to fill in for the newspaper's editor as necessary. That arrangement has left her with an 85 per cent salary cut over three months so that cash bequest from Harry will assist to fill some of that salary gap after Kate has met all of her expenses involved in research, payment for original documents, traveling to see her publisher and these legal expenses."

Everyone clapped.

"Finally I wish to announce to the best of my calculations each of you eight, the only living descendants of Emma Blackwell, are likely to receive cash disbursement of about $52,000. The family home, last owned by Harry Blackwell, has realized a very satisfactory sale figure."

Everyone clapped loudly and looked pleased.

Alf Simpson, the least formerly educated of the half-siblings, rose and said, "Kate on behalf of your half-siblings we thank you for the tremendous amount of work you are putting into this publication project. I for one agree with your submission that this project could easily raise public understanding on the way adoptees are viewed in society and how parents are placed in such situations. I cannot speak too highly of your commitment to this project Kate, your professionalism and the careful and brilliant way you dropped details of this project on to us. Mrs Blake, thank you for giving us an indication of what is happening with our position as beneficiaries. Finally Kate thank you once again for bringing us together and you did so in this home, your home, as the eldest of the half-siblings."

Alf then began to sob. "I shall never forget Kate when you told me I have seven half brothers and sisters. I was completely knocked over (sob) by that disclosure because until that moment I had always thought I was on my own. You are (sob) an angel Kate and I'll never forget you. And guys (sob-sob), all seven of you, to hell with the half; I regard you all as my brothers and sisters (sob)."

Several of the group rose and others followed, some wiping their eyes. They all eyed Kate and clapped and several said "Hear, hear."

Anthony Kennedy, second oldest of the eight, said: "I agree with everything put so eloquently by Alf. Let's remain a united group for the rest of our lives and no matter where we end up, keep the occasional group emails flowing. God never in my life have I felt so emotional. Thank you Kate."

Everyone clapped.

Kate stood and raised her glass. "A toast everyone, to the three people who gave us life, our parents and Emma Blackwell."

"To my parents and Emma Blackwell," they all intoned.

Alone in the kitchen clearing away, Helen had heard all of that as she worked away as quietly as possible. Tears now streamed down her face.

Kate was too excited to go to bed after her mom and the last two guests left. The evening had gone better than expected. She sat at her laptop and made of list of things to do for her tasks for the week ahead.

Task one was to organize to begin writing and to identify preliminary points to strengthen the story, namely to fill in gaps, to note points needed to strengthen Emma's characterization. At present the manuscript left her too skeletal. Exactly what did she look like -- photos -- and what were her characteristics -- closely view the two film clips of her, looking for clues such was she right or left handed, was she overweight, under-weight, did she appear energetic or jaded, what was her coloring, what were her tastes in clothes.

She made a note to look at all the papers filed under 'Emma's house' to locate the main bedroom where presumably she took the husband who would have sex with her to deposit his sperm that would begin the process of fertilization to develop a baby in Emma's host womb.

Did Emma enjoy this sex from eight different men? (read diaries).

Where were the babies born and did the imminent adoptive mothers attend the birth (damn I forgot that question so ask say three of them).

And so the lists went on.

Kate finally wandered off to bed wondering whether her husband and his PA Kim were still banging away after the conference welcoming cocktail party.

She worked most of Saturday drafting words to fill major gaps in the manuscript, working on developing Emma's character and then she began writing up her interviews of all eight women. God it had been almost scary interviewing her mom about baby Kate's birth, before the event, during it and after it.

She then slept for three hours, having started her writing day at 5:00 and then had a bath and got ready to have dinner with her half-sister and Lucy's parents. She dressed semi-formally expecting Pamela to dress to impress.

Pamela answered the doorbell and was in a gold full length gown and wearing an expensive-looking sapphire and pearl chocker.

"Good evening darling," Pamela said, kissing Kate on the lips.

Well that was unexpected.

"Lucy won't be too long. She'd just arrived home. Come through and meet Lucas.

Poor Lucas. He was very good looking, still reasonably lean and his wife had probably insisted he wear a suit. He shook hands with Kate and she whispered there was no need for him to wear a suit when entertaining her. He looked grateful but made no effort to divest.

They began drinks and Lucy arrived from upstairs. Kate stood to welcome her and Lucy rushed and slammed into Kate and they kissed and hugged. Kate could feel the eyes of Lucy's parents on them.

"It's so lovely that I have a sister I can love," Lucy said expansively.

Kate noted with interest Pamela sighed while Lucas beamed. While perhaps that was Pamela thinking there could have been a sister had she not been infertile. Well there was a long way to go before the launching of the Emma Blackwell story. Perhaps in the time leading up to that Pamela would come to accept her daughter truly did had Kate as a sister as well as six other brothers and sisters.

All Pamela had to do was to accept the reality.

THE END