The Empty Pond

Story Info
An empty pond, and a young girl's life.
576 words
4
10.4k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The pond had always been empty. Ever since I moved here. No matter how much it rained, that pond never a drop remaining in its weedy basin. I don't think it was ever full. I think they just put it there so it would look like there used to be a pond there, and they could tell people who wanted to move here that it was a dry season, or something like that. Anyways, it looked ridiculous just sitting there, starving for some water. It was a pathetic pond, really. Barely three houses long, and maybe two wide, it hardly seemed worth acknowledging. I couldn't help it, though.

It was just more proof that I had moved to a desolate, ignorant town. Don't ask me how I considered it proof of ignorance, because it just seemed like the two went together, and I couldn't tell you why. Every time I passed the pond, I became more and more depressed. I guess the pond was a part of my life, but it seems kind of sad that I placed so much importance on it.

I knew I had to get away. I just didn't know how, or when, or even why. I wasn't completely sure what I was going to do once I did leave. I just knew.

And somehow I knew that the pond had the answer. Late at night I would sneak out, but not to get drunk with some friends, not even to meet some illegitimate boyfriend. It was to go sit in the middle of the lake. I didn't start out like that, of course. At first, I would just stand and stare, thinking about all my unanswered questions, then returning to my bed before I got to depressed. Then, as I slowly inched toward the pond, I slowly lost my girlish phobias about bugs and dirt, and just sat down, right in the middle.

I felt at peace there. I could sort out my thoughts. I was never afraid of some gang coming to rape me, or someone reporting a strange girl in the middle of an empty pond. I certainly wasn't afraid of drowning.

One day, as I was contemplating life, it started to rain. I sat there, watching the drops fall, tasting it like a little girl. As I stood up to leave, still not having lost my girlish phobia of getting wet, I spun. I don't mean just a little Twirl on my way home, I mean, in the middle of that pond, I spun and spun and spun around. Long after I became dizzy, I was still spinning, feeling my hair slap my face as I turned, my arms straight out. I ran home, laughing, knowing that all my neighbors already thought I was crazy, and hoping that now they knew I was happy being crazy. Happy that I had let go. Happy that I had made my decision right there. I decided to leave.

The very next day, as I picked up my solitary bag, and headed out, I was floating. I was leaving everyone I loved behind, everything I knew, but I was floating. You want to know why? Would you like to know how I was so sure? That rain that fell the previous night, that rain that made me lose all my inhibitions, that rain that made up my mind...it had done something that I knew was a sign.

The pond was full.