The Enchantress of Ingley Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh." Hafred seemed a little confused still, but then he frowned "But Sage Illuminous has been here for-"

"Just two years," the young Sage chimed up. "Before that, my mentor was here, the original Illuminous. When I heard he had passed on, well, I decided to come back."

The Prince laughed, "And I take it that your wife's situation had nothing to do with it?"

At those words, Scarlet scowled, her anger almost palpable. "Damn bitches can go choke." She spat the words, which earned another laugh from the Prince, and a commiserating look from Illuminous.

"Lady Scarlet, I always thought you were more worthy of the court than half of those who railed against you," Rufus spoke in a courteous tone, one which was soon answered by the Prince.

"Indeed. You and Crow will forever be welcome in father's court. and if they say anything about it, well Crow can turn them into frogs."

It was the young Sage's turn to laugh, and he just shook his head, "As much as I appreciate your words, Your Highness, we are happy here."

The Sage's wife sashayed over to stand behind her younger husband's chair, then slipped her arms about him from behind. "Indeed."

Hafred couldn't help but smile. He couldn't imagine the politics of court, but from the way even some of the older wives of the village frowned on Scarlet, he could begin to imagine some of the reactions of the highborn ladies.

"So, about that Enchantress," the Prince seemed to recall why they had originally come by.

"Oh! Indeed. Well," at this, the young wizard picked up a heavy book with tattered pages from where it rested near his chair. "I do not recall ever reading about an Enchantress living anywhere near here. You know it runs in the blood. There was, however, a witch. The Witch of the Dark Grove. I don't suppose the oracle could have meant her?"

Prince Cantrol shrugged broadly. "I don't think so. The oracle is always accurate, I do not think that an Enchantress would have been mentioned if it wasn't the proper word for what we seek."

Illuminous worried his brow, then laid the book in his lap. "Well, Witches and Enchantresses are oft at each other's throats. Different methodologies, they tend to get blamed for the worst of each others' acts. Even in the best of times they are rivals, trying to influence the same communities. If an Enchantress truly does dwell anywhere near to Ingley, she might have kept track of where and who she is."

Prince Cantrol rubbed his bare chin in thought. "The Witch of the Dark Grove? Sounds foreboding."

"A name is sometimes just a name. My mentor used to call this the House of Forbidden Secrets, and it's just a hut in the woods."

"A hut full of magic, and secrets." Rufus added, darkly.

"Some of which are forbidden," Scarlet continued, with an impish grin.

The young sage just rolled his eyes. "Well in this case, the Dark Grove isn't far away. Further off in the woods, it's near a patch of old growth trees and a place called The Broken Stone."

"I know where that is," Hafred chimed up. One didn't need to be a woodsman to know where The Broken Stone was. From the western fields, it was a visible spire of shattered rock poking up out of the surrounding trees like a bone from a compound fracture. It was an ugly thing, even from afar. "I think I can lead us there."

Rufus looked concerned, though it took a prompting look from the Prince for him to give those concerns voice, "If Hafred can lead us there, it would be well to let him recover his strength."

The Prince shook his head slowly. "I don't know whether we can wait. It's only a matter of time before Squire George learns why we are here. If he finds this Enchantress before we do, it would be hell to reclaim her."

"Is there something wrong with the Squire?" Hafred certainly was no fan of the old miser, but he couldn't understand why the Prince might consider him a threat.

"He is known for shirking his duties and withholding what is rightly due the crown. We have heard that he leaves his people well enough alone, so his reclusive nature is overlooked. However, the oracles warned that darkness now dwells within the House of Ingley, and may do much to help those enemies we now seek to defeat."

"Your Highness," Illuminous interrupted, "Just what is threatening the land?"

"When we find this Enchantress, I will tell you, my friend." Prince Cantrol reassured him, though there was a certain heaviness in his expression that Hafred had not seen before.

It was enough to make the young Sage drop his inquiries as well.

"If it's that important," Hafred finally decided, "Then I shall take you to The Broken Rock, and we can seek out this Dark Grove from there."

Rufus and Prince Cantrol regarded him squarely. "Are you sure about this?" The older man spoke.

Hafred nodded.

"Very well then. We shall leave this very night." Prince Cantrol rose after making the pronouncement, and stepped toward the door.

As Hafred and Rufus fell in behind him, Scarlet withdrew herself from her husband.

"Wait, one moment," she dashed into that unknown room, then returned with a leather satchel.

Hafred could hardly help gawking at the way she bounced as she ran back to him. He began to envy the young Sage, just a little. Still, he was somewhat confused when she gave the satchel to him.

"Your lunch," she explained. As Hafred glanced in to confirm that the package Jenrea had given him was still there, she added, "and a few things that may help you on your way."

Besides the wrapped meal that reminded Hafred he had yet to eat, there were a few strange vials, which seemed to shine with a soft light. Magic, no doubt. Potions prepared by the Sage himself.

"They will help you, should you find yourself in a close fight again."

With a dip of his head, Hafred closed the satchel. "Thank you, Lady Scarlet." He smiled at the way the honorific made her blush, and with that said, he took his leave.

Outside, as the others mounted up, he turned his gaze upward to mark the moon's progress. He hadn't been out longer than a few hours. The night was young yet, and they had a fair hike before them.

12