The Family Room Ch. 10

Story Info
Julie keeps a secret from her brother.
5.7k words
4.68
90.2k
53

Part 10 of the 12 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 06/01/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mused
Mused
1,268 Followers

Julie gnawed on her bottom lip. She thought about the damage just done to her brother's credit card account as she towed a white paper bag, stuffed with new clothes, through the crowded aisles of the department store. She fought through the aisles, feeling a bit like a salmon trying to swim its way up upstream through a river of shuffling feet and flailing elbows.

The day before Labor Day sales had brought countless shoppers to the mall, many of whom regarded bargain hunting as a competitive sport. For the most part she was confronted by families. The children of those families could be divided into two distinct camps, the disinterested and the disgusted. Both camps took measured steps, their shoes weighted by lead, iron and assorted heavy metals, making it clear that all were crossing the final Ts on a respectable wardrobe for tomorrow's first day of school.

There were droves of such children, from preschoolers to teenagers. Some were only a year or so younger than Julie's nineteen, but in light of the events that had transpired over the summer, she felt like a sage and battletested adult when compared to the shallow and sallow teenagers who drifted about.

She recognized a boy that had been in her algebra class last year. Was it Kevin or Devon? Julie was embarrassed to realize she no longer remembered his name. He offered a shy wave from across a rack of dress pants and an even shier "Hello".

For the briefest of moments Julie Martin the carefree, teenaged high school student was resurrected. She flashed her small, white teeth in a smile that made the boy turn pink. She had turned a lot of boys a lot of colors with that smile, but she was no longer interested in any ofthem. Only one man deserved to see her smile.

Rick, her big brother. They were together now. Together. She thought it strange that such a simple word could bring color to her cheeks.

Anytime she felt lonely, and that had happened many times in the past seven days, he was there, doing his best to fill the void that had been created by the sudden loss of mother, father and home.

An entire way of life, an easy and comfortable way, had been lost. The fact that she was nineteen, a woman of such short tenure, made coping all the more difficult. She surely would have crawled home to her parents like a worm, if not for Rick's understanding. He had been everything she needed: a friend, lover and most importantly a fiercely loyal and protective big brother. She only prayed that he would retain all of those qualities once he noticed the changes that were occurring within her body.

Her stomach grumbled. She reached into the leather purse dangling from her shoulder and unwrapped a raisin granola bar, ate half, then rewrapped and returned the uneaten portion.

Such disturbances had been occurring for a while now, bouts of nausea that she blamed on the most convenient excuse, be it greasy food, stress or the occasional stomach virus. Excuses had been enough to alleviate Rick's worries but she couldn't keep lying to him forever. Eventually he would realize what it meant when she spent early mornings on her knees, retching into the white, porcelain toilet.

Her most wonderful dream and fiercest nightmare had been brought to life by the results of a home pregnancy test, a test she had taken in secret two nights ago. Second and third opinions were needed, so she bought every brand of over the counter test she could afford. Each time the results were the same, a positive test and Julie hunched over the yellowed tile of the bathroom sink, her warm tears mixing with the faucet water.

A screeching scream focused Julie's attention on a rack of earth-toned autumn jackets. Three small children, all boys under five, giggled, screamed, wrestled and crawled beneath the racks of hanging outerwear. Their harried mother clung to the straps of a green canvas handbag and stomped the filthy tiled floor with a high heeled foot. She begged the boys to be still.

A tall, weedy man, presumably the father, yanked the oldest boy from beneath the rack of jackets. He delivered a swat to the boy's bottom, not a vicious blow, but it was enough to send a stinging message. Julie involuntarily clenched her own buttocks, remembering how effective such messages had been when delivered by the hand of her own parents.

The boy rubbed his backside while the father wrangled the two younger brothers. He commanded them to behave, unless they wanted to receive a similar punishment.

She thought about Rick, imagining him in the role of disciplinarian. Someone so patient and gentle could never do anything to harm a child. Their children would be more spoiled than some of the things in Lance's refrigerator. Julie bit the corner of her lip to preempt a smile. She turned and sighed. Her brother would make such a wonderful father, if only he would realize it.

Julie wandered through the petites section and found herself, not accidentally, amongst maternity clothes. She pulled a white top from the clearance rack. The short-sleeved linen top looked strikingly similar to one she already owned, sharing the same feminine lines with one major exception, room at the waist designed to accommodate the expanding abdomen of an expecting mother.

She considered buying the top but imagined Rick finding it amongst her wardrobe; that wasn't the way she wanted him to find out. She hung the top back on the rack and retreated from the maternity section just as a woman pushed a squeaky-wheeled stroller past Julie's toes. The woman paused, she peered at Julie for just a moment, then continued on her way.

A stroller, a baby stroller. Julie followed the woman through electronics, around hardware and beyond large appliances, always keeping her distance and behaving as discreetly as possible. She felt compelled to steal a glimpse at one of the beautiful little things that grew inside her, a real live baby.

She was not discreet enough. The stroller wheels ceased their squeaking motions partway through the kitchen gadgets as the mother abruptly stopped and turned around. Julie froze at first, unsure of how quickly the woman would scream for security. She grabbed the nearest item on display, a package of surgical steel knives, and pretended to read the lifetime sharpness guarantee.

She felt like melting into the cracked tile floor. The woman surely thought Julie was some kind of wacko, the package of steak knives clutched in her hands only enhanced that image.

Julie felt the eyes of the woman roam across her body, undoubtedly recording each feature and detail, making the police sketch artist's job that much easier. Her face would be on TV tonight, John Walsh would urge the entire country to be on the lookout.

"Julie?" the woman asked, speaking in a husky, but familiar, voice.

Julie blinked a few times and studied the woman, a woman who was younger than her inflated body had first suggested. She could never forget the distinct smile that greeted her, specifically the quarter-inch gap between the front teeth. It was her former classmate Tracy Adkins.

Tracy had been in her biology and English classes during junior year, before abruptly disappearing. Her friends had said Tracy dropped out of school the week before final exams. There had been rumors as to why she dropped out, of course, most speculated that she and her boyfriend had gotten in trouble together. But those kind of rumors always made the rounds in high school.

Julie never believed that studious Tracy Adkins had become a teenage pregnancy statistic. Yet, there she was, baby in tow.

"Tracy!? What happened to you?" Julie rarely asked such dumb questions.

"He did." Tracy motioned to the stroller. An infant boy sat half asleep, holding aloft a head much too large for his diminutive body.

Julie used her fingers to hide a giggle as the baby slumped against the padded back of the stroller seat. He was so adorable, like a doll come to life.

"This is my little Taylor." Tracy kneeled in front of the stroller and smoothed the wispy golden hairs that sprouted from the baby's otherwise smooth scalp.

Julie pursed her lips. She felt a pang deep within her chest as she studied the baby's half-closed, brown eyes. Was she capable of producing something so wonderful? She shut her eyes for just a moment and saw herself pushing a stroller. She imagined a little baby boy, his head capped with dark hair, his eyes a deep blue every bit as soulful as his father's.

She opened her eyes and felt another pang, located not in her chest but in her stomach. A sound like the baying of wolves penetrated her abdomen, a low, primal rumble that demanded sustenance.

"You sound like you're as hungry as I am," Tracy said, "would you like to join us for a snack?"

Julie nodded and within minutes she found herself in the middle of the noisy food court, seated in front of a giant bean burrito and a heaping dish of chocolate ice cream. She took a bite of each; the dissimilar flavors meshed together to satisfy her strange craving.

Tracy chattered about some mutual friends while she picked at a Romaine salad. Julie wasn't really paying attention, reserving her focus more for the baby's deep set eyes than whatever Tracy was talking about. "You're so lucky," Julie found herself saying. She licked a bit of refried beans from her finger.

Tracy snickered as she popped a cherry tomato into her mouth. "Lucky? My parents want nothing to do with me. They're ashamed, Julie; do you have any idea what that feels like?"

It feels like the end of the world. Julie wanted to say it but remained silent.

She had been disowned by her own parents because of the relationship she and Rick shared. Julie wondered how they would react if they learned she was pregnant; she wondered how Rick would react.

"Could I--would it be alright if I held him?" Julie asked. It had been years since the last time she held a baby.

Tracy nodded and un-strapped the baby from the seat. Julie lifted the boy and cradled him in her skinny arms, remembering the proper way to support his tiny head. The baby, who appeared to be so chubby and robust, felt fragile in her arms. He was completely dependant on his mother; he needed her.

Miniature fingers closed around a strand of Julie's long, brown hair. The baby liberated a single hair, tearing it out by the root. Julie's scalp stung but the pain was tempered by adorability of her assaulter.

The baby opened his jaws and stuffed the silky hair in his mouth, spitting and slobbering at the strange taste. He cooed, then yawned, snuggling his head into the crook of her arm.

"Taylor's wild about you," Tracy said. "He never sits still for anyone."

Julie smiled so wide her lips strained. "I've had some practice. I used to baby-sit for the neighbors all the time."

"A sitter, huh? Sure could use one of those. Five months without a night off has left me a little crazy."

"I'd love to--call me anytime."

"Great! I think I have your number; do you still live at home?" Tracy asked.

"No, I moved out with..." Julie maneuvered a spoonful of melting ice cream to her lips before rephrasing. "I movedin with my boyfriend. We're staying with one of his friend's downtown, just until we find something nice."

Tracy pinched Julie's shoulder and chuckled. "Living with a boyfriend? That doesn't sound like the sweet little Julie Martin I remember. I'll bet your dad was thrilled to hear that piece of news."

Julie's chin sagged. Her memory cruelly replayed Donald Martin's reaction to the discovery of his daughter and son in bed. She handed the baby back to Tracy and smiled sadly. "I have Rick; he's all the family I need." She touched the baby's warm cheek. "At least for now."

Tracy gathered her things and said goodbye, leaving Julie to sit alone and listen to the laughter of happy families and the squeaking of stroller wheels.

Rick was not anxious to become a father, she knew as much from the way he skillfully dodged her attempts to discuss the subject, but she couldn't hide her pregnancy from him forever.

By now he would have noticed the extra weight, even if he was too sweet to mention it aloud. Next would come the doctors with their shots and tests and ultrasounds. The medical bills would pile up floor to ceiling.

He wouldn't be happy but would he hate her, would he leave her? Doubts flew at Julie like daggers, doubts cold as steel, doubts that cut and pierced.

Sometimes she felt silly for imagining such gloom and doom. Rick had sacrificed so much just to be with her. After all they had been through, how could she even think of losing him now?

***

The corners of my mouth lifted as Julie's long fingernails tapped the keys on the cash register. She had mastered the succession of keystrokes that unlocked the cash drawer and proudly made change for her first customer. She glowed like a new mother while handing the man two crisp dollar bills and a quarter.

He smiled, thanked her and pocketed his cash, all the while trying to sneak glances at the glorious chest that lay hidden behind a very blue and very loose vest.

From my vantage point the blue Video Hut vest draped over the length of her butt, proving that the term "one size fits all" didn't necessarily apply to curvy little nineteen year olds.

The formless khaki slacks and white oxford shirts that made Video Hut employees the fashion plates of the retail world had to be special ordered in the petite sizes her body required, so for the time being she made due with tight fitting indigo jeans and the pure white tank top she had purchased at the mall.

Loaning her my credit card had been a very sound investment. A tiny cleft of spectacular cleavage peeked out from the neckline of the shirt, displaying the demurest of creases in her pale, supple flesh. As always, she managed to display just enough skin to turn my knees to oatmeal every time I glanced her way.

I smacked my palms together, applauding the swiftness she displayed in mastering the cash register.

She looked at me for just a moment, then chewed on her pink lip, refocusing her eyes on the countertop. She had been doing that ever since returning from the mall; it was as if she couldn't bare to look at me. While never an extrovert, Julie had rarely seemed so withdrawn. I could understand if she felt guilty about what happened with our parents, I felt guilty too, but I couldn't understand why she was so apprehensive around me.

Less than an hour before closing time, with the store empty of customers, I cornered her behind the cash register.

"What a week," Julie said, wringing her tiny hands. Her eyes remained locked on the register, her thumb nervously tapped the cancel key.

My fingers touched her cheek, feeling tension even in those fine muscles.

"They never kept me so busy at the mall, not even at Christmastime," she said.

There had not been a drastic increase in business that week, with the exception of a spike in loitering amongst the male customers.

She slipped out of her blue vest and laid it on the counter. Trickles of sweat traveled across the milky skin of her inner arm; moisture soaked the back of her tank top.

I reached in the pocket of my vest and pulled out a folded sheet of paper and a pen. "Here baby, the regional office wants you to fill this out. It's for their files."

She unfolded the paper and hunched over the counter. "An application? Doesn't a girl usually fill this outbefore she gets the job?"

"Sleeping with your boss does have its advantages," I said. Resting a hand on the back of her tight jeans, I felt the soft cheeks of her butt.

She tensed for a moment, then seemed to relax with the intimate contact. "Is that why Lance made you the assistant manager?" she asked.

"Very funny, Miss Martin." I smacked a butt cheek.

She giggled as the pen scratched across the paper, filling the page with feminine handwriting. She stilled only when she reached a space reserved for the name of her spouse.

"Would it be okay if I wrote: my big brother Rick?" She tapped the paper with the tip of the pen, leaving little ebony splotches.

"I don't think the regional office would approve of that." I leaned down to kiss the tip of her ear.

"How about you? Would you approve?"

"What do you think?" I whispered. My tongue wormed its way inside her ear to swirl around the unexplored cavern. The taste was strange and bitter but I didn't care; any flavor produced by her perfect body was delicious.

She reached back to steady herself, resting a hand on my thigh. I took the rubbery cartilage of her ear between my teeth and gently chewed, making her lean on me even more.

She tensed again as she reached the next question. "What about children?" Julie had developed a peculiar way of saying children. From her lips the word sounded like a statement, a question and an exclamation all rolled into one.

Releasing her ear, I leaned back to better look at her. "What about them?"

She pointed to the top corner of the paper tapping the empty box with the tip of the pen.

I glanced over her shoulder, squinting to read the smeared print. It wanted to know how many children the applicant had. Grabbing the pen, I drew several fat zeroes.

"Rick." She whined like a little girl deprived of a new toy. Her mouth clamped shut. As if realizing her faux pas she cleared her throat with an extended grunt. Once more she summoned the voice of a sultry young woman. "How much do you love me?"

"I really..." The words rattled up my throat where they promptly died on my tongue.

She turned to face me. Her eyelids and chin sagged. Something about her gaze made me uncomfortable, it seemed like she was afraid for some reason. Afraid of me.

Eager to lighten the mood, to make her look at me with emotions other than fear, I reached deeper in my vest pocket and extracted a pair of crumpled envelopes. One printed with each of our names.

"What's this?" she asked, unsealing her envelope. She pulled out her first paycheck and squeaked. "Two-hundred dollars! Rick!" She jumped in my arms and kissed me.

"You deserve a lot more, but I don't have control over the salaries."

She folded the check and tucked it back in my pocket.

"What are you doing? It's your money. You earned every penny of it."

"It'sour money. I want to take it to the bank and open a joint checking account; that would be so hot."

"You think a trip to the bank would be hot?" I asked.

"Mm, just thinking about sharing a checkbook with you is making me wet." She reached up on tiptoes to plant a kiss on my chin. "We'll sit down at the end of each month and pay bills together. I'll even let you touch me underneath the table."

She giggled as I slipped a hand underneath her tank top and caressed her sides. "I'll always let you touch me, Rick. Even if I get fat and cranky, you can touch me anytime you want."

"Fat? What are you---"

"I want you so badly." Her voice was a girlish hiss that taunted and teased my ear.

I opened the zipper on her jeans, releasing a musky heat through the open fly. She kissed me, wriggling her pink tongue between my lips. My hands wandered to her chest, as they so often do. I fondled and squeezed the breasts that had begged to be fondled and squeezed all evening. She raised her sleek arms, allowing me unfettered access beneath the thin, moist fabric of her top.

"You look so beautiful, baby, but I wish you would wear something a little more conservative to work tomorrow." I squeezed her pink, erect nipples. Between my pinching fingers, the nubs puckered and hardened further.

"You couldn't stand the way those men were looking at my body, could you?"

"God no, it drives me crazy when they look at you like that."

She grunted as my hands slid down her waist, grunted again when my thumb dipped in the little divot of her belly button.

Mused
Mused
1,268 Followers
12