The Farm Girl

Story Info
Was she a spirit, a ghost, or his imagination?
3.9k words
4.58
40.5k
21
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
julybear7
julybear7
2,083 Followers

With apologies to fans of "Portrait of Jennie" A romantic fantasy, or a fantasy romance? I hope you enjoy. Jb7

Jack Jeffries pulled into the driveway of the somewhat dilapidated farmhouse. Although the house was in dire need of paint, at least all the windows he could see were still intact. He stepped out of his Jeep and approached the house, digging in his pocket for the key the realtor had given him at the closing that morning.

Walking up on the porch, he tested each step and board as he crossed the verandah to the door. At least the porch seemed sound. He inserted the key into the lock and turned it, feeling it work with satisfaction. He pushed lightly on the door, which, after an initial stickiness, gave way easily. Jack checked the doorjamb; only some slight scraping in the paint, nothing to worry about, unless it continued to happen.

As he wandered through the house, he saw traces where some animals had been busy tearing at the upholstered furniture which had been left in the house. He'd have to get a cleaning crew out to dispose of the pieces which couldn't be resurrected.

He was pleased to see the remaining windows were also still intact. In the city, he knew, a house, empty like this, would have long ago been boarded up, the glass and copper destroyed or stolen.

The bedrooms on the second floor were large, and, something unusual for the age of the house, had closets. The only drawback to the house that he saw, on this, his first trip through it, was the absence of a second bathroom. The existing bathroom was certainly more than adequately spacious, while the claw foot tub, with its eight inch diameter shower head, was quaint, and would be fine.

He made his way down stairs to the kitchen. This room would have to be his first priority. There were no appliances, not even a stove, but, he saw, there was the availability of gas to cook with. He had been fearing he'd have to cook with wood or coal.

Movement on the back porch caught his eye. When he opened the door, he was surprised to find a young teenaged girl sitting on the steps, gazing out toward what had obviously been a garden area.

"Figgered you'd come out here 'ventually." she greeted him. "M' name's MaryKate, but everyone calls me Irish. It's from m' dad. Says m' hair 'minds him of Bushmill's, whatever that is." All, seemingly in a single breath, around what had to be a gigantic wad of gum.

"Well, hello, Miss MaryKate. My name is Jack Jeffries, Jack to you, unless your parents object. May I call you Irish? I can see why your father says what he does about your hair. That honey amber blonde hair does indeed look like Irish whiskey. But I'll bet there's more than that behind your name. Your fair complexion, with that smattering of freckles, and your eye color, that green hazel combination, are pure Irish, I'm betting either your mother, your father, or both, are of Irish stock."

As she turned her body to look up at him, the tee shirt she was wearing drew taut against her budding breasts. She turned back and stood up. "You gonna look at the rest of your new farm, Jack? How come you bought this run down place anyway?"

"Yeah, I am going to take a look around. You want to come along, or do you need to get home for supper? Are you old enough to stay out after supper on a school night?" He looked at the young teen, beguiled by her innocent charm and beauty. Although he had to deal with troubled kids on a daily basis in his job as a mental health counselor, he often found himself at sea when dealing with normal teens. With Irish, he was completely at ease, enjoying her company.

"Of course I'm old enough; I had my fourteenth birthday nearly three months ago, 'n' my mom knows where I am. If I'm late, she'll save me a plate." As they walked around the outbuildings and field, she pointed out some features the showing agent's video had neglected, including the presence of a pond, suitable for swimming, in the woods. She said she'd take him there the next time she saw him, but now, with twilight approaching, it was getting late for her to be out.

"Where do you live? I could give you a lift home," he offered.

"Thank you, but we're just over there," she said, pointing with a nod of her head. Starting down the driveway, she looked back over her shoulder, sadness suddenly clouding her eyes, "See you around, Jack."

The next weekend found Jack on the road to his new farm on Saturday morning. He had contracted with a cleaning service in the village, through the listing realtor, to haul away the furniture he thought beyond repair, and to generally give the house a thorough sweep out.

When he pulled into the driveway, he was both pleased and surprised to find Irish waiting on the verandah steps, a more mature Irish. She was taller, with a more womanly figure. In greeting her, he commented on the change in her.

"I should hope so, I had my fifteenth birthday almost three months ago." Although puzzled, Jack accepted her statement thinking he must have mis-heard her last week. "The people came and cleaned out the junk. It took two truck loads to carry it all away. Come, see how much better it looks cleaned up. When are you going to start painting? I can help."

Inside, it, indeed, looked much better. Not only had they swept, they had cleaned the windows and washed the walls. As the teenager and the 38-year old bachelor walked through the house, they discussed uses for the large rooms, and possible color schemes. He was impressed by her color sense, creativity, and maturity.

At lunch time, he invited her to stay. He had a cooler with provisions for lunch in his Jeep. She quickly suggested a picnic by his pond.

They assembled the sandwiches, rather she did, while he sat and watched. She insisted on doing it all since he had supplied the food. From somewhere in one of the cabinets, she produced a cloth tote bag in which she packed the sandwiches, snacks and soft drinks Jack had brought from the city. She also produced a blanket from somewhere to use as a table when they got to the pond.

Out past the barn, Irish showed him the path to the swimming hole. On the way. she pointed out wildflowers he needed to be careful of trodding on, weeds he should pull as soon as he got a chance, and some of the trails used by the small wildlife in his woods.

A quarter of a mile into the woods, the path veered to the left, through a thicket of pine trees, and opened into a small park-like area surrounding a pond about twenty-five yards in diameter. On the far side of the pond, the trees grew right to the edge of the water, but where they entered the area, it was a grassy meadow, about thirty feet between the trees and the pond. The grass, nearly up to Jack's knees.

Irish looked at him with a flirty smile in her eyes. "Sometimes, when there's no one else around, I sneak out here and go skinny dipping. It's so nice to lay naked in the warm sun and let it dry you. I'll bet you try it someday."

Without considering the implication of his reply, Jack answered, "If you were a few years older, we could try it now."

"How much older, Jack?" she asked, her eyes bright with the promise of womanhood. "How old are you, anyway?"

Realizing what he had said, Jack swallowed hard. "Nearly forty, and you would need to be at least six years older than you are." He put the tote bag down and fished out the blanket.

"Nearly forty, huh? Wow, I guess I better hurry and grow up." She sat and unloaded the tote. As they ate, she asked Jack about his work and what it was like. He briefly described his job and told her about some of the cases he had, without mentioning names.

He asked her what she wanted to do when she grew up. She said she hadn't decided, maybe a librarian, like her mom, or a nurse, or, she said with a smile, a glamorous actress.

"D'you think I'm pretty enough?" She pulled a stem of timothy grass and put it in her mouth. She then unbuttoned the top button of the blouse she had tucked into the waist of her mid-thigh length shorts, and leaned back on her elbow, looking like a Hollywood publicity photo of a teen-aged starlet. As she looked at him, she rolled the grass from side to side with her tongue, that small muscle just grazing her lips.

Jack felt an uncomfortable surge in his pants, and stood up. "We better be getting back to the house. I'm supposed to meet some salespeople here this weekend about the kitchen appliances."

Although they walked back in silence, Irish slipped her hand in his and held it tightly all the way to the house. "You don't need to be afraid, Jack. I won't bite," she said softly when they arrived there.

"Irish, it's not you I'm afraid of. I'm afraid I might bite."

She smiled, her eyes bright, and stood up on tiptoe to give him a quick peck on his cheek. "I hope so," she whispered. Then she ran down the driveway. "See you around, Jack," she called back. "Tell the appliance people to check the gas connections. Some of the houses have had problems."

The next weekend, Irish wasn't waiting for him, and, in fact did not appear. However, his living room and dining room furniture arrived and was set up. Jack spent the weekend stripping paint from the gumwood cabinets in the kitchen. When he was done, he wiped them all down with tung oil.

On his way back to the city, he drove through the village. The only road there was the one Irish had pointed out, when indicating the direction to her house. On that road, between Jack's farm and the village, was one old, burned out house and the village cemetery.

He stopped in at the only restaurant he saw. It was a quiet afternoon, and the waitress working the counter was willing to chat. When asked about Irish and her family, the woman looked puzzled.

"Between school and marriage, I've lived in this place going on fifteen years. There aren't but fifty kids in the high school, 'n' all of them are in here at one time or another during the week. I don't ever recall hearing the names MaryKate or Irish." She turned to the kitchen pass through. "Hey, Carl, you ever hear of a girl named MaryKate, sometimes called Irish?"

A grizzled, toothless face appeared in the window. He looked at Jack, a pensive expression on his face. Slowly, he shook his head. "You buy the old Hoskins place? Ain't been any family out that way in twenty years or so, not since the gas lines blew up and burned them six families to death one night."

He rubbed a dirty towel across his face, wiping away the sweat. "You best have the gas company check them lines and fittings afore you move in. Rumor at the time was the valves and fittings was rotted so the gas leaked through them. Sump'n sparked in one of the houses and the blast ran through the pipes, blowin' up one house after t'other. Gas company won't check 'em, hire yourself summ'n. Better poor than dead."

Back in the city, Jack took the cook's advice and called the utility about the story he had heard. The customer service rep assured Jack that all the pipe and fittings the company was responsible for had been replaced. Jack then inquired about the pipe and fittings on his property. Who was responsible for them? Although they had been sold and installed by the gas company, they were the responsibility of the property owner. Yes, the company would inspect them, for a small fee, and they would take care of it for Jack at the earliest possible moment, after they received the fee. Jack gave them his credit card number over the phone, and asked the rep to expedite the inspection since he was scheduled to move in the first of the month, not quite two weeks away.

Jack arrived back at the farm the next Saturday, around noon. His plan was to finish the refinishing of the kitchen. Instead, on the dining room table he found a note from Irish saying that she would meet him at the pond. His heart in his throat, he found himself hurrying, nearly running, to the secluded setting. Without pausing or slowing, he broke through the pine thicket just as she was emerging from the pond, as bare as she had been when she was born. Well, not quite that bare.

She had significantly more hair, not just on her head. Jack was stunned by her beauty. And her maturity. Irish had apparently experienced a growth spurt, gaining at least an inch and a half in height, as well as around her hips and bust. She did not hurry to pick up her towel, nor to cover herself when she did pick it up, giving Jack ample time to absorb her image.

Finally, she spoke to him, "Hey, Jack. Would you give a girl a little privacy while she dresses?"

He shook his head, and finding his voice, replied, "Uh, hmm, oh yeah, sorry."

Irish laughed. It was the first time he could recall hearing her laugh. If he had been entranced before, he was now enchanted. Her laughter was clear, bell-like, yet smokey and seductive, suggestive and innocent, all at the same time. As he stood there, suffering his embarrassment, she walked up behind him and turned him toward the pond.

"You could probably use a swim about now. I'll wait for you on the path." Then she reached up and gave him a soft kiss on the lips.

After she disappeared into the pines, he quickly stripped and made his way into the water. He found it refreshingly cool, and surprisingly deep. He swam the diameter of the pond both ways, twice, cooling the heat of his excitement.

When he emerged from the pines, she was waiting there for him, amusement plain in her eyes, a smile playing around her lips. "You all right now, Jack?"

"No thanks to you," he laughed. "My God, you've grown. You look fabulous."

"Well, I hope so. I had my eighteenth birthday a few months ago."

"But..."

"So, Jack, what were your plans for this weekend?" She interrupted as she wrapped her arms around his left arm and hugged it tight to her side as they walked along the path back to the house.

"To finish up in the kitchen. I got the cabinets done last weekend, so I just have to paint the woodwork. The appliances will arrive next weekend. I thought, if there's any time tomorrow, I might start stripping off some of the wall paper."

"Oh, no! It's all in such good shape, and it really makes the house pretty and unique. Leave it, please? For me?"

Jack looked down at her face, her brow furrowed with the fear he would say no, her green eyes dark with worry. "Okay, but only if you'll have dinner with me." His reward was the most dazzling smile he had seen in months.

Getting ready for the trip, he had hoped she would be there today, and had packed some cold chicken, potato salad, pickled beets, crescent rolls, and soft drinks. They sat down to eat in the dining room after they had finished the painting which needed to be done. Over dinner, she asked him about some of the cases he had told her about at the picnic by the pond.

After he answered, remembering that day, he asked her again if she had any plans for after high school. She smiled and answered, "I think I'll try for the glamorous movie star. Some people's reactions give me the idea I might be pretty enough to make it."

Jack coughed and choked on his drink. "You may be right," he was able to sputter when he recovered.

Irish looked out the window and saw the sky getting dark with twilight. "Oh, dear," she sighed, "Getting time for me to go. Thank you, Jack, for the dinner, for keeping the wall paper, and for liking me." She had walked to his chair and was standing so close he couldn't stand. She took his face in her hands and kissed him, just brushing his lips with her tongue. "See you around, Jack," she whispered.

The next weekend he arrived on Friday. When she was not at the house waiting, he jogged to the pond, only to be disappointed. He stripped and had a quick swim, then threw himself on the grass to dry in the warm summer sun. She had been right. It was wonderful.

The next day, she still did not appear. The workmen with his kitchen appliances, however, did. They installed the dishwasher, refrigerator and stove. When they were done, he asked the men about the gas line and shutoff valve in the basement. After a quick inspection, they assured him that, visually, everything seemed okay and that their gas sensors had not picked up any sniff of a leak.

He spent the rest of the weekend stocking the kitchen and arranging the furniture in his bedroom on the first floor. His plan was to move in over the Fourth of July, next weekend.

For the past year, Jack had been living in a small furnished apartment. Anything he had which would not fit into the small space, he had put into storage. His clothes, some books, his CD player and TV, some CDs and DVDs, a case of wine and his family pictures were all he had to move. It all fit into his Jeep Liberty easily, for a single trip. Then he could bring the stuff in storage as it was needed, or as it fit into his truck.

Because of the time it took to load up Friday, it was early evening before he pulled into the driveway, He grabbed his suitcases from the back and walked into the house. There, in the living room, on the sofa, was a vision of sophisticated loveliness. Irish was waiting, her face and hair done, dressed in a simple, attractive summer frock, looking for all the world like she was set for a night in the city. When he appeared, her smile lit up the room.

"I was afraid you weren't coming tonight."

"I had to pack up the Jeep with my stuff. It took longer than I anticipated." She stood to greet him as he walked to her. "Which birthday did I miss this week?"

"Twenty-first," she whispered, and kissed him, slipping her tongue into his mouth to meet his. "Hmm, you're all sweaty. Do you want to get a shower before we eat?"

Jack glanced out the window, at the dwindling daylight. "Do you have time?"

"Mom knows where I am. She won't worry. Unless I'm late for lunch."

Jack's heart somersaulted at the promise in those words. "Join me?"

Irish took his hand and led him up the stairs. In the bathroom, as she was removing their clothing, she kissed him again. "Jack, I know this may sound silly under the circumstances. I'm not sure I'm ready just yet to make love. But I do want to spend the night with you, holding you, and you holding me. Can we do that? Or would that be too hard for you?" She giggled. "Oops, no pun intended."

"It will be hard as hell, pun intended," Jack groaned, standing in his well-tented jockeys. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her tightly against him. "But, yes, we can do that. Just promise me that we will make love sometime soon."

"Yes, love, I can promise that. Soon, maybe in the morning, and then, we'll have all eternity."

Later that night, in Jack's double bed, they laid knee to knee, chest to chest, with Jack's staff tightly gripped between Irish's thighs, his fingers playing lightly over the side of her breast. "Ooh, no. Please, love, don't. Just hold me for now." And she turned over so Jack could spoon in behind her.

Rodney Dawes was a high school senior, filling in on the paper route for his younger brother, away at Boy Scout camp for the next two weeks. His brother had mentioned that someone was moving into the old Hoskins farm and might want to sign up for the morning paper. He saw the Liberty parked in the driveway and decided to stop, to try to sell the subscription. As he approached the house, he noticed the distinct odor of natural gas.

He pulled out his cell phone and called 911 while he ran up on the verandah. Before he got an answer, he tried the front door. In his excitement last night, Jack had forgotten to lock it. Rodney pushed it open then backed off the porch, not knowing if the signal and current in his phone would be enough to set off the gas. When the operator answered, Rodney gave the necessary information, the address, what had happened and what he had done.

Inside the house, in his double bed, Jack lay unconscious, near death. As his spirit was attempting to decide whether or not to leave his body, he had a vision of Irish approaching, kissing his lips with a tender, loving kiss and telling him to go back, it wasn't his time yet. "Don't worry, Jack. I'll find you. We have all of eternity."

julybear7
julybear7
2,083 Followers
12