The Final Insult Ch. 07

Story Info
Departure, a search, meeting in the rain, thereafter.
7k words
4.78
7.1k
17

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 05/27/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers

Dear Readers,

I'm having continuing trouble posting to the site. However, here's the last installment of The Final Insult.

Enjoy,

KemMyst

*******

Anne spent her days looking for medicinal plants and early starches to add to the food supply. She read, watched the occasional show, doted on her son and grandson.

She smiled and laughed, but there was an undercurrent of sadness in her.

Both she and Beth got bigger.

Eddy and Jen stole off together on a regular basis. And, happily, Alicia began spending more time with Callum. Anne smiled when she saw them together, glad that her eldest son, and their Alpha, might finally find happiness with a mate of his own. Emily disappeared overnight now and again, continuing to worry her parents.

Anne walked out of the science lab one day and stopped dead. Shawna practically ran her over. "Mom?"

She smiled and sighed, a hand to her belly. "She moved."

"Can I feel?"

"I'm not sure you can, but here." Anne pulled Shawna's hand to her belly. "Oh! There. Did you feel it?"

Shawna's mouth dropped open. "Neat."

"Wait 'til you feel it from the other side."

*****

It was warmer now. His expenses were low and he'd been saving up for some big things for his camp in the wilds.

He went back to the bar. Rick asked him where he's been and what he'd been up to. Ethan gave vague answers. What about his mystery woman? He told Rick that he'd seen her and decided to move on. He also told Rick that he had some family obligations that would take him away a lot.

He bought a dirt bike and a small cart to pull behind it with his supplies. He moved some of the bigger stuff to the new compound over a couple of weekends. He told Mr. Spencer that he had to take off again and brought another load of supplies to the cabin and began outfitting it.

*****

Anne talked to Evan about his father. Beth caught her at it one day. "So what will you tell the little one?"

"That her father was kind, and that he loves her."

"And when either of them asks where he is?"

Anne closed her eyes. "I don't know. I guess I'll tell them he had to leave."

"They're liable to blame themselves."

"No. It's my fault that he left."

"How is it your fault? He's an adult, he decided to go, not you."

"I could've told him", a sigh, "that I", a pause, "cared for him."

"He's not dead, Anne. You could still tell him."

"I asked him to be my mate, Beth. He said no."

"Did he tell you why?"

"Because I really didn't want it, that I only asked because I was pregnant again."

"How did you ask him?"

"I said 'I suppose we should get mated.'"

"Well, I must say, if I received such an enthusiastic proposal, I would have jumped at it."

Anne's voice rose in anger. "I know. OK. I know. But he's gone."

"Again. Gone. Not dead."

Anne was increasingly restless over the next couple of days, having trouble concentrating. She approached Callum. "Callum, I want to borrow the truck to go into town."

"Is something broken?"

"No." He looked at her, not speaking, forcing an explanation from her. She looked a bit guilty, dropping her eyes. Taking a couple more breaths, she raised pleading eyes to him. "I want to see if I can find Ethan."

It was so tempting to torture her a little bit but he concentrated on being an Alpha. "He's been gone for 6 weeks now. What if you don't find him this time? How many times will you try?"

She swallowed, looking at her eldest son. They couldn't afford to waste resources. "Just this once."

He hugged her. "Make it two times, Mom. Good luck."

She practically ran to her room, to change into clothing that wouldn't look too out of place in the human world. Beth readily agreed to watch Evan, smiling at the excitement in her friend's eyes.

She tied a small bag around her big belly and grabbed the keys to the truck, kissing Callum as she passed. "Thank you."

"Be careful."

*****

Ethan had been working on the cabin. In the heat, and with no one around for miles, he dispensed with clothing. He'd set up the storage system, with the banks of batteries, and was working on putting up the solar cells.

He'd already made additions to the fireplace, to increase the efficiency. And a water pump sat nearby, waiting to be installed.

Working alone, it was harder and took longer to do the work. But it occupied his mind and he fell exhausted into the bed at night.

It wasn't all work, although he had a lot to do before winter. He shifted to wolf and ran around the hills sometimes. Enjoying the freedom that was his birthright. Plus the occasional rabbit.

Her smell remained in the bedcovers, and he actually cut a piece off, to have something that carried her scent alone. Her face and thoughts of her body came into his mind at odd times. He sighed and pushed them away when they came. But it seemed to come more often with time, as he started to think of how big she would be now, the sex of the baby she was carrying, and what Evan was up to now.

*****

Anne arrived during daylight hours, which was a bit more risky. She parked the truck on the outskirts of town, trying to unobtrusively hide it.

She walked around the small downtown area, listening for his voice, trying to catch a hint of his scent, looking for the Blazer. His job, he would have to have one, he'd never told her. But, his skills lent to woodworking. Was there somewhere in town that did that?

She stopped into the local inn, a place that served food and rented rooms. At mid-afternoon, the place was empty, save for the couple of teenagers in a dark corner.

The woman behind the bar eyed the pregnant lady who walked in in rather unfashionable clothes. She had long brown hair and brown eyes, with a button down shirt that failed to cover that big pregnant belly. However, she moved with a rather lithe grace that belied her condition.

"Sumpin' I can do for you?"

"Yes, thank you. Is there a place nearby that does woodworking, carving, or something along those lines?"

"Only place I can think of is Spencer's, outside of town. Makes furniture."

"Which way?"

"Southeast, a couple miles. Big building on Martin, you can't miss it."

"Thank you."

As the woman left, the waitress figured out where she'd seen someone move like that before. Ethan. She loved to watch him come, and especially go. She had tried to lure him into bed, but he never took her up on the offer. Was this his wife? Girlfriend? Sister? He never talked about his family.

She didn't want to bring any attention to the truck, so she started walking. A couple of miles wasn't that far. Half an hour later, a concerned woman stopped beside her on the road, and offered her a ride. They made small talk for the five minutes it took to get to the factory. The lights were out and the doors locked. The driver looked at her. "Was someone supposed to meet you here?"

"It's closed?"

"Uh, yeah, it's Sunday."

Anne closed her eyes. Great. She didn't even remember what day it was.

"Looking for the daddy? He run out on you?" Anne made no comment. "Whaddya gonna do? Go back to town?"

"That would be wonderful, thank you."

As they drive back the driver makes a few offhand comments. "Probably better off without him, honey, if he'd run out on his pregnant girlfriend."

Back in town, she was dropped near the inn. "You gonna be ok?"

"Yes, thank you. I'll get ahold of my family." Anne waved as the woman left, muttering about what bastards men were.

She could ask around town, but she'd seen him, met him, at the bar. So, that was probably the best place to try now. If he wasn't there, the bartender would tell her if he had been. She went back to the truck and drove out to the bar. She parked under a tree in the back corner of the lot and sat there, watching some of the patrons arrive.

No sign of Ethan's Blazer. She finally gathered her courage and walked to the door. Her hand trembling slightly, she grasped the handle and opens the door.

All conversation ceased briefly as she walked inside. The smell was overwhelming, smoke, alcohol, the crush of human bodies.

Rick watched her come up to the bar. Ethan's woman, pregnant. She'd come back. Oh, this couldn't be good.

"Excuse me, you remember Ethan, don't you?"

"Sure. What's going on?"

"Have you seen him in the last month or two?"

"Damn, lady. He said he'd found you and moved on. I can't believe he ran out on you."

"I didn't say that. Have you seen him?"

"Yeah. He was back here for a while. Told me he had family obligations that would take him away sometimes."

She looked a little confused but then she smiles. "So, he's been here recently?" Rick nodded. "Last night?"

"Nope. Haven't seen him for a week or two."

Now she looked a little upset. "A week? Or two?" Rick nodded. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, blew it out. "OK. Thank you."

As she turned to leave he called out to her. "Hey! Want to leave a message, when he comes back?"

She turned partway back to him, "No." then walked out the door. She got into her truck, shaking. Gone. Where would he go? Farther away? He hadn't come back. Gone. Maybe for good.

*****

He'd got the place pretty much outfitted. Lights, electricity. Things stored in the outbuildings. He'd go back to work later in the summer, get a few more things. He'd got a place to stay out here; he just wished he had someone to share it with.

He looked to the sky. Weather coming in but he'd earned a run in the hills and he was going to take it. He shifted and took off.

*****

She'd been a bit sad after coming back from town; she hadn't found Ethan. But she was getting better, maybe letting go of him.

She had just helped Beth deliver her son, Grant, and felt like getting out.

She yelled to the general population, "I'm going out for a run!"

William looked at her. "It's gonna rain soon."

She smiled. "Great. I haven't been out in a good shower for a while."

Aidan had his arm around Shawna's waist. "Aren't you a little old to be out playing in the rain?"

The smile got bigger. "Never too old."

"Be back for dinner!"

"Yes, mom." Anne shifted and took off, tongue out, loping through the grasses.

The air was warm, moist. The grass getting higher. William was right; she could smell the rain coming.

She ran through the fields, through the woods, up a hill, enjoying the breeze in her fur, the intensity, the richness of the odors before the storm, the feeling of freedom.

A loud clap of thunder and the rain poured down. She stopped, head down, then shifted. She laughed, circling the trees, raising her face to the warm summer rain. Coming out into the open, she put out her arms and twirled, laughing. A good solid kick from the baby and she stopped. "Your mama loves the rain, sweetie, you'd better learn to appreciate it."

***

Damn. He hated getting soaking wet. He headed toward home, head down.

Partway back, he perked up his ears. Laughter? He had to be hearing things. Who would be out here in the rain?

Now full of curiosity, he cautiously closed on the sound, since the rain wouldn't let him smell what was there. Carefully. Carefully. Yes, laughter. He poked his head around a bush and his breath left him.

Anne. Twirling around in the rain laughing. She looked gorgeous, glowing. Her breasts were fuller again, the nipples a little darker now, a darker line running from her navel downwards. Her hair was plastered across her shoulders and around her chest. Her belly swollen and, moving? She stopped and dropped her head, talking to the baby? A rivulet of rain trailed between her breasts and ran around her belly.

He walked forward, mesmerized by the sight of her.

She stood in the clearing, face upturned, eyes closed as he advanced on her. She jumped when a rough tongue ran across her palm. Slowly, she dropped her face and opened her eyes. She placed her hand on the head of the large brown wolf at her side. "Hello, Ethan."

She watched his change. A tall, broadchested man with soaked brown hair now stood beside her, fingers twined in hers. He turned to face her, put an arm around her waist, the other around her back and kissed her. The kiss broke when he felt the baby kick him.

He put his hands on her belly. "Oh, wow. That's incredible."

"I don't think she likes the rain."

He smiled. "She's like her daddy in that."

She touched his face. "Will you come home with me?"

He put his arms around her again and kissed her neck. "Sounds good to me."

They ran back to the McKenna compound together and walked in, smiling and laughing. He swept her up in his arms and carried her off to her bedroom, passing several of the others on the way. Her arms were wrapped around his neck, head resting against his chest.

The pack all watched and grinned as they were passed. Sandra and Sean kissed each other and walked off to tell Callum and the others.

Anne and Ethan missed dinner. They came up later and eat quickly and sparingly, before returning to Anne's room.

The next morning they came up for breakfast, grinning like youngsters with a secret. Their mood was infectious and everyone's mood lightened. Callum decided to wait before asking the questions he needed to now. Beth and Nick appeared with Grant; she passed the baby off to Nick. Beth walked over and hugged Anne and kissed her forehead then kissed Ethan on the cheek before dropping into a chair.

The meal was its usual chaotic self, but happier, celebrating both the newest and eldest pack members.

Ethan went down to see Evan to allow Anne and Beth a chance to sit and talk. Beth was pleased to see Anne's mood so improved, happier than she'd seen her in years. Beth got up with Grant to go back to her bedroom and get some rest. Anne rose from her seat as Ethan walked back into the room. Stumbling slightly, he looked down at his feet, then up. Anne's eyes had gone wide and her chest heaved. Her face was a mask of fear and horror.

Frozen for a moment by her reaction, he took another step forward. "Anne?"

She broke and ran, out of the room, out the front door. He was about to go after her when Beth stopped him. "Ethan?"

"What the hell was that? What just happened?"

"You stumbled."

"I stepped on one of the kids' toys."

Beth's face registered relief. "She thinks it's the virus. Go get her."

He went after her, following her scent around the back of the compound.

She'd gone to wolf, and was lying on Devon and Erich's grave. He sank down next to her and stroked her fur, then her back as she changed back. Her voice was flat. "I can't do this again."

He kissed her and said softly. "I'm not sick. I stepped on a toy."

"Please don't lie to me."

He laid down beside her and put his arms around her. "I think you're subconsciously sabotaging this through some feeling that you're being disloyal to Devon or that you don't deserve to be happy."

"You're blaming me."

"No. No. Well.. Let's walk through it, shall we?" She made no dissenting gesture. "You and Callum obviously came to an understanding where you were not required to bring a new male into the pack." A nod. "So, rather than finding a male to bond with, you chose to have sex with men you met in bars so you could get pregnant." Grudgingly, she nodded again. "You found that you were pregnant by me, but they wouldn't help you end it, so you tried something yourself, right?" Another nod. "Now, when you went into labor, you took off." A nod and a sniff. Ethan took a deep breath and said, a little more quietly, "And, after a difficult birth, one of our boys dies." She nodded again, her throat tight. "You're mad because I showed up, mad because Callum let me stay, and then you start to feel something. There's an attraction but you still keep me away, or try - telling me you killed my father, sleeping with someone else, and I'd like to find out who that was, someday. Then, to top it off, I end up getting you pregnant again. So you give me this half hearted proposal, virtually guaranteeing I'll turn you down." She twisted to look at him. "You acted like you were settling. How do you think that made me feel?"

"With all this, I leave. You, you invite me back with you. I step on a toy and you take off, straight to his grave and accuse me of lying to you."

"What do you think this is? Karma? That you're only allowed one shot at love? Do you blame yourself?"

"You're in the age range, Ethan. There's no reason to believe you're immune. It was hard enough watching Devon die."

"More excuses. You care for me or you wouldn't have run." He touched her face. "I love you." She opened her mouth. "No. Quiet. Let me finish."

"I know you feel something for me. I don't want you to feel forced to make any kind of commitment to me. I've been working on upgrading the Palin compound. I plan on going back into town from time to time, to get more money, to get more for the compound. I'll be staying there, far enough away so you can decide what you want, near enough to see my children, and you, if you're willing. I'll try to be happy with what you're willing to give me. But, I won't lie to you; I want more. Much more."

He kissed her forehead. "I'm not sick, Anne." He caressed her belly, squeezed her hand, got up, and walked back to the cabin.

She sat up and watched him walk away. She then laid back down and began talking to Devon.

Ethan talked to Callum, congratulated Nick and Beth, and talked to Beth for a while. He then went to Anne, pulled her tight, kissed her, and went back to the Palin compound.

Anne was thoughtful the next couple of days, then spent quite a bit of time talking to Callum and Eddy.

The next day, after breakfast, she told Beth she was going out and might not be back for a while. Beth smiled and waved her off.

She ran to the Palin compound and circled the buildings, looking for Ethan. He wasn't there. She shifted and looked further, surprised and amazed at the additions. There was new wood on some of the buildings, a small motorcycle in one, stores and tools in another. He had knocked down a couple and was in the process of rebuilding one of them. Solar panels, other niceties.

She went back to the door of the building she had worked on, hand going to the door. She squeaked when an arm snaked around her and pulled her away.

"Spying on me?" She could hear the happiness in his voice.

She grinned back. "Just had to see what you'd done with the place."

His arms were around her waist, his hands on her belly. "When does she sleep?"

She smiled again. "Not when I do." She put her hands on his. "Can we talk?"

"Of course." He opened the door to usher her in.

"No, please. It's beautiful out here. I'd like to stay outside, if you don't mind."

He dragged out a couple of chairs and they sat under a tree. He took her hands as he looked at her. "Um. OK. Um." A deep breath. "Maybe it's true. Maybe I'm afraid, maybe I blame myself, maybe, if I don't get close to someone else, I won't get my heart torn out."

"How's that working for you?"

She chuckled. "Pretty lousy. But I'd like to talk to you about this place." Ethan looked a bit confused. "You know I planned on staying here after the boys were born." Ethan nodded. "The reasons haven't changed. Devon and his brothers are gone; I'm the oldest member of the pack and I don't feel right staying there any longer."

"I would like to stay here. I've talked to Callum and he won't prevent me. Would you let me live here?"

"What sort of conditions would you place on this arrangement? The seesawing is driving me nuts."

"It would be pleasant to stay with you, without demanding too much of each other for a while. Besides", a hand to her belly, "she's gonna make it a little difficult and awkward for a while."

"I want you to talk to me instead of running away. Tell me what you're thinking, what you're worried about, what you need. You still don't really trust me yet or trust yourself around me. You've got a lot of life left to live and I want to spend as much as I can with you."

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers
12