The First SaR Mission Ch. 09

Story Info
The ultimatum...
8.6k words
4.83
6k
7

Part 9 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 12/06/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-The Full Moon Retreat-

Episode: The First Search and Rescue Mission

Chapter 9:

The ultimatum...

To the reader:

Boy! What a week this has been! First, a hardware crash, fixed that. Then before I could catch my breath, Mozilla updates Firefox and it clashes with Norton Identity Protection and that starts crashing my system. Enough!

Well... I didn't "feel the love" for the reduced punctuation in chapter 8. The trouble is chapter 8 is mostly a "housekeeping" chapter. The rating was still good, and I thank you for that, but I could not determine whether the drop in the ratings was because the change in punctuation or that the chapter was just up against the limit of its story quality. So, we will try another chapter with reduced punctuation. I know that the readers are clamoring for the Dawsons to be turned... Don't you hate all of the "grunting and squeezing" and nothing is happening? Patients folks. There is a time dilation to this story. The werewolves have only been in contact with the Dawsons for less than half of a day, so far. At the least, this chapter won't leave you guessing. I suppose that in future stories I will have to up the excitement in each chapter. That makes long stories harder to write, because I will not have my characters doing stupid or illogical things just for the sake of action. I don't like to find that in a story and I will not knowingly put it in mine.

Anyway, on to chapter 9. Again, a reduction in punctuation chapter.

Special Thanks to my wife Diane for proofreading for me.

[17:00, Wednesday, base camp, the dining hall]

Jack is speaking to the team members that have returned from the search and to the press.

"Now, that I have brought everyone up to date; I need volunteers willing to begin transporting the materials that we have on hand, out to the crash site. Oh, and one more thing, it will be dark or nearly so by the time that you make it to the campsite. I think that it would make sense for those that go out this evening to simply stay at the camp for the night. Our eyes are excellent in low light, but with this thick overcast, tonight is going to be more like no light. There is no need to take the risk of traversing this terrain in foul weather and in pitch-blackness. So, for those that wish to volunteer, it will be a 'puppy-pile' tonight."

Immediately, a forest of hands is in the air.

"Thank you all for your eagerness to help, but how many of you that are volunteering, have not been out yet?"

A dozen or so hands remain in the air.

"Excellent! That should be enough to transport the supplies that we currently have on hand.

"Jay, would you go and take look in the storage room and the back of the truck and see how many more cots we have that we haven't put out yet."

"On it, Boss."

"I'm hesitant to send anyone out a second time today because tomorrow is expected to be a very busy day, as supplies should start arriving. We are going to need to have a steady stream of wolves making the round trip to ferry supplies to the crash site."

"Who has actually been to the crash site?"

Another dozen hands go up.

"Ok, who of those that have been to the crash site, and knows the easiest and fastest path there, would be willing to act as a guide to take this group out?"

The same dozen hands go up.

"Ok, ok. Draw straws. I want one of you to guide this last group of the day to the site. I want the rest of you to relax and get to bed early and get a good night's sleep. It is 28 miles, round trip to the crash, and that's a pretty good run, even for a Werewolf. I don't know exactly what tomorrow will be like, but we may have enough supplies for everyone to make two round trips. In this weather, that is going to be very taxing."

Seeing Jay enter the room, jack points to him.

"Alpha, we have forty-three left."

"Good."

"Jay, now, would you talk to housekeeping and see if they have as many as two dozen pillows, blankets, and sheets. And, see if they have enough of the vacuum storage bags to squeeze all of that stuff down and a way to evacuate it. Got it?"

" Yes, Alpha."

"Let's see the hands again of those who haven't been out and are willing to make this run.

There are eight hands still up.

"You eight go round up saddle packs. Check the storeroom. If there aren't enough there, check with the guys that went out this morning."

Jay returns from the housekeeping group.

"Alpha, Eleanor said that they might be light on pillows."

"Ok, let me check with George down at the crash site and see what his priorities are."

Pulling the handheld radio from his belt, Jack calls the camp site.

"Alpha to '41'."

Thirty seconds passes until George answers.

"41' go, Alpha."

"George, what are your priorities on supplies, we can send you? We don't have any of the new medical supplies or tents and other stuff, yet. That may not arrive until tomorrow. I can send cots and bedding for the patients, I don't know what we have on hand for medical supplies. I can send MREs and water. Also, I have only got nine wolves available for the last run today."

"Alpha, let me check with everyone and make sure that a puppy-pile will do for sleeping accommodations. Standby one, please."

Several minutes pass while George confers with the people at the crash site.

"41' to Alpha."

"I'm here, George."

"Alpha, I asked and everyone is happy with a puppy-pile tonight. We have two good fires going and enough wood to keep them going all night. We have managed to rig a large canopy made from the orange parachute cloth. We have just enough water to get through the night. All we have for food are energy bars. I think that the MREs would be better than those. I think that the priority should be to get all four survivors onto cots. I need to check with the guys and see if they spotted any game today. If we could get a couple of large pots, something to eat out of and some salt and spices, then we might be able to feed ourselves to some extent. So, Alpha, I guess that what I'm trying to say is that as long as there are humans out here, we need everything, but, I say the patients come first."

"The hunting idea is a very good one. Check with the guys to see if there is game available and I'll talk to Loretta and see what she could put together for you. We'll send cots and bedding for the patients, MREs for tonight, and water. Let me know if they think there is game to be had. Did we ever get an evaluation of the patient's conditions?"

"Yes, Alpha. Their conditions are pretty much what we thought at first. The little girl has third-degree burns with eighty percent coverage. The medic has said that she won't make it. The father has two compound fractures and a lot of bruises. The EMT said that the boy has a fifty-fifty chance of internal damage. The mother also has a lot of bruises, but no major injuries. Alpha... if we are going to save the girl, we're going to have to turn her pretty soon."

"I know, George. I'm going to call the Council to see if they are getting anywhere."

"Thanks, Alpha. This is getting really difficult to watch."

"I know it is, George. Hang in there."

"Base Camp out."

"Jay, there will be nine wolves going on this trip. Get them shifted put packs on them and tie on four of the folding aluminum and canvas cots, get eight flat sheets, eight blankets, four pillows, and as many MREs as you can stuff in. See if you can find any medical supplies. If nothing else, commandeer the camp's first aid kit. They need it more than we do. I'm going to talk to Loretta to see if she can spare a couple of stew pots."

[17:30, Wednesday, base camp, the kitchen area]

"Loretta, what could you spare in the way of stew pots, a pan, and plates, cups, and utensils? George had what I think is a pretty good idea. If we can get them some stuff to cook with he can send some of his guys out hunting in order to get some hot food into everyone. Since we have humans, they're going to need some salt and spices. The humans aren't going to be keen on fresh kill."

"How many is he trying to feed, Jack?"

"Somewhere between twenty and twenty-four, I think."

"I'll see what we can round up and send to them."

"Thanks, Loretta. Whatever you come up with give it to Jay over there. He will figure out how to tie it on some wolves."

[17:50, Wednesday, the operations room]

Jack calls the Were Council and speaks with Osmon Hamil.

"...Osmon, we have got to get it done soonest. The medics are saying that the girl may not last until morning. And, the husband is likely to go before the weather breaks here."

"Jack, I'm sorry. This has turned into a cluster-fuck. Half of the council wants to get on with it, a fourth wants to wait and a fourth say no way."

"Please, point out to them that the press, and therefore the whole world, already knows that the family's mother has asked that they be 'turned' and turning them can save them. And... that the Were Council is the only holdup. The world is going to hold the Council and us responsible for letting them die."

"They know all of that, Jack!"

"I took on this job at the Council's invitation and now it seems that there aren't enough balls on the Council to back me up."

"Jack, listen. Don't go do anything stupid!"

"Osmon, look I know that you are in my corner. However, it seems that I already have done something stupid. I took a job offered to me by politicians. Osmon, it's apparent to me that I am on my own. They are leaving me to twist in the wind. Fine! You tell them for me, that they have one hour. They can get onboard or they had better hang on tight!"

"Jack, don't go off half-cocked! Jack, you can't threaten the Council"

"Osmon, my old friend, I am not threatening the Council. I am offering fair warning."

"Jack, please, wait. Don't do anything stupid."

"Osmon, I am a pack Alpha. You and they made me that. After this crap is over with, if they want this job, those neutered old farts can come and take it from me. One hour, Osmon. Goodbye, my old friend. I hope this won't be a final farewell"

Jack presses the 'end' button on the sat-phone. His stomach roils with hunger, fatigue and a deep lonely feeling.

[18:25, Wednesday, the crash site camp]

The valley, dark already from the inclement weather and low overcast, begins to dim further as the sun sinks below some unseen horizon. The weak light assumes a sickly verdant hue that speaks softly of desperation and despair. A vaguely iridescent green mist creeps as silently as a serpent up the valley, between the trees, low on the forest floor. Night lowers its cloak of black velvet over the forest. A darkness so thick that stepping beyond the last tree illuminated by the camp, one might expect to find himself adrift in empty space. Anna, arms crossed over her chest, stood at the edge of the encampment peering out over the valley; her back to the warmth and light of the fires. Tears streaked her face, dirty and bruised. Becky, noticing Anna's desolation, quietly walks over and reaches out placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Yeeaaa!!"

"Oh! Anna, I'm so sorry!"

"Oh, Becky it's ok.

Anna's heart is racing like a trip-hammer.

"You just startled me."

"I'm so sorry, Anna. I didn't mean to."

"Becky, it's alright. I was just standing here staring out into the mist. It's funny really; here I stand in a dark forest shrouded in an eerie green fog with Werewolves everywhere. It's a scene that the director of a horror movie would give up a nut to capture on film."

Both women are racked with silent laughter.

"You know, Becky, it's a shame that I don't have my lace teddy or a flashlight so that I could go wandering around in the woods!"

The Women are laughing out loud now and people turn to stare in wonder.

"Well, Anna, I can help you with the flashlight, but I sleep either in my birthday suit or a fur coat!"

"And... here I am begging to get bit by a Werewolf!"

They sit down on a log laughing hysterically as the entire camp turns to watch.

The laughter finally subsides to giggles and then to silence; Anna sniffles with tears running down her cheeks.

"Oh, Anna, you've been crying. It's going to be alright. I know it will. Suzy is holding her own, for now, so is Aaron. George told me that they are waiting for medical supplies and tents and things to set up an impromptu field hospital. And... You've got our Alpha working for you too. He's really nice and he's smart and strong and he may still get permission from the 'Council' to 'turn' you and your family. I know that wouldn't be your first choice, but what you were you will eventually be again, with just a little interruption. Anna, then you will have all the time in the world; your family will be healthy and strong. Anna, this will seem like a stroll through a carnival funhouse. When you come out the other side the world will be full of laughter and light again. I'll bet that you will like being Were. I sure do. And, just imagine, when you go camping, you'll be the biggest bad-ass monster in the woods! Well... sep' for maybe a "griz" bear, but you can outrun his fuzzy ass! If they will let us turn her, Suzy, probably, won't even have any scars, in a few weeks. Aaron's legs will be perfect again and he'll be strong enough to lift a small car. Oh, and you'll find some of his improvements to be really wonderful. And Bobby will be Bobby, healthy and very strong."

"Thank you, Becky. I hope your right. You know it's strange, but I actually want to become a Werewolf. I grew up thinking that Werewolves were just movie "monsters" and then I heard some, well, just rumors really, that you really existed, then this. Our plane crashes in the primeval 'land of the lost', and who should come to our rescue, but Werewolves. But, you destroyed all of my fantasies... 'cause, you aren't monsters at all. Well, wait are there fairies and leprechauns, too?"

"Sorry, Anna. I don't know any fairies or leprechauns. Oh, but, there's still the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause!"

"Thanks, Becky. I know that you're trying to cheer me up, but what if the Council doesn't give its permission?

"Well, all it takes is a drop of saliva from a Werewolf to get into a wound deep enough to get below the skin. Did you ever watch a big dog when it was panting? They drool a little. Well, werewolves do too. Please don't tell anyone that I gave you any ideas."

"Becky, do you remember the wolf that came into camp and wanted to lick Suzy?"

"Sure. That was Nancy Wharton. She is Benjamin's mom. That's him over there."

"Did she stay here in camp or go back to your base camp?"

"No, she's here somewhere."

"Was she crying, Becky, after you told her not to lick Suzy?"

"Yeah, she was pretty torn up. Benny said that he followed her and that she went off in the woods and found a quiet spot shifted and then sat and cried for a long time. I can introduce you to her."

"I'd like that. If they allow Suzy to be turned, would it be alright if I ask her to tend Suzy's burns?"

"Uhm, sure."

"I'd like to say thank you to her for caring."

"Yeah. She's a nice lady. She's kind of like, everyone's other mom."

"Becky, what's it like? I mean when they turn a human?"

"Well, I've only seen it done during the mating ceremony. Your turning would be much different from that."

"Oh, yeah. The Alpha described that to me briefly. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that outside and in the midst of a crowd of people."

"Oh, sure you could. If you wait six months or a year, you'll have been naked in a crowd of naked people so much that it will hardly bother you. And you will want to do it anyway so that you will develop the mating bond. You'll like that. When it's done in the ceremony, you shift right away because of the full moon and the 'Circle."

"What is the Circle?"

"It's the place that a lot of Werewolf celebrations and ceremonies are held. It has magical properties that increase our magic. They say that a circle is always placed where two or more 'ley lines' cross."

"What will I become a witch or something?"

"No, no. Not a witch, though I have heard that there were Werewolf witches. No, magic refers to the fact that a one-hundred and ten-pound woman can turn into a two hundred and seventy-five-pound wolf. It kind of tweaks the nose of physics, doesn't it? We don't understand it either, so we just call it magic. I guess that's what magic is anyway. And, there are a lot of little things that can't be made to happen in a laboratory. So, it's sort of like you aren't the magician, you're the rabbit! Hah! That'd scare the hell out of them if the magician pulled a Werewolf out of the hat!"

"Anyway, where were we? Oh, yeah. Unless there was a Werewolf in your woodpile (eh, your family history) or you are 'induced', you won't change until the next full moon. Being induced isn't like inducing labor or something. It's more magic; something that an Alpha can do to cause you to shift.

"Once you are 'bitten', it's going to be like you have a bad flu. You will run a fever of about one-hundred and one and probably be unconscious for a couple of days. Just as well, who wants to stay awake with the flu? Anyway, the healing of any injuries will start to speed up on about the second day. Bruises, deep scratches, sprains, things like that, should be gone when you wake up. More major injuries like Aaron's legs will have done some major healing, but will still have a ways to go. Broken bones have to be set before the process begins to ensure that they heal properly. Sometimes things which are essentially missing can be regrown. That is what will happen with Suzy's skin. If she gets the licking process, the skin will reform and close up, but there will be some pretty bad scarring. The scars will slowly fade over about a month. In the last stage, the skin will be unnaturally red, but in about another month that should go away too. I've seen smaller areas on Weres burned like that before, and that is the process they went through."

"How hard do they have to bite you?"

"What, you mean to turn you?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. Well just hard enough to get some saliva below the skin. I was told about this little human girl that was recently turned by accident. She was out running and playing with her little friends who were in their wolf form (puppies) and the little girl fell and broke her arm. It was a compound fracture. Well, the Were pups, not knowing any better ran over and started to lick the wound where the bone had torn the skin. It was just instinctive for them. What they would do for a Were in human form in the same situation. Well, that stopped the bleeding immediately and about half closed the wound, but the little human girl was turned. So, you see, it doesn't take much. The more saliva that gets in, the better the chance of turning you, though. It occurs to me that, if they are bringing medical supplies down here tomorrow, there are bound to be syringes and needles in the supplies. I imagine that we could just get a wolf to drool into a syringe and then inject you with it and not need to bite you at all. I know... eewww! But, seriously, that should work better than a bite. More saliva under the skin."

[18:40, Wednesday, campsite]

Anna hears a strangled groan from twenty feet away, near the other campfire, she pivots on her log seat to see Aaron trying to pull himself into a sitting position. She jumps up and runs over to him yelling for him lay back down.

"Oh! God! Anna, you're alright!"

"Aaron, don't move around! You're hurt...bad!"

"Yeah, got that. Are the kids ok?"

Weeping, "Aaron... no, they're are hurt. Suzy is badly burned."

"Listen, Aaron, we have got to talk. So, much has happened. Do you think that you are going to be to stay conscious?"