The Fool's Errand

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The men untied her hands and helped her make her uncertain way across the deck and down the stairs. Donovan closed the Captain's mast and ordered the crew to begin cleaning until a wind arose. He pulled one of the belay pins from the rail as he went below.

Lady was standing at the end of the table, unsecured, and holding the metal stylus from one of the weather logs in her hand like a weapon.

"You had no right!" she accused him.

"I'm the Captain," he told her, "I had every right."

She hissed in anger. "I signed no articles. I'm a passenger."

"Whilst you are aboard my ship you are subject to my rules. You swore to obey," he reminded her. He went to a cabinet and tapped it with the belay pin.

"The logbooks and important documents are kept here," he told her.

She looked at him strangely, puzzlement overcoming anger for a moment.

"The ship's funds are kept below in the arms locker. I wear the key for the arms locker, and the ship's chest, on the thong around my neck."

"Why should that matter to me?" she asked.

"Are you secured?" he asked her.

"No," she replied.

"No," he echoed. "My crew has taken a liking to you. They consider you their good fortune. So I can secure you as you should be and get damn all work out of those superstitious louts or I can treat you as crew and they'll be happy. If you're a hired killer or a spy it'll go hard for me, and eventually for them, but we all have to make choices. I need a cheerly crew at the moment. So, if you are of a mind to steal from us or kill me, you know where everything important is. Now, while I am being forced to treat you as crew, I still remember our bargain. So," he tossed the belay pin onto his bunk, "get into my bed and fuck yourself."

She flashed him a look of pure hatred as she understood what he meant, but he turned his back on her and went to the cabinet where the liquor was kept. He filled a snifter glass with brandy and sat in his chair where he could observe her, propping his feet up on another chair.

Lady glared at him, but she flung the stylus down onto the table and stalked over to the bed. Wincing, she lay down on her back and picked up the belay pin. Her eyes fixed upon him, daring him to look away, as she kissed the pin softly. Her coral pink tongue flicked out between red lips to taste the bronze. She gave it an open mouthed kiss next and pulled it away with her tongue following. She lowered the pin between her breasts and let it lay there as she pushed her breasts together, trapping the pin in her cleavage. Her hands kneaded softly at her breasts as her fingers teased the plum-colored nipples.

"Having difficulty raising your mast, Captain?" she whispered maliciously.

She released her breasts and brought the pin down her belly and between her thighs. Slowly she rubbed it through her dark pubic patch and against her sex. She winked at him and used one hand to spread her nether lips while the other inserted the tip of the pin.

"Oh!" she moaned. "I've never felt anything so big," she informed him.

She rolled over onto her stomach and lifted her hips into the air. Her hands held the pin erect and she slowly lowered her body onto it. Teasingly she lifted her hips up and then lowered them, slowly riding the pin.

Donovan watched her intently throughout. He was impressed with her anger, with her courage in the face of a tormenter, and he saw in her a survivor; someone who would persevere until she triumphed or died. There was no breaking this woman, and that excited him at least as much as her flesh did. He saw beyond the sweating woman moaning and writhing in front of him to the spirit that drove her and knew that he should pray she was a hired killer.

She finished theatrically loudly, screaming pleasure loud enough to be heard a mile distant, and rolled over onto her back. She plucked the belay pin from within her body and lightly cast it in his direction.

"Well. *I'm* satisfied, Captain," she breathed.

Their eyes met, neither willing to yield, and so they simply stared, each testing the other. A half-choked squeak drew both of their attentions to Mrs. Pemberton who was looking at them in unmitigated horror. Despite himself, Donovan smiled and chuckled. In his bed he heard a giggle from Lady.

"The show is simply part of the service, Mrs. Pemberton," he said. He stood and tossed back the remaining brandy. "I regret there is no lunch today and dinner will be informal."

He nudged the belay pin with the toe of his shoe. "Clean this up," he told Lady, "and report to Giuseppe. You will assist him with his duties. Have suitable clothing for shipboard by First Watch tomorrow. If you have aught in the way of sexual relations with any of my crew I'll beat you 'til you bleed and throw you over for the fish. My oath on that."

He turned and exited the cabin.

The Fool's Errand hove to in the harbor that gave Good Harbor its name with the Loyola and Pretty Nancy following closely. A harbor boat rowed out to meet them when they were tied up to a buoy. A Lieutenant climbed aboard and saluted Donovan.

"Welcome home, Captain Simms. A fortunate voyage, it seems," he said.

"So it seems," Donovan said. "Our roster and log. When do you anticipate having prize crews aboard?"

"In an hour, Captain. The Harbormaster is making the arrangements. Have you any military prisoners?"

"One, a Lieutenant Anderson of the Cook's Land Dragoons," Donovan replied. "Bosun, bring Lieutenant Anderson up."

"Bring t'e prisoner up aye, Captain," the Bosun replied and nudged a sailor. Together they went below.

"Will you be granting liberty to your crew, Captain?"

"No. I sail again in three days. We will re-provision and see to the disposal of our prizes."

"I only wish more of our captains were as zealous as you, Captain."

Donovan made no reply to this flattery and instead turned his head to see Lieutenant Anderson brought up. The Lieutenant had been an abusive prisoner so he was unsurprised to see the crewmen had not allowed him a few moments to straighten up. He was disheveled, dirty, and fuming.

"Time for us to part ways, Lieutenant," he informed the man cheerfully. "I hope you will find your accommodations ashore more congenial than you found our accommodations afloat. Do consider surrendering to us in your future naval battles."

The crew roared with laughter that drowned out Anderson's indignant response. He had no opportunity to make another response for he was quickly hustled over the side to a chorus of cat-calls and jeers.

"If there is no other business Captain?" the Lieutenant inquired.

"None," Donovan confirmed. "Thank you Lieutenant. My compliments to the Harbormaster."

They exchanged salutes and the Lieutenant climbed back into his boat.

"Lieutenant Liu, set a harbor watch and put my ship in order. Mister Tran, make the longboat ready for me to go ashore. I'll want Gupta, Simpkins, and Lady to accompany me."

His orders were acknowledged as he walked down the steps to his cabin. Inside, he began changing into his formal business clothes. He heard the door open and shut behind him.

"Even the Surgeon has the courtesy to knock before entering," he commented.

"But the Surgeon doesn't dance upon your cock," she countered. "I'm different."

She walked up behind him and ran her hands up his naked torso. She pressed her lips to his neck and then to his ear.

"Why am I going ashore?"

He paused in his dressing to enjoy the feel of her body against him, even through the baggy hemp shirt and pants she wore.

"Because I am not granting liberty to the men. You'll engage five whores to come aboard ship for two days. Get two more for the officers," he told her.

"Ah. I assume I should make every effort to avoid poxy sluts?"

He reached back and pulled her in front of him by the simple expedient of grabbing her hair. He bent her head back to bare her lovely throat to his mouth and kissed her flesh softly. His free hand he thrust down the front of her pants and roughly inserted a finger inside her. She grimaced briefly and then began to pump her hips to slowly rub her mons against the palm of his hand.

She fumbled at his pants until she found the drawstring and loosed them. Her hands sought out his member and began to stroke it softly. He bit her once upon the neck, causing her to yelp, and then pushed her away from him, towards his bed. She smiled wickedly at him and dropped her own pants to the floor. Turning, she bent over the bed and spread her legs. Lady looked back at him, still grinning, and slowly waggled her ass.

He stepped up and inserted his cock into her, pushing in to his full length. He inhaled involuntarily at the now familiar feel of her most intimate body part. She moaned for him, the clever minx. She knew Donovan enjoyed hearing her and she apparently didn't care if anyone else heard them. He stroked into her heat slowly, savoring the feel, sound, sight, and smell of her. After several minutes he stopped, halfway into her, and reached down to tickle her pearl. She gasped and tried to push back against him, but his free hand held her still, semi-impaled upon him.

"No," she gasped.

"But yes," he replied as his hand continued to work, carefully working the hood of her clitoris back and forth along her.

"Damnit," she moaned as her body shuddered.

He worked her through the orgasm and built her up to another before he finally pushed all the way into her. She came again in a series of high pitched squealing 'oooh's' that brought a contented smile to his face.

"You're a bastard," she accused as she pushed back against him, grinding her ass against his belly.

"I believe we've established this," he gasped as her hands found his balls and began to massage. His body tensed and jerked as he came into her.

They moved slowly against each other for a few more minutes as he savored the feel of her body in the afterglow of the moment.

"Must you always win?" she asked.

"Yes," he replied as he withdrew from her, "I must. Put your dress on for going ashore. It's more seemly."

She giggled at that comment and rose to pull her only dress out of the closet.

The crew carefully loaded her, attired in her dress, into the longboat.

"Bring us some pretty whores, Lady, with big tits like yourn," one of the men told her. There was a rumble of agreement.

"And a tight ass for Chickendick," another called out. The comment drew laughs from everyone, including the butt of the joke, Simpkins.

When everything was loaded, Donovan climbed in and took the tiller.

"Lower away," Lieutenant Liu called and the boat was slowly lowered to the water and was soon enroute.

They reached the wharf in ten minutes and disembarked.

"Simpkins and Gupta, you'll go with Lady. The rest to remain here with the boat. Be back no later than the start of the Evening Watch and if you get back sooner go aboard and send the boat back."

"Aye, Captain," Simpkins, and the others, replied.

Donovan walked off down the wharf to one of the harbor gates and out into the teeming streets of Good Harbor. The island was what remained of an ancient volcano and once he left the immediate area of the harbor the landscape began to rapidly ascend. He made his way slowly through the mass of humanity that packed the narrow streets and up the terraced levels of the town until he reached a non-descript gate. He pounded on the gate until a viewing slot was opened.

"Captain Simms to see Councilor Chan," he announced.

The gate was drawn aside and Donovan stepped into a small garden that was as tranquil as the street outside was chaotic. The gate was drawn closed behind him and a small man from Wu stepped forward and bowed to him. Donovan returned the bow and began to divest himself of his weapons. This took less time than it would seem, for all of Donovan's weapons were easily accessed. The man bowed again when Donovan was finished and inclined his head towards the main entrance to the house.

Donovan stopped on the broad porch and sat on a bench to remove his boots and replace them with silk slippers. He then proceeded into the house and was intercepted by a young woman wearing a see-through silk gown.

"Captain Simms, my master bids you welcome to his home and hopes you will join him in his study," she said.

Donovan nodded and she led him through the house. He knew the way, but this was the custom in Councilor Chan's house. The young woman slid a thin wooden door open and Donovan stepped into a room that was at odds with the rooms he had passed through. Where the other rooms in the house were decorated in the traditional styles of Wu, this room was a combination of many cultures. The desk, chairs, and hanging maps were decidedly European in design, but obviously constructed by Oriental craftsman and decorated in their style.

Donovan approached the desk and the plump Oriental behind it looked up and smiled.

"Donovan, how very good to see you! I am told your voyage was fruitful. Two prizes brought into harbor. That will bring a nice penny."

"Thank you, Councilor. It's good to be back, even if only briefly," Donovan replied.

"You're returning to sea soon? What information would lead you to do this?" the Councilor asked curiously.

"That's what I wish to talk to you about, Councilor. My agent in Williamport had some useful information. He told me about an Albian convoy making the voyage to Cook's Land. He gave me a great many details, including the location at which the convoy is supposed to rendezvous with a Cook's Land squadron. Too many details, I thought."

"You suspect a trap," the man said.

"Always, Councilor, but that's not the source of my concern. The rendezvous is a well chosen place, with dozens of avenues of escape. No, I believe someone is acting to ensure that this convoy is attacked. I wouldn't be surprised if every privateer and pirate along the route has been alerted. So what I wonder is, why?"

The Councilor leaned back in his chair and considered this for several minutes as Donovan stood patiently by.

"Even knowing this you intend to intercept the convoy?" he asked.

Donovan nodded.

"Then I suppose we will discover exactly what is important about this convoy in good time. I will speak to some people about this and see if I can discover anything before you leave. Please, sit," the man offered.

Donovan took his seat in one of the chairs facing the desk.

"You met my new concubine?" the Councilor asked.

Donovan smiled. "The redhead who brought me to you? Yes, very lovely."

"Hibernian. I told my agents to be on the lookout for one and they found this one at auction at a ransom broker's house. Citizen Nickelson."

"I've heard of him, but I don't deal with him. High risk ransoms and quick liquidations to slavery, I hear."

The man nodded. "Yes. She was kidnapped from Assam Colony and you know what bigots they can be. I was given to understand you have a concubine of your own now. Very unlike you."

"Christ's Blood!" Donovan swore. "Has the story beaten me here? I thought I might be able to conduct my business in peace and be back aboard before it became known."

The Councilor laughed lightly. "You do well in the version I heard. A hard bargain with a clever woman, but honorably kept and you enslave her with your sword at the end. How much truth is there to the tale?"

"Truth enough. I was set upon in Williamport and she assisted me in eluding the attentions of the watch. I'm bound to keep her aboard ship until she names a port and I deliver her there. Enslaving her with my sword?" He chuckled. "I wouldn't say that, but I hold her to the terms of our bargain."

"I think if she has not named a port already she is unlikely to ever name one," Chan told him. "You're a handsome man, for a European, and a successful Captain of your own vessel, and if you are making her moan in bed then there is nothing more she might reasonably desire. I think you have a concubine in all but name. Very interesting that your bargain makes you her master while binding you to her will. This story will be very popular, I think."

Donovan laughed because, after all, what else was there to do?

He spent most of the afternoon drinking with Chan and then took his leave. He left word at the business office of Citizen Kepler, Ransom Broker, that he had prisoners to sell and then made his way down to the harbor. The boat sat at a new location with Simpkins and Gupta standing by it watchfully.

"The others?" he asked.

"All aboard, Captain," Simpkins replied. "Lady sent the whores aboard with the first load and we went to purchase some supplies and took her back in a second load."

"What supplies?" Donovan asked.

"Giuseppe had a list for her, Captain."

"And money? What did she do for money? I only gave her enough to hire the whores."

"Begging your pardon, Captain, but Lady asked us where the whores was and we took her to the Street of Red Lanterns. She pulled a couple aside and told 'em she was hiring whores for a party on ship. Two days, she said, and the Captain keeps 'em well in hand and makes 'em bathe regular and a real doctor will check 'em for pox afore they get to do any shagging. And those whores were like to riot, Captain. She lined 'em up in the street and picked 'em like they was pullets at the market, made 'em show 'er their mouths and cunnies. They paid for the privilege too, Captain. Every one of them tossed a few coins at her to be considered and the winners give her some more." Simpkins looked a bit apprehensive.

"Good whores, Simpkins?" Donovan asked pensively.

"Oh yes, Captain. Nice ones. Some of 'em I reckon ain't exactly professionals. The pimps were some mad but Lady wouldn't give 'em the time of day. Talked right to the bints and told 'em they could square with their pimps when the job was done. One o' the pimps took it into his mind to slap her down, but Gupta showed him you don't go broadsides with a Fool and the others quieted down."

"Did he survive?"

"Who, sir?"

"The pimp," Donovan said.

"Bless you, Captain, no. Have you ever known a man to walk away from Gupta? No, he bled out quick and Lady tells the whores to clean up the mess and talks to the guard and then we come back here," Simpkins said.

Donovan considered this and decided that he wasn't in full possession of the facts. Coming to any sort of conclusion was, therefore, unwarranted. He stepped down into the longboat and took the tiller.

"Pull for the Errand, please," he said.

Aboard the Fool's Errand the party had already begun. There were two men standing watch on the poop deck, but the remainder of the crew were occupied with the women in the focsle. Donovan left those men, and Simpkins and Gupta, to bring the longboat up and went below. The hallway between the officer's cabins, generally only used at mealtimes, was the scene of a game of cards in which the Surgeon, Lieutenant, Midshipman, and the Master Gunner were occupied. The Surgeon had one woman on his lap and the Master Gunner another. Both women were only semi-clothed and were dumped unceremoniously to the ground as the men became aware of his presence.

"Carry on, gentlemen," he told them and went down the stairs to his own cabin. There he found Lady waiting for him. She was clad in the same sort of see-through silk that Chan's concubine had worn. But where Chan's concubine had worn it in a long flowing gown, Lady had wrapped strips of it around her body. The gown had hinted, strongly, but Lady's arrangement emphasized her nudity. He cast a long look at her and noticed that her crotch was bare. She saw his gaze and smiled thinly.

"I have access to a razor now," she explained.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I'm not being chained up whenever you aren't around," she said patiently.

He frowned, irritated with her intentional misunderstanding.