The Gamble

Story Info
Julie gambles and...
9.1k words
4.53
168.5k
181
134
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vandemonium1
Vandemonium1
3,101 Followers

At the time I submitted this it had been a relatively poor week on LE for us non cum guzzling males, so I thought I would post two on one day. Besides I'm still writing two a week and they're starting to bank up.

There is no sex in this story, just a guy teaching his wife about respect. A little unrealistic perhaps but an unusual motivation I hope.

Thanks to XTCH, wherever you are, for the review. I'd also like to publically thank my wife for the inspiration for this and most of my woman-behaving-irrationally stories. I'm so grateful, I may even tell you one day. Just let me finish using my balls first.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My wife and I married relatively late in life. I was 29 and she was 32. That was six years ago. We'd both lived life to the full until we met and so were basically broke. Premarital discussions included both our desires to have children and to have Julie as a stay at home mum until the youngest child started school. We both agreed that having a full time parent was essential to a child's wellbeing for people that could afford it.

That meant we had until we started a family to build up a nest egg to keep us through the lean years. That translated as Julie holding down a full time job and me doing the same with as much overtime as I could eat. I settled into the routine of doing a double shift on Fridays, going into work late Saturday and doing another 12 hours. It was paying off as well. We now owned the house outright and the bank balance was climbing steadily. Recent discussions led me to believe that children were on the cards very soon. Certainly before Julie reached the big 40 and the odds of conceiving a first child plummeted.

That's why the conversation we were having this Thursday night was so bizarre.

"Dave, I want to discuss a trial separation."

How do you spell incredulous? I was shocked to the point of brain freeze. All I could think to say was.

"WHAT?"

Those of you that have ever been dumped by a boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, will know the feeling. The person doing the dropping has it all planned out and is totally prepared. The person being dropped is unprepared and confused. That was me right now. My next statement was thus an equally intellectually stimulating.

"Why?"

"I just think we need a bit of a break from each other. Allow us to appreciate each other like we used to. You have to admit Dave, you aren't as romantic as you used to be and don't appear to appreciate me as much as you used to. You always say you're too tired to go out more than once a month. You don't make love to me four times a week like you used to and quite frankly you're putting on a bit of weight. Surely you'll agree that a bit of a break will do us the world of good."

If I'd been in a more rational frame of mind, I may have noted that in one monologue she'd changed from using 'us' at the start, to 'me' at the end. As it was, it went right over my addled head.

"How about we say a month Dave. Then see how we are going. I'll be staying at Freda's. Feel free to ring me whenever you like, but I don't think we should see each other more than once a week. More than that and it won't be much of a separation will it? Just be assured Dave, that I love you very much and know we will make beautiful babies together. I'm sure that after a month, two at the most we'll be back where we used to be."

With that Julie got up, retrieved two suitcases from the back hall and marched towards the front door.

"Don't I get any say in this at all Julie," I stuttered.

"My mind is made up Dave."

"Please sit down Julie."

She reluctantly returned.

"Who is he Julie?"

"God, I knew you would think that. I just told you, I love you Dave, only you. There is no one else. So there's no need to bug my phones, follow me, put a GPS tracker in my car or hire a PI. In fact, if you do any of those things, I may interpret that as you not trusting me and have to review our relationship."

She made to get up again but I grabbed her arm and pulled her back down.

"This is unfair Julie. You've had days or weeks to plan your little speech and your little gamble, but it's all new to me."

"What gamble Dave?"

I was glad that her face was finally showing some of the confusion I felt.

"Surely you can see that you have just put our relationship at risk Julie, with this unilateral little stunt of yours. It reeks of contempt. I've always treated you as an equal partner in our relationship and would never dream of doing something this risky without at least asking your opinion."

"What risk Dave? I love you. You love me. Where's the harm? It's only for a month or so. If I miss you before then, I'll be back like a shot. What do you mean by contempt?"

"What I mean is that you haven't given me a chance to defend myself. For example, we hardly go out together because I work so much overtime on Fridays and Saturdays. We agreed on the overtime to improve our financial position. We don't make love as often as we used to, partly because we have been married for six years and partly because I'm always so buggered. I've put on weight because you suggested I take the supervisors position for the extra cash and it isn't as active as being on the tools. That's just what I have thought of in the last two minutes so please can you stay so we can discuss it further?"

"I'm sorry Dave, I promised Freda that I would go out with her tonight."

With that she got up, picked up her bags and walked towards the door. All I could think to say was, "Just remember that you are married Julie."

With only a slight pause, she continued out the door.

I got bugger all sleep that night and consequently was in no fit state to do a 16 hour shift the next day but it was too late to change it. The afternoon shift supervisor had already made plans after I'd promised to relieve him again. In my job you can't let your guard down too often. Consequently, I was standing in the wrong spot at 10PM Friday, when a 35T loader came round the corner and almost cleaned me up. I threw my self aside at the last moment and felt the hot breath of the exhaust in my face from my position on the ground. Adrenalin got me through the rest of the shift. It didn't help that I was hungry. Thursday was Julie's weekly shopping day. She'd skipped it to concentrate on her packing.

I was back on the job 10AM the next day with sandwiches made from week old bread.

I stopped at a 24 hour corner store the next night for some supplies. When I arrived at home after 11.30PM, the message light on the phone was blinking. It was Julie saying she missed me and thanking me for giving her some space by not ringing her. She said not to as she would be out till late that night. I was starting to get very resentful that I was working my ass off to put three times as much in the bank as her, while she was living the high life. Funny, I'd never resented that before.

Neither of us rang each other Sunday. Monday I went to see the boss and said I regretted that I wouldn't be able to do any overtime for a while. When he pressed me I admitted to the close shave I'd had on Friday night. He was shocked and quickly agreed with me.

When I hadn't contacted Julie by Wednesday, she rang me. I don't know why, as she didn't appear to have much to say. I felt a bit guilty about giving her the cold shoulder, so Thursday after dinner I headed over to Freda's house. As a peace offering I took a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates. Freda was Julie's best friend. She'd been divorced for just over a year. I never knew exactly why, but I suspect it was because she may have cheated on her husband. She explained that Julie was in the shower.

I waited on the couch and Freda sat beside me. She got much closer than I was comfortable with. I shuffled away subtly but she followed. Thank god Julie came down at this point. I gave her the flowers and chocolates. Our conversation was a bit stilted. Not anything like the easy communication we'd always shared. After some small talk she asked, "Was there something you wanted Dave?"

I was a bit taken aback by that, I must say.

"No, I just dropped in to ask my wife out on a date tomorrow night."

"I'm sorry, Freda and I already have something planned. Hang on, tomorrow is Friday. You work Friday nights"

"Not any more I don't Julie, I chucked that in."

"But what about the money?"

"Well, I've decided to prioritise my marital and physical health. Now that I have to do all my own shopping, cleaning and cooking, I'm even more tired than ever. When I got your message at 11.30 last Saturday night, the one where you told me you were going out, I decided I was being a complete mug by working myself to death like that. Last Friday I was so tired I was almost killed at work."

Julie looked shocked at that. She came over and hugged me.

"Don't get hurt darling, I'll need your little sperms in a few months' time." At that point Freda came back in and spoiled the mood.

"Sorry for kicking you out Dave but the girls will be here shortly for a Tupperware party."

I bolted. There are some things a man was never meant to see. Julie saw me out. I had to ask.

"Please come home Julie, I miss you."

"Another three weeks Dave, then we'll talk about it."

I noticed she looked very uncomfortable when she said this, like she hated saying no. Any resurgent good feelings I may have had though, vanished as she added. "Why don't you take a month break from overtime, get your strength back. We'll need that money Dave."

I just looked at the flowers and chocolates, still lying where she'd casually tossed them, and left.

She rang twice in the next week. Both times she seemed very upset that I hadn't rung her. I explained that working full time, cooking for myself and going to the gym didn't leave much time. I think that went a little over her head.

My weekly visit was on the Tuesday night the following week. Again Julie was showering. I didn't make the same mistake as last time and sit on the couch. Freda was dressed up and stood very close as she spoke. It really made me feel uncomfortable. Julie came downstairs, also dressed up. She looked a little uncomfortable as she explained that I really should have rung. If I had, then I would have known they were going out. I felt more than a little humiliated, as I was bundled out. I could have sworn I heard giggles from the other side of the door. I vowed that was the last time I would debase myself. Neither of us rang for the rest of the week.

That Sunday, I was working out in the back yard. I'd cobbled together some homemade weight equipment and already felt myself approaching my previous strength. Suddenly I felt arms encircling me from behind and a body pressing into my sweaty back. I enjoyed my first human bodily contact in over two weeks. Suddenly I froze as Freda's voice sounded right next to my ear. "Sorry gorgeous, I just couldn't resist this." Shocked, I span around, disengaging at the same time. More to cover my discomfiture than to be friendly, I asked her if she wanted coffee. I noticed Freda was dressed in one of her usual slutty outfits. I have to admit though, it did show off her rather impressive cleavage to its full advantage. Inside I made sure to sit at the end of the kitchen table. It didn't work. Freda dragged a chair right next to mine, so close our legs were touching. We made small talk, never my strong point.

"Aren't you going to ask how Julie is going?"

"No. She made it quite plain that it was no business of mine."

Freda smiled.

"She's a bit upset you know. She was hoping you would be begging and groveling by now."

"Sorry Freda, not my style. I asked her out on a date that first time I came to your place. She turned me down, saying she'd already made plans. I notice she never rang and asked to reschedule. I have no idea what this separation is all about so I'm just going to sit and wait it out to see if she comes back or our marriage ends."

I knew everything I said would be repeated to Julie. I expected Freda to look worried at my last statement, but she just smiled and put her hand on my leg. This had to be some kind of test. One that I knew I would pass, as I didn't find Freda the slightest bit emotionally attractive. That body though was a different matter. I noted that another button of her top had magically undone itself.

"You know I've always admired you and Julie as a couple, don't you? You must be really secure in your love to let her date other guys or are you just pretending you're not worried?"

My blood ran cold. We hadn't talked about dating during this unilateral separation but my statement of, "Don't forget you're married," should have been self-explanatory.

Without a word I left the house and jumped into my car. Arriving at Freda's house, I barged straight in. Out the kitchen window I could see a bikini clad Julie sunning herself on the deck. With determination I strode out.

"Julie, what is this shit Freda tells me about you dating?"

"I haven't been dating Dave. We did meet a couple of guys last Tuesday at a club and danced a bit. We may have mentioned that we might be there again last night and met them again, but that's hardly a date."

I would have expected Julie to look worried while she defended herself like this, but she didn't. If I had to pick a word to describe how she did look, it would be determined.

"Oh, and what happened last night wife dear?"

"Nothing. Just more dancing. Nothing inappropriate. We haven't kissed or anything like that. They just bought us some drinks and we danced a bit."

"Nothing inappropriate. Since when has it been appropriate for a married woman to dance with other men when her husband isn't even there? I suppose at the end of the evening you just happened to mention to them when you would be there next." No response.

"Well if you meet them again, it will definitely be a date and just as definitely be very inappropriate. Look Julie, all this is really hurting me you know? I still have no idea what this separation is all about. Can we skip the next two weeks and just have you come home right now? I really miss you."

"No Dave, not yet. In fact, I think we'll go past the month. I haven't regained my old feelings for you yet."

Again she looked oddly uncomfortable. Like she was saying something she didn't really want to. Of all her irrational acts of late, this was the one that was confusing me the most. I just stared at her for a moment longer, then got up to leave.

"You could ask me out on another date you know? You may get lucky this time."

Without pausing or looking back I threw out, "Or you could ask me out. You know where I live."

From Monday onwards Julie began ringing the home phone every night. The conversations were always brief and uncomfortable. I started to get the impression that she was just checking I was at home. I really didn't like the implications of that.

On Friday night she rang at 7PM. The home phone diversion to my mobile, I'd programed, worked like a charm. I could clearly hear music in the background. I was almost at Freda's house where I confirmed Julie's car was missing. I trawled the night club strip, 10 minutes from Freda's, until I saw Julie's car in the carpark of one of the bars. It was tucked away in the back corner.

I peered through the window of the bar until I saw Julie and Freda sitting alone in a booth. As I watched two more girls joined them. One I vaguely recognised as another friend of Julie's, Debra, the other was a stranger. I watched Debra introduce the newcomer to Julie and Freda. While they were thus distracted I snuck in the back corner and hid at the far end of the bar. 10 minutes later I caught a lucky break. The booths ran in a double row with a wall dividing them, effectively splitting the bar in two. I noticed the couple in the booth adjacent to the girls leave. Making sure they weren't looking my way, I sat down in the vacant booth. By stooping slightly, I would be totally unseen until one of them stood up. I covered that by sitting with my back to them. With effort I could catch most of what was said. Debra was talking.

"You're mad Julie. From what you've described, your Dave is much more romantic than my husband."

Another voice cut in, presumably belonging to the stranger.

"Yeah, me too. I would have killed for half of the things you say you get, from my ex."

Freda cut in.

"Don't you think Julie deserves better, I mean look at her, and she's beautiful."

Debra cut in again. "I dunno guys, it sounds like a very dangerous game to me. How do you treat him Julie? Do you spoil him rotten? It sounds like with working so much overtime the guy must be wasted most of the time. Do you keep him in bed all Sunday and screw his ass off? Fuck, if he was mine I would."

Now Julie has a very soft voice so I didn't hear a word of her reply that went on for several minutes.

All I heard when Julie finished and Debra re-started was, "Is that all. And you're making this guy fight for you."

At that point, someone started the jukebox. I used the opportunity to evacuate my bladder. When I got out, my booth had been stolen. The bar was filling rapidly. I felt safe returning to my corner of the bar. I wondered how long it would be before the guys turned up. Over the next hour, I watched numerous guys approach the girls, trying their luck. They all left disappointed.

Then I watched the strange girl heading for the bar. She walked its length looking for an opening. As she approached my corner I made a big deal of making room for her. She smiled at me, then ordered four drinks. Up close she was quite an attractive lady. Short, brown curly hair and an easy smile. As she waited for her drinks, she turned to me.

"So, do you come here often?"

"Hey, that's my line."

"Well you were too slow."

We chatted easily until her drinks arrived. I didn't miss her searching glance at my wedding ring finger. Because of my job, I hardly ever wear my ring. When her drinks did arrive she surprised me.

"Look, the conversation at my table is bloody awful. Do you mind if I use you as an excuse to bunk out?"

"What. Do I mind if a beautiful girl talks to me? What do you reckon? I should warn you though. I am married but my marriage is in extreme difficulty. That's why I'm here."

"Wow. Well thank you for your honesty. I'm just looking for companionship, so if it's still okay I would still like to chat."

She smiled at my mischievous grin and was back two minutes later. We chatted very easily for the next hour and a half. I kept glancing over to make sure we weren't observed. I noticed that a man had taken the vacant seat at the girls table and was buying all the drinks. Sarah was a delightful girl and we were very comfortable together.

At 11.30, Debra came over. I didn't see her until it was too late to hide. She had a vaguely puzzled look on her face. I knew the feeling. She knew she'd seen me before but didn't remember where. I smiled as Sarah introduced us. She whispered in Sarah's ear what I was almost sure was, "You're right, he is cute."

"Julie has offered us a lift home. Do you want a ride? I could see the indecision on Sarah's face, so I helped her out.

"I've really got to get going anyway. Lovely to talk to you Sarah." I kissed her on the cheek. She blushed and left. Half way to the door she returned and gave me a business card. Without a word, but with another smile, she left. I watched all three girls walk out, leaving Freda and the guy at the table. I decided to give them a five minute head start out the carpark.

Two minutes later my phone rang. The caller ID showed it was Julie ringing through the diverted home phone. After greetings, she asked why there was music in the background.

Vandemonium1
Vandemonium1
3,101 Followers