The Gift of Magic Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh yes. Well the other evening I downloaded some pictures of demons and devils. And when we were having dinner, with mum and Mr Nees who is still sliming around, I left the phone on the table where mum could see it. Then I pretended I had been caught short and rushed to the toilet, and when I came back mum was examining the image and having a flaming row with Mr Nees.

"So mum said. 'That does it. I'm confiscating this phone,' and Mr Nees was protesting, and I thought that I had succeeded in getting rid of the phone and then I remembered you'd told me that I need to give it to Mr Nees not mum, and he has to take it, so I snatched it from mum and yelled 'that's mine, I want it,' then rushed up to my bedroom and slammed the door.

"It meant I had to go without dinner, though mum made me a sandwich later because I was hungry, but it was worth it to hear mum and Mr Nees arguing and then mum told me Mr Nees had driven off in a huff," Lucy explained.

"It sounds to me as if you're on the right track, and you're part of the way there," said Jade. "Are there any sites you could choose that perhaps Mr Nees would be less comfortable with? Now I don't know much about this type of thing, but are you telling me that if you chant any subject as an incantation into the machine, it will find out everything about it."

"Sort of, but you have to type it in or speak it really clearly, not chant it. I typed in my dad's name; Emil Andersson, and I got loads of information about his part in winning the war. There were photos of him with a lot of other people. I even found a picture of Mr Neilson with my dad. I never knew they were friends."

"That's interesting," said Jade. "I wonder what you would find out if you typed in 'Hans Nees'. Maybe that's something you could try. Get your friend Nils to help you."

"I'll do that when I get back." At Jade's request, Lucy had not brought her phone with her. She had instead hidden it in her room in her cupboard at the back of her underwear. Lucy knew that her mother could easily find it if she searched her room. But she also knew her mother wouldn't do so. Sophie would consider clandestine searches to be beneath her dignity, and behaviour she would not want to encourage in her daughter.

"Jade," said Lucy, in a small voice.

Jade looked at Lucy and she continued. "I'm frightened by that Spider creature."

Jade laughed. "You are very sensible to be frightened, Lucy. She was quite terrible at the peak of her power. But now she's considerably weakened and there is very little she can do. There are still some places around here where her influence extends, but if you avoid them you will have nothing to fear from her. She cannot harm you if you don't let her."

"What are these places?" asked Lucy.

"Remember I told you that this particular place still has remnants of powerful magic because it was the site of an elven grove?" said Jade. Lucy nodded.

"Well there are also five places in the wood that were the entrance ways of the old drow complex. High Priestess Elspeth abandoned that place soon after Xiana was defeated and built the new grey elf city of Elspethsaad in richer land closer to the surface. The abandoned entrances still have residue of the curse that the Spider put on the land, which is why the trees don't grow so well there, and most of the forest animals avoid these patches."

"We learned about those in geography," said Lucy. "Mr Neilson told us that the reason why these places are less fertile must have something to do with the subsoil. He said that they may have been toxic waste dumps in an earlier period."

"If there were waste dumps there then that would be a result of the curse, not a cause of it. Those patches of less fertile land have been there a long time before toxic waste was invented. There may be some malevolent influence still at work, which is why I advise you not to visit these places. As a magician, you would be particularly sensitive to these."

"Kind of like haunted houses in the ghost stories that only certain people can feel?" asked Lucy.

"I see you understand what I mean. But there is one more thing I need to tell you. Your priest is right about devil worship being forbidden, but it is forbidden for a reason. It would be best if you stayed away from sites dealing with the Spider or any similar unsavoury beings. They cannot harm you except by making you frightened, but that in itself can be very harmful indeed.

"But come, let's do something more cheerful. Let's have supper and then we can practice our magic." Lucy liked the way the old witch said 'we', even though her own abilities did not need practising.

So after supper, the two practised magic. Jade would think of something or someone, and Lucy had to guess what. At first her guesses were very wayward, but then they started to become more accurate with Jade's tuition. "Concentrate your whole mind on me, Lucy. Empty your thoughts of everything else."

After a couple of hours, when Jade had been thinking of icing sugar, and Lucy had guessed icicles, Jade decided she had progressed well enough for them to pack it in for the night, and Lucy went to bed in the little room. She noticed that this time Jade had removed the chamber pot from under the chair.

#

Sophie had arranged to pick Lucy up in the morning and then the two would walk to school together. But when her mother did not arrive, Lucy was so worried that she did something she had never done before. She skipped school and went straight home. As she walked into her home she heard sobbing from upstairs. Her mother was still in bed, crying as though her world was ending.

Lucy paused in the doorway. It was a mother's job to comfort her when she was crying. She didn't know how to cope with this novel situation. Lucy thought about Jade; what would she do? Somehow the thought came into her head, "do for your mother what she would do for you." Lucy went into her mother's room, crawled into bed beside her and put her arms around her.

"What's the matter, mum?" she said. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Sophie smiled through her tears. "Oh, Lucy," she said. "You sound so grown up. I've finished with Pete... Mr Neilson. I never want to see him again. He lied to me."

Lucy felt cold all over at hearing this news. Did this mean creepy Mr Nees had won? Nevertheless, she reminded herself that this was not about her but her mother, and she made an effort to speak calmly and with authority.

"Mr Neilson doesn't tell lies," she said. "Why do you think he's been lying to you?"

"He always told me that he really respected your father, and the brave thing he did to help us win the war against those terrible fascists," sobbed Sophie. "He said that even though he's against war himself he respects those who are prepared to risk their life for their beliefs. And then today I hear that he always despised your father and kept telling everyone that he's an idiot who threw his life away for nothing."

"That's not true," said Lucy.

"How do you know?" sniffed Sophie.

"I just do." She did, too. All part of being an enchantress, Lucy realised now. "Why do you think it's true?" she said.

"We went out to the theatre in town. There was a fine play on all about a doll's house. Peter was very knowledgeable and during the break he kept telling me all about the background to the play. He certainly knows a lot more than Mr Nees about culture. Then we went to this posh restaurant, and we had ordered wine and were just settling down to our meal when this rather ugly man with a stoop came up and sat down beside Peter.

"I didn't like the look of him one bit. He looked rather like a derfen - not that I'm racist of course, but they seem very bitter towards the rest of us - then he spoke to Peter. 'Didn't think I would see you dating this girl after what you said about her ex-husband.' Peter got all indignant at this stage and told him to go away but then I asked him what he had been saying about your dad. The derfen then said, 'he thought your ex was a total idiot to get himself tied up in suicide missions. Called him a senseless puppet of the capitalist regime. I know Peter from the Eco Party, don't I Pete.'

"I looked at Peter in some consternation. I have never totally agreed with Peter's politics, but I always thought the Eco Party members were decent folk who really want a better world, not seedy, bitter men like this derfen. I was totally horrified when Peter stared straight at this horrid little man and nodded. Then he said 'you told us that Emil Andersson was a complete ...' well I won't tell you the word he used, but it was a very rude one. Then he said 'isn't that right, Pete.' And Peter... he nodded again. He's been lying to me all the time." Sophie burst into tears again.

"That's ridiculous," said Lucy. "Mr Neilson has always been very polite about daddy at school. And he has always been truthful to us. When he makes a mistake in class he always admits it, even if it would embarrass him, unlike some of the other teachers I could mention. Who are you going to believe? Mr Neilson, who's your friend, or some creepy guy you never met before. You keep telling me not to talk to strangers. So why do you listen to them?"

"So why did Mr Neilson keep agreeing? He just sat there like a zombie, staring at this stranger and nodding. When he did that I rushed out of the restaurant and took the first bus home."

Lucy tried to make herself sound as grown up as possible and said to her mother in what she hoped was a stern sounding voice. "Has it occurred to you that he has been enchanted?"

The reaction was not what she wanted. Sophie burst out laughing, in spite of her tears. "No Lucy, to be honest that never occurred to me at all. Where do you get your strange ideas?"

Lucy took a reality check. Obviously her mother would not believe in enchantments. Lucy had not believed in them herself until a thousand year old half-elven witch had told her about them. She would have to think of something else. Suddenly she had an idea.

"Wait there, mum," she said, getting out of bed and running to the door. "I'll show you proof that the sweet-carrying stranger is lying. He was probably sent by the wicked Spider."

"What wicked spider?" yelled Sophie, but Lucy was already in her room pulling her phone out of its hiding place. She typed her fathers' name in the search function then ran into her mother's room again.

"Here," she said, thrusting the phone at her mother. "This is a picture of Mr Neilson with dad at the Eco Party convention. They were best friends."

Sophie looked at the photograph then handed back the phone. "That just shows they were friends before your dad went to war. It doesn't prove he wasn't bad mouthing him later." Lucy did notice that Sophie sounded a bit less despondent when she said this. She started typing again. Nils had shown her how to modify searches and use Boolean operators. Soon she had what she was looking for. "Read this!" she said.

Sophie took the phone and started reading aloud.

"Eco Star Times - Obituary - Captain Emil Giles Andersson. By Peter Neilson." she read.

"The Eco Party lost a true hero of the planet, with the tragic death in action of founding member Captain Emil Andersson, who has been a major influence in the growth of the Eco Party. Under his unassuming leadership, the Eco Party grew from a tiny thorn in the flesh into a spear in the vitals of the corporate behemoth.

"Captain Andersson had a strong belief that a truly decent and sustainable society could not flourish under fascism, but that our own government, in spite of its imperfections, could be made to see reason eventually. It was because of this faith in the righteousness of our position that he volunteered as an infantry officer in a war that many of us (myself included) felt to be unwarranted.

"Captain Andersson led by example and it was his courage and dedication to the cause that prompted him to take on the most dangerous missions. Captain Andersson died while undertaking the highly dangerous task of distracting a machine gun emplacement; something he was determined to do himself, sooner than let his men risk their own lives. Captain Andersson's sacrifice enabled our artillery to free themselves from the trap imposed by the enemy, saving hundreds of lives.

"Emil and I had many disagreements over the justification of war, but I can say that if all soldiers were as brave and as forthright as he was, then the world would be a much more peaceful place."

"There, mum," said Lucy "Doesn't that prove that Mr Neilson respects daddy."

"It certainly shows he did. But this is eight years old."

Lucy took the phone back and started searching again. "How about this one?" she said, handing the phone back to her mother.

This time the screen displayed the minutes of the village garden society meeting, dated just five months ago. "Moved Neilson, seconded Oleg - that this society dedicate the pear tree to be planted in the allotment to the memory of Emil Andersson, hero of the country and the planet." Sophie read further and discovered to her disappointment the motion had been defeated, but the secretary of the society, a retired public servant with a tiresome fixation for detail, would never know how much Emil's family and friend owed to his insistence that meetings must always be meticulously minuted.

"I've been rather silly, haven't I," said Sophie, "I wonder if Peter will ever forgive me."

"Of course he will," said Lucy. "You just have to say sorry."

"It's not as simple as that."

"Yes it is. Merrin and I are always having fights. Then we don't talk to each other. And then one of us says sorry, and then we make up, and then we're friends again." As she said this, Lucy remembered her present estrangement from her friend, due to her preoccupation with the phone. She made a mental note to initiate a make-up session at the first opportunity.

Sophie smiled. "You're very sweet, Lucy. I must get up and make breakfast. Then you're going to school. And I think you're right. I'll go and see Peter this evening and say I'm sorry."

Just then, the doorbell rang. "Go and see who that is, Lucy dear will you? "Tell them I'm unavailable."

Lucy went downstairs and answered the door. It was Hans, dressed smartly but casually in a summer jacket with no tie. "Good morning, Lucy," he said. "I thought you would be at school. How are you?"

"I am fine thank you, Mr. Nees, and how are you?" Lucy answered politely as she had been taught.

"I'm well thank you," said Hans.

"That's good. What can I do for you?"

"Is your mother available?" Hans asked.

"My mother is unavailable to visitors," said Lucy.

"Is your mother all right? She hasn't been crying has she?'

Now how would you know that, thought Lucy. "Everything is under control Mr. Nees. My mother is just unavailable to visitors." Lucy stood at the door and stared at Hans until he seemed to get quite uncomfortable.

"Oh, all right," he said. "Listen, tell her I will come back another time, when she is better."

"I will do that, Mr Nees. Goodnight." Lucy closed the door, then skipped up to her room. After an initial set back, everything seemed to be going well. Now for the final plan. Lucy took out her Smartphone and started searching.

Chapter 8: Hans's business

Hans's feelings for Sophie were mixed and he was certainly not happy when the derfen told him what he had done in the restaurant to discredit Peter. It seemed somehow underhand. Peter Neilson had not been fair getting Lucy on his side, and Hans had no compunction about neutralising her uncanny powers. But using a spell to trap Neilson did seem a step too far. He did not dislike Neilson. He even had some respect for the Neilson family's organic philosophy, though he did think their stance was too extreme and idealistic in a society that demanded cheap food for a growing population.

Hans could tell from Lucy's demeanour, and by her extremely adult-like icy politeness, that she was very angry with him indeed. The derfen must have hurt Sophie unbearably, and Hans was sorry she had been put through this ordeal.

On the other hand, Hans needed the money. George had been hinting that he could not hold off his bank asking for their money forever, and Hans's accountant Felix had shook his head and tut-tutted most alarmingly the last time Hans had visited his office. Clearly something drastic had to be done. And after all, Hans reminded himself as he drove to Sophie's house two days later, the derfen had done the deed and it couldn't be undone, so he may as well not let all those tears be shed for nothing.

It was a pity that Lucy had made friends with the woman from the strange house. Hans had a dread of that house and its grounds ever since he was a boy and had seen the shadowy figure of an old woman when he was coming home from one of his after school activities on a winter evening. The night had been cold and clear, the hoar frost on the trees glimmering faintly in the light of the full moon. The old woman had turned his eyes on Hans, and he seemed to see them flash in the dim light. For some reason this terrified Hans, and he had run all the way home. Hans had later realised that the moonlight was far too dim to have reflected the light so strongly. The woman must be a ghost, and the house must be haunted, he thought.

A little later, Hans had fallen in with George's gang. When George and the other children had wanted to explore the place, Hans had still been terrified. He pretended to the other kids that what he was really afraid of was the tenants and their fierce dogs, and during the times when it was empty that he was scared of being caught by the security guards. This made him seem like a coward in the eyes of his companions, who considered that guards and dogs add a little extra spice of excitement to what would otherwise be a rather boring adventure. Hans still preferred they think this than know the truth. If his friends had known that what he was really scared of was ghosts, ghouls, witches and other nameless creatures, he would never have lived down the scorn.

So when on the night of the storm Sophie had asked him to drop her off at the house, he dithered. Then when that Neilson bloke had turned up and offered to see Lucy, Hans had seen his chances slipping away. Just when he had almost persuaded her to send Lucy to summer camp as well. It was desperation that had driven him to see the derfen again, and desperation that had allowed him to agree to this plan. A few days later, as he adjusted his tie and rang the doorbell of Sophie's house, Hans wished he had not done so.

Sophie was friendly and affable, but not romantically inclined, and Hans sensed that his chances with this woman - and her money as he reminded himself - was slipping away. Lucy appeared at her most disarming, a behaviour that Hans instinctively distrusted. His instincts were proved right at the dinner table, when Lucy, the picture of wide eyed innocence, spoke to Hans. "Mr Nees, can I ask you something?"

Oh no, thought Hans. "Yes Lucy, please do," he answered.

"What is chemical trespass?"

"Where did you pick up that term, Lucy dear?" asked Sophie.

"I found it on the internet." Lucy picked up her phone and started reading. "A lawsuit was filed in the High Court between Amis Magnusson (plaintiff) and Hans Nees (defendant) for alleged chemical trespass with compensation sought for concomitant loss of earnings through revocation of organic certification. Chief Justice Dagmar Burger reserved judgement pending mediation."

Hans knew that living with Sophie had made her quite ignorant of lots of things other children could pick up from the internet, but he thought it beyond unlikely that Lucy would struggle with a term like 'chemical trespass' while taking in legal jargon like 'plaintiff' and 'revocation' without a comment. This was some kind of set up.