The Girl in the Red Cloak Ch. 04

Story Info
A rocky start to their quest.
4.7k words
4.67
10.4k
9

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 06/28/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers

"Bimi," whispered Clara into the darkness, gently shaking her former teacher's shoulder. The two had elected to share a room, both to save expense for the innkeeper and to be close to one another so they could visit. Clara had been looking forward to the time with Bimi, but the pull of Lukas and the urge she felt to help play a role in ending the war was too strong. She needed to gather her belongings, but first she had to tell Bimi the truth, and where she was going. Well, the general direction of her plans; the specifics of their destination only Lukas knew.

Bimi rolled over and was alert instantly, a byproduct of years of being awakened abruptly and called to aid a sick or injured person. "Clara? What is it? Are the babes -?"

"They're fine," Clara reassured her quickly. "But I must speak with you on urgent personal matter. I'm sorry to wake you, but I'm leaving."

"Leaving?" Bimi sat up, rubbing sleep from her eyes. "Has another village summoned you?"

"No, it's nothing like that. I..." How could she explain this to Bimi? "Three nights ago, I went into the woods to gather valdir." The whole story came spilling out, though she omitted the details of just how far things had progressed between her and Lukas physically. "I have to go with him. I have to. I feel it in my core, Bimi, and I know I'm meant to help him stop the war," she finished.

Bimi had been silent, listening. "That explains your sudden interest in Maharia."

"Do you think it's wrong for me to go?" Clara was desperate for her tutor's advice.

"No. You have good instincts, Clara, and you should rely on them. If this is what your heart is telling you, you must listen." She placed her hand, palm down, over Clara's chest. "This knows best. It is not for love alone you do this, but for the good of two nations."

Clara blushed. "I don't love him," she said, wondering if it was true.

Bimi gave her a look. "When you're as old as I am, you will recognize the signs of young love. Your mind is not yet willing to admit what your heart already knows."

"I've only just met him!" Clara objected. "I hardly know him at all, I couldn't possibly love him!"

"Sometimes love is wiser than we are, and it does not wait for us to catch up and realize the truth. You will believe what you must, little one, but the truth is evident. I only hope your mission is a success, and your love story does not turn out to be a tragedy." She moved her hands to Clara's shoulders, drawing her into an embrace.

Clara threw her arms around Bimi's waist, burying her face in her teacher's shoulder. If only she could just stay here, where things were simple. A part of her longed to be a little girl again, spending her days learning about herbs and directing her powers, where any hurt could be healed by her favorite tutor. Clara felt safe, here, and she knew it might be a very long time before she had that feeling again. Her and Lukas were undertaking something dangerous, and though she'd dismissed the threat to her because of being a healer, there was still a chance she might be accused of treason and put to death.

Was he really worth dying for? Not him, she silently corrected herself, but the mission. The chance to end the war and save thousands of lives, that was worth it. Even if her death meant only that more people might sit up and take notice, to join the cause, it would still be worth it.

And so is he.

She shook her head, refusing to accept the depth of feelings Bimi credited her with. She was merely infatuated with a good-looking man, the matter of most importance was the cause. She'd been at the front lines, she'd seen the men dying needlessly on both sides. It had to stop, and she had a chance to help make that happen.

"It won't be a tragedy," she reassured her mentor. "If nothing else, our actions will bring more notice to the cause, and encourage others to take up where we leave off."

"I hope you're right," said Bimi, "And if I can help you at all, let me know." She rose from her bed, and went to rummage in the haversack she always carried. She produced a little parcel, which she thrust into Clara's hands. "Here."

Clara unfolded the package, wrapped with a handkerchief, and found a sizable pile of gold coins. She was so astonished they slid out of her hands and into her lap. "Bimi," she said in awe, "Where did you get this?" Though a Healer would never want for food or shelter, they were paid in room and board, or not at all, depending on the family. When a Healer became too old to work they returned to the school, where they were well-cared for until their death; but though they might never be hungry or out in the rain and cold, a Healer was never wealthy either. Occasionally a wealthy family might press a few coins on a Healer out of gratitude, but the stack in front of her now was more than just a few thankful families.

"It's best you don't know," said Bimi with a strange smile. "Just know that I have been saving it for such a time as this."

"I can't possibly take this," said Clara. "This is yours, you could retire in a nice home, with every comfort!"

Bimi took Clara's hands in her own. "Child, I wish with all my heart that I might come with you, so much do I believe in this cause, but I am old and would only slow you down. My thoughts and prayers will go with you, it will do me good to think of this little bundle of coins helping you along the way. What do I need with them? The people will provide for me."

Touched, Clara could only squeeze her hands and swallow the tears that threatened. This was no time for crying, there was still much to be done. "Thank you," she managed at last. "I will honor this gift."

"I know you will," smiled Bimi, and she rose from the bed. "We must gather your things. How is your herb supply? You must be prepared for every danger out on the open road."

"Not so good," admitted Clara shamefully. "I spent most of my time tending the babes, and the rest, well... I just haven't had much time."

And the rest of the time I've been spending kissing an enemy soldier.

"I thought not," said Bimi, with an amused air. "Take some of mine then." She withdrew several small, wrapped parcels from her haversack and placed them into Clara's. "Do you have your warmer clothing? The gods only know where this quest may take you, and what attire you may need. Best to be prepared for everything."

"Yes, I think I have all but the herbs," said Clara, who could not help but smile and feel warmly toward Bimi and her mothering attitude.

"Well then I don't know why you're hanging about talking to an old fuddy-duddy like me, when there's a handsome man waiting for you in the woods," Bimi teased. Clara smile, and threw her arms around her mentor one last time, fighting back tears. What if something happened and she never say Bimi again? She tried to dismiss the thought; imagining the worst wasn't going to help anyone.

"Goodbye," she sniffed, and Bimi gave her one last squeeze before releasing her.

"Goodbye child, and may the gods go with you."

Clara picked up her sack and left before her emotions got the better of her and she cried. The inn was quiet as she left, everyone still asleep. She stepped outside into the slightly chilly air, and walked to the edge of town.

The sun was barely breaking as she entered the woods, and Clara decided she had time for one more stop. She knew Bimi would have laughed if she saw what Clara was about to do, but it was going to be a long, dangerous mission, and she needed all the strength she could get. Deviating from the course she knew led to the clearing, she headed deeper into woods, to the very thick of it. When she saw the patches of valdir, she knew she was close. Turning, she spotted what she'd come for.

The heart tree was large and gnarled, its branches twisting and turning over the top of one another, but it was still beautiful. Clara settled onto the ground with her back against it, smiling to herself. Bimi would shake her head at what Clara was doing, but whether it was true or just her imagination, she always felt stronger and more energized after time spent with a heart tree. Leaning against it, she closed her eyes and focused on soaking up the energy. The sounds around her told her the forest was just beginning to wake up.

The still of the morning was punctuated by a bird trill here and there, and the occasional rustle of something through the underbrush. The wood at her back felt warm and smooth, and though there was discernable pull or push of energy, as there was when she healed, it seemed to radiate light into her back. It was gentle and smooth, and she supposed it could be her own body head reflecting off the wood, and the 'energy' might come down to the relaxation and sense of peace she felt from the quiet time in the forest, but if there was even a chance that it was real, she was taking it. If nothing else, she'd be able to catch a little nap before setting off, since her late night with Lukas and Bimi had left her no time for sleep. The buzz of the forest around her lulled her into a calm state, and soon she drifted off.

* * *

"Well, well, what do we have here?" drawled a Maharian accent. Clara smiled as her eyes fluttered. Of course Lukas had found her, he'd probably been tracking her since she entered the woods.

"Looks like a little treat someone left out for us," said a second voice, and Clara's eyes sprang open fully, darting around till she found the source of the voices. Two men were in the little heart tree clearing with her, soldiers by the looks, and Maharians by their accents. She fought back a moment of pure panic, reminding herself that she was a healer, and under the treaty both countries had signed, healers were safe. She rose slowly, raising her hands to show she was unarmed and allowing her cloak to swing around, displaying its red color.

"I'm a healer," she said. "Are either of you two gentlemen in need of my services?" They looked perfectly healthy, if troublesome, but you could never tell. One might have an injured wife or child at home.

The first man grinned a very nasty grin. "What exactly are you offering to service?" His hand made an obvious gesture to his breeches. She recoiled in horror, then drew herself up to her full height. It wouldn't do to let them see her fear.

"If you have no need of my healing abilities, I'll be on my way." She made determined step back the way she had come, but the first man reached out and snagged her arm. His fingers dug in cruelly as he tugged.

"Hold up a minute, we've got some questions."

"Yes," continued the second, "Don't be running off in such a hurry." Their black armor would have given them away if their accents hadn't; it was identical to what Lukas wore.

Clara forced herself to remain calm, her expression level as she jerked her arm back and turned to face the soldiers. "Yes?"

"If you've been out in these woods, you might have seen something. We're looking for a... renegade soldier. Maharian, like us." The first man was grinning again. "He's not civilized like we are, you see, and he might make straight for a village and take out the nearby women and children. We just want to reel him and make him fight decent, honourable warfare." He paused, giving her a look. "Then we'll be on our way, back to our own country. You haven't seen anything, have you?"

"N-no" Clara lied. "I only come out here to look for herbs." Her haversack was brimming with herbs, at least she'd have something to back her up if they demanded proof.

"You're sure?" pressed the second man, taking a step closer.

"Quite," reassured Clara. The two men exchanged looks.

"I find that very hard to believe," continued the second man. "I think you might have seen something, maybe you just didn't realize it."

"Maybe we can help jog her memory," said the first.

"Maybe what she needs is an example of what that renegade might to innocent women, if he were to catch one." The second man took another step toward her, and Clara turned on her heel and bolted away without a second glance, fleeing at top speed. She thought about calling for help but decided to save her breath. If she could make it to the village she'd be safe; they'd never attack her in daylight in view of all the Lotharisian citizens. She poured all her energy into running, the forest trees slapping against her face and body as she streaked by. The entrance seemed so far...

She risked a glance behind her. They were close, but she might be able to make it. The few seconds she spent looking behind her instead of watching her path cost her dear: a root that was sticking up from the floor of the forest caught her foot, and she tumbled to the ground, the wind knocked out of her. Desperately trying to suck in air, she scrambled upright again, but it was too late. The men were upon her and throwing her to the ground in an instant.

"I'm a healer," she hissed in short gasps as her air returned. "You'll be hanged for this."

"I very much doubt that," said the one with the nasty smile. She reached for the knife at her side, determined to defend herself, but the other man jerked it from her grasp, throwing it from her and holding her hands tight. She screamed with rage, trying to force her way upright again, the better to make her escape, but she was unceremoniously shoved down. The first man grabbed the hem of her skirts and tossed them up over her waist. Clara kicked out at him, but he pinned her legs beneath his body.

"Get off!" she screamed, wrenching her body sideways and trying to dislodge him. The other man held her hands tight above her head.

"Shut her up, will you? We don't need the whole village to hear" the first man said, and the second pinioned her arms beneath his knee as he reached for her mouth.

"LUK -" she started to scream, and then found herself fighting for air again as the massive hand covered her mouth and nose. She was probably too far from the village for anyone to hear her even if she was able to yell, she thought miserably.

"That's better. Watch that mouth though, they can kill a man with their Healer's Kiss." He was tearing at her undergarments, while holding down her legs. She tried in vain to kick out at him, to free her arms, to do anything, but her struggles were for naught. Bare from the waist down, she was vulnerable and exposed. The first man undid his trousers and his erection sprang free. He grinned down at Clara and began to lower himself over her. She screamed against the hand on her mouth and struggled harder, managing to jerk a knee upwards and drive it into the man's groin. His cry of pain was most satisfactory.

Ooof, you bitch!" he doubled over, glaring at her. "You're going to pay for that!" He lunged toward her again, then suddenly stopped, a surprised expression on his face as a knife handle appeared to grow from his neck. A trickle of blood ran down his shoulder and chest, and his body keeled over sideways and backwards, still with the expression of surprise. Clara felt a rush of relief as Lukas stepped into view, barely even glancing at the first man as he reclaimed his knife and advanced on the second man.

"Wulff!" the man exclaimed, releasing his hold on Clara and leaping backward. She took advantage of her freedom and straightened her clothing, trying to cover herself back up as quickly as possible.

"I don't know why you're surprised, Kiefen. Weren't you sent to find me? Well done to you then."

"Now wait, Wulff, you don't know the whole story. We were just sent to bring you back, that's all. Just to talk you out of this madness you and the princess have cooked up. There's no need for any of that. Kiefen gestured toward the body of the first man. "We were just having a little fun with this peasant girl, surely there's no harm in that?" he gave Lukas a wheedling smile.

"She's no peasant, and you know that, however the station of her birth shouldn't matter. Is this what King Otto intends if he claims his desired victory? The rape of innocent women and the loss of sanctity for our Healers?" The two men were slowly circling each other, on guard but not yet making the first move. Clara had crawled out of the way, and she stopped now, paralyzed with fear. What if Lukas was injured or killed? She wouldn't have a chance to try and heal him, not with Kiefen around. She edged toward her knife, which Kiefen had thrown from her. If she could get a chance, if he turned his back on her, she wouldn't hesitate to plunge it into him. Her hands closed around the cool metal handle and she stood, trying to be discreet.

"It was just a bit of fun. We wouldn't have seriously injured her. Now, come on home with me and our good king says all will be forgiven. There's a place in his private guard if you'll give up this ridiculous quest."

"So I can simper and strut about like you and Singzer?" Lukas waved a hand at the body of the first man. "I don't think so. And I don't think you'll be reporting this back to Otto either." He lunged toward Kiefen, his knife flashing, but the other man was prepared, and his own blade leapt out of its holder at Lukas. They were obviously well matched; each managed to avoid the others knife. Clara knew that the Maharians preferred their long knives to swords, and traditionally any battles of honor were fought that way. She'd heard that a well skilled knifeman was a sight to see, and as the two men lunged and parried, dodged and dove, she comprehended the truth of it. Had it not been her own Lukas or a fight in which she personally stood to lose all, it would have been a pleasure to observe such skill.

Lukas feinted right, but Kiefer was prepared, and slashed at him, his blade drawing the first blood on Lukas' arm. Clara gasped in horror, then reminded herself that she must be quiet and wait for her opportunity without drawing attention to herself. The wound on Lukas' arm was shallow, and she could have it healed in a moment once she was able to lay hands on him. Keifer hit the ground in a rolling dive as Lukas lunged at him, coming up with a bleeding ear. Clara had not even seen Lukas make contact, but the blood on his blade and his grim smile confirmed it had been inflicted by him. She silently cheered for him.

Keifer touched his ear in disbelief, the blood on his fingers clearly a surprise. Clara decided it was her moment, now while he was distracted, and raised her knife, running up behind him. Lukas could not help the look of fear that crossed his face as she moved to the other man, and his expression was not lost on Kiefer, who turned around. Clara had come too far to stop now, and her knife began its descent even as she saw Keifer move his own knife wielding arm. In that moment, she knew all was lost, and Kiefer would kill her. At least Lukas will be safe, she thought, and then her legs were swept out from under her and she hit the ground hard, her knife slipping from her grasp. She looked up in horror, expecting to see Keifer bearing down on her, but the man was still, blood gurgling from his mouth as it ran down to meet the blood pouring from his chest around the protruding knife blade. Lukas withdrew his knife from the man's back and let the twitching body fall to the side.

"Are you mad!?" he exclaimed, dropping to a knee next to Clara. "You could have been killed, what could have possessed you to come after an experienced knifeman like that?" He grabbed her shoulders and shook her. "Are you hurt? Answer me!"

Clara, quite to her own surprise, began to giggle. There was nothing funny about the situation, but the nervous laughter rose up, and the expression on Lukas' face only made it worse. The hysterical giggles continued to bubble up, and she could hardly draw breath. Her eyes began to fill with tears, and the laughter abruptly switched to great, wracking sobs that shook her whole body. Lukas sighed softly and sat on the forest floor.

peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers
12