The Girls of Manchester Pt. 01

Story Info
One day is all it takes to set the stage for a lifetime.
44.8k words
4.8
16.3k
34

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/07/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey, everybody! I know you are familiar with the Girls of Manchester. I promised a rewrite of Chapter 1, but have instead decided to try to revamp the entire series. The story seems to be stagnating and I really need to put a new perspective on things. Hopefully the flow will be a lot better this time around without as many big, blocky paragraphs with no end in sight, lol. I was amazed when I counted the pages I have written on this storyline and came up with 278 pages of material. That is a lot of writing, lol. I just think that I can improve on it and hopefully deliver a better reading experience.

All of the characters you have seen in the previous iteration of this story line are involved in this one as well. There are a number of differences, however, which I hope will create a better reading experience for everybody.

  1. The main characters involved in the story are introduced one by one progressively throughout this first part of the story.
    1. Chapter 1: Samantha and Bridget (New character, won't be as heavily involved in the story.)
    2. Chapter 2: Hope
    3. Chapter 3: Amanda
    4. Chapter 4: Jessica
    5. Chapter 5: Elizabeth
    6. Additional characters will be introduced on an as-needed basis throughout the development of the new story line. Not all chapters focus on events from the viewpoint of a single individual, but a number of them will.
  2. Traits and details of some of the characters have been altered. You will especially notice this difference with Samantha.
  3. Jessica and Elizabeth have greater roles in the story line. Unfortunately, I had largely neglected these two vital characters in the old series. I hope to rectify this in the new one as much as possible, because there are some stories, I believe, they as characters will have to tell as well.
  4. The story, as you can tell from above, is broken down into a number of smaller chapters. Hopefully I can reduce some of the eye fatigue from reading as well as give you decent placeholders for when, or if, you decide to come back to read this. Also, I think it is a pretty cool way to kind of introduce the themes of some of the chapters without entirely giving away the actual plot. If you decide to read further, you will know what I am talking about.
  5. If you are concerned this will affect the length of the writing (those who messaged saying they enjoyed longer stories), have no fear. If nothing else, this story is about to get a LOT longer with a LOT more dialogue as well as new situations and scenes that were never in the story to begin with.
  6. Following point four, I should point out that this is being written in a novel form. The old versions of the story will be left available for reference (though probably not indefinitely), not that it will help too much because I will not be developing those any further.
  7. The old material IS worked into this story. So, if you are concerned about not recognizing the old material, and you actually liked it, it is still here, just expanded upon and integrated into the new situations this re-write presents. Some of it has been reworded, worked around and new stuff added to make those scenes more effective.
  8. This approach to a story is different than anything I have tried before. Primarily, this is because it involves one of the main characters living out her daily life with a mental condition. Mental conditions run a rather large gamut of effects on a person. Some leave traces, physical manifestations of the diseases which affect someone. Others remain hidden, their ability to affect and alter the personalities and abilities behind the otherwise normal veneer of a person's body is undetectable to nearly everyone around them. This is a story which involves the latter category.
    1. Mutism can take many forms. Many forms of mental illness and physical conditions can cause this inability to speak, or speak properly. Other people have been known to choose silence over the ability to speak. These people are known as elective mutes. Elective mutes are not handicapped in ways that society understands the term, generally. They are just as energetic, just as intelligent, just as emotionally- balanced as any other person. Most of the time elective mutism involves a stimulus, or a set of stimuli, which are so overwhelming that the person simply cannot communicate. This story involves an elective mute as one of its' main characters. Instances where she is communicating are indicated by italics within quotation marks. Internal dialogue is in italics without quotation marks for all characters.

What I have hoped to accomplish from the time I started writing the older story line, was to be able to illustrate life itself in the best way I could. Like that story line, there will be ups, and downs as well. Those familiar with my previous submissions will be able to tell you that the subjects I broach upon can be sad and/or controversial in nature. I write about these things because, though unfortunate, they are a part of ordinary life in this world. Though a large number of people may not experience some of those things, others do. I think it is a great disservice to not be able to talk about them and illustrate their effects on people. A lot of my work deals with personal life experiences, or those of people with whom I am acquainted. In those instances, I have altered details, locations and names in order to protect their identities. My main goal is to be able to follow the lives of these girls from a predetermined point all the way to the point they draw their final breath. I guess I take a somewhat romantic view of life and death in that even death can be beautiful in its own right when a life is lived to its' fullest. Maybe, in the end, you will be able to tell me whether or not I have achieved my goal. I hope it will be worth it in the end for all of you.

There are underage characters in this story, however, all characters and portrayals of characters in the course of performing sexual acts involve characters that are 18+ years of age. I will be adding more sexual scenes to the story so that it may better fit in with the purpose of this section. I mean, it is kind of hard to have erotica if there is nothing erotic about it. I guess in my zeal to provide a little plot I sometimes forget that. I hope that this will make things much better this time around for the enjoyment of all. It does not mean I will entirely be discarding plot in favor of sex, however, and it will still take some time to build up to that point. For some people, sex may happen in the form of a one-night stand, but I tend to be a hopeless romantic at heart, so please forgive me if I like stories with romantic exposition. For me, the fun is in telling the story.

Much Love,

Stormy

P.S., I hope, and ask for as much feedback as possible, especially comments. Critiques are especially helpful to me as an author. I only seek to further improve myself for your enjoyment. Anything and everything whether praise, noncommittal 'it was okay' comments, and even harsh critiques are helpful for me to be able to do this. Also, I would be lying if I didn't say it makes my day to see what you think of my work. If lesbian themes offend you, hit the back button on your browser. If you are underage, hit the back button on your browser. All rights to this work are reserved to myself.

Before I begin (finally, right?), I would like to thank two individuals specifically for their time and effort spent on helping me with this rewrite of The Girls of Manchester. The first is foxyfiona. She has been of immense help with my stories since I first started putting them here on Literotica. She has been encouraging and providing insightful guidance for me ever since. Thanks, girl. You are a doll! The second is Literotica user skelkins. He has been very helpful with spot editing, making sure my story is consistent and makes sense. I'm adding him to the "team", lol. If anybody wishes to help with future stories, please contact me on my member page. I can always use a fresh pair of eyes. I don't expect to get a perfect story, but I do want to make all the effort necessary to make this enjoyable at the very least. *****

The Girls of Manchester

Part 01: The First Day

Ch. 01: Signs

"Signs, signs
Everywhere there's signs.
Fucking up the scenery,
Breaking my mind.
Do this, don't do that,
Can't you read the sign?"

-Tesla, "Signs"

Sam woke up slowly, each of her limbs feeling as though they were weighed down. She moved them slowly, trying to work out the tingling feeling that stung her like a thousand needles. The movements were awkward and painful, requiring some effort on her part to keep the pain from becoming too intense. She had slept very little the night before, and as was usual when that happened she had had a very restless sleep. Today she was going back to school, and Sam had been dreading it for weeks now. She remained in her bed, her covers drawn up over her shoulders as she relished in the warmth that enveloped her. She slowly brought the comforter in closer to her body, smiling in bliss as the stiffness slowly left her, allowing her to fully relax and revel in the sensations which the safety and comfort of her bed provided.

She had not bothered to open her eyes at all up to this point, the wonderful warmth surrounding her body lulling her senses back to near sleep until she heard her door open. She didn't open her eyes at all. Only one person in her family opened the door without knocking.

"Still in bed, Sam?" Bridget asked.

Sam made no effort to respond. She kept her eyes closed, listening as Bridget's footsteps edged closer to her bed. She couldn't keep a straight face at all. The closer Bridget came to her bed, the bigger her smile became. She felt her bed move slightly and Sam had no idea what was on her sister's mind. Suddenly, she felt her comforter being yanked toward the bottom of the bed.

"Get up, Sam!" Bridget yelled as she continued to pull on the comforter.

Sam jumped up in pure fright. She was naked underneath the covers and she could not warn her sister and pull the covers back over her nude body at the same time. Her sister was too busy giggling and pulling on the covers to notice Sam's panic. Sam lost. Though twins, Bridget had always been the stronger one, and Sam's nudity was exposed. Bridget finally noticed as Sam hunched over her crossed legs, wrapping her arms around herself in an attempt to cover up.

"Oh, my God, Sam! I'm so sorry!" Bridget exclaimed, picking up the comforter and draping it over Sam's shoulders.

"Yeah, right." Sam responded as she blushed furiously.

Bridget smiled and sat down on the bed next to her sister, wrapping her up in a hug.

"Don't change the subject." Sam signed.

"Aww, don't get mad, Sam. You know I didn't mean anything by it. It's not like I could have known you were sleeping naked with your comforter pulled all the way up to your chin."

"I guess." Sam responded, leaning against Bridget's shoulder.

"What's wrong? All summer, you have been up bright and early ready to do something. Now all of a sudden you are fighting to stay in bed. What's up?"

"You know, Bridget. You shouldn't even have to ask by now." Sam's face had fallen dramatically, her entire body tense.

"Maybe you should try to make friends."

"I had a friend."

"One friend, Sam. Why not make more? You are smart, beautiful and funny. I love being around you, and how many sisters out there do you know of who can say that about their baby sister?"

"You're older than me by three minutes, Bridget." Sam responded rolling her eyes. Bridget laughed.

"That means I am older, and you are my baby sister."

"Doesn't count." Sam replied, leaning her entire body against Bridget's side and closing her eyes.

"Oh, no you don't. You need to get up and get dressed. You are going to school with me." Bridget said, pushing Sam upright.

"Nobody likes me." Sam frowned.

"This is a whole new school, Sam. What are you talking about?"

"It doesn't matter where I go, nobody gives me much of a choice but to hate my time at school."

"Put yourself out there more, Sam. That is all you have to do. I mean-." Bridget stopped herself. She already saw the angry glare and the explosion that was coming.

"Sam, I am sorry. I didn't mean to-." Bridget tried to respond, but was cut off by a weightless sensation as Sam pushed her off of the bed and onto the floor. She went wide-eyed as Sam got off the bed and started pacing furiously around the room, naked as the day she was born. She was signing so fast even Bridget was having a hard time keeping up with it.

"Sam."

"-you have no idea what I have to go through every single day -,"

"Sam!" Bridget got louder.

"-even if I do put myself out there, nobody wants to try to communicate with me. It's like I'm some sort of leper or something- "

"Sam!" Bridget shouted at the top of her voice, finally breaking Sam out of her rant. Sam stood there looking at her sort of bewildered. Bridget got off of the floor with a huff and walked around her sister to close the door. The last thing she wanted was her parents to bust in on them with Sam being naked. Bridget turned the latch so that she could keep things private between them, then spun around to face her sister as she motioned that she was going to sign so nobody could overhear their conversation. Sam nodded as Bridget walked over to her dresser and started pulling out clothes.

"Look, Sam, I love you. You know that, right?"

Sam nodded as Bridget picked through her clothes to find an outfit for her to wear. Finding something somewhat sexy to try to ease her sister into things, Bridget led her to the bed and sat on the edge.

"I can't understand you when you sign that fast. I know we talk a lot, but let's be honest. You have a lot more practice at it than I do." Bridget said.

Sam gave a rueful smile.

"I'm sorry, Bridget. I get so angry sometimes. It's just that people are always so mean to me. I am always the one they pick on. I just want to go through school, any school, without having to worry about people making fun of me or playing some sort of joke on me. I did nothing wrong."

"No, baby sis, you didn't. I wish I could stop it. I get scared for you sometimes. Like, why don't you have a boyfriend?"

"Weren't you listening earlier?" Bridget asked, looking at her incredulously.

"Like I said, Sam, you were signing too fast for me to catch most of it."

Sam's face fell.

"Bridget, do you love me?" Sam asked, her jaw trembling. "I have to tell you something, and I am not sure how you are going to take it."

"Of course, I love you. How could you even ask that?" Bridget responded, concerned.

"I'm a lesbian." Sam responded, looking into her eyes with a faint flicker of fear.

Bridget looked at her sister dumbfounded. Never, not even once in her life had she ever considered that Sam was a lesbian. Honestly, it didn't really change a thing. She loved her sister still, there was no doubt about that.

"Please say something." Sam begged, laying a hand on Bridget's arm.

"If you are a lesbian, then I am fine with it. You are no less a sister to me now than you were five minutes ago. Can I ask you something?"

Sam nodded.

"How long have you known?" Bridget asked.

"I don't know. A while, I guess." Sam replied with a shrug of her shoulders. "Honestly, I never gave it too much of a thought. I'm already different. So, I guess being even more different doesn't change a thing, now, does it?"

Bridget stared at Sam, not believing what her sister had just told her. How can you be so nonchalant about something so big? It had taken years for her to come out as bisexual. Now hear her sister was saying she had been a lesbian for "a while" and brushing it off like it was nothing. Why? Because she was different? Bridget just could not believe what she was hearing, and her face must have shown every trace of doubt she was feeling.

"Bridget, it is okay, really. I am fine with who I am. I just accepted it a long time ago."

"Sam, you just don't understand. You know I am bisexual. It took me years to open up about that. Mom and Dad came around eventually, but you are acting like it meant nothing to be lesbian. Coming out is a big step."

"You are the first person I have told." Sam replied. "I never said anything because nobody ever questioned me about my sexuality. I don't see why it has to be such a big deal anyways."

"But it is a big deal, Sam!" Bridget replied, shaking her arms for emphasis.

"Not for me."

"How can you say that? That is what I don't get!" Bridget signed, desperate to understand how something that had made such a big impact on her own life could be met with a mere shrug of the shoulders by her sister.

"Like I said. I have been different my entire life. Being a little more different doesn't really change much. I have to go through the same old drama every single day no matter how you look at it."

"Hang on, I'm going to dress you. If you don't get dressed now, we are so going to miss the bus. I really want to know where you're going with this, but I know it's a pain in the ass trying to dress and sign at the same time." Bridget said, reverting to her voice. She picked up one of her sister's bras and guided the straps up her sister's arms before Sam was able to continue. Bridget kept her eyes on her sister's gesturing hands as she tried to hook the clasp.

"I know you can't tell how I am feeling all of the time, but I can't really explain it any other way. Imagine being told your entire life that you are no different than anyone else, or that you are special. In the same space of time, everybody treats you like you are different than everybody else, and you become almost like a pariah or something. For being no more different than anybody else, I have always been treated different. Even by you."

"Wait a minute. I have never been mean to you, at all. How can you say that I am treating you different?" Bridget replied, a tinge of anger in her voice.

"You said it yourself earlier. How many sisters out there could say they enjoy being around their own? We have never even fought, not once. Yeah, I might have pushed you once or twice, and you me, but it was never because we were angry with each other. It is just our way of expressing our displeasure with what the other is saying. I mean, how else can I? Flailing my arms about everywhere, and you not being able to comprehend what I am saying does nothing to get you to understand that I am trying to make an important point."

"Okay, I guess I can see that." Bridget responded, pulling a shirt up Sam's arms and over her head.

"It's not like I can say anything to make it understood, so I have to make it known somehow. It is just the way we have learned to communicate."

"That still doesn't answer my question, though." Bridget interrupted, smoothing a few wrinkles out of Sam's shirt, making sure to pull her sisters hair out from underneath the collar. "Stand up, please."