The Hangman Cometh: Tyler Rawlings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

John stood, walked over to the jug, picked it up and shook it. He smiled but Tyler wasn't sure if he was smiling at what was left or at the amount they had drank that night. "Reckon its bed time for Molly and me," John said. "I've got to head up to Arroyo Grande in the morning to look at a breeding bull and a couple of horses." Molly took her husband's hand and led him into the house.

Tyler met John at the corral at first light. "I can go with you little brother, I know how to tend and drive stock."

John knew Tyler wasn't up to the better than fifty mile round trip. "Tyler, I wished you'd stay and watch over Molly and the ranch. There have been raids made on outlaying ranches just north of here. People are saying it's the Chumash Indians."

"Tryin to make me take it easy are you," Tyler replied with a grin.

"Maybe so but that don't change the fact that some ranches were burned out. I'd feel better if you were here just in case."

Tyler pulled the bridle over the horse's ears and set the bit. "Rest easy John; I'll take care of Molly."

"Thanks big brother. It's a bit over fifty miles round trip to Arroyo Grande. I'll push a little today and get there late afternoon. Coming back it will be slow if I buy the bull. It's starting to get hot during the day so I'll take it easy on the animals on the way back. I may be gone two and half or three days." John slid a Winchester into the saddle scabbard, mounted and put his horse on the trail.

Tyler spent the day doing chores around the ranch house and barn under the watchful eye of Molly. Two or three times she called out to him to leave what he was doing alone because she didn't think he was up to it.

He never gave her an argument and just smiled. "Yes em," he said and went on to another chore. That evening after supper, Molly brought a cup of coffee out to where Tyler was sitting on the front porch. The weather had cooled down as it usually did that time of the year and she wore a shawl. He had his back to the front wall and had tipped his chair up against it. Molly handed him the coffee and he leaned forward so the chair came back to the floor.

"Always sit with a wall at your back," Tyler said. "Old habits are hard to get rid of."

"Would you continue your story?" Molly asked as she sat in her rocking chair. Tyler looked a little surprised and she grinned as she added, "You did say I had a right to know what kind of family I married into."

Tyler nodded, took a drink of coffee and leaned back in his chair again. "Where was I, oh yeah, I left Fort Smith and headed down to Texas. Ran into a man named Creed Taylor, in Clinton, Texas. He was in the middle of a tussle with a bunch of boys from the North headed by a man named Sutton. I hired on for a spell as a cowhand but had to defend myself with my gun three times in as many months. Just the fact that I worked for Taylor was enough for the Sutton crew to come at me. The killin got to be too much for me again so left DeWitt County and I moved on. That was in late '70 or early '71.

Pulling a cigar out of his vest, Tyler held it up to Molly; getting permission before lighting it. After he got it lit and drawing to his satisfaction he continued, "Met a real interestin gent while I worked for Creed. Man called John Wesley Hardin."

Molly nodded and said, "I've heard of him. He's a famous gun fighter, like you."

"Well I hope I have a better name than Hardin. Anyway he wasn't famous yet when we met in Texas; he was only 18 or 19. Creed was havin a party and someone told Hardin I was as fast as him. He came over to me to challenge me to a shootin contest. We set some targets up, stood side by side, someone yelled go and we both pulled our pistols."

"Did you beat him?"

Tyler smiled for a few seconds before he answered. "I'm gonna tell you something I never told anyone before little girl. If Hardin and me had been fightin for real, I might have been a dead man. He said I think I got you and I said it was close. I told him I'd hate to have to live on the difference. Hardin smiled at me and said we'll have to see some time. He had a strange look in his eyes."

"Why didn't you admit Hardin won?"

"A man that lives by his gun has to believe he is the fastest. A man that only thinks he is the best is a dead man. You got to have that edge or you'll be killed for sure. A gun hand has to make everyone believe it too."

Molly went into the house and brought out the big ever present coffee pot. She refilled Tyler's cup and sat back in her rocker. "What did you do then?"

"It was time for me to move on so I just drifted around; hirin out my gun. I worked as a payroll guard, rode shotgun on the stage for a spell, even tried bounty huntin a couple of times; didn't like that much. A few times I hired out as nothin but a gun hand; always gave whoever I face an even chance, but it was killin for pay just the same. All the jobs had me usin my gun."

Tyler stared up at the full moon for more than a minute with a somber look on his face and then he smiled. "I was in a saloon in San Antonio and a man standin next to me got a telegram. He couldn't read so the bartender read the wire to him. That's when I heard he was Josiah Reading, a hangman. I also heard he was goin to Uvalde and who he was supposed to hang." Tyler chuckled, "y'all know the rest."

"Where did you go after Uvalde?"

"Well...I tagged along behind y'all for a spell to make sure no one was on your back trail; followed you until you got on that stage. By then I figured people didn't want to come under my guns again and y'all were safe. I drifted around for about a year and a half and then got the bright idea to come visit you and John."

Tyler shook his head. "I was able to avoid any more problems until I got to Bakersfield. Y'all know how that worked out," he said pointing to his side and giving Molly another grim smile.

********************

Time to head back to the house, Tyler thought. He was at the back of the barn repairing a section of the wall that an over excited horse had kicked in. His own horse and the guilty party were looking over the top rail of the corral. "Reckon Molly will have food ready," he told the horses.

As he rounded the barn he saw Molly on the front porch facing three mounted men. She looked angry and was talking at one of the men in what was an obvious heated manner. Tyler reached inside the barn door, took his pistol belt off of a peg and buckled on his weapon. He slowly walked to the end of the porch. The men hadn't noticed him...yet.

"I told you we'd give you a good price for your ranch young lady." The man speaking looked to be about 40, sat his horse heavy due to his protruding belly. His right hand was on his thigh near his gun. "Be smart and take the money."

"And I told you, the Double B is not for sale. My husband will tell you the same thing when he comes home."

"Don't know that we want to wait until your man gets back." The other two leered and looked at Molly as if they were more interested in her than the land deal.

"Can we buy her too Billy?" The one closest to Tyler asked. "She sure am pretty."

"Shut up Tom," Billy answered. "You and Charlie keep your mind on business."

Billy turned back to Molly. "This is how it's gonna be Missy. You can gather your things and leave on your own or ..."

"Or what?" Tyler asked and joined Molly.

"Don't deal yourself into this Mister," Billy warned. "This ain't none of your affair."

"That's where you're wrong Billy," Tyler replied. The name Billy was said with the same tone you would use to talk about a rattlesnake. "Molly is my sister in law and I'll not stand by and let her or my brother be run off their ranch."

"And who might you be to talk so big," Billy replied. "There am three of us Mister."

"My name is Tyler Rawlings."

Billy's face and those of his companions turned a sickly shade of gray. "The gunfighter?" Tom asked. "From Dewitt County in Texas?" Tyler nodded, his smile made him look like a big cat on the prowl and about to pounce.

"You're the one that faced down John Wesley Hardin," Charlie said with a bit of awe in his voice.

Tyler nodded again and let his hand hang down near the butt of his Colt. "I think you boys are about done here; ride on," he ordered.

"You can't get all three of us,' Billy blustered.

"Yes I can," Tyler said in a hard voice.

"Ifin we draw on Tyler Rawlings Billy, he'll kill us," Tom said with a lot of fear in his voice.

Billy hesitated and Tyler asked, "Who do you work for?"

"Mr. Logan," Charlie answered. "He told us buy the ranch or run the lady and her husband off."

"Go back to Mr. Logan and tell him to leave my brother and Molly alone. If he doesn't I'll come into town for a chat," Tyler said. "And I don't think he'll like what we talk about." He stared at the men for a few seconds and added, "Now get while you can."

Billy, Tom and Charlie, turned their horses, bumping into each other in their hurry to get gone, and spurred their mounts to escape the deadly guns of Tyler Rawlings.

Molly and Tyler watched as the men rode away at a high gallop. Tyler put his hand on Molly's shoulder. "Why would this Logan want the Double B bad enough to send those men out here?"

"I don't know. We've got some good grazing land and pretty good water but nothing special. There are a couple of ranches in the next valley that have better. He did make John an offer for the ranch a month or so past but John just laughed in his face and left Logan standing there on the boardwalk in front of the bank."

"I think I'll saddle up and follow those boys for a spell," Tyler said. "Just to make sure they're really headed to town."

"Tyler...you're not going to kill them are you?" Molly asked. Her voice was hesitant and sorrowful and afraid at the possibility that her brother in law would do just that. One of the things that bothered her was that Tyler was trying to end his days of killing.

"No Molly, I won't kill them; at least without good reason. As long as they leave the ranch they're free to go." Tyler walked down to the corral to saddle his horse. As he got the animal ready for the trail he thought, No need to tell Molly but if those men double back I'll bury them.

Molly was still on the porch as Tyler pulled his horse to a stop. "Probably be gone for two or three hours or more so don't worry. Be best if you stayed around the house and carried a Winchester with you until I get back."

"Be careful Tyler; you're not completely healed up yet."

Tyler smiled at Molly and rode off in the direction the three men had taken. It didn't take him long to know that Billy and his boys weren't going to double back or circle around and come at the ranch house from a different direction. From the spacing of the hoof prints, they had their horses at a high gallop. Their trail led almost due west and Tyler knew Santa Maria was about two hours in that direction.

"Might as well go into town and see this Mr. Logan," Tyler said to his horse and put the animal into a ground covering lope. "Molly might be a mite upset but I'm healed enough to put a stop to this Logan."

Santa Maria on this Tuesday had few people walking around in the sun of this hot late spring day. Tyler rode down the main and only street of the town, past the normal buildings and businesses you would expect from community that lived by the farms and ranches nearby. It was just after the spring rainy season so his horse kicked up dust from the street. He passed a Mexican cantina that except for the vaquero tying up his horse at the rail looked to be closed.

There was a general mercantile that had a man sweeping the wooden boardwalk in front of the store. Next in line was a barber shop with an open door that had two or three men sitting inside in the shade talking. Across the dusty street was a freight office and next door a millinery shop with a display in the window showing three or four pretty dresses.

Next to the shop was a big building that held the bank. At the end of the street was Dooley's, the only saloon in Santa Maria. Tyler pulled his horse to a stop in front of the saloon, tied up at the hitching rail and pushed through the swinging doors. Saloons were always a good place to get information and Tyler wanted information about this Logan. Out of habit, he stepped to the side of the entrance so he wouldn't be back lit to anyone in the big, dark room.

Dooley's was like hundreds of other saloons that Tyler had been in; a big room with a few tables and chairs between the entrance and the bar which ran most of the length of the rear wall. Two spigot handle's which would draw beers for the customers rose above the bar. On the back wall facing the bar was a very large gilded mirror and a few bottles; mostly whiskey but gin and brandy were there as well.

There were four men in Dooley's. The man behind the bar was pouring a whiskey for them; it didn't look like the men's first glass; Tyler knew three of the men. Billy, Tom, and Charley, the men Tyler had run off the ranch knocked back their drinks and signaled for another. Guess they haven't been here long, Tyler thought.

The bar had a section that turned and ended against the back wall. Tyler stepped to the end of bar and stood with his back against the wall. Old habits, he thought with a grin at himself.

The bartender poured drinks for the three shaken men and then walked over to Tyler. "Welcome stranger, I'm Eddy Dooley; I own the place. First drink is on the house. What'da have?"

"A beer will be fine Mr. Dooley. Thank you."

At the sound of his voice, Billy and his two companions looked over to see the stranger. Their faces got white and they turned back to the fourth man. "That's him," Billy whispered. "That's the hombre that ran us off."

The fourth man stepped around Billy and faced Tyler. "Understand you had words with these men today," he said.

Tyler saw a man that made his living with his gun. He was about 5'6 and stocky. He was dressed in whip cord pants with the legs stuffed down into a pair of ornate boots. His shirt had a button on collar and he wore a string tie held with a silver Concho. The man looked like a dude but the pistol belt hung low on his waist, the way he stood at the ready and the look in his eyes told Tyler this was a man that had used his gun before and would again.

"You could say that; I told them to get off the Double B or I'd kill em. Why do you ask?"

"They're my men. I sent them out there to do a job and I don't appreciate you interfering. We want that ranch and we mean to have it."

"You work for Logan?" Tyler asked and the man nodded.

"I'm Dixon Samuel. Maybe you've heard of me."

Tyler nodded. "From over Las Cruces way." It was a statement, not a question.

"Las Cruces recently, other places before."

"Yeah, I've heard of you," Tyler said.

Samuel's hand hovered near his pistol butt and he smiled. "What did you hear Mister? You hear how fast I am?"

Dooley moved down the bar and if he had been out front of it he would have been between the two men. "Gentleman, let me buy y'all a drink; there's no need for trouble."

"Stay out of this bartender," Samuels replied. His eyes never left Tyler. "So what did you hear Mister?"

Tyler sighed and his lips stretched back into a grim smile as his own hand moved closer to his pistol. He knew he would have to kill this man before long.

"So what did you hear?" Samuel prompted.

"I heard you were a back shootin son of a bitch." Tyler saw the man tense.

"You talk like a man wantin to die,' Samuel said. "Who might you be? I like to know the name of the men I kill."

"Name's Tyler Rawlings." Tyler could see the change in Samuel's eyes at hearing the name.

"We didn't get to that part yet Dixon," Billy whined. "That's Tyler Rawlings, the famous gunfighter, he's the one run us off."

"I'll tell you the same thing I told your men; leave my brother alone or I'll kill you. I won't brace you or call you out; I'll just shoot you and put you in a grave." Tyler saw Samuel straighten from the crouch he'd been in and sort of stand back on his heels. Some of the bravado went out of him.

"Going to see Logan now," Tyler said and turned to leave the saloon. About half way to the door, he heard Samuel call out.

"Rawlings," then again when Tyler didn't stop walking. "Rawlings, I won't say it again."

Tyler spun around, pulling his gun. Samuel had his pistol almost out of his holster and froze at the sight of the big, nickel finished Colt pointed at him.

"You're a lucky man Samuel," Tyler said. "Unbuckle your gun belt and kick it away." He motioned at Billy and the others and added, "You too."

The men did as ordered and when they were unarmed, Tyler spoke in a hard voice. "I'm gonna give you boys a chance you don't deserve. Leave Santa Maria and don't look back. Next time I see you I'll kill you."

"You don't have to tell us twice Mr. Rawlings," Billy said. Tom and Charley nodded their agreement. "We'll leave at first light. Goin back to Las Cruces where we belong."

"Do it now," Tyler ordered. "You too Samuel; hit the trail and don't come back."

Samuel bent down to pick up his gun belt but Tyler interrupted. "Leave the gun," he ordered. Samuel looked at Tyler with hate but left the saloon without his pistol.

Tyler followed the men out of the saloon, watched as they mounted and rode out of town on the trail east to New Mexico. He turned and walked to the bank. A sign was mounted on the side of the building that said Arthur Logan's office was above the bank. Climbing the wooden stairs, Tyler didn't bother knocking on the door; he threw the door open and entered the office.

The space was one big room with a fireplace and a desk opposite the door. A big man sat behind the desk. He was almost as wide as he was tall. His thinning hair was slicked down and combed to the side. When the door flew open, he look up with deep set eyes that reminded Tyler of a weasel or a rat. He sure ain't missed many meals, Tyler thought.

"You be Logan?" Tyler asked. "The one that wants the Rawlings ranch?"

"What business is it of yours?"

Tyler didn't answer the question but said, "I just dealt with the men you sent to run those folks off."

"All of them?" Logan asked. Tyler nodded and his smile was a lot like the grimace that a mountain lion had just before he attacked his prey. "Dixon Samuel too?" Tyler nodded again.

"I didn't kill them, although they deserved it. They decided to go back to Las Cruces. Guess they figured the climate was better there." Tyler stared at Logan for a few seconds. "John Rawlings is my brother and my name is Tyler Rawlings. If you or any more of your men bother him, I'll come back here and deal with you myself."

Logan's face got flushed and red and then turned pale in fear. He knew he had just met a man that wouldn't hesitate to follow up on his threat. "I won't bother them again Mr. Rawlings."

Tyler nodded, turned and left the office. Reckon I better get back fore Molly gets worried, he thought. He walked back to the saloon, mounted his horse and rode back to the Double B.

********************

John and Tyler were riding around the ranch. It was going on to early summer; with the good spring rains the trees and grass were doing their best to see which one could put more green into the world. Tyler hadn't had a chance to see much except the ranch house, barn, and corrals because of his wound. He figured if he could ride into and back from Santa Maria he was healed enough to explore the Double B. It had been a week since Tyler had ran off Dixon Samuel, his three men, and the threat to Logan.

"Looks like Logan took your little talk to heart," John said. "Seems he pulled up stakes and lit out; heard he moved down to Santa Ana. There is talk about the railroad coming into that area."