The Hot Date Mystery Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"This is good lasagna." Molinari said as he ate. "Westphalia could use a good Italian restaurant like this. Of course, I'd want to start a steak and seafood place in Southport, like The Chop House in Don's Town and it's sister place in Westphalia."

"I think an arrangement could be made." said Cerone.

"I've missed my calling." I said. "I should've been a food critic for Elsie Gringer's online Society site." Both men laughed.

After lunch, I shook hands with both very tough men, and then they shook hands, albeit a little grudgingly... for the first time in years. And if things held, I might literally have ended a Mob war between the City and Southport... all over a lasagna lunch.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back at the State Capitol, I went to the Governor's office.

"How was lunch, Crowbar?" asked Griswold.

"Good." I said. "The food was really good. And I don't want to get ahead of myself, but Cerone might be open to a deal."

"I hope so." said the Governor. "I think Wilson Hammonds wants to cave in, give the Democrats what they want."

"I'm not surprised." I said. "He's the John Boehner of State politics... anything he can do to spit in the Grassroots's faces, he'll do it."

"That's a good analogy, Crowbar." said Griswold.

"By the way, Governor," I said, "how did you decide on who to invite to that conference this morning?"

"I didn't." said the Governor. "Woodburn said she would bring along Cerone and Madoff, and Hammonds picked Stockton. I was surprised; I thought he might pick Molinari."

"Next time, invite Molinari yourself." I said. "And keep Molinari in the loop, even if Hammonds and Stockton scream about it."

"So why didn't Hammonds bring Molinari?" the Governor asked thoughtfully. Chief Griswold and I just glanced at each other...

Part 7 - Enforcing the Law

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of City Hall at 7:00am, Monday, January 23d. "Channel Two News has learned that the murder victim at the Alberta Pines Townhouses was Terry Schultz, a single, 34 year old business owner!"

"Ms. Schultz was murdered by a knife wound to the throat." Bettina went on. "Police are searching for one Anthony Martoli, who goes by the name 'Andy', in connection with the case. Anyone with information regarding Mr. Martoli's whereabouts are asked to call the Police hotline, or 9-1-1."

"In State news," said Bettina, "the Legislature is all but shut down as the budget battle has brought out the deep divisions between the political parties. State Senator Katherine Woodburn had this to say. Roll tape."

A tape was played, showing Katherine Woodburn all but screaming at an outdoor press conference: "Governor Jared refuses to show any leadership! He insists upon gutting the SBI and subjecting our children to predators and drug distributors! He refuses to understand that the People of this State want security, and want a strong SBI protecting us!"

Bettina said "Republicans are also unhappy with Governor Jared's lack of leadership. Representative Wilson Hammonds, chairman of the Ways & Means Committee, said this. Roll tape."

Hammonds was surrounded by reporters at the Capitol as he said "I believe the parties can come together with a reasonable compromise, but the Governor is refusing to budge on the SBI issue, and he is endangering the entire budget process. State employees will not be getting paid if the Governor continues his unreasonable positions on the SBI bill."

Back on air, Bettina said "And more locally, the Town & County Council will be taking up the issue of promotions within the Police and Fire Departments. The Police Department has especially critical promotions for Precinct Lieutenants coming up, as well as nominations for Detectives. Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis, supported by Council members Kelly Carnes and Thomas P. Cook, continues to call for dispersal of Detectives to the Precincts, but Chief Sean Moynahan says Detectives will not be limited to any geographical areas while solving crimes in this County. And now for Sports with Nick Eastwood! Nick!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" Nick said. "Channel Two Sports has learned that Jayne Hallerton, who was kicked off the women's varsity basketball team and her scholarship rescinded, is suing the University, its President, the Athletics Director, and the women's basketball coach for discrimination as well as Title IX violations!"

"Patricia Iceland, head of the State Organization for Women, the SOWs," continued Eastwood, "is supporting Ms. Hallerton's lawsuit, and has filed 'friend of the court' briefs to support Ms. Hallerton, who was accused of violating the University's standards of ethics by posing for photographs that were considered obscene by the University's leadership. However, none of those photos were nude, none showed the University's logo nor colors, and supporters of Ms. Hallerton say she was dressed no more improperly than one could find in Town Fitness Centers or any other gym!"

Bettina took back over: "Also in University news, Dr. Tom Harbor filed a complaint with the State that doctors have been allowed to practice medicine and University Hospital without being on Staff. He says he will bring proof of that in a formal hearing, including proof that radical, unapproved cancer treatments are being allowed at the University. But more, Dr. Harbor asserts that at least one doctor has been allowed to operate in the Trauma O.R. upon wounded police officers. Furthermore, Dr. Harbor asserts that Dr. Laura Fredricson, who is on staff as a gynecologist and surgeon at the Hospital, is not fit to be on Staff because of the salaciously sexual nature of her research with the University's Psychology Department..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So now your wife can sue for discrimination against women, as well, Commander." said Theo Washington as we drank our coffee in MCD.

"But she won't." I said. "Dr. Wellman does not like people who besmirch his University, and ambushing him in the process makes him even angrier. He's going to slap back Dr. Harbor so hard, all the king's horses and all the king's men may not find the pieces."

"Looks like your trip to Midtown didn't bear much fruit." Cindy said. Only Theo was there with us at the moment.

"We'll see." I said. "I am delighted to see that the Media is not focusing on the true key players in all this."

Theo said "Sir, I'm hearing that some people are going around the black areas of Town trying to stir up trouble. Maybe even paying people to demonstrate against the Governor for holding up the budget. And people are spreading rumors that welfare checks will be cut off, and food stamps, too."

"That's a Federal program!" Cindy exclaimed. "No one is going to get their food stamps cut off!"

Theo shrugged his shoulders. "That's what's being spread around, and people aren't stopping to consider things like that truth."

I shook my head. "God, I hate politics."

"So why are you getting involved?" Cindy asked. "Why not just let them implode on themselves?"

"Because I've been given an opening to make a difference." I said. "And the SBI issue affects me and all of us LEOs directly. It's almost my duty to get involved."

Just then a ghost came into MCD. On second look, it was Teresa Croyle, and she looked sick as a dog.

"I had my treatment over the weekend." Teresa said as she saw my look at her. "And I'm a lot better than I was yesterday."

"Good grief, Captain." I said. "Go home, get some rest. Especially if you intend to attend the Council meeting tomorrow night."

"How about I just stay in my office?" Teresa said. "You know, desk duty."

"How about couch duty?" Cindy said. She escorted Teresa out of the MCD room. Others began trickling in, and another beautiful day in our Town and County began...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:30am, Classroom 'E' began filling up with Detectives and Officers for the morning meeting to discuss the murder of Terry Schultz. Chief Moynahan sat in, and Cindy had Joanne lead it.

"Nothing further on the autopsy or toxicology tests." said J.R. Barnes. "The DNA tests are still out. Preliminary tests didn't get any hits, which is not surprising since Martoli had a clean record."

Sergeant Rudistan gave his report: "We talked to other residents. No one heard anything, no screams or anything like that. We talked to the staff at Luigi's, no one really remembered Terry nor Andy. They said it was a busy night."

"Sounds like you, Micah." Cindy said. Everyone laughed, and Rudistan grinned.

"If he's like me, why does he need to be on a dating site?" Rudistan replied jovially. Everyone laughed... except me. I just turned and looked at him.

"You know," I said, "that raises a serious point. Martoli has money, unless Myron is about to tell me differently. He has a Beamer. He's a decent looking guy, though you ladies can attest to that better than I can. Why IS he on a dating site?"

"Sir," said Teddy Parker, "online dating has become a normal thing in this day and age. People find dates as well as activity groups, friends, that sort of thing. Even elite singles, as Martoli would be considered to be, use dating sites."

Parker continued: "And sir, this may tie into something else I learned. I was able to contact some of Andy Martoli's co-workers at Dakota Funding. They all said he was a good employee, decent person, a.k.a. 'nice guy', and that he was somewhat impish at times."

Parker went on: "But one of his I.T. co-workers here in Town, a Jeff Fuqua, said he thought Andy had problems with women. He was one of those types that would ask women out in a way that turned them off, and he wasn't good at simple conversations with them. I contacted Alan Harris, who works in Dakota Funding's H.R. Department. He said there were no formal complaints about Andy Martoli, but he said it with an inflection that something unofficial might've been said."

"Okay. 'Unofficial' complaints are as good as the paper they're printed on." I said. "And I'm not good at conversations, either. Most of them are with potential perps, not potential dates." Everyone laughed tepidly. "Okay, what's next?"

"I could not get in contact with any of Terry Schultz's employees." said Teddy Parker. "I left messages, none have been returned as of yet. We got a search warrant for the office yesterday, and went in and got everything we could: papers, computers, all that. The Mouseketeers and the other Data Guyz are processing that now."

"What about the 'Red Flag' business?" I asked.

"We asked ADA Patterson about getting warrants." said Mary Milton. "She said she would talk to you about that this morning, Commander."

"That does not sound promising." I said. "Okay, I've obviously usurped this meeting from Detective Warner, and I apologize. What's next, Ms. Warner?"

"Uh, can someone run that film footage of Andy at the condo?" Joanne said.

"Sure." said Myron. Seconds later, the film was running.

"When it gets to him getting out of his car, stop it." Joanne said. Myron did her one better: he fast-forwarded to it.

"Commander," Joanne said, "Andy Martoli's drivers license lists him at 5'6". That man is far taller than five-foot-six." There were audible gasps as we realized it."

I stood up. "Yes, and I should've seen that. For all of you that say nothing gets by me, this is proof that things do. And in this case, Detective Warner saw it when I did not." I walked over to where she was sitting, two chairs to my left. "So Detective Warner is the Iron Crowbar for the day."

And with that, I handed Joanne the red crowbar. Everyone broke into applause as Joanne practically squealed with happiness.

"How long do I get to keep this, sir?" she asked as she admired it, tapping it in her hand and feeling its weight.

"Until I have to leave the building and need it for personal defense." I said, returning to my chair. I noticed the Chief smiling at the end of the table.

"Very astute obser-vayyy-tion, Mizz Warner." said the Chief.

"It explains some things, too." I said. "Okay, let's see what we can do with this knowledge." I reached over and dialed a number into the speaker-phone in the middle of the table.

"State Crime Lab, Lieutenant Perlman speaking." said the voice on the other end of the line.

"Hi Tanya, it's Commander Troy." I said. "We're in a big meeting about the Terry Schultz case, and you're on speaker phone. We need to ask about Andy Martoli's DNA."

"I was just about to call you about that!" Tanya exclaimed.

"It's not Andy Martoli's semen in Terry's vagina, is it?" I asked.

"Nothing gets by you, Commander." Tanya said. We all broke out into laughter.

"Credit where due, Tanya." I said with a grin. "This one didn't get by Detective Joanne Warner. So what's the scoop?"

"Good for Joanne!" Tanya said. "Here's what we have. Four years ago, a woman filed a paternity suit against Andy Martoli, and he gave a court-ordered semen sample. The baby wasn't his, but the State kept the DNA record on file. We just got a report back that the semen sample from your case does not match that previous sample from Andy Martoli. We have not yet found a match, and you'll have to give us 24 more hours at least while we access Federal databases and those of other States."

After everyone yelled "Bye Tanya!" and we disconnected the call, I sat back down... a very serious look on my face.

"Mouseketeers: any other data from that computer?" I asked.

"Two things." Mary said. "First, a list of women, first names only, and money amounts. They may have been the 'Red Flag' women. Second, we found another file. Apparently men could hire her to find out if their wives were cheating on the husbands. Only six cases there, three green flags, two yellow, and one red. No list of paid men employees, though. And it's all part of my overall package I asked ADA Patterson to get warrants for."

"Good." I said.

"I also searched hard through her emails to find out if she had any girlfriends." said Mary. "Women like to tell a friend if and when they're going on blind dates, for their safety, of course. But as far as I can tell, Terry didn't have any close friends. And no emails with any other women about her date with Martoli."

"That's why not having the phone is such a problem." I said. "That might tell us a lot more than the computer... the computer..."

"Uh oh, reverie time." Cindy said.

When I came out of it, I asked "Myron, did you guys get all of the footage from the condo complex that night?"

"Yes sir." said Myron. "And we have some footage of other couples that live in the complex going out or coming in. However, sir, some of the cameras are connected to motion sensor lights, and only record when movement is detected."

"Hmmmm..." I growled to myself. Just then the Duty Desk Patrolman came in after knocking.

"Chief, Commander," the young rookie said, "We just got a call from Dakota Funding. They said Andy Martoli has not come in to work today, and he hasn't called in, either. They cannot get hold of him on the phone. They called immediately because we'd called them over the weekend, and because of the morning news reports."

"Thank you." I said, dismissing the Patrol Officer.

"Warner, Parker, get over there." Cindy said.

"Hold on." I said. "Before you go, let's finish this up. I need three questions answered. One: where is Andy Martoli? And I'll just say it now... I think he's dead. Captain Ross, alert the Precincts and all patrols to be on the watch for a dead body.

"Question Two." I continued. "Motive, means, and opportunity for murdering Terry Schultz. And Question Three: who put Terry's original computer back on her table for us to find?"

"What?!" Cindy and the Chief said simultaneously. Everyone else gasped.

"Look at this this way, people." I said. "That computer has been a burr in my saddle since the moment I saw it. Why was it not taken by the perp? He took her damn cellphone, and left the computer right there. Not only is it of value, the information on it is tremendous, and could be damning to the perp or someone else. Why not take it and destroy it? My answer is that he DID."

"And that means," I continued, "the stolen computer was not her original one. Either she or someone else left that second computer as a diversion, and after it was taken the original was put back there. The original was obviously hidden while the decoy one was out there, or the original would've been taken, too. That's why I was asking about the footage."

"We'll take a second look at it, sir." said Myron.

At that moment, Joanne stood up and came over to me... and handed me back the red crowbar. "I'm out of your league, sir. I don't deserve this... not yet." There were murmurs of agreement... not at Joanne, but at what I'd just deduced.

"Sooooo," said the Chief, "how did this computer get back to the desk? Terry Schultz was dead when she hit the floor."

"Yes sir, she was." I said. "And if the person who did put the original back didn't set off the motion sensors in the building, it suggests that this person might have been in the apartment the whole time, or the manager knows more than he's told us, so far. But let's not go after him until we're sure there's nothing on the tapes."

At that point, Cindy dismissed the Detectives to the pursuit of the case. I asked Mary to come with me to see Paulina.

Part 8 - Legalities

"So how is Tasha doing?" I asked Paulina Patterson as Mary and I sat down in front of her desk in her office next to mine.

"Wonderful." Paulina said. "You got the latest pictures I sent you?"

"Sure did." I said, then added as a hint: "And I wish I could see more of her, and you."

"It's been a busy time, lately." Paulina said, somewhat demurely. "For both of us." She obviously wanted to change the subject, as she said "Okay, about the warrants for these people listed in Terry Schultz's 'Red Flag' file: Judge Folsom is handling this one personally. I did not do a good enough job explaining to him why this data was necessary, and he wants you, Don, to accompany me to his Chambers today and explain things to him. I don't think he's averse to it, but he wants to understand a lot better."

"We can do that." I said. "Should we bring Mary along, to explain any details he might want to know?"

"Er, no." Paulina said. "He's not exactly enamored of people with purple hair, even if she is a Police Detective and a brilliant data analyst."

"He should try purple hair himself before he judges others on that." Mary said with something between humor and acerbity.

"He's a judge; judging is what he does." Paulina replied. "Okay, I'll call the Courthouse now. He's only got one case today... handling preliminaries for Sharples's upcoming trial."

"I'll be really happy when that finally gets underway." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I appreciate you coming over today, Commander." said Judge Folsom as we sat before him in his chambers. "We jurists sometimes have to work at it to keep up with your ideas as you solve cases, though we've come to trust your judgment even when something sounds outrageous. So help me understand this 'red flag' situation."

"Thank you, Your Honor." I said. "Our recent murder victim, Terry Schultz, ran what was a de facto private investigation service where she sent women to test the loyalties of certain married men. The wives of these men hired Ms. Schultz to make these inquiries. In some cases, men hired her to test their wives loyalties, but there were few of those, so I'll just talk in terms of the wife hiring Ms. Shultz to inquire about the husband."

I continued: "Ms. Schultz gave her reports in the form of 'flags'. A green flag meant the husband passed the test. A yellow flag meant the husband may or may not have succumbed to the temptation or only succumbed part of the way, and a red flag meant certain infidelity. We, meaning the TCPD, are still pursuing leads regarding this. What it also means, Your Honor, is that these husbands might have had motive to do Ms. Schultz harm."