The Hot Date Mystery Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay," I said, "I really want to know about Jeff Fuqua. And Pastor Westboro."

Miller nodded. "I still can't believe you brought Westboro down, Commander. I remember watching that night on television, and ever since that night I have sat in my home or my office in pure fear, waiting for you and your people to come get me for the money laundering he made me do."

"I freely admit you didn't come up on the FBI's radar screens." I said. "So your association with him must've been small."

"It was, but it was damning." said Miller. "I'd once 'loaned' myself some money from the State Credit Union, without authorization. I'd landed in some hot water over a deal that went bad. I put the money back within three weeks, and thought I'd gotten away with it."

"Then Westboro came to see me, acting as if he were just my parish preacher." Miller said. "He had copies of all the paperwork... of the bad deal, of my taking the money and putting it back, which had forged paperwork entries... and as the movie goes, he made me an offer I could not refuse."

"I refused to route money through the Credit Union, but told him I'd set up a venture capital operation and use that." said Miller. "He accepted that, and from time to time I'd be directed to loan money to some company or other that was clearly a shell company for something behind it. Occasionally I'd have to go through the Credit Union, which wasn't really a problem, nor illegal. And I even made some money when the loans were repaid."

"Any idea who was being helped through you?" I asked.

"No." said Miller. "All I can tell you is that I got some idea that it was a politician in the area. Now I can't prove this at all, and I can't help you prove it, but Thomas P. Cook always seemed to have money for development projects when he needed it... even though banks weren't lending, his credit should have been overextended, and other developers couldn't raise the funds for the deals that Cook would then walk into."

I nodded, and Miller continued: "Jeff Fuqua was the go-between. He also was working at Dakota Funding, and probably doing something with their money on behalf of Westboro, and it was through him I learned about Andy Martoli. I also heard from Tina Yaris about Martoli. I thought I was manipulating Tina in order to get back at Terry Schultz, but then I found out Tina was fucking Fuqua, and that she was behind it all. Still, I went along with it, just to get my shot at that Schultz bitch. I'm not sure where it all went wrong."

"You were meant to be the fall guy." I said. "I'm not trying to taunt you here, either. Tina was going to let you take the fall, while Fuqua stole your money as well as embezzled from State Credit Union in your name. Then they would disappear, leaving you and her husband Tommy holding the bag and in the custody of the Police. And it really, really irritates me when people think they can easily fool me, and use my Police Force as their tools..."

Part 18 - Riots

Just after lunch, I was asked to come to the Federal Building. I took my 'Kato' with me, that being Cindy. When we got to the FBI offices, there were three people in the conference room: Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone, his boss the Deputy Director, and Special Agent Martin Nash.

"We have evaluated what you told us before, Commander." said the DepDirector. "And we think you're at least partially correct. We do think something serious is going on in that compound. But we also think that it's not integral to what Superior Bloodlines is doing."

"A couple of other strange things happened there." Martin Nash said. "Normally, an operation like that will see the FBI watching them, and they'll shut down and move on, then we'll eventually shut down and move on. In this case, we began reducing our presence up there, and only then did they start winding down. We haven't detected any movement or anyone going in or out of there for two days now."

"That could mean they realized you're onto them." I said. "Or it could mean they're ready to go with what they're going to do."

"That's true." said the DepDirector. "The shortwave chatter in the homes in the area went through the roof this morning, but has died back down as of thirty minutes go."

"Hmmm," said Cindy, "think that might be coincident to Miller's arrest and Jeff Fuqua and Alan Harris disappearing?"

"That's a good thought, Green Crowbar." I said. "You guys did get my emails about that?"

"Sure did." said Muscone. "Great job solving the murders, and now we might have something to connect Thomas P. Cook to Westboro?"

"Maybe." I said. "Nothing solid yet. I never could get a connection between Cook and Westboro before, and I was about to think they made a point to not work with each other. But now... we have a glimmer of light in the darkness. And my Mouseketeers are very eager to pursue these glimmers. If you guys want in on it, better hurry... we're not sitting back and waiting."

The DepDirector chuckled. "You never do. Okay, if your guys need our help on that, contact Jack; he's still assigned to all things Westboro. And if you get anything on what's going on around Lake Amengi-Nunagen, let me know."

"Wilco." I replied. "And any help you can find on Jeff Fuqua would be appreciated. He might have some connection to Superior Bloodlines. He and Alan Harris were embedded in a local financial institution, and Harris was H.R. and able to hire candidates to his liking, if you get my drift. And Fuqua is highly trained. That code in the security system is very good; only a 15-year-old hacker or an exceptionally well trained agent could do something like that. And Tina Yaris admitted that it was Fuqua who gave her the code to manipulate the condo security system..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 3:00pm, another group of women began marching through Campus. Soon they were joined by nearly 1000 people in a 'spontaneous' rally at The Arena. This time, the Campus Police and State Patrol were exceptionally well armed and holding a tough line.

The difference on this day was that another group formed on the southern part of Campus, near the Clock Tower, Psychology Building, and the Main Gate. The FBI's drones immediately saw it, and the information was relayed to me. I told Captain Croyle to redirect the most heavily armored of our Officers to that area, and have Precinct 2 on standby.

When the second group came to University Avenue, the Media was right there waiting. KXTC, KSTD, KSB from the City, KCAP from Midtown, all had full camera crews there, while only KXTC and KSTD had secondary camera crews covering the northern group. They obviously had been tipped off, and were part of the demonstrators' plans.

"Commander," Teresa called in on Channel 5 encrypted radio, "they're starting a sit-in on University Avenue."

"Clear 'em out." I replied. "Anyone on the street is yours to arrest." With that, Teresa ordered the retaliation.

The first armored Officers met students passively sitting in the street. They were physically picked up, moved to the Town side of the street, and their hands manacled with zip-ties behind them. Captain Croyle had several paddywagons ready, and as they filled up, more came in to haul off protesters who were now going to be charged with felony rioting.

Then the protesters started throwing rocks at the Police, then bottles, then a Molotov Cocktail flew. And Teresa had no intent on passively taking it. She went after them!


Police engaged the protesters in the street, and made like it was Police Boxing Matches day. The crowd retreated quickly to the School side of the Street, but we now had jurisdiction to hotly pursue. And we did to the point we could without endangering ourselves.

The water cannon was then brought in, and as other protesters tried a run on the northern flank, they got wet. Wet and knocked down very hard. Then the State Patrol came into the fray, and began driving the protesters back, making many arrests as they went along.

Seeing that the Police and State Patrol were very aggressively going after them, the demonstrators separated and dispersed to all parts of the Campus, which was now on full lockdown. My children were safe: they were at Todd's house in the Heritage Cloisters subdivision. Laura called to say she was fine; no one had tried to enter the Psychology Building.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Amazing." said Chief Moynahan as he hung up the phone. We were sitting in his office. Commander Harlow, Chief Emeritus Griswold, and Sheriff Allgood were with us. "That was Kelly Carnes. Between hysterical screams, she accused Commander Troy of police brutality in the use of the water cannon."

"Tell her we'll let the rioters attack her home and her husband's dental business next time." I said.

"I wouldn't mind, but she'd go bonkers to the Press over that, too." said the Chief. "Now don't get me wrong, you and Captain Croyle did exactly right today, and I will be backing you up 100%. But the Media is going to portray this in the ugliest possible terms, so get ready for the storm."

"I'll have your backs, too." said the Sheriff. "I've already issued statements praising the Police and the State Patrol, and saying I'll have no problems with even stronger measures to keep our citizens and students safe."

"Why are they doing this?" said Della. "The University issued a statement this morning that the basketball coach is going to be fired, and they're going to let Jayne Hallerton keep her scholarship, though she won't return to the basketball team. What do they have to protest now?"

"Nothing." I said. "And that's the whole point. Yesterday was for real. Students were loving getting to protest something. By way of contrast, today was planned, orchestrated, and implemented with the idea to test how far they could go against the TCPD, and to give the Media good shots of us arresting perps if we did resist their efforts to expand their attacks. Paid troublemakers, ginning up riots and chaos. And, incidentally, keeping me and Chief Griswold from going to Midtown like we were supposed to."

"But we're still going." said Griswold. "Unless you want to cancel, Crowbar?"

"No sir." I said. "I don't expect another uprising, but Captain Croyle and you guys can handle it if something crops up tonight. Perps are in County Jail, and we'll have the victory party this weekend. The Council postponed their meeting again; it'll be tomorrow night, Lord willin' and the Creek don't rise..."

Part 19 - Political Machinations

As we sped along the University-Midtown Highway in my Police SUV, Chief Griswold settled himself into the shotgun seat. As we crossed from Coltrane County into Hamilton County, he said. "Turn that little bug-killer device on."

I did so, though it killed the radio in the car and the GPS system. "Okay, Chief." I said.

"Kirkpatrick said he should've told you about what he had Hicks do." Griswold said. "I agree, but it was a simple, correctable mistake that won't happen again."

"That's okay." I said. "It didn't take me long to figure that out. And in a way it was good; it helped me show that Tom Yaris was one of the good guys in all this. He knew his wife was cheating on him, and he's a decent person. He also knew Terry hid her computer in an air vent, wrapped in an electrostatic bag to protect it. Thank God Tina never knew that."

"Yep." said Griswold. "I just wanted to back up what Kirkpatrick and Hicks did. Little things like that are what the Blood Order do. What happened to Greg Towson was wrong. At the time, I wanted to bring the hammer down on him, but Captain Charles said he thought something was wrong about the whole thing, and he arranged for Greg to go to the Fire Department. Looks like he was right and I was wrong on that."

"It worked out." I said. "And it'll work out better when we get him his son back."

"Crowbar," said the Chief, "I have been working on that for four solid years. The FBI Missing Persons Bureau has been working on it, and they're not being lazy because they know I'm going to call and ask about it every so often. We've used private investigators, we've used every resource I could possibly use... and nothing. That child and his bitch mother are just gone. They may be out of the country. They may not be alive anymore. And if you can find them, Crowbar, then you'll be more than the best Detective I've ever seen. You'll be a 'miracle worker', as Engineer Scott would tell Captain Kirk."

"Well, then, Captain Kirk, I said, "get ready to acknowledge that your Crowbar Engineer is a miracle worker. I accept your challenge." The Chief smiled, his mustaches twitching merrily.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They just voted on an infrastructure bill." said the Governor when we met him at his office in the State Capitol building. "The participants will be here in ten minutes."

In that amount of time, the legislators trickled in. First was Senator Cerone, who greeted me politely. Next was Senator Molinari, who greeted me warmly, then sat as far from Cerone as he could, their greeting barely cordial. Then came Sean Stockton and Wilson Hammonds. Finally, Katherine Woodburn deigned to come in.

"Justin Madoff will not be joining us tonight." said Woodburn. "And I pretty much came just to tell you that nothing has changed."

"That's too bad, Senator." said the Governor. "I was hoping we could at least have a cordial discussion of the issues, especially as Chief Griswold and Commander Troy came down to listen to your various viewpoints."

"I'm surprised Commander Troy is here." said Katherine. "I thought he'd be leading his Officers in their brutality against peacefully demonstrating students in his County."

"They're not peaceful demonstrators and you know it, Senator Woodburn." I said, letting a bit of acid show in my voice. "And I am not going to be distracted from getting what I want when the SBI bill is passed by both Houses of the Legislature in a bipartisan agreement."

"Are you frickin' kidding me?" The voice was not Katherine's, but Wilson Hammonds, giving himself away. Katherine was gaping, though, as was the Governor. I noticed that Molinari and Cerone were just sitting quietly, listening. Smart men. Very smart men.

"No, Representative Hammonds." I said. "Your efforts to cave in to the Democrats have been rebuffed. Too many Conservatives opposing your spineless Establishment cooperation with the other Party. But that's okay; you'll be giving me an SBI that supports local law enforcement, not the other way around."

"Even so," said Senator Stockton, "we're still at an impasse. How do you propose to break it?"

"Well," I said, "politics is the Art of the Deal, to steal a book title. It's negotiation. I'm sure there are things both sides want, and when they get them, they'll give me what I want."

"ALL I want," said Katherine Woodburn, her voice just a shade reserved from getting ugly, "is to prove you wrong. We're holding fast. There is nothing you can offer me to change my position, and my coalition is too strong to break, as is Stockton's group of hardline right-wingers."

"Why don't you and I discuss matters alone for just a few moments." I said. "The rest of you can negotiate those tax rate reductions the People of the State want to see."

Katherine didn't look happy, but she followed me into a side room. She sat down. Instead of sitting down opposite her, I brought my chair around to sit right next to her, silently admiring her gorgeous legs.

"Remember this?" I asked, holding up the bright gold button that was the bug-killer. Katherine's face grew ugly at the memory of our first meeting, and her introduction to the device. (Author's note: Dark Side of the Force, Ch 01.)

"Come on. Really?" she asked as I turned it on.

"Yes. Really." I said. "I'm not here to discuss these silly political issues with you, Senator. I'm here to get right to the point on something far, far more important."

I started in: "I spent far, far too much time and manpower, and endured far too much pain and bloodshed taking down Raymond Westboro to ever allow someone to come in and recreate his Crime Syndicate. Anyone who tries to do so will find themselves cut off at the knees, taken out... and in a very similar way to how Westboro was finished off."

I continued: "I did not fail to notice the timing of the Schultz murder, the Martoli body being found, and those recent violent demonstrations. Every time I was to come down here, something happened to keep me at home. But that no longer matters, Senator. As I said before, the SBI Bill will happen, and damn near the way I want it to."

I finished up: "My only question for you is: what do you want me to help you do to save face when you don't get your way? You can oppose it and be overrun, and say you did your best. Or you can get some juicy morsel of something in return, while pretending to be overrun. So, what shall it be?"

Katherine was peering hard at me, but she did not pretend shock or disdain at my 'premature' claim of victory. Finally, her eyes relented as she said "I'll have to think about that one. I'll let you know. Soon."

I nodded, then got up to leave. Katherine got up also. I think she was surprised when I held the door open for her; many men have long since forgotten their manners, especially the snowflakes that she was used to being around...

Part 20 - Wrap-Up

Thursday, January 26th. The Council finally had its meeting in executive session. Chief Moynahan, myself, and Captain Teresa Croyle were also in the room, wearing our duty dress uniforms. Fire Chief Quinlin and Assistant Chief Davies were here, representing the Fire Department.

Perhaps just to start trouble, John Colby opened the meeting by introducing a resolution to thank the Police Force for its timely and aggressive actions against the rioters. The motion was seconded by Dagmar Schoen.

"Are you frickin' kidding?" snarled Kelly Carnes. "That was sheer police brutality!"

"I agree." said Thomas P. Cook. "It was not hard to tell who was the more lawless... that would be the Police." He looked over at me as he said it. Teresa and I both stared him down.

"What do you have to say about that, Commander?" asked Colby.

"Objection!" yelled Carnes. "This is a Council meeting to talk about Commander Troy's allowing police brutality, not to give him a bully pulpit to defend his bullying."

"Ms. Carnes," said Loran T. Michaels, his weird little smile set on his face as if he'd just swallowed some prune juice, "the motion is whether or not to commend the Police Force. Should we not hear from those that ordered the Police actions?"

"Anything Commander Troy has to say is of no value." said Carnes. "There is no integrity behind his words."

"That's a crock of shit." said J.P. Goldman. "You have no place------"

"Language, Mr. Goldman, language." admonished the Mayor... but Goldman had heard enough.

"I KNOW WHAT THE GODDAMN LANGUAGE IS!" Goldman yelled. "And I am sick and fucking tired of these attacks on Commander Troy, whose integrity far exceeds this bitch Carnes and her pussywhipped little faggot Thomas Cook put together!" Needless to say, the room was shocked into utter silence.

"Thank you, Mr. Goldman." I said, speaking out of turn as well as verbally twisting the knife in Carnes and Cook.

"Let's please have some decorum here." said the Mayor. "And Ms. Carnes, I'd suggest you refrain from impugning the Commander's integrity-------"

"Oh, you go to hell!" snarled Carnes, again shocking the Mayor with her directness as well as her potty mouth language.

"Ms. Carnes has a distinct and correct point." said Thomas P. Cook. "This meeting should be about firing Commander Troy for the abusive police actions of the past couple of days."

"Why?" asked Teresa, unable to restrain herself any longer. "I am the one who ordered the Police response, and I'd do it again under the same conditions. The Commander simply backed me up, like the outstanding leader he is."