The Ice-Breaker Ch. 02

Story Info
Kaitlyn and Alex get to know each other.
13.6k words
4.85
62.2k
37

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/19/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,724 Followers

When Kaitlyn walked into Joel's lounge on Friday night, he rushed to her, ignoring the calls of other customers at the bar.

"Tell me everything!" he exclaimed, grasping her arms and shaking her a little. "Starting with his name."

She laughed and shrugged his hand off. Moving to the bar, she removed her layers of winter clothing and sat down on a stool. "Bring me some nachos and I will," she replied.

Gasping, Joel nodded and hurried away to do her bidding. It took him some time to get back to her. He placed her order with the kitchen and then worked through the crowd lining the bar before coming to stand in front of her. He wiped a cloth against his forehead, mopping some of the sweat. Kaitlyn smiled sympathetically at him. She didn't always come into the lounge on Fridays but she knew he'd want to hear about her date.

Although she wanted to share her news with Joel, she was still apprehensive about telling him that it was Alex Perdue. Especially since he'd spent the night. Maybe I could leave that part out, she thought as Joel poured her a draft beer.

"Don't be mad if I have to run away," Joel told her as he leaned his hands on the bar in front of her. "I want to hear everything but it's an absolute zoo in here tonight."

"Pay day," Kaitlyn replied, sipping gratefully at the ice cold beer.

Joel nodded in agreement and then grinned. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the bar and bringing their faces close together. "So..."

Kaitlyn grinned back and shrugged. "So what?"

"Don't be coy with me, Kait," Joel growled and bumped his fist against her shoulder. "I know where you live."

"All right, all right," she grumbled and rubbed her shoulder. "I went out with a guy last night."

Joel rolled his eyes. "I know that already. What's his name? What's he do? Where'd you go? Did he pay?"

Shaking her head, Kaitlyn had to laugh at Joel's rapid-fire questions. "Whoa!" she exclaimed, holding a hand up. "One thing at a time."

"Name?" Joel said through gritted teeth.

"Alex."

Joel lifted his eyebrows. Kaitlyn could tell from his expression that he wasn't going to let it go.

"Alex Perdue," she said and winced when Joel burst out laughing.

"I knew it!" he cried, pointing a finger at her.

She scowled and swatted his hand down. "Stop that! People are staring."

Glancing around, Joel waved and apologized to those nearest to them.

"What do you mean, 'you knew it?'" Kaitlyn demanded.

"I saw you guys talking the other night. I knew something was going on." Joel grinned at her. "Where did he take you?" He paused and frowned. "Wait a sec, wasn't he playing last night?"

"Yeah, we met at The Rose and Crown on 15th for drinks after the game."

Joel's eyes popped wide open and he whistled. "He got you to stay up late on your night off?"

"It wasn't that late," she protested but flushed at his words. It was true; on her nights off, she was generally out cold on her couch, or in bed, by nine.

"Late enough," Joel countered and smiled again. "Well, that's good. A neutral date, drinks and all. How late did you stay out with him?"

"Not very late," she replied, chewing on the inside of her cheek and averting her eyes. Not late at all, she added silently. Since we moved on to my place where we slept together. Sort of.

Joel knew her too well. He started to chuckle and opened his mouth to pepper her with more questions but someone called his name. He shot her a sly smile before moving off, letting her know that he wasn't done with her yet. She sighed and drank some more beer.

Kaitlyn let her eyes wander to the big screens around the room. There were a couple different games being shown, as well as some highlights from the Super Bowl last Sunday. A few minutes later, a waitress stopped by in front of her with a plate of nachos. Smiling and thanking her, Kaitlyn dug in, feeling ravenous. Eventually her cousin came back to her, looking even more run off his feet, but he smiled when he saw her nacho plate picked almost clean.

"You sure know how to pack it away, Kait," he said and poured her another drink, a soft drink this time.

"Bite me," she replied without malice. She was full and relaxed and didn't mind her cousin's jokes.

"I want to hear more," he said.

Kaitlyn glanced around before answering. The lounge had quieted down some, most of the noise in the building now coming from the main dining room. There was no one sitting on either side of her. She figured now was as good a time as any to share.

"There's not much to tell," she told her cousin, who raised his eyebrows at her. "We had a couple drinks and then went home."

"Whose home?" Joel demanded.

Kaitlyn opened her mouth to protest his insinuation but felt her cheeks coloring. Joel knew her too well and knew her expressions as well as she knew his. He stared open-mouthed at her before laughing and slapping a hand on the bar.

"Kaitlyn, you little slut!"

"For crying out loud, Joel, keep your voice down!" she hissed at him.

"I'm sorry," he said and leaned forward to pat her hand. "Don't feel embarrassed about going home with Alex. He seems like a good guy. You could do far worse."

"I didn't go home with him," she snapped, still feeling embarrassed by his outburst.

"Oh? He came to your place then? I hope you didn't make him late for practice this morning."

At her silence, Joel laughed again.

"Shut up, shut up!" she muttered, shaking her head and holding a hand to her forehead.

"I'm sorry, Kait. This is just so unlike you."

Kaitlyn looked up and saw that Joel was no longer laughing at her. She smiled weakly and glanced around to be sure no one else was staring.

"You don't have to tell me everything, if you don't want."

Kaitlyn blew her breath out noisily and shook her head. "There's not much to tell. He came to my place and we watched a movie. Well, we started watching a movie and then I fell asleep. That's all."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Joel studied her for a moment, not saying anything until Kaitlyn threw her hands up in the air.

"All right!" she exclaimed. "He spent the night on my couch and we had breakfast together this morning, too. Happy now?"

Instead of laughing at her again, as she'd expected, he leaned forward and spoke in a low tone so no one could overhear. "Kaitlyn, you didn't do anything wrong."

She glared at him. "I know that."

"Then why are you acting like this is a bad thing?"

"Isn't it?"

"Going on a date with a nice guy?"

"No, going on a date with a hockey player."

Joel blinked and straightened. "Well, not everyone has dated a hockey player, but there's no reason you can't deal with him the same way you would any other guy."

"Oh no? What about when he's away for days at a time?"

Joel shrugged and wiped a spot on the bar with his cloth. "How is that any different from a couple where one travels for business?"

"That's not the point."

"Sounds like that's what you're saying," Joel replied and met her gaze steadily. "Don't use that as an excuse." He paused and shrugged as a smile came across his face. "Besides, the league is taking a break for two weeks, for the Winter Olympics."

"Alex mentioned that. So the whole league just stops?"

"Basically. A bunch of players from all across the league will be competing in the games."

"I didn't know they did that."

Joel cocked an eyebrow at her and smirked. "If you paid more attention to sports, you might know about it."

Now it was Kaitlyn who landed a playful punch on his shoulder. He grinned and caught her hand in his before she could draw it away. He gave her fingers a squeeze and released her.

"Give yourself a few more dates before you write him off as a carousing hockey player."

Kaitlyn met her cousin's eyes and nodded. Carouser wouldn't be the first word that came to mind when she thought of Alex. Or the tenth, or even hundredth. He did seem like a good guy, funny and relaxed. And downright sexy, she added, ignoring the look Joel gave her as her cheeks colored.

"Thanks for dinner," she said and hopped off her stool.

"Wait a minute." He held up a hand. "You didn't finish telling me about your date."

"You said I didn't have to."

"Well, I was just trying to be nice," he scoffed and leaned against the bar. "I want all the juicy details."

Kaitlyn laughed as she pulled her jacket on. "No details for you, my friend."

"Oh, come on, Kait. Are you even going to see him again?"

Shrugging, Kaitlyn wrapped her scarf around her face and slid her fingers into her gloves. "I don't know. He said he'd call me so I guess we'll see."

"Kait!" Joel called her name as she turned to walk away.

She threw a kiss over her shoulder and waggled her fingers in a good-bye wave, laughing when she saw the disappointed look on Joel's face.

***

Alex grinned as he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and called Kaitlyn. He was sitting in his car following the last game of the month against Anaheim, waiting for the car to warm up. He'd promised Kaitlyn he'd call and so he did, wondering if she'd even still be awake. When the phone rang several times with no answer, his smile dimmed and he figured she'd gone to bed. He was about to give up and end the call when the ringing was interrupted with a clatter and mumbled oath. Alex chuckled and waited for the sound of Kaitlyn's voice.

"Hello?"

She sounded husky and Alex stirred in his seat, telling himself not to get too excited. "Hi, Kaitlyn."

"Alex?"

"Yeah. Were you expecting another call at eleven o'clock tonight?"

She laughed. "No. I just... I wasn't sure if you'd call."

"I said I would, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did."

They fell silent and Alex listened to her breathing for a moment. "Uh, so... did I wake you?"

"Yes, you did," she replied and laughed again. "But I'm just an old lady who can't seem to stay up past nine P.M."

"You're not old," Alex said with a laugh.

"It's the old people who can't stay up past nine on a Saturday night."

"Well, you've got me there."

A pause. "Thanks, Alex. You do know how to make a girl feel good about herself, don't you?"

Alex laughed, enjoying her playful tone. He wished he'd called her the day before but he hadn't wanted to push it. She was friendly and had kissed him back yesterday morning before they'd parted, but he was still unsure. He worried all afternoon and all day Saturday if he'd crossed a line by sleeping on her couch. Since she didn't sound upset now, he figured she didn't mind.

"I try not to overwhelm a woman with my many talents," he told her. "It can be dangerous."

"Oh yeah? How's that?"

"Well, if I lay it on real thick, women can't help falling all over me."

"Hmm, I can see how that would be a problem for you."

In spite of the fact that he couldn't see her face, Alex knew she was rolling her eyes. His groin started tingling and he shifted again.

"So now that I've woken you up, can I come over?"

"What for?"

"Ouch!" he exclaimed with a mock wounded gasp. "I'm not the only one who knows how to sweet talk the opposite sex."

Kaitlyn's bright laughter filled his ear and Alex rested his head against his seat, shutting his eyes. "I guess I don't have as much practice as you do."

"Even though you're an old lady?" he tossed back.

Again, she rewarded him with a laugh that had his pants constricting him. "I'm twenty-four, thank you very much."

"Hmm, then that puts us on even footing."

"You're twenty-four?"

"I turn twenty-six next month."

"No wonder you're so well versed in women. All that extra experience."

Now it was Alex's turn to laugh. He straightened in his seat and reached for the gear shift; the car was more than warm enough for him now. "I think you just called me old."

"You think? Oh dear, have you taken one too many hits over the years, Alex?"

"Maybe," he murmured. "So..."

"So...?" she echoed, a question in the word.

"You're not going to invite me over then." He said it as more of a statement than a question.

"Is that what you're waiting for? An invitation?"

"A gentleman usually does."

"What about you?" she asked with a snicker.

Alex rolled his eyes but couldn't help grinning. She was being so lively for someone he'd just woken up. "Well, I'm just driving up to your front door, gorgeous."

"Really?" She sounded surprised and excited, which gave Alex a sense of relief. He listened to some rustling and then she was asking where he was. "I can't see your car."

Alex laughed outright as he turned his car onto MacLeod Trail, just leaving the Saddledome. "I'm sorry. I lied, Kaitlyn. I've just left the 'dome."

"Oh."

Was that disappointment he now heard in her voice? He grinned like an idiot and pressed his foot down heavier on the gas pedal.

"It should take me about fifteen minutes to get to your place," Alex told her, racing beneath a yellow light as he spoke.

"From the Saddledome?" She laughed. "All right, but don't blame me if you get a speeding ticket."

He laughed and promised he wouldn't. They hung up and Alex worked hard to not go too fast. Just as he had guessed, he pulled into the parking lot of Kaitlyn's building fifteen minutes after their conversation ended. He forced himself to walk at a normal pace across the parking lot to the main doors, not wanting to look like a fool in case she was watching from her apartment. After she buzzed him in, he bounded up the stairs, choosing not to wait for the elevator.

"Hey," he greeted her breathlessly as he hurried down the hallway.

She was peering out of her doorway as he approached. Alex swept her form with his eyes, eagerly taking in her appearance. She was dressed comfortably in loose black pants with a drawstring waist and a blue fleece pullover with a zipper at the neck. Alex grinned as he took in her bare toes peeking out from under the pants.

"You weren't kidding about how long it would take you to get here," she said and waved him inside, locking the door behind him. "Did you even stop once?"

"Nope," he replied as he toed his shoes off and unzipped his jacket. He gave her a wink, pleased when he saw color creep into her cheeks. "I probably should have."

With a laugh, Kaitlyn led the way into her apartment. He walked in close behind her, admiring the way her bottom filled out her pants.

"Can I get you something to drink?"

"You got any beer?" he asked.

Her eyebrows lifted and she smirked. "At this time of night?"

"God, you are old," he laughed. "It's Saturday! Do you know how many people are just starting their nights?"

Kaitlyn smiled sheepishly at him before walking into her kitchen. "I guess I'm a little out of touch." She returned a minute later, carrying two bottles of Keith's Red Amber Ale.

Alex accepted his with a 'thank you,' and slid an arm around her waist before she could move away. He bent low and brushed his lips over hers. Keeping it brief, Alex watched her face for her reaction, crowing silently when she sucked in a surprised breath and didn't push him away. When she stared at him, a hint of expectation in her eyes, Alex kissed her again.

This time, he pressed more firmly, sliding their lips together before stroking her bottom lip with his tongue. Her mouth dropped open on a sigh and he took the kiss deeper, gladly sliding his tongue inside. She held onto him with her free hand as Alex lazily explored her mouth, teasing her tongue with his. He felt his body responding to the warmth of hers and the sweet silkiness of her mouth.

Only when he was afraid they'd both drop their bottles did Alex pull away. He eased out of the kiss, planting soft, teasing kisses on the corner of her lips before straightening. She met his gaze with a cloudy look in her eyes and he bit back a groan.

"Well, hello to you, too," she murmured, her voice husky.

Alex chuckled and brushed his thumb over the flush in her cheeks before sliding his hand down her arm to grasp her fingers. When she didn't seem inclined to move, he led the way to her couch, gently tugging until she sat down next to him. Silently they each raised their bottles to their lips and took a long sip. Alex was grinning as he set his on the table in front of them.

"Well," she said, taking another long sip before setting hers down. "You want to finish watching Troy?"

"I already did," he reminded her. "Sort of. I fell asleep with about ten minutes left."

"Oh." She sucked her lower lip into her mouth and Alex watched the way her brow furrowed. "Well, you can pick out a different movie."

He lifted his eyebrows and shook his head. "No, thanks. I've already seen your selection. I'll pass."

She rolled her eyes at him. "Then what do you suggest?"

He grinned then and watched her eyes widen as he reached for her. "I can think of something much more fun," he murmured against her lips.

Her body bent against his and he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close. She braced herself against his chest, her palms warm. Teasing her at first, he brushed his lips over hers, licking the corners of her mouth and sliding away before her tongue could touch his. She made a noise of protest and her fingertips pressed into his chest.

Chuckling, he drew back and looked into her foggy green eyes. "Something wrong?"

She shook her head mutely, her mouth hanging open as she inhaled rapidly.

Alex brought one hand up and laid his palm against her warm cheek. She exhaled and leaned into his caress, a smile touching her full pink lips.

God, she's gorgeous, he thought, taking in her heavy eyes and pretty smile.

"You're beautiful," he murmured out loud, feeling his cock stir at her answering giggle.

"Who are you trying to impress?" she asked coyly.

"No one," he replied and brushed another kiss over her lips. "I'm just letting you know what I think."

She blinked at him and he swallowed around the sudden thickness in his throat. The corners of her mouth curled upwards and she slipped her hands up his chest to wrap around his shoulders.

"I think..." she started to say and then paused.

"What?" he prompted, eager to know what she was thinking.

"I think we should watch a movie," she finished and smiled apologetically when his smile disappeared.

"Did I do something wrong?" he couldn't help asking.

Shaking her head, she leaned forward to kiss him. He tightened his hold but she broke away with a breathless laugh before they got carried away.

"I just... I don't want to rush," she whispered, glancing away shyly. "We just met."

Alex nodded, understanding her hesitation. He hadn't meant to take things too far, not that he'd have minded. He hadn't even meant to kiss her until the end of his visit. It was all her fault. She was just too damn sexy for him to be able to think clearly.

"All right," he agreed. "You pick a movie this time."

She laughed and nodded, giving him another quick peck before moving off the couch. A few minutes later, they settled comfortably against each other as the movie started. Alex was relieved to see that it was more comedy than romance. If he had to sit next to her while some good-looking couple on TV got busy, he couldn't be held responsible for his own actions.

As it was, he had a hard time concentrating on the movie. At first, Kaitlyn held herself rigidly at his side, barely allowing them to touch along on the outside of their arms. Then he shifted, putting his arm around her shoulders and stretching his legs out to rest on the table in front of them. She reclined against his side, taking a deep breath and Alex stared hard at the television screen, willing his body not to react. After what felt like ages, she moved again, curling even more against him and giving a contented little sigh that had him clenching his jaw. He slid his hand from her shoulder down to her elbow, then all the way back up again. When he did it a second time with no reaction, he froze and angled his head to peer down at her.

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,724 Followers